Zelda's Eternal Youth Hack - [MORE UPDATES!!!]

Airikita

Zelda Ocarina of Time - Zelda's Eternal Youth

ZeldasEternalYouth_Logo_Cucco_zps1da93c4

Age is a fearful time-passing problem, and everyone seeks the secret... does Zelda hold the secret???

Hello all, this is going to be where I will inform you about my hack called "Zelda's Eternal Youth". I have currently done a load of text edits and map editing to Kokiri Forest, and a bit of the Deku Tree. I have also worked on some modifications with Gohma, but am attempting to try to fix some bugs if I can..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Featured Hacks for this Mod:

Rideable Young Epona (and Extended RAM Hack):

*Rideable Epona includes the RAM fix to allow more freedom for Epona to be in Hyrule Field without compromising the enemies in the map, as well as allowing more features to be added to this mod.

Damage on horseback addition:

WIP Evil Saria:

GanonSariasFACE2_zps3b313578.jpg

DieSaria_zpsda33ef07.jpg

*Evil Saria is part of the plot, but not intended to be the final boss. A new world will open up involving the storyline to follow a prequel scenario up to following the Majora's Mask storyline (the in-between story).

Maps

Kokiri Forest:

KokiriForest_edit10_zps1a9cf110.png

Topic on map editing for ZEY: https://www.the-gcn.com/topic/2888-zey-maps/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get started, here are a few of my current modifications (not all videos show the complete edit, and things might be different in the release):

Three Gohmas:

EDIT (11-17-2012): Three Gohmas work quite well, however... if a player dies after defeating 1 Gohma, and returns, all the enemies will be gone from the field. I also might even remove the Redeads, as Link will be swordless for this dungeon. So there's more to be done, especially controlling how Gohma is registered as dead/alive.

One Gohma dies, and the others will act as undead clones... it's more than likely another function that is causing the issue, but hopefully removing the function won't cause Gohma to glitch during death.

Part 1 to 2 - Intro and Kokiri Forest:

Part 3 - First Floor of the Deku Tree:

Currently there's more changes and tests to be done... I have also added Deku Salesmen in the Twin's House who sell Deku Sticks and Deku Nuts. There's a way to get 10 free Deku Sticks, but that's a secret. Also, some (if not all) the Kokiri will give you helpful advice! So talk to those you wouldn't think of talking to, and you might be surprised.

I still need to re-edit the text in some Kokiris... to clean things up a bit better, since I made some common editing oversights in my text edits. Not grammar, but the Kokiri are saying things that need to be different.

The file 1 issue will be fixed in the final game, so that needs to be changed.

Part 4 - Kokiri Forest Runthrough

Part 5 - Deku Tree Play Test

A bit insane, but still doable... and there's no map allowed, making this quite the hell hole to find your way around, never mind the risk of losing your shield leaving you defenseless!

Ultimate Iron Knuckle

I found a TON of values... I think I might leave it there, but perhaps I will still hunt for the walking speed value... so, any thoughts? It's still beatable, but it's a very intense battle. Just about need all hearts for that if you don't have quick timing and the right strategy.

UPDATE: I found 3 new hacks for the Iron Knuckle. I found running start (armor on), auto-start (with music), and auto-blocking every time Link does a Jump Attack (and regular attacks sometimes)

RAINBOW

Iron Knuckle Dance

(Because I felt like it..)

Iron Knuckle Drops Tokens

EDIT: Recent changes made:
- Skulltula token implemented
- Random drops removed from enemies/objects (plants included) to keep it unique for the Iron Knuckle (pots are unaffected)
- Randomizer for the drops has been nullified (meaning the function will always spawn a token, no hit-or-miss to reduce the chance of NOT getting the token; token will always appear)
- Iron Knuckle now spawns 1 token instead of 3 (where it used to summon 3 hearts/rupees, has been reduced to 1 with an unusual find)
- Token has been prevented from "sliding" (where it used to endlessly slide away, becoming unobtainable)

ALSO:
- Iron Knuckle's enemy identity has been fixed back to enemy status... one of my "findings" for the auto-start actually caused the Iron Knuckle to not be recognized as an enemy, preventing the barred door from opening.
- Instant-start hack fixed to prevent a glitchy start; looks cleaner.

This Iron Knuckle took over a month to fix-up and perfect... notes on my findings made it easier to fix these problems, and other issues and solutions were tricky to find and get working. However, all is successful now.

UPDATE (11-16-2012): New Token:

Cat Token:

cat_token_ik.png

It looks like a cat now... I was thinking of modifying it more, but I figured it looks pretty neat as-is... this game breaks the 4th wall quite a bit, so I'm not looking into making things too specific, although I was attempting to give it "horns".

Color Changing Skulltula Family:

Skulltula_Family_Tunic_Change.png

More of an accidental find... eventually I realized I discovered a way to make them change colors according to Link's Tunic!

