General anime/manga/LN thread

xdaniel

So I really hated the english dub of BTOOOM it sucked on so many levels, the main character felt like a totally different person. I used to be that guy that prefered the dub, but I guess not anymore.

I think it would be helpful if we got a list going eventually in another thread of suggested anime's in English, and another for suggested for subs.

For example I really think the Hellsing OVA Ultimate series was way better in English, I could say the same for Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Trigun. Although those were always generally popular animes in countrys who's main language was English. Howl's Moving Castle had an amazing cast in their eng dub....

After seeing how Horrible BTOOOM was dubbed I don't think I'm even interested in a lot of dubs anymore. There should be a company that keeps people like Funimation and others from ruining good animes.... they always use the same people for every single anime in the USA/Canada dubs and I wish they would change it up and get some new talent in once in a while... I mean seriously how do make an anime feel 80% less cool? Did they even watch the subbed version before doing the dubbing or did they just read some script and changed stuff?

• Like 2

Been rewatching Yuyushiki the last few days, one of the few shows I actually want to rewatch from time to time. It's just great to relax with. Spent the last hour or so in front of my desk, with some snacks and my head just sorta proped up on my pillow, watching Yuyushiki episodes 6 and 7. It's a comedy but for some reason pretty calming to me; I had some nice laughs during the hour, hummed along the OP and ED themes... yeah.

Dunno, as mentioned on the shoutbox, I've not been sleeping very well the last few days, was kinda restless I guess... but now I'm just feeling good. Tired but relaxed, a smile on my face, like that.

...yeah, I gotta go to bed, I'm starting to write nonsense here, aren't I? ^^

Episode 1 at Random Curiosity; just introduction, no full series posts: http://randomc.net/2013/04/10/yuyushiki-01/
Entry on MAL: http://myanimelist.net/anime/15911/Yuyushiki

So I really hated the english dub of BTOOOM it sucked on so many levels, the main character felt like a totally different person. I used to be that guy that prefered the dub, but I guess not anymore.

I think it would be helpful if we got a list going eventually in another thread of suggested anime's in English, and another for suggested for subs.

For example I really think the Hellsing OVA Ultimate series was way better in English, I could say the same for Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Trigun. Although those were always generally popular animes in countrys who's main language was English. Howl's Moving Castle had an amazing cast in their eng dub....

After seeing how Horrible BTOOOM was dubbed I don't think I'm even interested in a lot of dubs anymore. There should be a company that keeps people like Funimation and others from ruining good animes.... they always use the same people for every single anime in the USA/Canada dubs and I wish they would change it up and get some new talent in once in a while... I mean seriously how do make an anime feel 80% less cool? Did they even watch the subbed version before doing the dubbing or did they just read some script and changed stuff?

Yeah. I'm with you here. Funi has good voice actors but they use the SAME people on all of their shows. Gets old very fast. Hellsing does indeed have a excellent dub. I also like the jap dub. Both are excellent and hard to say what one is better. Alucard's voice in both jap and eng are pretty much perfect. It's a shame Namco USA's (I think?) dubbing stopped. They had good range of actors. I guess Aniplex USA and Sentai Filmworks are the other alternates but Funi keeps hogging all the good shows :(

• Like 1

I find that a lot of English dubs tend to suffer because the VAs just don't know how to act for voice, and in some cases don't appear to know much about acting in general. One of my all time favourite dubs is the original run of the Neon Genesis Evangelion dub. All the actors had the most superb presence, and not only that, managed to keep the personality of the original voices intact, even where their voices were notably different. In fact, I think the only really weak VA was Kaji's.

I adore the dub of Trigun, too.

Can't wait  for the winter season, but theres something i´m even more excited to see...but what could be better than Chuu2Byou 2, seitokai 2 and pupa?

the answer is Haruhi Suzumiya! well, its not Haruhi suzumiya no yuutsu season 3...not even a second movie..but its Haruhi-related^^

--> "The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan". Just when i gave up hope for anything Haruhi related The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan gets an anime version...i'm actually not quite sure if its gonna be a movie, season or OVA but i don't really care ;) It just makes me hope for for something Main-Story related to come out in the future.

Nice as well is the fact, that they´re gonna air another season of "the Melancholy of Haruhi-chan". The first season was funny as hell so i hope it wont disappoint me xD

But lets be realistic. I don´t think that nagato yuki Spin-off thing will be that good. And i don´t really believe in a 3rd season. but it´s still nice to see they don´t forget about us haruhi fans^^

Speaking of 2014, anything in the upcoming Winter season you're looking forward to?

