General anime/manga/LN thread

xdaniel

• 2 weeks later...

Awfully late answer, but I had played the old first chapter demo of Katawa Shoujo. Not even to the end, actually, and I haven't yet played the full version. Want to get to it one of those days, but... yeah. I'm lazy as hell.

Now, as for anime, out of those I started watching last season - Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, Joshiraku, Kokoro Connect - I finished... none. I have the last four episodes of Jintai on the HDD, subbing of Joshiraku is more or less stalled for the time being (11 at editing, 12 and 13 at translating IIRC), and Kokoro Connect... I dunno, I put it on hold after a few episodes, plus I think it's still running anyway.

And this season, there's another three shows I started watching: Busou Shinki, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! (and the 4-minute "Lite" shorts) and Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo. Out of those, Chuunibyou's the most interesting one, so unless it takes a nosedive in quality, I guess I'll finish at least that one. Busou Shinki started out not so well IMO, but I guess I'll hold onto it for now for the prospect of tiny mecha musume in aerial combat - like Infinite Stratos in 15cm. Sakurasou's first episode was pretty... weird, for the lack of a better word, but rather fun. And I like my comedy a bit weird, so for now I'll follow this one, too.

• 4 weeks later...

Six episodes into Chuunibyou and Sakurasou, and... uh... three into Busou Shinki:

Sakurasou > Chuunibyou >>> Busou Shinki

I gotta say, Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo really positively surprised me in those six episodes, with quite likeable characters and a story that succeeds in balancing wacky comedy with some more serious drama and romance. Stilts at RandomC is right in that Sakurasou's elevator speech of "Girl who is good at art is useless at everything else, so boy takes care of her like she’s his pet." is terrible (which is what put me off initially). However, looking beyond that and actually watching an episode or two or three, it turns out to be something far above some insubstantial moe-fest aimed squarely at a certain demographic of otaku, like the earlier description might suggest.

Anybody watch fullmetal alchemist, zatch bell, or the older seasons(kanto and johto) of pokemon?

Full Metal Alchemist was the first anime i have ever completed. Ya its a good series but in all honesty, its overrated. One of the best animes i've ever watched has to be Naoki Urasawa's monster. Its so freaking rich and has so much to it not to mention the main antagonist Johan Liebert, and in general every character has depth and is very important to the story. Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is another that is just amazing. Then Clannad, words can not describe how wonderful that show can be. Anyway i could go on and on about the anime i have watched but it would take 10 freaking years.

Anybody watch fullmetal alchemist, zatch bell, or the older seasons(kanto and johto) of pokemon?

Watched the Kanto, Orange Islands and (maybe half of) the Johto seasons of Pokemon, as well as a really tiny bit of Advanced Generation in Japanese. Never watched FMA, although I do have the first volume of the manga somewhere IIRC, nor Zatch Bell... Don't think Zatch Bell was ever shown/released over here either; in fact all I remember about it is that in Japan, it took over the timeslot on Fuji TV previously used by Digimon after Frontier ended.

Damn it, why the hell did both Sakurasou and Chuunibyou have to get all serious this week?! I'm complaining not because I think that's a bad thing, but because it was both in the same week! First there was Aoyama breaking down in Sakurasou, now there is Rikka being crushed by reality, by past and present, in Chuunibyou! Fuck you, J.C. Staff and KyoAni! :(

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo just finished airing yesterday, and... wow. This show was incredible. It might not have been perfect, but really, what actually is? For me personally, the comedy worked, the drama worked 98% of the time, and most importantly: the characters were wonderful.

Thinking about its reception - reception outside of Japan, because all those nationalist morons on 2ch apparently hate it and say it's pandering to Korea or something, because of one or two tiny things changed from the LNs - well, thinking about that, it seems that people either really love it (for example for the reasons I stated) or deeply hate it (because of its "forced drama", etc.) and that there's barely any in-between. I fall squarely into the group that loves it. Again, I believe like everything worked almost all the time. I felt with the characters every step along the way, be it in fun and jokes, or be it during dark and... rainy days (oh god, episode 21).

