The Legend of Zelda: Ruinous Shards- Updated 02/24/2015

haddockd

Hi All,

First off ***SOME SPOILERS ARE GOING TO BE IN HERE***

Now that's out of the way....

So I figured I would make an official topic page on this and post any progress I have made. As you all probably know this a a complete plot rewrite with alot of changes. As I continue this mod, I will continue to add to this pages with screenies, etc.

The main plot:

You are the last remaining piece of a powerful fallen God. To protect yourself as a child you must steal the three shards of the Triforce (power, wisdom and courage) and hide in the Temple of Time until such a time as you are strong enough to take on the ultimate Evil! Throughout your travels you will see that much has changed from the Hyrule you knew from previous play throughs. Many items and powerups were stolen and relocated by an infamous band of thieves known as the Order of Chaos. Many of the treasures are sprinkled throughout the world but some of the most valuable are kept in the arduous Riddle of Time Dungeon. Can you find it?....Can you beat it?

Here are a few screenies:

Untitled.png

Glide64_THE_LEGEND_OF_ZELDA_01.png

Glide64_THE_LEGEND_OF_ZELDA_03.png

Glide64_THE_LEGEND_OF_ZELDA_04.png

Glide64_THE_LEGEND_OF_ZELDA_07.png

Glide64_THE_LEGEND_OF_ZELDA_10.png

• Like 5

I am uploading some video of a few things that I did.

While that loads, here are a few pics that show about that annoying owl:

I made him give you useful information (thank God right?). I made him essentially the main gossip/knowledge transfer actor in the game so listen closely!

Glide64_THE_LEGEND_OF_ZELDA_02.png

I also gave him a sense of humor. He always struck me as a joker

Glide64_THE_LEGEND_OF_ZELDA_04.png

• Like 5

Current issues reported by beta testers:

1) Grammatical issue with Zelda's convo about Ganon
FIXED

2) MAJOR GLITCH!!!! I cant escape WELL.  when i exit it sends me right back inside
 (you made the entrance to be in the kakariko village guard house right as a child??? well it's stuck in a loop)
Moved Linked Spawn point outside of the well once you exit - FIXED

3) Text from owl by lake hylia (not in) goes outside box
FIXED

4) heart peice in gerudo valley by crate is too high. Can't get it w/out boomerang
FIXED

5) Carpenter above the (not yet formed shooting gallery in kakariko as a KID)...his text goes WAY out of text box
FIXED

6) Well water does not stop you from going into the Well dungeon
For now blocked with boulders. Once you have bombs, you can complete this dungeon.

7) Minor texture glitch on one of the unreachable mountain walls in Gerudo Valley
It doesnt affect gameplay at all so I likely will get to this last

8) Text alignment issues
I will get to this after all major bugs are addressed

9) Gilded Tree's text overflows the box in the line "Ganon seeks....." 
FIXED

10) The song in kokiri forest has one VERY loud horn sound that repeats during most of it that is too high pitched and overpowers the other instruments and it doesnt loop.
This is a little out of my area of expertise. Anyone have any thoughts or notes on how to fix?

11) Still managed to accidentally fall down the well without a bomb. May want to move the boulder down. 
FIXED

12) Kakariko Carpenter walks through the wood pillars!  
FIXED - Thanks xDan!

13) Tree in Kakariko there at night, but not during the day. I presume you turned it into the boulder for the well, because there is no boulder during the night. 
FIXED boulders not there at night

I want to take this opportunity to thank several folks who have helped directly or indirectly so far in this mod!

Thanks to the following ppl:

Jason 777 - Created a warp out of my custom dungeon and guiding me on music pointers

xDaniel - Guiding me on waypoints and scene/room information

Mallos31 for injecting some of the new textures into the ROM

mzxrules, Arcaith and Three_Pendants - Assisting me on waterbox and collision issues

netsrac, wakymaky666, Mallos31, z64online2.21 - beta tested picking out the issues with the mod

Test - beta testing picking out the issues with the mod

Ideka - documenting attack and walk speed values in ROM and injecting custom textures into the ROM

• Like 1

Unfortunately what it seems may be a stalling point is that my beta testers have had a hard time finding spare time to play/test my mod.

I am still open to beta testers but please only serious ones. I expect you to play and beat the game in a reasonable amount of time and report any issues to me :)

• 2 months later...

Its been 2 months now and all of my beta testers have not contacted me so I assume they are uninterested or too busy to complete the mod. I also had one member offer to inject a few textures into the ROM for me and that also seems to have fallen through....

So it looks like this mod will either not be released or released as is. I have not yet decided. Unless someone can actually test my mod and give me feedback. That would be super :)

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to thank Test, whom has assisted me in finding several issues with the mod and most of them are already fixed. He/she is going to retest the mod and hopefully we can uncover all the bugs.

Another update: here are more bugs/issues and their status:

The owl just outside lake Hylia is off.

