General anime/manga/LN thread

xdaniel

Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S episode 24 (END)

"Judgment desu no!" - "What?!"

This was an awesome finale to an overall good arc, and to a great series. The finale might've been a bit over-the-top, like with the big-ass mecha that Kongou more or less just pulled out of her hat and with Saten piloting it... actually, to hell with that, Saten piloting it was AWESOME <3

Anyway, over-the-top or not, it was a fine episode that ended up solidifying the bridge, the link between this arc and the Sisters arc, such as regarding Shinobu and her work on both the Sisters' and Febri & Janie, or regarding Mikoto and her actually relying on her friends for once. Yes, yes, filler arc, I know, I know, but I don't care! I honestly don't particularly care about the canon or lore of the Toaru series overall, as long as something doesn't totally contradict something that's been established before, and I don't think this arc does that. And even if it does... well, I don't care. Railgun is better than Index anyway (there, I said it)

Final words about the episode and series in general, totally loved the Sisters arc, liked the Febri arc very much, I'm a sucker for "openings used as insert songs in certain situations" and thus loved the musical callbacks to the first season and the OVA - I did NOT expect LEVEL5 ~judgelight~! <3 -, loved the little things in the episode, such as Mugino being royally pissed that Study used her as a data source for copying her powers, or Saten's comment of "Just so you know, I'm a Level 0!", or as already mentioned, the whole of Judgment using Kuroko's catchphrase... just many, many little things, in this episode and the whole season.

...well, with that and a bit of wistfulness, another glimpse into Academy City from Mikoto Misaka's point of view ends. So, J.C. Staff, Railgun, see you in another three and a half years?

• Like 1

The 2013 Fall season is upon us, with...

...among the shows I consider picking up, plus/minus a few others. Although IS2 is probably a given, seeing how I liked the first season a lot...

I also picked up a show from earlier this year (last season, I believe), which I didn't have on my radar for several reasons, ex. it being a spin-off in a franchise I'm just casually aware of: Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya. Actually not sure what prompted me to watch the first episode of this, but that one was fun, funny and likeable. Not sure what'll happen later on - hopefully no Madoka-level drama; drama is okay, just not that much - I suppose I'll just keep watching it.

I´m a huge fan of the Studio Ghibli movies BUT i have to say that "Toki o Kakeru Shoujo" has surpassed the most of them easily ( at least in my opinion, as i am a huge time travel and time warp fan). It has a nice plot, very realistic characters, a nice piano soundtrack, some cool twists and it contains a "simple" but very precious life-lesson. Even if the first half of the movie wasn´t outstanding...the 2nd one made it an awesome movie^^ 

that movie totally made my day (^_^)

Golly, you guys still need to watch Paranoia Agent. Srsly.

I watched, uh... an episode or two when it aired on Animax here. I heard good things about it, at least! ...seriously tho, it's a show that's been in the back of my head for years because of its premise and Satoshi Kon, but that I never really watched...

ソードアートオンライン

I am controlling your brain...

The from the premise similar ログ・ホライズン has just started airing, which is already being compared to that, and which I just started watching - was a good first episode, and the Engrish OP is catchy as hell.

I´m a huge fan of the Studio Ghibli movies BUT i have to say that "Toki o Kakeru Shoujo" has surpassed the most of them easily ( at least in my opinion, as i am a huge time travel and time warp fan). It has a nice plot, very realistic characters, a nice piano soundtrack, some cool twists and it contains a "simple" but very precious life-lesson. Even if the first half of the movie wasn´t outstanding...the 2nd one made it an awesome movie^^ 

that movie totally made my day ( ^_^)

Like with Paranoia Agent, Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo is something I've had on my mind for a while now, but still haven't watched... Hell, it was shown on public TV here before even (on 3sat, I think?), so I have even less of an excuse for not having seen it yet as I do for Paranoia Agent...

A few random notes:

• I think I'm kinda hyping myself for Log Horizon after that first episode. I really liked it overall, I really like the characters so far in particular (Akatsuki!! <3), or how the world actually reminds me of an (MMO)RPG thanks to such little things as monsters dropping loot, etc., etc. And again, dat OP! Sooo chock-full of Engrish but gets you sooo pumped! ...I just hope all this will not end in disappointment, but I'm positive that it'll at least not turn into a total trainwreck... one reason being that it's on NHK Educational TV, tho that's still no guarantee...

• Holy shit, Seitokai Yakuindomo is getting a second season! Hell yeah!! It took three years and a bunch of scattered OVAs, but it's happening!! Damn, I really am excited for this, and unlike Log Horizon above (as of right now anyway) I'm very positive that this won't disappoint me, as the first season was just great and the OVAs left me wanting more :D

• And in less positive news - well, for me personally at least - I am totally behind with Monogatari Series 2nd Season (2 episodes?), Prisma Illya (only watched 1 out of 10 so far), C3-bu (watched roughly half and it's finished airing by now) and haven't even started any of the shows of this season that I was interested in, besides LH...

• Holy shit, Seitokai Yakuindomo is getting a second season! Hell yeah!! It took three years and a bunch of scattered OVAs, but it's happening!! Damn, I really am excited for this, and unlike Log Horizon above (as of right now anyway) I'm very positive that this won't disappoint me, as the first season was just great and the OVAs left me wanting more :D

Epic. It's gonna be awesome for sure! haha cant wait.

• Like 1

"#loghorizon 02, more world-building & explanation, a nicely tactical battle w/ fine BGM, and a mission for Shiroe & co. Off we go!"

...as I tweeted two or so days ago. I think I won't be disappointed by LH - it might not set the world of anime on fire, break new ground, etc., but I'm sure it'll turn out as a solid show.

...also, not yay for falling behind even further as I appear to have come down with a cold...

