General anime/manga/LN thread

xdaniel

In my case with Nisemonogatari, it's less an issue with what site I'll be watching it on - because I'll download the episodes anyway, for one - but an issue with the fact that Crunchyroll licensed the show for streaming...

...which I won't be able to watch because of their regional restrictions - only interesting show I could've watched on there was Ika Musume/Squid Girl, but their localization was IMO terrible

...which will make potential fansubbers shy away from subbing it themselfs - I don't watch German fansubs for whatever reason, but rather English ones, and they tend to not sub something that's available as a simulcast as those are legal, supporting the creators and such

...and which doesn't even make sense - as I mentioned, this is a sequel to 2009's Bakemonogatari which to this day has not seen release outside of Asia, not even via simulcast, and, being a series by Shaft, it's not gonna be something for everyone, especially not Crunchyroll's general target audience (seeing how prominent Naruto and Bleach are on their website)

...it kinda feels like a big "fuck you" to fansubbers. "Hey guys, thanks for creating a bit of an audience for Bakemonogatari those 3-4 years back, we'll be taking that now!"

In my case with Nisemonogatari, it's less an issue with what site I'll be watching it on - because I'll download the episodes anyway, for one - but an issue with the fact that Crunchyroll licensed the show for streaming...

...which I won't be able to watch because of their regional restrictions - only interesting show I could've watched on there was Ika Musume/Squid Girl, but their localization was IMO terrible

...which will make potential fansubbers shy away from subbing it themselfs - I don't watch German fansubs for whatever reason, but rather English ones, and they tend to not sub something that's available as a simulcast as those are legal, supporting the creators and such

...and which doesn't even make sense - as I mentioned, this is a sequel to 2009's Bakemonogatari which to this day has not seen release outside of Asia, not even via simulcast, and, being a series by Shaft, it's not gonna be something for everyone, especially not Crunchyroll's general target audience (seeing how prominent Naruto and Bleach are on their website)

...it kinda feels like a big "fuck you" to fansubbers. "Hey guys, thanks for creating a bit of an audience for Bakemonogatari those 3-4 years back, we'll be taking that now!"

I see what you mean, man that sucks. I know how it feels when someone cancels a good show or movie series, but this is just freaking greedy.

The only anime I ever followed was Dragon Ball Z as a child. And that's when toonami still existed. I would follow the Kai version, but it's not online in HD. I really liked GT when it was still on, also.

Other than that, I was never interested in anime. Not my cup of tea I suppose.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

So, Senki Zesshou Symphogear.

Wow, WTF did I just watch? That was awesome, but felt a bit weird all at once. Or maybe that's just because of how much they crammed into the episode. Plus...

So wait, Kanade is dead, half of the apparent main duo? That was episode one! Also, what the hell happened to Hibiki?! Sure hope she isn't doomed as well... Well, she probably is, considering that "flash forward" in the beginning, but not right away...

• 5 months later...

The 2012 summer season is starting in just over a week, so it's a new chance for anyone to start watching some new anime, and Random Curiosity posted their usual preview: http://randomc.net/2012/06/20/summer-2012-preview/

And from the preview, interesting to me seem:

• Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
  • Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse
  • Binbougami ga!
  • Joshiraku
  • Sword Art Online
  • Kokoro Connect
...although I bet I'll end up watching only one or two of them after all. Maybe Kokoro Connect, Joshiraku or Sword Art Online? Dunno, I'll wait for the first episode posts for all to come out, then decide if I'll watch the episode myself.

Also, Madoka Magica came out on DVD over here over the last few months, so I rewatched it over that time, and with the German dub and together with my mom even. Gotta say, only got a few complaints about the dub (like how Sayaka's VA could've been a bit better in... more emotional moments, let's put it this way fuck you Urobuchi! ;_;), but overall it was pretty good. Kyubey's VA especially was as... cold calculating good as Emiri Katou was, in my opinion, and I unexpectedly quite liked Kyouko's VA's performance. I say "unexpectedly", but then again, I believe the last role I heard her in was Takeru/TK in Digimon Adventure those 12 or so years back, so yeah...

