Latest game pick-up thread

xdaniel

*borrows images from auction*

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just bought a Famiclone on eBay, and (to me anyway) all signs point to it being an old-style clone that actually contains a cloned Famicom mainboard, CPU and PPU! Modern clones, like those Super Fun Joy III Whatevers, are based around those crappy "NES-on-a-Chip" one-chip designs. And if it really is such an old-style system (and if the chips are socketed like on the one I linked to...) I'll try to get some original FC chips to turn this into a 100% 99% FC-compatible system that even does Disk System and Castlevania III, and also has Composite AV out :D

(...99% because the clone's second controller doesn't appear to have a microphone.)

Alright, the "Family Game" arrived!

Posted Image

And please excuse the relative mess around the system. Anyway, the thing works perfectly fine and it actually is an old-style Famiclone with cloned FC board, chips and all, and if I've read the data on those chips right, they've been manufactured in mid to late 1992. That should place this clone somewhere in 1993, I suppose. There's, however, two problems with it: First, I'm not 100% sure if the sound is correct on this unit. My Tristar 64, which contains a standard modern NOAC, seems to have wrong sound effects and such in ex. Super Mario Bros., but I can't really tell if that's also the case on this clone here... I have several different SMB cartridges, or carts containing it (one standalone PAL SMB, one official PAL SMB/Tetris/Nintendo World Cup multicart, two different XX-in-1 pirate multicarts), but they all sound a bit off from an emulator running the US ROM in NTSC and also (if I recall correctly) my actual PAL NES. One thing that's off is the speed, which might tie into the second problem...

...which is the fact that this machine is a PAL-N system - that's a PAL signal that uses NTSC's color subcarrier frequency and channel width and is only used in - get this - Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay, according to Wikipedia! And if you don't understand this, don't worry, I only get half of all that either. But anyway, running this machine with a TV that doesn't support PAL-N thus results in...

Posted Image

Posted Image

...ugh! And that happens no matter if I use composite or RF - in fact, RF is even worse because there I get a weird moving rainbow pattern across the whole screen!

Now I need to figure out how to fix this, preferably without buying a new TV that might support PAL-N...

• 3 weeks later...

I made a purchase which I am really excited about, as I have coming in the mail to me now, these wonderful gaming gems:

1. PS1 Console
  2. PS1 Dual Shock Controller
  3. Syphon Filter 1 - 3 (PS1)
  4. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PS1)
  5. 007: The World is Not Enough (PS1)
  6. Crusaders of Might and Magic (PS1)
  7. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64)
  8. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64)
  9. Quest 64 (N64)
  10. Jak and Daxter (PS2)
  11. Jak 2 - 3 (PS2)
  12. Jak X Combat Racing (PS2)
  13. Metal Gear Solid 2 (Xbox)

I simply cannot wait until all of these come in the mail! :)

This is going to help start my game collection, too.

I made a purchase which I am really excited about, as I have coming in the mail to me now, these wonderful gaming gems:

1. PS1 Console
  2. PS1 Dual Shock Controller
  3. Syphon Filter 1 - 3 (PS1)
  4. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver (PS1)
  5. 007: The World is Not Enough (PS1)
  6. Crusaders of Might and Magic (PS1)
  7. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (N64)
  8. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (N64)
  9. Quest 64 (N64)
  10. Jak and Daxter (PS2)
  11. Jak 2 - 3 (PS2)
  12. Jak X Combat Racing (PS2)
  13. Metal Gear Solid 2 (Xbox)

I simply cannot wait until all of these come in the mail! :)

This is going to help start my game collection, too.

I finally got it all in the mail! :D Pictures in the spoiler below. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I just joined GameStop's PowerUp Rewards Pro, and got a bunch of cheap PS2 games from them:

1. Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
  2. Ever Grace
  3. Full Spectrum Warrior: Ten Hammers
  4. Medal of Honor: Frontline
  5. 007: Nightfire
  6. Stretch Panic
  7. Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy(need an extra, just in case)
  8. Time Splitters: Future Perfect
  9. Project: Snowblind
  10. Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows
  11. i-Ninja
  12. 007: Agent Under Fire

Hell yes! :D

Raided GameStop of some PS2 games again:

1. Sly and the Thievius Raccoonus
  2. Sly 2: Band of Thieves
  3. The Getaway
  4. The Getaway: Black Monday
  5. The Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
  6. Time Splitters 1
  7. Vexx
  8. Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
  9. Destroy All Humans!
  10. Legend of Alon D'ar
  11. Reign of Fire

My game collection is looking better and better every day! :D

Once again, I have raided GameStop for its PS2 games. Huzzah!

1. The Hobbit
  2. Shadow of the Colossus
  3. Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
  4. Wolverine's Revenge
  5. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  6. Star Wars: Starfighter
  7. SOCOM II: US Navy Seals
  8. Tribes: Aerial Assault
  9. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  10. Primal

Hell to the yes, guys. :)

Relevant to this thread are the two things on the left. Especially the top one~ <3

Posted Image

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - NTSC-J! Boxed (with the awesome cover art), with the manual and controller config sheet, a bunch of flyers, and a sheet of C- and A-button stickers for noting down Ocarina songs or something!

(Also Cyber Troopers: Virtual On NTSC-J for Saturn, and unrelated to the thread: A Certain Scientific Railgun book 4 and Puella Magi Madoka Magica DVD 3)

Posted Image

Also, two things of note: 1) the price sticker saying 6800 Yen (close up below). According to Nintendo's Japanese website for the game, the game launched for 6800 Yen, so I'm guessing this sticker is at the very least from when this copy was new. Also, 2) see the flyer for Link's Awakening DX above, and the date of December 12th? The game launched December 12th 1998, a few weeks after OoT's launch on November 21th of that year. All this makes me wonder if this was a launch copy of the game, although I'll probably never be sure about it, short of finding a receipt from late 1998 in the manual or something. Still need to dump the cart, or at least try some codes ex. the language changer, to confirm the ROM version - here's hoping it's v1.0, mainly for the "coolness factor" I guess, tho I wouldn't mind v1.1 or v1.2 either. See below!

Oh, and before I forget, there's a saved game on the cart: player "Kabamaru" who has died 5 times... and has just gotten the Hylian Shield.

Posted Image

EDIT: Oh man... you know how there's "notes" sections in manuals for you to write passwords down and such? OoT has this:

Posted Image

This is where the missing C-button stickers went. This copy of the game has a physical history of having been played. To me, something like this is almost better then having a rare game or something...

Ah, and the ROM dump is done, let me just move it over to my PC here... *grabs USB stick and goes to copy*

*old laptop's slow USB is slow*

Alright, looks like it's v1.2 according to the header. A wee bit disappointed, but then again all three versions were compiled before the game even came out, so whatever. Guess it's from early to mid-1999 then? :P

Edited by xdaniel
  • Like 2

The artwork for LA DX is kinda... ugh. "Imma in ur izland slayn ur oktorokz!" or something. The original LA's Japanese boxart looked better, despite being in the same style.

Also, a short trip to a flea market earlier netted me an official PS2 Memory Card for 3€. Had nothing else of real interest there, tho...

Picked up pokemon rumble blast new because I had money to burn and wanted a brand new pokemon game and couldn't afford buying a sealed soul silver

Posted Image

honestly I haven't played much of it but it should have added a lot more for the 20 extra dollars compared to the wii ware version, but its a good portable pick up and go game so I can't complain

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.