Wind Waker Hacking Thread

xdaniel

Video of the animations I mentioned. I wonder if Jalhalla went through a conceptual change? Maybe going from King of Poes with a mask they to the mask being an entity itself with a body made up of other poes. Then they might've dummied out the animation that revealed it had an actual face, thus leaving the player unaware that it's there.

Edit: I just looked at Jalhalla's figurine. It has the face, too! Maybe they originally had him without the mask, but then slapped it on at some point. Either that, or the face on the figurine is the result of them duplicating the boss model for it...

Edit2: Yeah, I just realized that in his normal attack patterns, he blows fire. And to blow fire, he has to push up his mask.

I'm stupid.

• 1 month later...

If I may drudge this up again...

Posted Image

I've noticed that BDMViewer renders rooms in their normal dungeon positions rather than at the origin; it might have something to do with how the game switches between them. This image shows that Room19 and Room20 are related (though one could probably extrapolate that without this). Using this method, I compared the other unused rooms to normal dungeon geography:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rooms 12 and 15 line up perfectly with doors in existing rooms. It's interesting that they intersect two of the rooms containing the statues; maybe at one point the dungeon was longer? Or maybe they're left over from an entirely different layout.

...just something interesting I observed.

Oh! Also of note, Room13, one of the Statues' rooms, has a statue included out-of-bounds:

Posted Image

Whoops! Me again. A conundrum.

Posted Image

That Tower architecture is part of the outside portion- Room18, the final room before Gohdan. Though it extends a bit too far into Room19, it's still an interestingly nice fit. The mystery is that Room19 isn't really big enough to be a boss room. Perhaps, in the beta Tower, the boss was fought below, then after its defeat you exited and went up the staircase outside?

Really, I think that's how it was. There's even beta screenshots of a Gohdan boss room (that I think I may have posted several times before) in this style, and it is most certainly NOT this room. The beta screenshot depicts a octagonal room, presumably as large as the final version, with the blue brick walls, and no windows what so ever. There must of also been two doors in the boss room as well because how else are you gonna get out. That also necessitates a second outside portion that was scrapped. Either that, or you got into the boss differently than in the final (possibly by using a warp?).

As for the other rooms, I don't think that the dungeon was longer per-se, but rather that instead of going directly into the statue rooms, you had to go through these hallways, which would take you to the statue rooms.

I've been looking into the STB file type (cutscene-controllers, it looks like). Take a look at this section from Demo_03's STB, called Meet_Tetra.

04 60 4A 41 43 54 00 00 00 04 5A 6C 31 00 80

.`JACT....Zl1.@

I think that this tells the game what actor is supposed to be loaded here, going by the JACT string. The first two bytes, 04 60, are exactly how long the segment is from 04 to the first byte of the next segment. 'Zl' is what Tetra's model is called in the Object folder. Oddly, Demo_03 doesn't contain any models, unlike the others I've seen; only animations. Nintendo probably did that to save space. All of the segments marked with a 'J-something' seem to end with 0x80, so I'm going to assume for now that 80 is the end of this 'header.' These are some of the J-variations I've seen:

JCMR (always followed by 'camera' four bytes later)- Most likely tells the camera how to move and possibly when.

JSND (This one's different; I've seen the bytes after this one be 'SE,' 'se' and 'Stream')- Going to guess music.

JMSG (followed by 'message' four bytes later)- obviously what text to display.

There's also an oddball 'control' string in there. Not sure what that would do.

I've also observed the string 'd_act' followed by a number in many palces. I'm wondering if this has to do with how the cut scenes work.

I haven't gotten that deep into these yet. First I need to figure out how it calls animations, music and text. Then I'll work on JCMR, and finally later what exactly the JACT entries are for.

*Victory fanfare*

Like the description of the video says, this is called jb_dummy. It's in the Nayru's Pearl cutscene .arc. Since the final Jabun model lacks a tail, that swimming animation (the only one that works with the dummy) is leftover from an earlier point in development!

Cool, is their anyway you could use the test model in the game, or attatch a tail to the final version of Jab?

It's possible he could have been a Jabu-Jabu and been positioned differently ^

I still wonder the possibilities of whether or not Jabun himself was a dungeon. If his dungeon was scrapped, it's unlikely they would scrap his dungeon theme too. It's possible it would have been used in a cutscene, namely, his actual cutscene.

But his theme would have also suited a cavern appropriately.

Well, I was talking more to Deku about restoration, but... yeah.

My guess is that they created the dummy with the translucent water featured in one of the test rooms in mind. When they ran out of time and had to scrap the idea, they just cut off the final model's tail (it actually looks like that, if you look at his backside).

And on the music... Jabun, like many other cutscene-only models, has an outside model pack in Object that has the same resources as the stuff packed with the cutscene. I wonder if this suggests that these characters could have been talked to normally? The most reasonable explanation for duplicates might be that they included them as error handlers in case something went wrong with the cutscene (if the specified model in the STB isn't present, maybe it looks to Object instead?), or for debugging purposes...

Though, if we got a way to create both models and DZBs, I would look into making a hack that used translucent water (set a plane with a translucent texture to have water properties...? the water in places like Outset is part of the actual model).

Compared to his figurine, he's massive... Hmm. I think I'll post a comparison of the dummy and the final a little later. But first:

Posted Image

RARGH.

It's the model that they use when Ganon turns into Puppet Ganon. He's hidden behind the curatain, though, so this model is never seen in its entirety. It's basically Ganon's regular model with Puppet Ganon's head copypasted on...

Still pretty creepy.

Ha ha, It'd be cool to devise something like that. BEN didn't really scare me...

We'd need to put a lot of effort into it to make it not cheesy or a BEN derivative.

But I refuse to kill Grandma! D:

Why is everything you're showing us so creepy!? D:

If you look at his eyes, it's kind of comical how derpy he his.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.