Wind Waker Hacking Thread

xdaniel

Ha ha, It'd be cool to devise something like that. BEN didn't really scare me...

We'd need to put a lot of effort into it to make it not cheesy or a BEN derivative.

We don't need something huge. Just a really creepy hack!

Something like importing a fixed up version of the dummy model to represent Jabu Jabu and somehow placing it inside Great Fish Isle upsidedown like it's dead. Edit in some fitting sfx (Unless we can hack dialogue yet?) and then spawn JABUN as you sail through the great sea, stalking you, staring at you... The reincarnation, and spirit of Jabu Jabu - Jabun, is haunting you. He wants to devour you, and steal your soul...

Well, we don't need a storyline at all. Just a really creepy hack with Jabun please!

Not really something stupid like the BEN creepypasta. But a demonstration hack which is just plain creepy!

We don't need something huge. Just a really creepy hack!

Something like importing a fixed up version of the dummy model to represent Jabu Jabu and somehow placing it inside Great Fish Isle upsidedown like it's dead. Edit in some fitting sfx (Unless we can hack dialogue yet?) and then spawn JABUN as you sail through the great sea, stalking you, staring at you... The reincarnation, and spirit of Jabu Jabu - Jabun, is haunting you. He wants to devour you, and steal your soul...

Well, we don't need a storyline at all. Just a really creepy hack with Jabun please!

Not really something stupid like the BEN creepypasta. But a demonstration hack which is just plain creepy!

Hacking dialogue is pretty easy- I don't think we even have to conform to letter restraints. If we add text to the end of the text .bmg, make the calculation and edit the pointers for the specific instance of dialogue, we can have custom dialogue (like that sign I edited a few pages back, "Headstone Island: 2 miles ahead. Beware of Redeads!")

Cutscene dialogue, however, is still in the works. I haven't figured out the system it uses yet. As for making him appear... the game has a function that it uses for Medli and Makar to make them follow Link. Only thing I could think of is to somehow modify that to Jabun...

Nah, if we're doing a creepypasta, I'd want to do a full blown hack of the game and give it a proper creepy story. Something with a lot of thought in it.

Ooh, a complete hack... It might be possible, but we need more documentation of things like actor placement, STBs (working on it) and collision. Have any ideas about a general WW creepypasta story?

(You know, I actually hate Creepypasta. I went into a creepypasta thread once and couldn't sleep for two days. Baaaaaaaaaad decision. But I'm willing to make a WW variation work.)

Well you would have to make it work on water :)

Or even better... JABUN LOST THE OTHER HALF OF HIS BODY! :) It's his ghost!!!!

Seriously though. A creepy Jabun hack where he follows you through the sea would be great! (Maybe make it when there's eternal night + the storm music for extra creepiness? I.e. the music sailing from great fish isle for the first time to windwall?)

I really want this funded.It really doesn't need to be a formal hack. Just stalker-Jabun! :)

And that creepy lantern thing on his head! It's like a hook! Fucking scary! :)

Jabun... really doesn't have scary qualities. He's too... cute! But maybe it could be like his ancestor or something!! (edited Jabun model) Maybe Jabu-Jabu, if he is his ancestor.

And like you go to sleep, and your in a half-submerged crypt (like a water dungeon), and stuff keeps changing and the dead Jabun ancestor keeps appearing!!

He's big. And demented looking. And he has a giant mouth. With eyes that are so awkward, they look like they stare in your soul! He's even missing half his body!

Just me, it'll be REALLY freaky if he slowly chases you while you sail, and try to eat you into his mouth!

Posted Image

Unless you're a vore fetishist, if he has his mouth wide open, I don't think anyone would want their boat to get sucked into his mouth!

I didn't expect anything from this, but...

<1A05000001>You got a <color:1>Treasure Map<color:0>!<1A05000002><lf>

<1A07000007000A>View this with <button:Y> (Charts)<lf>

on the Sea Chart screen.<lf>

You'll notice a mark where<lf>

<color:1>the treasure lies<color:0>!<lf>

Happy treasure-hunting!<end>

...vs...

<1A05000001>You got a <color:1>Treasure Chart<color:0>!<1A05000002><lf>

<1A07000007000A>Open your Sea Chart, then press <button:Y><lf>

to check your charts.<lf>

<lf>

When you open this chart, a place<lf>

where treasure lies will be lit up!<lf>

Sail to that area then use the chart<lf>

to find the treasure!<end>

...localization differences! <3

Or...:

<1A05000001>You got the <color:1>Hook Rope<color:0>!<1A05000002><lf>

On the item screen, set it to<lf>

<button:Y>, <button:Z>, or <button:X> to use it.<lf>

If you use it on the boat,<lf>

you can salvage items <lf>

from the ocean floor.<lf>

When you aim, you will see<lf>

a <color:4><1A0500002A><color:0> mark on the spot the<lf>

Hook Rope can reach.<end>

...vs...

