Fall of Antiqua

Mellow

• 1 month later...

anything going on here guys.. almost two months and no posts.. any updates?? :blink:

nothings going on. at all. theres been no new concepts, and i was the only one making models. the only thing that was made was models, that logo, and a handful of concepts. the concept artists all got burned out and left.I guarantee you someone in the project will get upset with me posting this. but it needs to be said at this point. I left the project last night. 

anything going on here guys.. almost two months and no posts.. any updates?? :blink:

nothings going on. at all. theres been no new concepts, and i was the only one making models. the only thing that was made was models, that logo, and a handful of concepts. the concept artists all got burned out and left.I guarantee you someone in the project will get upset with me posting this. but it needs to be said at this point. I left the project last night. 

That's really a shame, this project sounded really cool. If this does get canceled guys, lets just let it go no. This community has zero room for any more drama. Ya I haven't really been hear when its happened but from what I've read and heard, its really bad stuff so please, no one loose your shit over this.

No decisions have been made yet. As Bobbo said, all of the concept artists jumped the gun. If perchance Bobbo had waited around for a minute or two before leaving, I would've introduced someone else who would have been very willing to do our concepts. Now not only are we short on concept artists, but also 3D modelers. I already have plans for a new artist, however. Another 3D artist will be trickier to find.

No decisions have been made yet. As Bobbo said, all of the concept artists jumped the gun. If perchance Bobbo had waited around for a minute or two before leaving, I would've introduced someone else who would have been very willing to do our concepts. Now not only are we short on concept artists, but also 3D modelers. I already have plans for a new artist, however. Another 3D artist will be trickier to find.

I would love to help but me being a new modder and the fact that i'm already working on my own project would be a problem. Have you guys been over to Maco64? there seem to be allot of modders there, hell Ill even ask around for some help myself if you would like me to.

Uhm, yeah, Hi, still a concept artist and still with the project. K?K.

Uhm, yeah, Hi, still a concept artist and still with the project. K?K.

Well yeah, but you're busy most of the time and can't shoulder all of the concepts. 

Anyway, I've sorted things out with Bobbo. We're back on track.

• Like 1

I believe this is the problem with big teams. (don't shoot me, I'm just saying)

(I cant remember where exactly I found this, because a while back I just documented all the helpful Zelda modding stuff I could find. And this just happens to be one of the things I found. Here, just read it...)

Teams... yeah...Teams are one of the leading reasons that projects fail. This should be on top, but it's not as common to be seen as losers making their trash public. Here's what happens, though. You have a team of fifteen people, for example. You have a three guys who beta test (see "When to have beta testers is good to know."), you have two "texture-ers" (check out "Why Rice's is trash."), about five "General Modders" who are sissies and edit text and Link's tunic color and stuff for you, modelers, "remodelers," for some reason, and some storyline designers. Here's what goes down. You have three useless positions, two people fighting about who's making what textures and who's better (and trying to organize texture folders at the same time), all of the General Modders constantly fighting each other, modelers making TERRIBLE models in SketchUp because they're the best people you can afford (not saying there isn't anything wrong with SketchUp- I use it), and remodelers making Link's sword look "cooler" and not the way you want it to be. Your storyline designers are piling ideas all over your desk for what they want. What am I getting at? This stuff leads to FAILURE! A FAILING team! The best thing you should do for your project is to make it either a one man team or just to have three others helping you (AT MOST!) that know what they're doing. If they betray you, boo hoo. You can be a one-man man on your project and see it prosper- all on your own. You can always reference them for quick jobs (people just want the credit most of the time and for their name to be in a .txt file full of credits). Making a big team (and sometimes a team at all) is a horrible idea most of the time. Be careful when forming a team.

I'm not saying Project Antiqua has crappy modders or any thing like that. (believe me, I've seen Bobbo's maps on other threads and they are bad-ass. Same go's for Kusia's art, and faceless's music, there all top-notch.) But as far as communicating and getting things done as a team, and with only a hand full of art and some maps, I'm just saying, from my point of view, Its not looking too promising.

Glad you guys are still working on it, there's still people like me I'm sure who are waiting to play this thing. I've said it before to someone else, it's not that much fun playing your own hack, most of the fun is in seeing your work in action, and the idea's of how people will like certain things as you are creating them. Even then I rarely feel passionate about modding, but I've found a new spark recently. So I'm encouraging you guys not to give up, just take breaks when needed. I know how slow of a process it can be working on a hack. Building dungeon puzzles are the biggest pain for me.. it takes so much thought to decide what you want, and I find myself going back and changing things over a hundred different times. So, don't give up, just remember dat feel people are going to get once they find themselves playing a refreshed new take on their favorite series.

• Like 1

Teams... yeah...Teams are one of the leading reasons that projects fail. This should be on top, but it's not as common to be seen as losers making their trash public. Here's what happens, though. You have a team of fifteen people, for example. You have a three guys who beta test (see "When to have beta testers is good to know."), you have two "texture-ers" (check out "Why Rice's is trash."), about five "General Modders" who are sissies and edit text and Link's tunic color and stuff for you, modelers, "remodelers," for some reason, and some storyline designers. Here's what goes down. You have three useless positions, two people fighting about who's making what textures and who's better (and trying to organize texture folders at the same time), all of the General Modders constantly fighting each other, modelers making TERRIBLE models in SketchUp because they're the best people you can afford (not saying there isn't anything wrong with SketchUp- I use it), and remodelers making Link's sword look "cooler" and not the way you want it to be. Your storyline designers are piling ideas all over your desk for what they want. What am I getting at? This stuff leads to FAILURE! A FAILING team! The best thing you should do for your project is to make it either a one man team or just to have three others helping you (AT MOST!) that know what they're doing. If they betray you, boo hoo. You can be a one-man man on your project and see it prosper- all on your own. You can always reference them for quick jobs (people just want the credit most of the time and for their name to be in a .txt file full of credits). Making a big team (and sometimes a team at all) is a horrible idea most of the time. Be careful when forming a team.

While I kind of agree with the sentiment, whoever wrote that sounds pretty damn butthurt. I lol'd.

The ultimate factor in terms of teams is making sure that there's clear creative direction. Nothing more, nothing less. People need to be able to sit back and say; 'well, in light of your opinions, I can see why this might not be a viable idea/might not fit in with the overall vision for the project'. This applies to both professional and hobby projects. The larger the scope of the project, the more you need to be able to keep the overall creative vision in mind. It doesn't help matters when you're working with a system that you don't fully understand, but that's going to be an issue for a while for most projects anyway.

As far as the actual asset creation goes, it does help to have consistency between assets, which is why Antiqua has already tabled a fairly strong idea of the visual style and overall tone we're going with.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.