Really, if anyone is looking for a show, for characters, for a world to have a sort of emotional attachment to - meaning as opposed to ex. purely action-based or comedy-based ones -, if you don't mind an initially weird premise, if you don't mind a rollercoaster ride between fun and despair, if you don't mind the waterworks (if you're that sort of person, and I sure am...), then I'd seriously recommend you checking out at least the first three to six episodes of this 24 episode series. I watched it fansubbed (rori) but it's also available on Crunchyroll, if you happen to live in an area where it's available, and I'd also recommend checking out the blog posts by Stilts on Random Curiosity for each episode, the first one being here.

And Nanamin is best! Although I also warmed up to Mashiron, so I don't really mind the end... then again, I don't think Nanamin's given up on Sorata yet, either! And oh god, Misaki and Jin, finally! :D

Edited by xdaniel

• 5 weeks later...

It's Spring, it's Spring 2013, it's the Spring 2013 anime season! And I started watching...

...how many and which of those I actually end up finishing, I don't know. Railgun S for sure, likely Oregairu (Yahari Ore no Seishun [...]) and Yuyushiki, probably Maou-sama, Henneko and Oreimo season 2.

Currently watching :

• Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai
  • Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
  • Mirai Nikki
  • Kanon 2006 (3rd time)
  • Angel betas (2nd time)
  • Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
  • Code geass (2nd time)
  • Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Lite
  • Air
  • Tengen Toppan Gurren Lagann ( i´ve watched 20 episodes a few months ago but never finished it...i don´t know why^^ but i´ll watch it right after i finished Full metal Panic!^^)

yeah, a few anime have to be watched a few times, especially the Key animes (Clannad, Kanon, air, angel beats) i´m not sure about Angel beats.. i didn´t liked it that much. maybe a missed something^^ 

and i´ve started with the first episodes of :

• Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru
  • Sword art online
  • Bakemonogatari
  • Toaru Kagaku no Railgun

and among the animes, i play the Clannad Visual Novel, which is practically an interactive anime with over 300 hours playtime^^

I also wanted to watch the puella magi madoka magica Movies, but i couldn´t find them :(

Hey xdan, where are you watching all of these shows? I find it difficult to find the full series of untranslated anime.

Some of those are available for streaming officialy, ex. via Crunchyroll - although I can only watch 5% of their shows officialy, being in Germany... Otherwise:

HorribleSubs (= CR rips) for Yuyushiki, Henneko and Oreimo S2, FFF for Oregairu and Maou-sama, UTW-Mazui for Railgun S. Google is your friend :P

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the title 'Anime' O.O

FREAKIN LOVE IT (if you couldn't tell by the sig and avi //shot)

Anime I watch/watched

Fairy Tail (fav so far)

Naruto

Soul Eater

FMA Brotherhood

FMA

Ouran Academy

Inuyasha

Spiral

Fruits Basket

And I watched a bit a Clannad, but it made me cry, so I stopped (I love Fuuko)

Hmmm..... That's all I can thiiink of..... I would say Final Fantasy 7 also, but I don't consider it a anime

Sorry if anyone has mentioned this, but I've gotten here late, and I'm not about to read every one of those post.

Anyways, Gurren Lagen! Watch it and you too will be a man

If you are looking for the most F'd up anime you can find with some badass fight scenes, blood, sick humor, and awkward pauses when your mom walks in, then go for Gantz. It's much more than that, and way more messed up, but I'd rant trying to explain

It's about a guy from a secret military organization that try's to fit in with everyday high school students, but really fails at it because all he knows is war. The reason he is in the high school in the first place is to protect a girl, it's funny, it's weird. It's got dem' romantic parts. Really I enjoyed watching Full Metal Panic Fumofu.. (can't remember if that's how you spell Fumofu) It's part of the anime that takes place between the first and second season. Fumofu does not need to be watched, and is really more like a spin off, but I enjoyed it. It's pure comedy. Watch FMP you won't regret it.

Never seen Fairy Tail, or Natsu, but I think I've heard of them. I'm a huge critic when it comes to anime though, I normally give them the first 5 or 10 mins to decide if I want to keep watching. I've seen so many that it feels like each one is just a copy of a copy, of a copy, so when I find one I like it's pretty awesome.

Has anyone discussed Desert Punk yet? No romance in it, but it is funny, Eric Vale voices Punk if I remember right (Eric Vale voiced Trunks from DBZ, and Idk who, but I know he was in Fruits Basket, School Rumble, and Blue Gender) When I was a kid I thought Future Trunks was a badass so it's kind of cool to see how funny Desert Punk is when he wrote out most of the English dialogue

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.