Mario's Nightmare Quest

CM30

Thanks for the compliments!

Also, if anyone's worried, don't be. I have absolutely no plans for cancelling this mod before it's completed. Seen a lot of great mods and fan games get cancelled recently, and this won't be one of them.

• Like 1

How have I not posted in here yet?!

Okay, first thing's first. This mod looks amazing! I know we have things like Super Mario Maker, but this is just downright breathtaking. I love what you've done with it.

Secondly, given how things are going, I'm really looking forward to trying it out when it's done.

Phenomenal work, dude!

• Like 2

How have I not posted in here yet?!

Okay, first thing's first. This mod looks amazing! I know we have things like Super Mario Maker, but this is just downright breathtaking. I love what you've done with it.

Secondly, given how things are going, I'm really looking forward to trying it out when it's done.

Phenomenal work, dude!

Thanks for the compliments! Nice to see how many people here and at ROM Hacking.net like this game.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah, Dropbox broke image embedding, and all those images are stored on my Dropbox account.

Still, it's not a huge loss. They're all ridiculously outdated now, and most of the stuff in them doesn't even exist in the game any more.

Don't worry too much about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, just tested a program that auto generates sprite graphics routines.

Seems to work pretty well all things considered. Actually gave me a working graphics routine for a sprite based on Dumb Drum from the original Donkey Kong Country. That's impressive given said boss is about 64 x 88 pixels in size.

Of course, said boss would need a custom collision detection routine and actual pattern, but hey, it's going to make setting up the graphics side much easier at least.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, this is a bit morbid:

SMW_00000.png.347c71ccfcd8f44a40da2936435d9f2e.pngSMW_00001.png.fbf695c2a016efa8126fd849a4ba5abc.pngSMW_00002.png.f7cd8a7d1bd98e6827970f3167754033.png

It's a level set inside of the body of... honestly I don't know what. Some sort of demon monster?

Either way, the FG is from a guy called PROX on SMBX.org, the BG is from a game called Incantation (seriously, the 'hellscape' level  there looks ridiculously out of place in said otherwise kid friendly game) and the creepy eyeballs actually blink.

Will I work on this tomorrow or Gaming Reinvented tomorrow? Who knows.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Okay, seems like the level design issues with this game are a bit worse than I thought. Will probably have to redesign about 80% of the stages to make them the quality I want them to be, especially now I actually know something about game design and have swatted up on things like Mark Brown's Game Maker's Toolkit videos. Too many levels in this just don't really go anywhere or introduce/use their mechanics in interesting ways, which will be hopefully fixed soon.

Next demo will have redesigned levels up to the end of the desert themed world. Then I'll figure out how to proceed from there.

6 hours ago, CM30 said:

Okay, seems like the level design issues...

Mark Brown's level design toolkit videos are great!

I know what you mean. As a dev, It can be really hard to tell when it is and isn't okay to have sections that are underdeveloped. Often times it sections that you may think are interesting can be really boring to actually play through.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, some good news. The latest version of the power up patch is finally compatible with SA-1, and is installed on this game. This means it now has the following power ups:

• Hammer Suit
  • Super Leaf
  • Tanooki Suit
  • Frog Suit
  • Superball Flower
  • Ice Flower
  • Mini Mushroom
  • Rocket Boots
  • Propeller Mushroom
  • Bubble Flower
  • Penguin Suit
  • Blue Shell

With the Cat Suit possibly coming in future. Pretty cool eh?

I've also now got blocks that shatter when hit with a hammer, boomerang, Mario in his shell form, a superball and statue Mario falling on them, as well as ones only passable as Mini Mario and water the latter can run on. The Superball flower can also be used to collect coins from afar.

Additionally, I've also added a great patch that adds platform collision for sprites, meaning sprites like enemies now interact with moving platforms, springs, etc. This has some... funny results:

MNQ_00001.png.f25869411a67192ed923100a57579452.png

(the grey platform falls if you stand on it directly, taking the Chuck and spring down with it)

It's absolutely insane, and it makes you almost question whether this is still Super Mario World you're playing. Then again, the levels and mechanics and sprites and effects and what not in general will probably make you question the same thing, since this is... basically a new game built on the same engine with only vague mechanical similarities left.

There's also a new map design in progress, various new levels (to even out the count) and a new game design expert on the testing team.

So yeah, expect to hear more (and perhaps see another demo) soon.

• Like 1

They originally couldn't interact with platforms. But when Mario Maker came out, people in the SMW hacking community realised that coding a patch for that sort of interaction was a great idea and would help a lot with interesting level designs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Current progress:

Forest tileset replaced again, this time should be final

Pokey graphics replaced, look much better

Desert tileset replaced, looks much better too

And ripped a few random tilesets meant for indie projects from sites like Open Game Art, and they look fantastic as well.

Actually need to get around to making levels at some point.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.