The first text box error causes a graphical error,  It made the graphical emulation freeze until you hit "A". Fixed

The second is a normal *continues-left* error. Fixed

First, just when you meet with Ruto, out of box text. Fixed

Fourth, NOT demonstrated with the name "Test", but I'm fairly sure a slightly longer name will cause "for" to be bumped out of the text box. Like if I named myself "Tester". Fixed

I get text out of boxes(all 4 fixed)

Just after the start, talking to people before heading to the Tree, the "the" is almost out, but "midi-evil"? "medieval" is the correct spelling....

During the talk with the Tree, "you" is out.

During Zelda's talk regarding the Triforce, the "of" is out, and "Gannon" is mispelled "Ganno". Though I didn't notice the mispell 'till just now....

The carpenter who walks through the pillars on top of the "plateau" with the bomb upgrade talks out of the box. He walks through pillars, speaks out of the box, and mispells his words :|

Weird stuff that's not supposed to happen:

Carpenter that walks through pillars mentioned above. (fixed)

Can't seem to get any (past) kokiri forest skulltulas. No skulltula "by links house" and the soft soil doesn't *jingle* and spit out a skulltula when you dump bugs on it.... The soft soils in the lost woods DO work though. Tested during both day and night. It was too high to get. My fault completely. I moved it to ground level. Although I need to look into it because the map changes after you beat the deku tree.

Hmm, some of the talks with npcs don't make much sense.

When the owl meets you in the forest, he informs you of the deku stick upgrade at lon lon ranch, and the bomb upgrade in the village, but implies they must be found a night. Fixed

A bit of zelda's talk doesn't make sense, like if you reply "no" to "are you okay". Question -> Result of No, (Fixed)

Zelda's train of thought in these two text boxes (they're one after the other), first (vileness instead of vile?), second. (Fixed)

Douchebag guard is mocking my inability to phase through walls. (Impa's house) Haha. Indeed. Fixed

Spelling, grammar, or phrasing errors that may affect comprehension if you care:

"I hold the a piece..." -> delete "the" Fixed

"Exorcist" not "Excorsit"  Fixed

Weird stuff that's not supposed to happen but probably isn't your fault/isn't a big deal.

Because the Bomb upgrade is obtainable before the bombs themselves, we've got "bomb bag that holds 30" but no bombs... 

Fixed. I moved that upgrade to a different location and changed what the owl said to match

A HUGE Thanks to Test! He/she is moving quickly through my mod and finding bugs for me to squash!

Another bug report:

1: When you go to beat the Tree for the first time, just as the camera zooms in, a long name can make it go out of the box. Perhaps move "I found" to the previous line? Fixed

2: Forest stage still weird, this time a pic of the sign Working on this one

3: youcame -> you came Fixed

4-6: Out of map area, also present in the original. It's where you get the slingshot. Hmmm. This is a flaw of the MQ game itself.

7: LONGNAME -> Out of box, Solution: "you are" -> "you're" Fixed

8-9: After saving Ruto, selecting "I need nothing" leads to text out of the box given a sufficiently long name (I mentioned this before and you said it got fixed...?) Perhaps delete "to you", and leave it "I must apologize [NAME] for" Fixed

10-11: More of a question, but are you planning on trying to figure out how to replace those graphics of the Stones? Also, I've been wondering why the Tree gives you the Power shard and the Gorons the Courage.... rather than the other way around. I have Mallos31 working on it for me as we speak. I am sure he will be finished up soon because he is awesome!  :)

Also, I gave the tree the shard for 2 reasons:

1) Giving the Gorons the power item is soooo trite and over done. I wanted to spice it up

2) Once you come back to the Deku Tree as an Adult, you will see why he has the Shard of Power. It is a major plot point.

Shoot, I forgot to mention, I don't think the invisible chest in the Tree showed up on the map. I'll see if I can get a screenshot real quick. Fixed

Hopefully more updates to come!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Additional thanks:

Thanks to Ideka for helping me with a few textures and the navi color changer!

CloudMax for his Texture Explorer. It allowed me to import my custom textures to make the mod more enjoyable!

HUGE thanks to:

Jason777 for importing the new biggoron sword (Ultima Blade)

Test for putting up with all the issues the mod had and sticking with being my sole tester

MelonSpeedruns for assisting me with several textures and the start logo for my mod

Without these 3 guys, the mod would have never been released! I anticipate having it released as soon as Jason and Test are finished up so look out world, here comes my mod!

• Like 6

Yeah...icons and textures are def not my specialty haha. If that is the worst part of the mod I think I did a great job seeing as how it was a one man show (outside of Jason who imported several items for me)

Although if anyone is up for making a few textures for me I am absolutely open to it. The catch is that I plan on releasing this within a week (assuming all bugs are squashed) so I would hopefully have any work by then :)

Alrighty...official report time!

I am working with Jason777 and MelonSpeedruns to fix the following issues:

1) Importing the Ultima Blade causes my custom dungeon to not load second room

2) New icons for a few items in the menu

3) Fixing the audio for kokiri forest (no loop and one loud note) and kakariko (no loop) - Still need help here. Anyone good with music? I *think* it is just a few small adjustments

4) Create a custom logo for the start screen (Ruinout shards instead of Master Quest) - CDi-Fails

Unless anything comes out during beta testing, this bad boy is almost out the gate!

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.