"#loghorizon 02, more world-building & explanation, a nicely tactical battle w/ fine BGM, and a mission for Shiroe & co. Off we go!"

...as I tweeted two or so days ago. I think I won't be disappointed by LH - it might not set the world of anime on fire, break new ground, etc., but I'm sure it'll turn out as a solid show.

...also, not yay for falling behind even further as I appear to have come down with a cold...

Yeah. Log Horizon seems pretty cool so far. I'm pretty sure it won't disappoint either. I like high fantasy shows like that that also have good depth and explanition. It seems to be a bit blended with psychological genre whitch I like in shows.

I've been hit with a cold for about 4 weeks and its slowly going now. Really sucks :(

Also currently watching Magi season 2. I really enjoyed the first season and so far it seems to be on the same level as the first season.

shows i've finished recently:

• Another: one of the most thrilling storys i´ve ever seen. there is really nothing bad i could say..it was just an awesome anime^^
  • Working!/wagnaria:  I don´t know what to say...A lolicon goes to work at a family restaurant full of weird and unique co-workers..thats pretty much it...but even with almost no story it did great job in entertaining^^
  • Servant x service: its pretty much a little bit more "grown up" successor of Working! but not as funny as working! in my opinion.
  • Pokemon Origin: thats what i call pokemon^^ finally a pokemon series without that looser ash and the original plot of the game. sadly it only had 4 episodes...

my thoughts about the airing animes i´ve started:

• Kyokai no Kanata: exactly what i expacted, a nice Fantasy/Mystery with a few Moe-girls and an interesting story. 
  • Nagi no Asukara : the most beautiful anime i´ve ever seen (i´m speaking of the animations). that anime seems to be a little bit childish but interesting as well.
  • Golden Time: Finally a comedy/romance anime with adult characters.they go to partys, drinking etc^^ not outstanding.. but funny for sure :D

I'm interested in Pokemon Origins though I do have to say Ash wasn't as much of a looser in the manga (maybe still one, but I didn't read much), he only started training to become a pokemon master because he learned it was the only way he could get away with not going to school. He also found Pikachu chewing electrical wire at his house.

Yeah, watched Pokemon Origins just recently. It was amazing. Way better than the original pokémon series. And I'd say that I do have the right to say that since I've seen over 600 episodes of the original series at this point.

Also watched D.Gray-man just recently. It was great. It was much better than I expected it to be. Long running series usually drag everything out with nonsense so that I lose interest over time, this was not the case this time around.

I'm currently watching season 2 of Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu. and ohh god. This anime. I read some reviews about it before deciding to watch it, and there were a lot of people mentioning that they were laughing out loud at times. I thought they were exaggerating. Well, they weren't. I can without a doubt say that I've never seen an anime series before where I've laughed as much, not even Gintama is close to it. I never thought I'd experience an anime series where I actually can't keep myself from laughing, on multiple occasions.

• Like 1

Silver > *

I mean, as a character, he grew the most. He started out as a total fucking jerk, who used Pokemon as tools, but ended up growing and maturing, eventually being a lot kinder. He still maintained a stoic demeanor, but he became a lot more respectable, even more caring towards Pokemon. I mean hell, his Golbat evolved to Crobat, a feat manageable only by Golbat having a high enough affection rating.

Anyway, on topic of anime, been watching Crush Gear Turbo a bit lately.

I am controlling your brain...

Anyway, on topic of anime, been watching Crush Gear Turbo a bit lately.

The only show of its kind (compare ex. Beyblade) that I actually liked, and where I could suspend my disbelief. I have a big problem doing that, even with shows that aren't necessarily completely realistic, but here... like, ex. the Shining Sword Breaker should be totally impossible to pull off, etc., but what the hell, it's awesome!

Wonder if I can still track down the remaining DVDs I never got back then...

I've picked up two new series now that I've finished bakatest.

And this times it's Little Busters!: Refrain (watched through the first season the last few days) and Eureka Seven.

Decided to gives Little Busters! a try since it's written by Key, who've made other series the I like a lot, such as Clannad and Angel Beats!. I have to say that I like it a lot so far. At the beginning it was heavily focusing on nonsense comedy and everyday life, but at some point it started to shift focus to the relationship between people and their feelings, especially in season 2. I'd say that this anime isn't for everyone though, I can see why a lot of people don't like it, and it really does seem to struggle with deciding what genre it's supposed to be. (season 1 and 2 could easily have been separate anime series if they changed the cast, they're very different)

asad for Eureka Seven, it's actually something relatively new to me. This is the second time I watch a mecha anime, the other one being Code Geass, even though I've seen at least 40 anime series by now. It was a welcome change for me, and I'm happy they they actually focus on things other than the machines, and have well developed characters. Can't really say much more since I don't usually watch mecha.

• Like 1

I´m still not sure about Little Busters!...I´ve watched the first 3-4 episodes but i didn´t liked them at all..

I LOVE the Key-Animes...especially Clannad and it also wasn´t that good at the beginning so i guess I should give Little Busters! at least a chance.

I also finally watched these 4 episodes Log Horizon and i liked them a lot :D I liked them even more than the first 4 episodes of SAO... i think its because Log Horizon is more like a real MMORPG and damn...it would be an awesome one :D I totally love the skill-system and the game world is inspired by the real world in half of its size... I really think thats an amazing idea :D 

• Like 1

Just quoting myself real quick again:

"#loghorizon 03, a fun (& funny) episode, more background on the charas & glimpses of the expansion's content and the bad guys"
"#loghorizon 04, honestly loving how "explanation-heavy" the show is; also lol at the final blow vs Demikas, nice one! XD"

Certainly looking forward to where it's going ^^

(Also, if it's not already obvious: Akatsuki FTW!! <3 <3)

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.