Myself, I'll certainly be watching the second seasons of both, Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! (Jan 8th) and Seitokai Yakuindomo (Jan 4th), am pretty interested in D-Frag! (Jan 6th) and Sakura Trick (Jan 9th), and might look into Noragami (Jan 5th) and Nisekoi (Jan 11th) once they've aired. And of course I'll continue watching Log Horizon :D

I would have to agree to it being a fake letter, since it's way too unformal compared to the letter he sent to  Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad.

Now back to Anime: I finished Kill la Kill yesterday and it was... weird... I mean, It's f***ing awesome but... damn, I've never seen a character cast this messed up. I mean not even the little pug Guts was normal. The only character who seemed to be somewhat normal (for anime standards) was Ryuko. That last episode was quite surprising though,

I could have sworn it was Satsuki who killed Ryuko's father. Also, seeing Mako breaking Ryuko's neck like a thousand times was quite disturbing, it made me laugh pretty hard though at the end. :D

Now I started watching Fate/ Stay Night, which is quite slow paced. I like it though since it isn't like other animes I've watched. I'll definately keep watching it.

The first episode of Seitokai Yakuindomo * was as expected great, but Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren has certainly exceeded my expectations. It was Awesome from the first to the last second  :D I hope it'll go on like this.

what I'm watching this season as well :

• Noragami
  • Hamatora The Animation
  • Pupa
  • Wake Up, Girls! (if i like the frist episode xD )
  • ImoCho (i am not quite sure about this one. It "could" be very funny but its most likely hentai...)

and of course i´ll continue Golden Time and Log Horizon ^.^

I´ve also recently finished Monogatari series which was Awesome; great work Shaft :D I´ve never seen such a unique anime.

Watched the first episodes of Seitokai Yakuindomo* and D-Frag! over the last few days, and especially SYD* was already just as great as the first season and the OVAs, really looking forward to more. D-Frag! was quite funny too, so I'll likely be following that as well. Haven't yet watched Chuu2Koi Ren nor any of the other shows, will do so over the next few days.

So, I've weatched 16 episodes of Fate/ Stay Night and daaaayuuuuum:

I'm Still having a really hard time getting along with the fact that Saber is actually King Arthur. Everyone in the world grows up with the legend of the great King Arthur and the creators are like "lol no 'tis a gurl". That's quite the mind fuck...and a great idea! I guess it even somehow makes sense. Judging from the looks of her knight's faces when they look at her, and them calling her King Arthur instead of Queen Arthuria, they seem not to be able to accept their mighty King being a woman, so they try to compensate that by treating her like a man.

That's my theory at least, let's see how it'll turn out :D.

I tend to stick to rare anime.  Rumiko Takahashi has good stuff, like Maison Ikkoku, Ranma ½, InuYasha, and Lum Invader.  They are on par with Gainax Company, Limited.  You know their stuff like Evangelion, and FLCL(fooly cooly).

I've got VHS copies of Mermaid's Scar, and Mermaid's Forest.

Old and high quality stuff.  

Mermaid's Scar is Dubbed, and Mermaid's Forest is Subbed.

As far as anime goes though XDaniel is right on my level.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So what did I end up watching...

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei wasn't on my radar, but as it has happened before (with ex. the greatness that is Sakurasou, in fact) Random Curiosity's Stilts, or rather his tweets and posts, made me check this series out. Might look generic at first glance, but it's quite funny and rather intriguing - there might even be some supernatural things at work, considering the latest episode in particular... but really a bunch of remarks made throughout all four so far. Or some potential visual hints I didn't even pick up until I read about them in the comments on RC...

Started watching The Devil is a Part Timer and I was hooked on the first episode. They use each characters personalities to their full potential for comedic purposes. It's kinda hard to describe why I found this show so charming. Basically you take the Devil, one of his generals, and you throw them from a fairy tale world into our regular human world. Take their powers away, and watch the devil work at a knock-off McDonald's, trying to make ends meet on minimum wadge while trying to gain his power back. He's constantly being stalked by a girl "The hero" who tried to kill him in the other world, and every now and then a new enemy comes around and tries to kill him, the hero, or both.

My only complaint is that it's only 13 episodes long, and the anime didn't have a proper ending. Still it's definitely worth watching

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.