YOUR OPINION: Malon or Ruto?

Samurai

What if Link took the Spiderman approach and just ditched all girls?

We haven't even assumed that maybe he's gay or something too. What if he really likes Ghirahim or something? I mean, who can account for the sexual preferences of Heroes of Time? He never shows much interest in the girls in the games (skyward sword he does maybe with Zelda).

But Ghirahim is calling.

Nahhh... hes callin for Shiek XD

Breasts aren't a characteristic of mammals. It's a characteristic of humanoids, which Zora happen to be. Breasts don't even have anything to do with the reproductive cycle.

And on a similar note, even if they were both mammals, they still would not be compatible. I mean, humans are mammals. Cows are mammals. Try to get a cow pregnant and it won't work. Much less a human and a fucking amphibian. It just doesn't work. A zora hybrid would be a freak of nature spliced in some mad scientist's laboratory as a cruel experiment.

Obviously, she has breasts just for female characterization and (as I tried to express) I was going for the absurd/wtf? side of the story just for fun.

I think it would be wrong to even think someone were in anyway serious about defending the scientific possibility of cross-breeding.

Now a serious observation: How the hell breasts aren't a characteristic of mammals!? The name itself, mammal, which should determine their MAIN characteristic, comes from the latin word mamma, or in english: breast.

Zora are amphibians. This is a fact. You can't be mammalian and amphibian. Mammals are air breathers, and air breathers only. And yes, mammals milk, but do you really think Zora, well known for their amphibian characteristics, milk like a mammal? I really don't think so. Yes, they do have lumps on their chests, but they do not have mammary glands.

Perhaps breasts were some sort of evolutionary design that got worked out. Kinda like how guys have breasts even though they don't use 'em. It also makes sense that the species would die out if they were frozen in some sort of way because of the cold-blooded nature of them.

It takes about one to three days from the time the Zora eggs are laid for them to hatch, according to Majora's Mask, so the question is if they fertilize outside or inside the body. Do they go the route of fish or birds?

Zora are amphibians. This is a fact. You can't be mammalian and amphibian. Mammals are air breathers, and air breathers only. And yes, mammals milk, but do you really think Zora, well known for their amphibian characteristics, milk like a mammal? I really don't think so. Yes, they do have lumps on their chests, but they do not have mammary glands.

Fictional characters' biology is serious business.

Very much so. Humans and zora just can't happen, I am sorry, but it can't. Therefore, by default, we go with Malon.

I think it would be wrong to even think someone were in anyway serious about defending the scientific possibility of cross-breeding.

You just can't read, I am sorry, but you can't.

Malon does seem the better choice. Plus, she has business skills. Running a ranch and dealing with all that.

She's a genius: she developed a way to make cows give you bottled and labeled milk just by singing!

You just can't read, I am sorry, but you can't.

Excuse me, but where do you get off throwing an insult at me for simply stating a point? I'm not going to read something and say, "Oh, okay, well I'm just going to leave this conversation now." I didn't keep posting just to toss science in everyone's faces. I kept posting because I was interested in the conversation, and felt like throwing science into the boiling pot of wat that this thread is. It's not like you are the only person in this conversation, Strati. I don't have to drop something simply because you reaffirmed my stance. Things just don't work like that.

• Like 5

I'm with Ashe on this one. In the dictionary, Amphibians are:

1. A cold-blooded, smooth-skinned vertebrate of the class Amphibia, such as a frog or salamander, that characteristically hatches as an aquatic larva with gills. The larva then transforms into an adult having air-breathing lungs.
2. An animal capable of living both on land and in water.

Zoras are capable of living on both land and in water, as we witness in Majora's Mask, they lay eggs that hatch rather fish-like offspring. The offspring did not yet have limbs, only a body and tail. Much like a tadpole. I believe that as they mature, they gain these limbs, like a frog.
It would seem very odd to me for a mammal, a human, to be with an Amphibian, similar to a frog.

So.... I think that it's good for people to add facts, science, and logic to their opinions, even if it's on fictional characters. In fact, it may give them ideas on their own stories and how to explain the world that they create.