If you can look past cute character designs if you don't like them, and watch something on the merit of its story, storytelling and characters, I'd certainly recommend Puella Magi Madoka Magica. From Wikipedia:

In this world, there exist strange creatures who have the power to grant one wish to a chosen girl. However, in exchange, that girl must then become a magical girl and use her powers to fight against witches, evil creatures born from darkness that are responsible for murders and suicides.

In the city of Mitakihara, a schoolgirl named Madoka Kaname and her friend Sayaka Miki are approached by a familiar named Kyubey, who offers to grant each of them one wish in return for making each of them a magical girl. Another magical girl named Homura Akemi tries to prevent Madoka from making such a deal, while Kyubey urges Madoka by telling her she will become the most powerful magical girl. However, contrary to the glamorous notions one would expect, a magical girl finds herself dealing with death, isolation, loss of humanity, agony over the value of her wish, and existential crisis. Madoka, following her friends, soon sees the darker side of being a magical girl, and because of knowing the truth about being a magical girl, she questions if she should become one as well.

Besides that, maybe there's something on my anime list at MAL (already sorted by score) that might be interesting?

I've watched a lot. I can't name them all. If I end up watching something I already watched, I'm fine with that. So, I guess i'm looking for a good anime that not many people know about.

You could always take a knock at either Armored Trooper VOTOMS (1983) or Starship Troopers (1988). Those are my recommendations but I think XDan's list will work out fine for you :)

• Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (streaming on Crunchyroll)
  • Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse
  • Binbougami ga! (licensed in NA)
  • Joshiraku
  • Sword Art Online (Crunchyroll)
  • Kokoro Connect (Crunchyroll)
Sooo, if I'm not mistaken, four out of the six new shows I'm interested in have been either licensed or will be streamed via Crunchyroll. Damn it.

Get this, world: Asia and North America are not the only places where people watch anime! Region locking streams sucks and prevents a good deal of people outside the US to watch this stuff! Don't count on local distributors in ex. Europe to pick up the same series you do, or to at least provide them streamed - they usually do not! Madoka was an exception, not the rule!

Oh well. HorribleSubs, I'll be waiting for the rips -.-

• 2 weeks later...

Have a look at the Sharp SF-1 television with an integrated Super Famicom: http://dizrythmia.tu...-the-sharp-sf-1

...but why I'm posting this in the anime thread? Because there's Joshiraku, a show full of Japanese puns and references, which is why no one had subbed it until gg released the first episode (but I honestly won't count on them finishing the show). The Japanese-ness isn't what I'm getting at here tho, it's a simple background element - what looks like the Sharp SF-1 television! Or at least the top part with the cart slot and such does!

...oh, yeah, and as for the show itself, uh... it's not for everyone. It's probably really only meant for the Japanese. But I enjoyed it and will keep watching it! And no, it's not just because: "If you somehow do enjoy this show, you are probably lying to yourself because you like the girls."

• 1 month later...

xdaniel, I want to know your opinions on the characters relationships in Madoka Magica. I have been flamed by many people saying thats its a giant yuri fest, and the amounts of shipping people do to the characters in the show tends to drive me crazy. I am by no means bashing homosexual's, its just the fact that I cant see any of the magical girls loving each other in a "romance way" because i think part of what makes the show special is the close friendships between the characters that are very much deep. If you do end up getting to this post anyway or if you would rather not respond that's fine to.

And btw who is your favorite character? Mine is Kyoko as you can tell. I can discuss why later.

(I'm assuming you've also seen the whole show, there might be spoilers below if not!)

Hrm, the people who say it's just a giant yuri fest should actually watch a few episodes of the show, at the very least the first three or four. Of course, there is a lot of shipping going on in the fandom, that's true, but leaving that aside and just concentrating on the story and characters as presented in the show itself, there's only few hints - but still some, in my opinion - from which you might get the idea that there could be more between certain characters than just friendship.

