Fall of Antiqua

Mellow

• 2 weeks later...

this project was canceled? i dunno what i expected -.-The gcn is dead...

What are you talking about? We have plenty of projects going on here.

Strati's - A Link to The Past overworld OoT mod

Airikita's - Zelda's Eternal Youth OoT mod

JeDDyD's OoT mod

and my OoT mod Zelda Rebith are all being worked on diligently.

We even have a few new comers like Dark Boo, and LastWWolf who are working on their own projects as well.

Then we have a bunch of other stuff being worked on by everyone else that may become full game mods.

I'm looking into modeling myself, or finding a modeller so that a Chocobo Ranch OoT mod can be pushed out eventually.

We have Satoshi's Final Fantasy 7 mods

Antidotes Wii King.

xdaniel is working on SceneNavi and we've already got beta releases of that

CloudMax  has released and is improving on his item select menu editor for Majora's Mask.

Then there's the point xdan made about our community not even being about only mods, and programs.

We have plenty of people who are faithful members here, and we like to talk and share ideas just like any other forum community site.

• Like 6

Holy fucking shit. Who the fuck would actually think the NAME AND LOGO of a project indicates its cancelation? I'm a team member and just said that.

Now you all feel free to use your heads.

(That came off harsh, but fucking fuck, I couldn't believe what I just saw)

Sent from my iPhone, because Siri has my manhood in her purse... or something.

• Like 2

I thought so, the earlier posts just confused me >.< Project Antiqua isn't the most imaginative name, but Fall of Antiqua is much more interesting and sounds more fun. Hope all's going well :)

More creative and imaginative, yes, but to people who already knew it as "Project Antiqua" or simply "Antiqua" for short, the first thing that might register in their heads when they see a topic called "Fall of Antiqua" is that it's been cancelled...

Least that's how I read it at first too until I saw the logo on the first page.

We need to see something other than art though. To be fair another reason why people might have thought so is because we haven't really seen anything, we've seen a song, and some logo's, but that's it, and it's been in the works for a long time now. I know that a lot of things may be really hard to do since it is an under documented game, however there are plenty of things you can do and show off, things that wouldn't be so hard to do.

Even if you can't do everything you've all planned on since the beggining then I would just lower the standards and be less ambitious. It doesn't have to have brand new this, and brand new that to be a really great game.

• Like 5

Project Antiqua is a fangame being created in the Majora's Mask engine.

That one line on moddb confuses me a lot. Everything indicates that it is being developed in the OoT engine. Screenshots, and the fact that it is categorized as an OoT Mod.As I don't really know which one it is, I figured that I may just as well ask.As some of you may be aware, I am developing a Majora's Mask Editor at the moment. If you want, I may be able to throw in a hand and try to implement some features that you may want for this project.If you're not using MM NTSC-U, or even Majora's Mask for that matter, I could look into porting it to the specific ROM that is being used for this project once I've released v2 of my editor.I'd really like to help out in any way that I can as I am very interested in it, and it already seems quite promising.

Mellow, I don't know where development stands on this project, but when I left 4 months ago, I left because I sensed the project was falling apart. Since then, I've neither seen or heard anything to suggest it has picked up its pace.

Is Antiqua in development or development hell? Please be honest. None of us want to see this become another Ura. At this point, keeping secrets about development is only going to make progress look grim. Might as well show everything so far. People would rather know exactly where it is in development—if even it's in an embryonic stage—than to be kept in darkness. That's what destroyed Ura.

Remember how Zeth kept extending Ura's lifespan by releasing new logos, site backgrounds, music, and concept art (I feel ill saying that), but no actual content? That's what is happening with Antiqua. Please don't allow history to repeat.

• Like 3

Here's my two cents.I've not actually spoken to members of the mod for quite a while (a number of weeks, actually), but when I did, there's still life in the project. Barely, but it's there. 

Remember how Zeth kept extending Ura's lifespan by releasing new logos, site backgrounds, music, and concept art (I feel ill saying that), but no actual content? That's what is happening with Antiqua. Please don't allow history to repeat.

I trust that work on FoA is happening, even if only in small ways at the moment. The people on the team (past and present) are very passionate about what they do and I can honestly say I don't think this is the case. If it is, then I can pretty much guarantee someone on the team will say something right away.

I just want to say i came up with this name like, many months ago, like, either may or june, marshmellow liked it, and nobody would update the logos, so i had to do it myself so marshmellow would update the thread.yes progress is slow right now.any further changes to the logo will be probably be adapting on this concept.

Honestly, when I was around to see what all was being done... it was quite awesome. Ironically, I left because I felt bad that I wasn't contributing at all and that I was going to be busy with college. Anyways, the ideas you guys come up with and the story for the game is enough to keep anybody around even if progress came to a stop.

The only problem the team has is actually finishing the content. For example, you get the maps and models done (Bobbo's are incredible), but it doesn't get far enough to where the map is imported and actors have been placed. Another example would be that some music is made, but nobody goes to the trouble of importing it.

Another problem is that there is a difference between what is "possible" and what is "realistic". You guys would come up with some pretty nifty ideas for ASM or C hacks for new items, an experienced hacker (i.e. sakura) would say that it was "possible" to make... and then it was settled that it would be done. Unfortunately, the hacks that you guys wanted to be made often ended up being very difficult and revolved around looking it vast unexplored territory. Then again, it could just be that it was beyond my capabilities.

If there was an FTP to where people could upload files for the project then I would imagine it would help with progress. Seriously, though, you guys were doing a great job as far as I could tell, but you just need to get things finished.

• Like 1

Another problem is that there is a difference between what is "possible" and what is "realistic". You guys would come up with some pretty nifty ideas for ASM or C hacks for new items, an experienced hacker (i.e. sakura) would say that it was "possible" to make... and then it was settled that it would be done. Unfortunately, the hacks that you guys wanted to be made often ended up being very difficult and revolved around looking it vast unexplored territory.

That was the main reason I decided to leave the team as well. Every time I tried to say something, everyone got pissed at me.

After over a decade of modding OoT, assembly modding has never matured enough to do too much with. There have been no custom enemies, no custom weapons (just altered display lists and actor spawns), and there have been only 3 or 4 custom actors created, all of which did nothing but stand there.

From a programmers perspective, it is possible to create custom enemies and weapons. It's also possible to make link turn into a fire-breathing Rito that farts rasenshurikens, but realistically speaking there is no one with any experience in doing such things. Especially on MM where there is literally no assembly documentation at all, and would require possibly several weeks of tedious hair yanking to get half the knowledge of that is known about the debug rom.

Then you gotta take into consideration that most modding tools are made specifically for OoT, and while the MM engine is based on OoT, there are many differences which make the tools go apeshit. For example, MM uses 1-environment color for a majority of it's combiner instructions to contrast lighting to make the game feel bolder, which makes a lot of the maps and objects miscolored or even black. It also uses a different texture loading patterns such that palette are loaded before textures instead of after like OoT, which causes wacky texture glitches and crashes in programs like UoT. The scene table entires are 4 bytes smaller, the empty entries in the file table are marked differently. MM gets wacky with segment allocations using segments like 07 in maps which in OoT is specifically reserved for link animations.

This turned into a bit of a lecture, but I just felt it needed to be stated there are a lot more differences between the OoT and MM game engines than people think, and assembly modding does not make you a god.

• Like 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.