Back to the topic....
I'm still with Malon on this one, even looking on it from a more emotional standpoint (Putting race aside for a moment). Ruto sort of forced Link into marriage before knowing him more than a day, Malon treats him more as a friend so far. Malon is portrayed as hard-working, while Ruto forced you to carry her. I'd hate to think that it would go so far as Link being treated as Ruto's slave, but it seems like he would be.
  • Like 2

Let's look at Ruto for a second.

She was rather young when the Jabu incident happened. Now, by her own admission, she has traveled into Jabu on more than one occasion "since she was little". This makes me believe that there perhaps is a sort of ruse going on, and perhaps does this to get the attention of her father. King Zora doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the pack, and he probably just treats Ruto like she's just there. However, he did show concern with her missing, but not enough to check her favorite haunt--Jabu. The Zoras were sent as far as the river to Hyrule Field, but not to Zora's Fountain. Seems odd.

Perhaps she's just being haughty because that's how she feels she is supposed to be? She does seem mellowed out when she is older, and has that "taking charge" feel about her. She even teases Link about her being his fiance. So, with that behavior, it's almost like she knows she was stupid, and is asking forgiveness for that.

Now, Malon on the other hand, is known to be a dreamer. A gossip stone says she's waiting for her "knight in shining armor" to sweep her off her feet. Now, when Link comes along at ten years old, she's just an ordinary kid towards him who has met another kid her age. Yeah, he dresses funny, but what kid doesn't make fun of another kid? Kids are mean.

Now, when they both grow up and Link finds himself back at the ranch, Malon is much older and more world-weary than Ruto is portrayed. Yeah, Ruto witnessed her entire race being frozen, but for some reason, the game doesn't focus on this trauma. The whole ranch sidestory is a fascinating one to me, because the way it was portrayed.

The difference between the ranch as a kid and adult are very stark differences. As a kid, the horses are free to roam around (in my mod, roam around Hyrule Field at least) and are taken care of. When Ingo takes over the ranch, he seems very cruel to the horses and even beats them (according to Malon). Malon has had everything taken away from her at this point--her dad, the horses, her freedom even, as she won't leave with the horses being treated that way.

So Malon, in a way, is more of a tragic figure than even Ruto could ever hope to be. Even though Ruto's entire race was frozen in ice, she still has her freedom to try and help as best she can. Malon has no way out of the situation she's in without outside help from Link. So, Malon has more world experience than Ruto, as well as the fact she can hold her own against an abusive person (Ingo). I don't see Ruto lasting that long against that sort of opposition. If she still is in her "princess" mode, she expects people to respect her, and probably would trip over backwards if put in a situation like Malon.

So, for reasons listed, Malon is clearly the best person to help get you through a tragedy in a married situation. She's the one who will understand when odds are against you.

tl,dr version: Malon is better because.

• Like 2

Very much so. Humans and zora just can't happen, I am sorry, but it can't. Therefore, by default, we go with Malon.

Reproduction is over-rated. Besides, Malon and Link could never work: they are too similar. While Link is quiet and modest, Ruto is outspoken and haughty. Their personalities were made for each other.

Let's look at Ruto for a second.

She was rather young when the Jabu incident happened. Now, by her own admission, she has traveled into Jabu on more than one occasion "since she was little". This makes me believe that there perhaps is a sort of ruse going on, and perhaps does this to get the attention of her father. King Zora doesn't seem like the brightest bulb in the pack, and he probably just treats Ruto like she's just there. However, he did show concern with her missing, but not enough to check her favorite haunt--Jabu. The Zoras were sent as far as the river to Hyrule Field, but not to Zora's Fountain. Seems odd.

Perhaps she's just being haughty because that's how she feels she is supposed to be? She does seem mellowed out when she is older, and has that "taking charge" feel about her. She even teases Link about her being his fiance. So, with that behavior, it's almost like she knows she was stupid, and is asking forgiveness for that.