Video:

More Random Stuff

Giant_Kaepora2.png
- Giant Kaepora Gaebora was trickier than just a value change... he required a differed JAL then what he was using to use the proper size value (after finding where his size value was stored) and then change the LUI A1, $80AD to $3DFF for a bigger size. Kaepora Gaebora's size was being calculated in code.zdata differently than most actors.

I simply took the Iron Knuckle's size procedure, and used that in place of certain values in Kaepora Gaebora.

RAINBOW.png
A bit of an "Easter egg" I put in the game... more Easter eggs to come.

Invaders....

Adult Items for Kid Link:

Right now I have the hookshot working, which will be modified further... there's more changes to be made for the Hookshot, including a new design.

I will also hack in the Bow and Megaton Hammer when I can.

Kid Link Forever (ASM ROM Hack):

This was an 8-byte code change... the two lines used a dynamic reference to set Link's age in register T6, which used a LBU T6, 0x1DE8 (T6) command to set the value to 00000000 for adult or 00000001 for child Link. So, I replaced it with a simple ADDIU and LUI command to force T6 to be 00000001 rather than load it dynamically.

So I wrote this simple MIPS code:

LUI T6, 0x0000

ADDIU T6, T6, 0x0001

So, even if you choose adult Link from the map select menu, changing areas forces Link to be a kid again. It will force Link to be a kid no matter what... pretty sure this prevents the GS code from working, but it might not. This basically forces Link to be a kid without a GS code in the rom.

Save Position No Reset:

No more starting at kid Link's house! While I didn't fix the part where it sets you at Temple of Time as adult Link, I only needed the command that sets it for kid Link in this hack. The digging for this one took almost all day to find.

UPDATE (05-05-2013):

New Title Screen Logo:

SexyLogo_zps385016b0.jpg

Everything is all set for the logo, only a few more adjustments to go.

Follow the Playlist for this project:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL121URa-OBlCPGOR_YKI0NKHVafJJH0nB

~Updates (small or hidden) are not always added to the playlist~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Storyline

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The land of Hyrule has changed, and the inhabitants of the land seek a new golden goose: eternal life. The hero sleeps restlessly after Navi disappeared, desperately wanting her companionship, but haunted by her annoyances still. The hero is haunted by the realization that they are not a Kokiri. Things take a strange turn, and old land is changed. Broken between the dream world or the real world, both realms intersect, and the Zelda world collapses by the will of an unknown force. There are many forces to be explained, but none of which are solely responsible for the collapse of the old land. The hero sets off into a new world, without choice, as if forced to, into a merged world of lands both known or unknown to the hero. Lands and creatures of old and new. Zelda is in desperate need of eternal life, for the forces behind time have taken hold of her precious youth and essence. Help Zelda... the hero.... must help Zelda... slowly the insanity drives our hero into desperation to seek out the princess in peril, while at the same time searching for Navi... why... Navi... Zelda... Reality slips from our hero, and no longer is the world as it should be, or as it seems. Not even the hero knows this path, and aimlessly searches for a way to the glorious Life Fountain. Without the Life Fountain, Zelda slowly ages to perish, in which the fountain shall reverse her curse. The curse, the hero's sanity, and the world are all intertwined. Things deep within the hero's psyche will become reality within a world merged between realms of unknowns.

Help Wanted!

I am kind of looking for some assistance on this project... I'm looking into some things I might have trouble with, but I could just do whatever else works.

I am looking for (and am currently working on):

----------------------------------------------------------
- Cutscene modification (I may just swap models, and do other things instead to make things different than usual)
- Texture replacement (I can work on designs, but if anyone has a simpler way to import/inject textures into the rom, this would be helpful)

- Music re-design

- Game mechanics redesign (new enemies, bosses, challenges, controls, dynamics, etc... the list goes on)

- Storyline ideas (to be expanded on, suggestions and thoughts are welcomed)

Credit will also be given to all the tools and resources that I have used when I release a trailer.

Credit / Special Thanks

Credit:

~** Title Screen Logo - by Errorjack and Me (Errorjack designed the main colors and text/font) **~

~** CloudMax for some notes (Menu Color HUD) **~

~** Jason777 (for his Warp Portal hack) **~

~** Sairugoth (map help) **~

~** MelonSpeedruns (provided some textures) **~

Special Thanks to:

~** Sakura (for some ASM knowledge) **~

~** SoulofDeity (for some information and useful tools) **~

~** xdaniel (for his tools) **~

~** CloudMax for some notes (Menu Color HUD) **~

~** Sanguinetti for some ideas **~

~** Xu_Yuan (Three_Pendants) for his ideas **~

~** HeavyZ for suggestions and ideas **~

~ and anyone else who might've contributed ~

• Like 9

I'm contemplating about maps, but I definitely want to insert a custom character unto another. I might redo Hyrule Castle. (outside and inside)

I should also switch something else, I want something to look like something else that exists in the game, but like... I might have to inject a model into the original to get it to work.

