Zelda's Eternal Youth Hack - [MORE UPDATES!!!]

Airikita

How?

I will be relocating actors and objects (possibly maps, maybe not) to use the space after 4Mb. Technically Nintendo does this fantastic job of loading actor and object files ignoring space restrictions, just putting in enough files to not glitch or crash the game, then all the extras (such as Link's files and other important sections) are continuously overwritten over spaces where files can overflow. The actor and object files never touch the SP space, nor does it ever touch the global variables or player control variables.

If I move the actor files and object files, I can, in theory, add enough to fill in more space than the restrictions allotted in the first 4Mb. I could even use the other spots in the 4Mb section as static references to extra code or bonus features of my choice.

I was able to move Link closer to the 8Mb end, so I could move the other files of my choice instead.

You have surpassed us all! This is absolutely Insane what you have accomplished! Making Saria a replacement for Ganondorf, enabling Young Link to ride Epona, making Link Damagable while on Epona, the list goes on and on! Keep up the paradigm shifting work!

Yes, sadly the immunity-free Epona crashes on console... apparently normal areas are crashing on the N64 too, even though it's a modified clean ROM.

My guess is the hack I did to spawn Epona anywhere is causing the N64 to throw a shitfitfest when she can't load in certain places. Even the cow barn/silo crashes, Kokiri Forest, etc... anywhere where I didn't put Epona's group.

You have surpassed us all! This is absolutely Insane what you have accomplished! Making Saria a replacement for Ganondorf, enabling Young Link to ride Epona, making Link Damagable while on Epona, the list goes on and on! Keep up the paradigm shifting work!

Yes, sadly the immunity-free Epona crashes on console... apparently normal areas are crashing on the N64 too, even though it's a modified clean ROM.

My guess is the hack I did to spawn Epona anywhere is causing the N64 to throw a shitfitfest when she can't load in certain places. Even the cow barn/silo crashes, Kokiri Forest, etc... anywhere where I didn't put Epona's group.

Three is right, many of us have wanted this for a lone time.  We had modders at the time who claimed they could deliever, but they didn't ever come close.  As a matter of fact, the reason why clearing Hyrule Field in Zelda's Birthday is so long, and so hard is because you were orginally suppose to win epona as a reward.  The modders of the time promised they could deliver the goods in time for the release, but in the end, they couldn't even fix the adult epona ride height bug for child link.  As a result, you work your but off for a single heart container, and travel in ZB1 is long and boring.

I'd be honored if we could you this mod in conjunction of a final release of ZB1.  It would be great to squash all the minor bugs we never got fixed in time.  And I'd simply love to get the whole thing VC/andorid/hardware compatible.  Possible?

I don't suppose you'd consider lending some of your talent for ZB2 either would ya?  We could really use 2 or 3 of you on the project, so yeah if you've got some clones handy. :P

Okay guys, I have some bad news...

I know you all loved Unicat, but.... she will have to go... I'M SORRY, I KNOW IT'S PAINFUL!!! She isn't working as a fairy, sadly... if the issue gets fixed, she can appear as the normal fairies, but until then you won't see her flying around.

A new twist to the story will make way though, so don't feel too sad about it. In fact, ZEY needs a bit of a storyline make-over, and a new challenge.

Some notes on things I will need to do next:

-------------------------------------------------------

- Enable Epona without having to win her, even the Lon Lon Ranch will not exist in my mod for a new path.

- Create an overworld map design to show what the new world will look like.

- Make a new creature follow Link, a Cucco hopefully, and disable Navi.

I'll keep that list for now, since I'm going to be busy before I get back to these, but Unicat just killed off 3 hours of my homework time trying to fix her because I kept believing I found a solution. I think it's more related to how Navi uses CI textures, so I'm not sure if Navi's code might need to be changed for her to work properly, but it's not going to matter at this point. Navi DOES have a secondary orb that I could test with another day, but that will not be on my to-do list.

Sorry, I was really hoping Unicat would work, and I tried my best for her to work on console... I might find a place for her. Maybe as a replacement for dogs, who knows.