<1A05000001>You got the <color:1>Grappling Hook<color:0>!<1A05000002><lf>

<1A07000007000A>This was an item used by the<lf>

Rito people before they had wings.<lf>

<lf>

Set it to <button:Y>, <button:Z>, or <button:X> on the Items<lf>

screen, then press that button to<lf>

aim. Use this item to latch on to<lf>

anything with a <color:4><1A0500002A><color:0> on it.<lf>

You can even use it to haul things<lf>

up from the sea floor while on your<lf>

boat.<end>

It's US vs. US so to speak, but against an earlier version of the US script. But not to get anyone's hopes up too much, this earlier version isn't from some internal prototype, but comes from the Wind Waker demo that's on one or two of Nintendo's "Interactive Kiosk Demo Discs" or whatever they were called.

Apparently, the English localization was in a pretty early state, as this version of the script 1) is still mostly in Japanese, 2) seems kinda literal, tho I have no means to really check that, and 3) has several typos. Alternatively, the whole thing might've just been quickly thrown together for the demo, as 1) it's mostly in Japanese - yeah, this kinda counts for both possibilities - and 2) has some demo-specific messages like:

ERROR!<lf>

Please contact the sales staff for<lf>

assistance.<end>

...which replace most but not all of the Memory Card-related messages.

From what Google is telling me, the text is pretty much in the same order as the English version. It seems that they only translated what was needed for this demo- only stuff like Tetra's Gossip Stone advice in the Forsaken Fortress, KoRL's advice about rats in Dragon Roost, and item names have been translated.

If it's a demo... what maps are in there, huh?

Edit: Ha ha, Google FINALLY got something right!

Posted Image

Also, I think I might be on to something with cutscene camera control... Not a huge development, I admit, but I think I'm a little closer to understanding how it works.

OH! OH! I've got text! ...Well, a little. See, there are 3 byte long entries in JMSG that dictate what text is displayed. For instance, the text in Jabun's cutscene is 03 xx 02, where xx is a number starting at A3 increasing by one each entry. Just changing the variable changes the text. However, I have no idea how it actually gets the text from that.

OH! OH! I've got text! ...Well, a little. See, there are 3 byte long entries in JMSG that dictate what text is displayed. For instance, the text in Jabun's cutscene is 03 xx 02, where xx is a number starting at A3 increasing by one each entry. Just changing the variable changes the text. However, I have no idea how it actually gets the text from that.

Some games use a text string database with each entry corresponding to one string. It's possible Wind Waker uses a table of sorts that lists cutscene messages. How this is structured, whether it's on a per-actor or per-cutscene basis and other factors are anyone's guess at this point, though.

Well, I actually just tried using A2 as the variable. This resulted in "Letters for Link? We have !", which is the string just before the first string of the cut-scene. I'm thinking that each string has an index somewhere, somehow. If we wanted to implement custom text, we'd need a way to calculate this index.

Also, I'm starting to think that bmgresh.arc is where the Hylian text is stored. I'll have to conduct more research at a later date, however. The 'h' could stand for Hylian. :)

Posted Image

"03 xx 02" you say? I'd say "xxxx 02". The "Letters for <player>?" message is number 0x03A2 in the file's message list, while 0x03A3 is "Well met, Hyrule King!"; their message IDs - not used in the case of cutscenes, apparently - are 0x0CEB and 0x0D49 respectively. EDIT: So, for example, replacing the 03A2 with 0159 should give you "To call Tingle, use a Nintendo GameCube Game Boy Advance cable [...]".

As for bmgresh.arc, it's very well possible that it's the Hylian text. From the technical side, the file contains 15 Japanese messages in all Katakana, starting with "ヒサシブリダナ ハイラルオウヨ" or "Hisashiburi da na, Hyrule ou yo" or (very roughly something like) "It's been a long time, Hyrule King". Someone correct me if the translation's wrong. If it is the Hylian text, I'd assume the game's Hylian font maps one-to-one to the Katakana characters in Shift-JIS encoding.

And the demo's maps are: majroom (rooms 0-4), MajyuE (room 0), Mjtower (room 0), M_Dra09 (room 9), M_DragB (0), M_NewD2 (0-16), Name (stage only; file select background, I guess?), sea (0-49!) and sea_T (0 and 44). I have yet to look at them, tho, just listed the folders on the disc.

Finally, some tidbits: the build date according to the COPYDATE file is 02/12/06 16:54:20, the banner data (as seen in the GameCube's menu), country code, etc. is mostly Japanese, besides "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA the wind waker for USA SHOP VERSION" and it probably has all the objects the normal retail version has. Or well, there's a bunch of them at least, including all the Demo##.arc archives, etc.

Edited by xdaniel

New WW Text Viewer release: http://magicstone.de...om/WWText_3.rar

More control codes supported (Japanese furigana display, more button icons, etc), added some output formatting options (simplification/removal of control codes, removal of furigana), initial parsing of the file is much slower because it now parses each message four times, but that makes it faster when changing said formatting options, some other changes.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Was it really called the rope hook? Isn't it grappling hook?

It's US vs. US so to speak, but against an earlier version of the US script. But not to get anyone's hopes up too much, this earlier version isn't from some internal prototype, but comes from the Wind Waker demo that's on one or two of Nintendo's "Interactive Kiosk Demo Discs" or whatever they were called.

That's why.

They obviously do now, considering the lack of too much in Twilight Princess (still not so sure about SS).

Speaking of Wind Waker hacking, has anyone been able to crack the midi music format?

The thing is, I dont' think anyone's looked at the MIDI music for unused tracks because they couldn't.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.