General anime/manga/LN thread

xdaniel

So, yeah, general anime thread.

I'm currently following 4 series: IS Infinite Stratos, Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu, Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara Ne!! and Mahou Shoujo (Puella Magi) Madoka Magica.

And Madoka Magica...

... is a nightmare. Literally. Worse than Ga-Rei Zero or Alien Nine in my opinion, if those ring any bells. Cute-looking magical girl anime where the girls die horrible, gruesome deaths? Yes, you get that here. Only one girl so far, but I believe that Madoka will be the only one left alive once it's over. And yet I want to see what happens next. Begging the creators for mercy with every episode from now on.

• 2 months later...

I shall drag this thread out again, just like I recently dragged out my MyAnimeList account again!

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/xdanielDZD - missing a bunch of series I dropped, but the completed series list is mostly, well, complete (missing ex. Evangelion, Beck, and probably a few others...)

I've been working my way through Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, still need to finish watching 2nd GIG and Solid State Society. Love the series and I'm kind of sad to be getting to the end of it. Going to start watching Desert Punk soon, finish watching Eden of the East (since I've managed to lose the series twice due to hard drive failure and then accidental deletion :P; ) and maybe rewatch Burn-Up! Excess. Yet to watch FMA: Brotherhood all the way through, I'm interested to see how closely it follows the manga, though. So far it's pretty close.

I've started reading the Freezing manga, and watched the first two episodes of the anime. It's very interesting to see a Korean working in a Japanese publication, and I plan to follow this to see how it develops. So far it's quite interesting, though some of the character names make me cringe a little. Been reading Tsubame Syndrome too, and the art changes over the course of the manga are surprisingly swiftly. Whether it's down to editorial interference or simply the artist changing as the production developed, I don't know but it's a bit disconcerting.

Going to track down Violinist of Hameln too sometimes soon, and see if I can find a group that's still working on the second manga.

• 2 weeks later...

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Episodes 11 & 12. SPOILERS naturally, so if you're actually watching it and have not watched the finale yet, DON'T CLICK this link: http://xdany87.livejournal.com/141638.html

And if you want something more professional: http://randomc.net/2011/04/21/mahou-shoujo-madoka-magica-11-12-end/

That game I can play as well :P

Watching...

Aチャンネル

電波女と青春男

花咲くいろは

まりあ†ほりっく あらいぶ

日常

俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない (True Route)

I've only gotten into anime relatively recently, so I have only seen Death note, Cowboy Bebop, and Evangelion. I guess it is nice to start with the classics :P Plan on watching Bleach soon

And of course I watched Dragonball Z religiously when toonami was still around...

That made me wonder just now... What was the first show I watched knowing that it was what we know as "anime"?

I think the quartet of Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball (not Z), Digimon Adventure and Pokemon might've been that for me, back in 1997/1998 or so. Prior to that, I had already seen shows that I now know were anime, but those are the first ones where I knew right from the start that they were from Japan - in the case of Pokemon with a detour via the USA, Dragon Ball with a detour via France -, etc., etc.

Sailor Moon I don't really remember much of nowadays - besides that Mercury might've been my first "2D crush" come to think of it, followed by Pokemon's Misty :P -, I still like the original Dragon Ball way more than Z or GT, I've been a really big Digimon fan for the longest time (not so much now, but still very fond of it) and can still sing along a bunch of the German songs from the first few seasons - DA's opening and DA/DA02's evolution themes ftw! -, and while the Pokemon anime got pretty boring halfway through Johto or so, I'm still playing the games (at least Gen 1, 2, 5 and 4's HG/SS).

EDIT: In fact...

Now playing in WinAmp: Digimon Adventure - German Opening "Leb deinen Traum", German version of "Butter-fly" by Kouji Wada :P

Edited by xdaniel

I've watches quite a few animes... shall I list them? No? Well too bad, I'm doing it anyway.

Trinity Blood

Bleach

Higurashi no naku koro ni

Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai

Higurashi no naku koro ni Rei

One Piece

Death Note

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (That counts, right?)