• Like 1

Hmm, I thought long ago I recorded the means to call Epona without winning her... No, no I didn't. I do recall though that I had a picture of doing just that. The problem with that is that the game doesn't seem to remember where she is saved (or called from for that matter) so she will often appear far underground, I couldn't figure out why that happened. As I recall I was experimenting with Event Flags at that point.

Hmm, I thought long ago I recorded the means to call Epona without winning her... No, no I didn't. I do recall though that I had a picture of doing just that. The problem with that is that the game doesn't seem to remember where she is saved (or called from for that matter) so she will often appear far underground, I couldn't figure out why that happened. As I recall I was experimenting with Event Flags at that point.

Hit the nail on the head.  Yeah, that's it exactly.  Strangely I had forgotten this detail myself until one of my oldest friends (Dark_Link-77) reminded me.

But's it's ok.  This is already a well rounded Mod as it is.  Don't let a single detail get you discouraged!

Well, I tried forcing the function called to win Epona, and you DO end up stuck on her in random spots on a map... however, it's possible to force Epona herself to be summoned by forcing a false flag, or by forcing the condition to ignore the flag and force her to be summoned. I looked into the event flag for winning Epona with glitchy results, but I can make her just ignore the flags, as I can do with Link riding her to other maps. I'll have to look into those things later, I need a break from modding and focus on important things.

That's pretty sweet. Don't know if you think it's a good idea or not, but you should try enabling manual jumping for Link

I was thinking of something along those lines, but I would want him to jump higher than that... of course I guess I could force Link to jump higher from his values. I was focusing on Epona since I was able to expand her file... surely I could do the same for Link's file, but his file is already so massive I'd likely have to re-locate a file below his to another spot...

I'm not sure if I can move ovl_map_mark_data...

----------------------------------------

EDIT:

------

ZEY_Map-NewPage_zps56ccd52e.png

Flow chart of ZEY, currently deciding on how to set up Lost Woods path after I finish working on the beginning cutscenes... not sure if I should work on maps yet since the tools to make them aren't hardware-compatible yet?

Also, Unicat is still not working on hardware until further notice.

-----------------------------------

EDIT 2:

---------

Vote now for Bosses to have cutscenes or not:

https://www.the-gcn.com/topic/2868-choose-between-boss-concepts/

-----------------------------------

Personal Memos/Notes:

------------------------------

- gameplay_keep needs to be swapped back     ****[[(moved successfully without errors)]]****

- Unicat will be all fairies

*[[(swapped, but is problematic still... Navi's orb is also used as glow effect orb, not limited to Navi... Unicat also still not working)]]*

- Intro cutscene for Link's house needs to be repaired (lost edit from mixing up ROM back-up files)

- Fix damage on Epona hack bugs (hardware compatibility issue - camera-related)     ****[[(now 100% hardware compatible)]]****

Updates on the front page:

I am looking for (and am currently working on):

----------------------------------------------------------
- Cutscene modification (I may just swap models, and do other things instead to make things different than usual)
- Texture replacement (I can work on designs, but if anyone has a simpler way to import/inject textures into the rom, this would be helpful)

- Music re-design

- Game mechanics redesign (new enemies, bosses, challenges, controls, dynamics, etc... the list goes on)

- Storyline ideas (to be expanded on, suggestions and thoughts are welcomed)

Known bugs with damage on Epona hack:

-----------------------------------------------------

- Sometimes Epona doesn't stop running after Link falls off, doesn't happen all the time, but in odd situations. (fixed)

- Bug fixes have been made to prevent crashing on console, but has created new smaller problems I don't intend on fixing (not that big of a deal)

- Once knocked off, can't go into proper perspective using Boomarang or related items

- She can't be paired with Ingo's horse in Lon Lon Ranch, the custom code skewers any chances of using the rideable brown horse (which is avoidable for this mod)

Improved provisions on the damage on Epona hack:

------------------------------------------------------------------

- Can only "jump" once before being hit, locked out R-button spamming to avoid an error that caused Epona to be controlled and wouldn't return to Link

- Camera fix to avoid crashing on console (which also raised some minor bugs)

- Code sequence is more iterative instead of called on as one big block of code, multiple conditions have been used to avoid console crash (camera error)

- Epona no longer locks in mid-air while jumping after Link falls off (for obvious reasons)

- Code was revised multiple times for a much cleaner check to compare proper values, also in the order of preventing console crashing

- Bug fixed: Epona no longer runs after Link is knocked off when Link doesn't move***

- NAVI NO LONGER NAGS SO THAT SHE DOESN'T BORK LINK WHEN RIDING EPONA!!!