Prime example for that is probably Homura and Madoka, although mainly coming from Homura's side, I'd say. Another pairing I could imagine - just based on their behavior and such and if there were more concrete hints - would be Kyouko and Sayaka. However, going just by what's happened in the show, and going just by the timeline we've followed for most of it, they didn't even really have much of a chance to develop a friendship. Sure, mutual respect for each other and Kyouko probably feeling a certain... "responsibility" for Sayaka maybe, seeing what happened in her own past, and Sayaka's downward spiral at that point, but not all that much beyond that. I do have to say, tho, that I could probably be called a "KyouSaya shipper": all the pairings in the fandom considered, I'm liking this one the best - because I like those characters the best - and could actually see at the very least a deeper friendship happen (if given more time, or an alternate timeline), which in turn could lead to other things. Also, kinda unrelated, even original character designer Ume-sensei seems to like KyouSaya; there's a related two-page short she did, it's somewhere on the Puella Magi Wiki, tho I don't remember on which page.

All that said, and as mentioned above, my favorite characters are Sayaka and Kyouko. Originally mainly Sayaka, as IRL, I also tend to be someone to try and help people out as much as possible and such, but once Kyouko's past unfolded and I understood her motivations, her character also grew on me. I really can't decide on just one of them.

Hope all that made at least some sense :P

Kyoko was my favorite character because she understood what its like to see someone make the same stupid mistakes. I've been that kind of person before, seeing someone making a really stupid mistake that of course backfired on them, i don't know why but it pisses me off when i see people around me making the same mistakes i did and i cant help but to do something. Now my methods for knocking some sense into people are a little more aggressive, but I think that is because i am in fact male. Gender is a big factor do to how different males and females handle a situation. and for starters females show way more affection towards there friends than any male would. I think Kyoko very much felt a strong rapport (as i have towards others) towards Sayaka and got the same sort of feeling I have had when dealing with this sort of thing. Just throwing it all there shaft is famous for throwing in yuri undertones in all there shows. We never really saw Sayaka taking her advice or even considering Kyoko's advice towards the very end of Sayaka's life. At the end of the day I don't think the show would be as special if there was a romance type love between the characters. Kyoko is my favorite character from the show because i very much understand things from her point of view not to, not to mention deep down I think she is a sweetheart. Its funny the first time i saw her in the series i didn't really like her at all, then comes her death and i did tear up. On one final note I guess these yuri shippers bother me more than they should because, I'm not going to lie i do have a small crush for Kyoko, so there cold be just a little bit of jealousy on my end.

I don't exactly have a crush on any of them, but I can certainly see where you're coming from... and at the very least, I wanted to give them a hug and comfort them several times myself, especially Kyouko and Sayaka. That's one of the things that makes this or any show like it special: you care about the characters, and not just as in, I dunno, "I wonder what happens to <specific-character-here> next" or some trivial crap like that. They just seem more realistic than those in many other anime.

And yeah, I got quite teary-eyed several times, too... Kyouko's death being one occasion. Also, for example, the whole of Sayaka's downward spiral (Episode 7's witch fight... "It doesn't hurt at all!") and her witch transformation, or all the "bad ends" Homura has lived through.

Ya throughout the hole show you want all the characters to succeed and its very bothersome when they don't. Its really funny when I recommended this show to a couple friends they never bothered getting to episode 3, and thought it was just another stereotypical magical girl anime. This and Clannad (my to favorite animes btw, closely followed by monster) are the only animes to every drive me emotionally as much as they did. Oh Clannad put me in a depression for awhile. I'm very exited for the Madoka Magica movies that are coming out in October. The 3rd movie being an extension of the series so cant help but wonder what happens in the very end. I should also add that i tend to get more attached to female characters in anime, which is probably why I loved Madoka Magica so much. Though I think it would be cool to take the same story and put male characters in the same situation and how different they would handle things.

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.