Looks pretty cool, the only thing is from the videos the game seems to break the 4th wall a little to much lol! Is the game supposed to be more light hearted or serious?

It's pretty lighthearted... the only thing is I made the first level of the Deku Tree pretty hardcore intense, but the rest of it is supposed to be comical. I'll have some NPCs saying random silly things in some places.

I modified the Deku Tree a bit further from what the video shows... it's whole atmosphere and difficulty is through the roof. I want things to be as weird/bizarre as possible without straying from the storyline too much, if that's possible.

Since this is still a WIP, here's my latest hacking discovery... Iron Knuckle animation SPEED HACKING:

All found in ROM using a few floating-point hex values.

EDIT: There are multiple values recently found that have perfected the Iron Knuckle even further... but this will take some time.

I was actually thinking of cutscenes, but that's at the bottom of the list until I get enemy hacking and map modding set-to-go... I also plan on hacking the cursed family in the House of Skulltula when I can. The Iron Knuckle is taking a long time. I'm trying to find its drops, but I can't find it. Also, I have been very busy with school too.

EDIT: Iron Knuckle dance time:

UPDATE: Loop manipulation:

- Currently found some amazing power buffs for the Iron Knuckle... I have found a lw that causes the Iron Knuckle to shed it's armor every hit, and on first hit it thinks it's armorless, and acts upon that. With the fast reflex and uber running speed for when the armor falls off, this loop condition (when modified) can determine if you want to keep the armor on for the entire battle, or shed it after the first hit! The armor not falling off is great for the regular Iron Knuckle, but with my overpowered modification, the armor being off makes this one sick puppy to fight! I don't show that in this video, but I might show it later on... but I'm still working on finding the drops before I make another video of the finished ik.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You might as well start calling this thing, Zelda ocarina of time prepare to die edition. (dark souls reference in case you didn't catch that.) Now that I think of it, very similar games...!

That's a cool suggestion, however the title for this has been decided for storyline changes. The storyline will feature a quest to obtain the secrets of eternal youth, which is made pretty clear at the beginning... the storyline from other characters will feature wild and crazy things, such as the ALIEN CONSPIRACY theories (as hinted by the Kokiri boy guard), so there's lots of things to be done in this game.

I am planning an overhaul on the Deku Tree's storylines, and AI manipulation to make things work out according to my plans. It's the AI manipulations that take the longest to do, even if I have a vague idea on what to look for.

It looks great! Although, I think the leaves are a bit awkward on it.. I was also thinking of something else for the sword&shield in the logo, but that can wait until I figure out how to fit it in with the theme.

I'm also thinking more along the lines of something that can fit with my weird mod.. although, anything that needs to be changed can wait until I get more into map modding, and redesigning.

Maybe see what it looks like with a UFO behind the logo? Although, I wonder if that would look too strange...

Hm... I wonder if I still have my notes where I turned the Gohma eggs invisible... and I'm sure there's a function that prevents the z-target box from being created, so I will look into that. That would make Redeads useful, although wouldn't that make the Gibdos invisible too?

I guess I could always just edit the Redead's model. Would require a bit extra, but shouldn't be a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

You have done an incredible job here Airikita, you've pretty much done everything I tried to do with the Iron Knuckle way, way back in the day! I'd love to try and help your project this time, if I can.

Thanks, it is much appreciated... any help is welcomed.

Also, it's nice to see an old friend again. :3

• 4 months later...

Save Position No Reset:

No more starting at kid Link's house! While I didn't fix the part where it sets you at Temple of Time as adult Link, I only needed the command that sets it for kid Link in this hack. The digging for this one took almost all day to find.

However there is a bug when saving in a grotto, then resetting and exiting the grotto causes the game to break. It will send you in the Deku Tree out-of-bounds with no Link to control. Basically you will be stuck.

I can probably fix it, but I might be busy for a bit.

• Like 4

This looks... WOW. Nice! I'm so excited to see this hack! And I love what you did in the intro. Making the Kokiri sound rude and not trusting, that's very interesting. Also, how the Great Deku Tree asked Link for his youth and beauty... That makes the Great Deku Tree sound not so trusting either! 

Save feature now disabled in Grottos to prevent any player error and avoid a dead-end by exiting a grotto with no Link to control:

EDIT: I don't like the way I coded this, but apparently it works well, so it looks all safe so far... works everywhere.

• Like 2

I'll probably make you a logo/design. I'll edit this when it's completed.

EDIT: Came up with this, tell me what I should change:

Posted Image

I am getting closer to changing the title screen logo... for now it looks good, but perhaps a background change to the logo is in order? I was thinking of changing the Master Sword and Hylian Shield in the background.

EDIT: Vote on a new logo here: http://www.the-gcn.com/topic/2282-vote-for-a-new-titlescreen-logo-zeldas-eternal-youth/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.