Latest game pick-up thread

xdaniel

Just bought something interesting off of eBay... a Korean Hyundai version of Diddy Kong Racing, one of 20 supposedly new copies a Korean seller has had (four left now) - $9.99 or resp. just over 8€ with free shipping. Looking through the feedback the guy recieved, someone from France had also bought one of those DKRs and left a positive comment, so I'm positive about this as well.

Hope it's going to be sealed/shrink-wrapped, too, and not just unplayed, because that'll look very nice on the shelf :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got pokémon green, and pretty sure it's real

Real as in a not counterfeit, pirate copy? Yep, looks like an original. Every Green I've seen before looks like this, plus you've got a complete set, including even the map. A loose cartridge is easier to fake than a complete game, and especially back in the GB days, I don't think pirates cared much about the packaging, etc.

As for myself, my Korean Diddy Kong Racing arrived today! :)

Posted Image

It's a Japanese-style cartridge with apparently an American ROM, the game code is NUS-NDYE-KOR and the manual and box are all in Korean. And now I'm almost tempted to get more "Hyundai Comboy 64" stuff...

• 2 weeks later...

Short story here...

Already on Sunday got a (very dirty) Mega Drive II - or Genesis Model 2 for you Americans - with PSU and a (not dirty at all) third-party 6-button controller. Had also already cleaned it on Sunday (tho there's still some white paint residue on the left-hand side near the cart slot) and gave it a short test run with Sonic 2, which worked fine.

Now today, I got out the old Mega CD II to check the MD's expansion port and low and behold... the Mega CD wasn't working! Or, well, it got power, went into the BIOS and CD player, but couldn't load any CDs as they didn't even spin up! Shut if off, opened it up, fiddled with the drive's cables, the drive door switch, etc., etc. - in the process, it sometimes recognized CDs, but promptly messed up again. To tl;dr, it turns out I must've accidentally jammed a set of wires the last time I had the machine open, which now have a somewhat loose connection at the point they got jammed. Freed them, carefully put everything together again, and it's back among the living. Need to replace those wires at some point, but for now it works.

In fact, I'm giving both the MD2 and the MCD2 an exercise right now! ...actually my ears as well, because I'm listening to a CD with the system, which is hooked up to the TV via RF. So I'm feeding a mono audio signal into the TV, from where it goes into the amp, from where it goes to the speakers and out into my ears. And it sounds horrible. But it's working, which is the point! Plus, it's good music - Asian Kung-Fu Generation's album Fan Club -, so it's more bearable than otherwise. Although the intro to track 10, Gekkou, just now was especially ear-grating.

I'm also waiting for a MD2-32X AV passthrough cable, so that I can finally conclusively see if my Mega Drive 32X is dead or not.

Posted Image

Got the Mega Drive II RGB cable I've gotten a week or so ago "finalized" (insulated and such, that is); Sonic 2 and Gunstar Heroes - the two games I quickly tested it with - now look pretty much as sharp on real hardware as they do on emulators~ :)

Also was given two manuals, which otherwise would've been thrown away: those of Tetris for the GB and of the original Game Boy itself! Now to find at least the boxes for those :)

I didn't really pick it up, so much as rented Final Fantasy XIII-2. I believe I'm at the end of the game, and it's been pretty fun so far.

My highlights would be catching monsters (Chocobos), racing (Chocobos), the Crazy Chocobo song, interactive battle cutscenes, and Serah's bowsword. Seriously, I think I'm going to make one of those IRL.

The not so fun parts of the game are hunting for all the fragments (I'm never going to get the Professor M one.), finding the ten Wild Artefacts (which I finally did.), and whenever Serah is forced to walk -really really slow-.

THE WORST PART OF THE GAME IS THE SLOT MACHINES. DO -NOT- PLAY THEM, THEY'RE ENTIRELY UNFAIR. SERIOUSLY, IT'S A GIGANTIC WASTE OF MONEY.

Other than that, for a game about time travel I feel they're good enough at avoiding continuity errors (even though time travel and it's consequences are really vague in this game.)

I am however disappointed at the lack of outfits currently in the game. The only outfit available right now is a red retexture of what he's already wearing, and on top of that it's a $2 DLC.

Also Chocolina is annoying.

AVOID THE SLOT MACHINE, FFS.

Sent from the Netherworld.

• 2 weeks later...

So I was at GameStop today, looking around if there's something interesting for the DS, Xbox 360, Wii or so. Among the X360 games was stuff like Portal 2 or Asura's Wrath, both of which I don't yet have and both of which I'd like to have (tho I'm still debating with myself about Asura's Wrath, seeing how it's by Capcom...), as well as Sonic Generations. Generations was "in the budget", to put it that way, but I still wasn't sure. I went to the Wii games afterwards. While looking around that shelf, I heard part of a familiar melody behind me... coming from the Xbox 360 demo kiosk in the store.

Guess what was running? Sonic Generations. Sky Sanctuary Act 2, with no one playing. I went over, played around in the stage a bit, quickly died, then quit the stage. Instead, I went over to Chemical Plant and started that... and, to cut this story short, 5 minutes later I was back at the X360 shelf, picked up the lone copy of Generations they still had and bought it... And I've already played it for over two hours just now.

tl;dr: got Sonic Generations for Xbox 360, thanks to some stupid demo kiosk that had the game running.

(Also, they're really acknowledging Chaotix, even if only in music! <3)

I rented that game with my girlfriend from Redbox a few months ago. The only time I really played Sonic before then was on some really old console (either a PlayStation or SEGA DreamCast, whatever) way back when I was 7 or 8. It's come a long way, but I found the gameplay still very enjoyable, and the music (as is often the case in these games, as I understand) was just awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

At least it wasn't the PS2 version of Sonic Riders, Zeth... heheheh... (inside, Sonic Retro joke)

I can't believe I've neglected posting my recent pickups... Okay... starting with what I picked up after Final Fantasy XIII-2:

Posted Image

N7 Collector's Edition, no less. Picked up on March 8, Australian release date.

Posted Image

Game of the Year Edition, which comes with the four DLC packs.

Posted Image

Yeah, I finally got it. =P

Spent a little bit too much at today's flea market...

- Starwing (SNES, PAL, complete)

- Battletoads in Battlemaniacs (SNES, US, loose)

- F-Zero X (N64, PAL, complete)

- Beetle Adventure Racing (N64, PAL, loose)

- Gran Turismo Concept - 2002 Tokyo-Geneva (PS2, PAL, complete)

- Game Boy Advance, AGB-001, in Glacier(?) (European, loose)

Didn't yet test any of those games - because I actually spent most of the day, gasp!, not at home - but the GBA's working despite having had a leaked battery. From the looks of it, it only started leaking a relatively short while ago, so all the system needed was some scrubbing away at the affected contacts. Will probably still open it up one of those days to clean it thoroughly. And the screen is as horrible as I remember, but it's kinda nostalgic too... the days I wasted playing Mega Man Battle Network 3 under my desk lamp <3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.