SharpOcarina - Zelda OoT Scene Development System

xdaniel

Okies, time for my glitches I am getting with the latest version v5. First off, I get crashes if I try use multiple maps that are more then 4-ish (The map I'm trying to render has 11 maps), So I tried to render one area at a time, I started getting these glitches happening despite not seeing them in the map viewer before conversion.

Glitching alpha on the trees

Posted Image

Messed up UV mapping

Posted Image

Posted Image

I am nearly 100% certain that the UV mapping glitches are a fault of SketchUp's object exporter, not of SharpOcarina, as these errors have been plaguing me as well since spinout's very first model converter. If the same thing is cropping up on even a completely re-written tool, chances are more likely it's not a fault of the import. Do the errors appear in the map preview in SharpOcarina? If so, then I'd say that's just about enough to guarantee the source of the problem.

I am nearly 100% certain that the UV mapping glitches are a fault of SketchUp's object exporter, not of SharpOcarina, as these errors have been plaguing me as well since spinout's very first model converter. If the same thing is cropping up on even a completely re-written tool, chances are more likely it's not a fault of the import. Do the errors appear in the map preview in SharpOcarina? If so, then I'd say that's just about enough to guarantee the source of the problem.

*COPYPASTA* So I tried to render one area at a time, I started getting these glitches happening despite not seeing them in the map viewer before conversion.

I should really learn to read posts before replying to them. Or something.

In that case, I dunno, maybe SO is reading the map correctly but the N64 engine is sensitive to some error that SO isn't? I guess it depends on how accurate the rendering engine is. xdaniel (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) could probably shed some more light on this, I'd bet. >.>

Again, the preview in SharpOcarina is not representative of how it will look in-game. It's just an .obj viewer, it does not read back and interpret the converted Display Lists. That said, the texture mapping problem is related to the limited range/precision texture coordinates on the N64 can have, as far as I know. The values get "out of range" of what they're supposed to be, I guess you could say, which can't be helped because of the mentioned lack of precision. You probably have to experiment (ex. divide affected triangles into more than one, different texture scaling).

Next, Zeth, what kinda crashes do you get with multiple maps? Game crash when you load the scene, crash when trying to use a transition actor to load another room, etc?

Next, Zeth, what kinda crashes do you get with multiple maps? Game crash when you load the scene, crash when trying to use a transition actor to load another room, etc?

It just crashes entirely, and this is before adding any actors/transitions but loading all maps/scene.

It just crashes entirely, and this is before adding any actors/transitions but loading all maps/scene.

Hm, I can't seem to reproduce that... I just tried it with a bunch of random models added to the demo scene, which ended up with 11 separate rooms, and the scene loaded up perfectly in-game; going back and forth between ex. the first and last room via a door also worked correctly. Edited by xdaniel

I think the UV mapping issue is cause my the way the textures are positioned. Once on a roof I modeled (It was an exact copy of another house) had this problem, and the other didn't. So I repositioned the texture (in SketchUp) and it fixed. I also tried re-doing the face(s) that were glitched and that also fixed it, I think.

Hm, I can't seem to reproduce that... I just tried it with a bunch of random models added to the demo scene, which ended up with 11 separate rooms, and the scene loaded up perfectly in-game; going back and forth between ex. the first and last room via a door also worked correctly.

How many collision triangles do you have total, Zeth? Each triangle takes up 10 bytes, each vertex 6, each collision type 8, and you can overflow easily - I know the game can handle more viewing mesh than collision mesh.

So today was the first day I tried to use SharpOcarina... major confusion. I know the mesh maps and collision of my model import because I had done it a couple of months ago with Obj2Area. I have read the readme but still am a little confused so I'll come to this thread to post my questions:

In the mesh scene, I separated each room by grouping and exporting each individual one with SketchUp PRO8's exporter. I had even made groups of certain textures within rooms I would like to edit individually for things such as translucency, backface-culling, exits, and climable collision. Here's some pictures of what I'm talking about:

Groups of each individual room-

Posted Image

Grouping of two textures within the turret-

Posted Image

With the collision scene, I had read somewhere earlier that the model HAD to be one group in the model (or somewhere along those lines). Inside the group, I included groups for exit and climable collision just in-case because Obj2Area used to seperate polygon types by components and groups. More pictures:

Grouping the entire collision scene-

Posted Image

Grouping exits and other collision types-

Posted Image

So after exporting individual rooms of the mesh scene and the entire collision scene, I proceed to importing with SharpOcarina.... And I get this:

In one room I get a bunch of "Mesh[X] Group1 Model"- way more than I remember grouping. I also get a few missing textures in the preview-

Posted Image

And I can't see that exit collision I want so dearly in another room-

Posted Image

Perhaps it's because I grouped each individual room?... I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

NOTE:

Collision- 4034 Faces

Mesh- 4921 Faces

Jason, Collision errors happen like that if the faces are "blue" instead of "white" in Sketchup when you texture them.

Yes, I know all about that blue & white polygons mumbo jumbo and can assure you that my model has its faces correctly reversed and "white". Anyways, the issue is not about collision (well, not entirely), the problem is the weird number of mesh groups and polygon types.

EDIT: After a little bit of tinkering with my model, I got seperate polygon types working where they're supposed to be. I still have graphical errors with the textures in the preview but I can manage with that. Also, I still have a billion mesh groups in that one room in the picture above... it's probably model related.

ANOTHER EDIT: I figured out why I was getting so many mesh groups. It seems that the PRO8 Exporter makes groups of polygons that all "touch" or are connected by vertices. For example, we see this:

Each one of the platforms (none of them are connected to another poly): 6

The turret top (it isn't actually touching any other poly): 1

A doorway (due to my lazy modelling, it isn't connected to any other poly): 1

What's left (Everything else are all in connected in some way): 1

Total number of mesh groups within that room: 9

^^ And we see on the screen that there are a total of 9 mesh groups... And I see the exact same thing happening in a few other rooms which makes me even more sure that that is the problem.

Edited by Jason777

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back with the same model as seen above. I can import it just fine with Obj2Area but SharpOcarina causes the game to crash while stuck on the loading screen. Could it be because of what Acraith said?:

The black polygons error happens when you have a group that shares textured and untextured faces.

^^ I wouldn't think so... I want to try and keep from having to upload the model but if it's an absolute must to figure out what the problem is, I will.

Whenever I get back to it. I easily get distracted in general - be it hacking Wind Waker, or making a NES emulator, or whatever -, plus real life isn't exactly working out too well right now, plus whenever something works to an extend I tend to get bored and try something else (you know, like from SayakaGL and SharpBoy, to SharpOcarina, to whatever else now).

I honestly got bored with it and probably OoT/MM in general, but at the same time it's not dead; more like on hiatus. Hope that's a sufficient explanation for now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.