Mostly had to rely on wits for fixing thus problems.

Working on:

---------------

- Unicat (still not working)

- Tried to make tokens dropped by Iron Knuckles trigger a clear flag by using the enemy category, but is not working

- Intro storyline is under re-construction for a new flow (things will be changed for the better) which is currently involving a Kokiri Forest makeover.

======================================================

Random Updates:

*** Link now starts with the Fairy Ocarina after waking up - a by-product of forcing the Navi cutscene in Link's house by replacing the check for Saria's cutscene on the bridge to start Navi's cutscene.

*** New sun (enjoy your nightmares):

sunbaby3_OOT_zpsb78cebab.png

teletubby5WIP_zps9c1a7a3d.png

*** WIP

Demo Animation:

Edited by Airikita
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to hold Epona back anymore:

I'm still speculating over it though... not sure if the fix I made is hardware-compatible, or if it will contain errors.

NOTE: This one was a real buttmunch though... had no idea what I was looking for half the time.

• Like 3

It's pretty darn cool, too bad Link couldn't truly be badass enough to pull that sucker out of the pedestal while on Epona.

Link: Look at me!! I'm on a horse inside the forbidden Temple of Time and I'm pulling the sword out at the same time!

And oh my God, I just for the first time saw that sun! What did you do?! X,D

It's pretty darn cool, too bad Link couldn't truly be badass enough to pull that sucker out of the pedestal while on Epona.

Link: Look at me!! I'm on a horse inside the forbidden Temple of Time and I'm pulling the sword out at the same time!

And oh my God, I just for the first time saw that sun! What did you do?! X,D

My brain was too fried to even think of it... but it was a map test, not for ToT. This means Epona can ride through dungeons now, freely. Before she was restricted to Gerudo's Fortress (since it was the only map Epona can go to with map transitions), so I had to change a list of things to make it work.

...probably the most difficult hack I had to do in the longest time....

• Like 1

Haha! That is way too cool! Way to go Airikita! I take it then Epona's going to be a large part of this hack?

Of course, there will be possible boss challenges with her. It's why I made it so that Link can be hurt while riding her too.

Anywho, I was just testing a few things, and I got this funky error:

ForestTempleMapError_zpsb835de89.png

I think it's from some minor changes, and it also appears some code is going past the 4Mb point when running through some maps........... eeeegh.... I'm not sure if it's because of my RAM expansion, but it doesn't appear so... I may have borked something with one change. The minimap isn't such a big deal to me as I plan to disable it.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I mixed up some addresses... seems like everything is working properly without the one thing I fixed. It's also stranger it's using Zora's River map considering the changes I made should make it the Gerudo's Fortress minimap...

• 2 weeks later...

ZEY_GenderChoice_zps12b08547.png

Storyline is being tweaked for a new concept, if it works out. Major re-haul to be done, and need to fix other things.

Curious if I should make the two options in one zobj file because of the age fix, but also might save on ROM space and easier implementation without digging through the ROM for Link's group values.

• Like 4

Cool, choose whether your a male or female adventurer. Reminds me of Pokemon and Elder Scrolls. One question though, will there be a different character model if you choose female? Or will it just apply to the text?

There should be new characters, but for now it will take some time to get a value stored when the appropriate text is selected. It's a stab in the dark for now.

EDIT:

Selected gender choice now stores to a customized location in the save data... it is only a matter of making custom character designs in a zobj file to replace Link with, and gathering up offsets to his model and re-pointing things.

EDIT 2:

Storyline added to first post. It's a brief introduction for now. Note that this story will be used for the release too, so details of what to expect are left out and allusionary to the reader.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.