Choose Between Boss Concepts

Airikita

1. 1. Choose an option for ZEY Bosses:

• Bosses with no cutscene, but intense, dynamic, and customizable/flexible
    • Bosses with cutscenes that have enhances for better challenge.

Question

Vote for ZEY to determine what set of bosses it will have...

1. Bosses with no cutscene, but intense, dynamic, and customizable/flexible

VS

2. Bosses with cutscenes that have enhances for better challenge.

You people know my skills by now, but if you find the 2nd option more important, then I'll have to juggle integrating the better of both worlds, which will take a lot longer. I was thinking of emulating Zelda II bosses (some of them) and other concepts. Boss cutscenes are integrated in their AI, and while I can clone a boss and spin off of an existing cutscene, manipulation would still be restricted.

Also, vote based on how much you care about cutscenes under these circumstances.

11 answers to this question

Depends, how different do you plan on making these cutscenes?

The cutscenes will be based off of the cloned boss, but the battles won't be as custom or as intense. I can build a boss off of existing functions, but the cutscene would clog the progress with that. The cutscenes won't be greatly expanded on, maybe altered slightly to introduce the boss (taking Gohma's cutscene for example where it zooms in on her, animation, then title, that's it).

Without the cutscenes I can give the boss battles more flexibility. It's not a matter of what I'm going to do with the cutscenes, it's how much I will be able to do with the bosses.

Question is are the cutscenes THAT important to sacrifice a super intense boss fight over? The question is expandability.

Cutscenes in bosses are quite inflexible...

Also, I was going to build bosses off of enemies (easier way) without cutscenes, but if the cutscenes are THAT much more important than just making a perfect boss, then I'll see what I can do..

EDIT:

I should include that this does not mean all bosses will be void of cutscenes, only custom ones since I'm basing them off of 2D games (Minish Cap, Zelda II, etc...), so I plan on excluding cutscenes.... but if you're DYING for cutscenes on every boss, then I'll attempt something.

...Umm why are you asking when you seem like you've pretty much know exactly what you want to do? No cutscenes aren't "THAT" important if you're not going to change them "THAT" much. Otherwise I would say presentation, and cutscenes were "THAT" important, I mean if you look at how games are trending to be more cinematic then you wouldn't be saying "THAT" like "THAT" because I was thinking fans would really enjoy new in game cutscenes that have been altered more than anyone has done in the past.

I figured if anyone could do it then you could given if you were compelled enough to do so

Because I can still integrate cutscenes, it will just be a different set of work is all. Also, it is still possible with other means. So I'm asking if people prefer cutscenes over not having them at all.

I could still start the battle, and give the boss title when you enter the map. Don't worry about how I worded it, I'm looking for people's opinions.

You don't need cutscenes to make a boss fight intense so in my opinion it isn't really necessary. One of the boss battles I had planned to make a long time ago would have taken place in just a plain dark room where the door locked behind you after entering, then the boss itself would quietly sneak up on you. I feel like if you get the atmosphere right then cutscenes just don't matter. It's up to you in the end though, do what you think works best for the situation.

It's just personal taste, but I love seeing the bosses' names pop up, along with their subtitle. Really sets up the mood of the battle with a cutscene as well, as you see them flaunting everything they have, ready to engage you in battle, and sometimes showing off a move or two in the process that they end up using on you during the battle.

However, if you can do much more without a cutscene, I would work on implementing those features first, and then once you can put that in properly, begin to find ways to make cutscenes work with those.

It's just personal taste, but I love seeing the bosses' names pop up, along with their subtitle. Really sets up the mood of the battle with a cutscene as well, as you see them flaunting everything they have, ready to engage you in battle, and sometimes showing off a move or two in the process that they end up using on you during the battle.

However, if you can do much more without a cutscene, I would work on implementing those features first, and then once you can put that in properly, begin to find ways to make cutscenes work with those.

I'm sure there's a balancing point... I see people are okay with no cutscenes, but I can also do extremely short cutscenes.

Picture Gohma, but instead of seeing her crawl the ceiling, and falling down, she's already in front of Link, waves over him, and the battle starts. I also realized that without cutscenes, it can also ambush the player. So I will have to figure out some way to make a balance.

I think for Minibosses, there's no need for a cutscene, which I wanted to make it feel more like a Zelda II game.

Could depend on where the boss appears too...

I know that the thread says "Choose between Boss Concepts" and that this has little to do with it, but I got to thinking about some things... since you changed Saria into Ganondorf, would you think of changing Malon or Ingo into Phantom Ganon? Change the Spear into a Rake, change the Black Stallion into Child Epona or a normal Brown Horse. Your mod is... out there and fighting more NPC's would bring the surrealism to its peak.

Okay, to clear up confusion with Saria: she's not a confirmed boss yet, but there are ideas floating around about her. I still have to edit Kokiri Forest before she's 100% confirmed. Not saying she isn't, but there's a whole mess involving things that are positioned on Saria, such as the target box and other things.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.