Soul Eater

Umineko no naku koro ni

Hellsing

Hellsing Ultimate

Black cat

Blassreiter

Black Blood Brothers

Tales of the Abyss

Tales of Eternia

Tales of Phantasia

Tales of Symphonia

Tales of Symphonia: Tethe'alla Hen

I'm sure there are some a lot that I forgot to put here, but oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

Cutting my list of "have to follow!" down to:

Aチャンネル

花咲くいろは

日常

俺の妹がこんなに可愛いわけがない (True Route)

Leaving those here on the "will try to follow" pile:

電波女と青春男

まりあ†ほりっく あらいぶ

Also: Hell yeah, K-ON! (Season 1) will be released here on DVD, starting this July! And here I was thinking we'll never get it and I'd have to get the US DVDs if at all! Now, you German publishers you, what about Index and Railgun, Bakemonogatari, Madoka Magica...?

EDIT: Caught up with 電波女と青春男 - that is Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko - as have to say: ... well, I don't know what to say! It's just... weird and great; just "Shaft being Shaft"!

And also, Aチャンネル - that is A-Channel - is "approved by mom"! XD Well, that means that I showed my mom episode 1 of the show, thinking that she might like it, which is exactly what happened. And we're the same opinion: Tooru is sooo adorable! <3

Edited by xdaniel

• 4 weeks later...

Little bump for a little list. Shows that I watched/am watching currently since the Spring 2010 season:

- Working!!

- K-ON!! (S2)

- Mitsudomoe

- Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi

- Seitokai Yakuindomo

- Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga nai

- Shinryaku! Ika Musume

- Sora no Otoshimono Forte

- Puella Magi Madoka Magica

- IS: Infinite Stratos

- Onii-chan no Koto Nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!

- Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu!

- Hanasaku Iroha

- A-Channel

- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

- Nichijou

Thus, total amount of shows: 16.

And the amount of those shows that I could or could have watched legally via Crunchyroll: 1, Shinryaku! Ika Musume.

And for some perspective, the current season. The last four shows are currently airing in Japan, two of which, as far as I know - Hanasaku Iroha and Nichijou/My Ordinary Life - are available via Crunchyroll, and zero of which are available via CR in Germany.

Sure, they're trying their best to license stuff and even with international rights and all, I believe that, but that's still a pathetic result if you're living outside the US, isn't it? I wonder what keeps them from getting licenses for ex. Germany as well, the hope of the Japanese companies for a German publisher to license their shows? Tch, forget it. We barely get anything, or at least barely anything I'm interested in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, I insist on digging this thread out again periodically :P Anyway, of the current season I'm watching...

- Usagi Drop

- Nekogami Yaoyorozu

- Mayo Chiki!

...and am still following Nichijou. I kinda stalled on Hanasaku Iroha after around episode 10; not really dropped, but not watching it anymore either.

Also ended up preordering the first volume of K-ON!'s first season, which'll be released here in 1-2 weeks or so.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I really need to drag this out again right now to rant. Crunchyroll will simulcast Nisemonogatari. Fuck them.

Why the hell do they think they need to simulcast something that's a sequel to a show that's never (officially) been seen outside of Japan? I'd imagine that without having seen Bakemonogatari, you'll only understand half of the show, if even that! Plus, yet again, "Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region." I wanted to fucking watch this because I have seen Bakemonogatari, because it was awesome and because I was hoping for the sequels to be animated since the day the first series ended! And considering the nature of the source material and the anime adaptions, I bet only half of Crunchyroll's audience will even appreciate and/or understand it!

I sure hope there's some fansub group out there who's still gonna sub the show regardless, or at least someone who's gonna rip their subs and give them some proper styling and all. Because if Bakemonogatari was any indication, this'll again be filled with typical Shaft-style walls of on-screen text.

...phew, rant over. But if I won't be able to watch this in some way or other on Monday at the latest, I'll be very, very mad.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.