Now, Malon on the other hand, is known to be a dreamer. A gossip stone says she's waiting for her "knight in shining armor" to sweep her off her feet. Now, when Link comes along at ten years old, she's just an ordinary kid towards him who has met another kid her age. Yeah, he dresses funny, but what kid doesn't make fun of another kid? Kids are mean.

Now, when they both grow up and Link finds himself back at the ranch, Malon is much older and more world-weary than Ruto is portrayed. Yeah, Ruto witnessed her entire race being frozen, but for some reason, the game doesn't focus on this trauma. The whole ranch sidestory is a fascinating one to me, because the way it was portrayed.

The difference between the ranch as a kid and adult are very stark differences. As a kid, the horses are free to roam around (in my mod, roam around Hyrule Field at least) and are taken care of. When Ingo takes over the ranch, he seems very cruel to the horses and even beats them (according to Malon). Malon has had everything taken away from her at this point--her dad, the horses, her freedom even, as she won't leave with the horses being treated that way.

So Malon, in a way, is more of a tragic figure than even Ruto could ever hope to be. Even though Ruto's entire race was frozen in ice, she still has her freedom to try and help as best she can. Malon has no way out of the situation she's in without outside help from Link. So, Malon has more world experience than Ruto, as well as the fact she can hold her own against an abusive person (Ingo). I don't see Ruto lasting that long against that sort of opposition. If she still is in her "princess" mode, she expects people to respect her, and probably would trip over backwards if put in a situation like Malon.

So, for reasons listed, Malon is clearly the best person to help get you through a tragedy in a married situation. She's the one who will understand when odds are against you.

tl,dr version: Malon is better because.

You bring up decent points. Still, as previously stated, Malon is a "dreamer," so she's the kind of lazy girl who waits for everything to be handed to her. Women like that are TROUBLE.

Ruto follows her heart and "takes charge." She is not the kind of gal to sit around and wait for others to chew her food for her, (metaphorically speaking), despite being a princess. She would not leave Jabu-Jabu without retrieving the Zora's Sapphire, she indicated interest in Link numerous times, and she went to the Water Temple herself. She is self-reliant and confident: she puts all of her heart and soul into her every endeavour.

Confidence is, without a doubt, the most beautiful and inspiring personality trait of all.

• Like 1

Reproduction is over-rated. Besides, Malon and Link could never work: they are too similar. While Link is quiet and modest, Ruto is outspoken and haughty. Their personalities were made for each other.

You bring up decent points. Still, as previously stated, Malon is a "dreamer," so she's the kind of lazy girl who waits for everything to be handed to her. Women like that are TROUBLE.

Ruto follows her heart and "takes charge." She is not the kind of gal to sit around and wait for others to chew her food for her, (metaphorically speaking), despite being a princess. She would not leave Jabu-Jabu without retrieving the Zora's Sapphire, she indicated interest in Link numerous times, and she went to the Water Temple herself. She is self-reliant and confident: she puts all of her heart and soul into her every endeavour.

Confidence is, without a doubt, the most beautiful and inspiring personality trait of all.

Personalities don't necessarily have to be opposite. Me and my husband aren't opposite personality-wise. We both like the same things, and we're both pretty quiet people. Now, I do take care of paying all the bills, housework, shopping and such while he goes to work, but that's by choice and not really by personality. He does do the laundry though, because I hate doing it, and he volunteered for it.

I hate the phrase follow your heart. It's the silliest phrase ever. Hearts are evil. But I've expressed my viewpoint elsewhere on that.

I don't see Malon as sitting and waiting around...I see her as having no control over the situation. Ruto doesn't really have anything to lose by her actions, so it's easier to take risks. Malon has the ranch, so she's a bit more careful in her choices.

As giadrosich stated, Ruto has little to lose by her actions. In Jabu-Jabu, she's been in him before, so she probably didn't see it as very risky.
And uhm, as for not wanting people to chew her food for her, Samurai, how about walk for her?

And when she went to the temple.... well, EVERYONE except her was frozen anyway, so she had nothing to lose and everything to fight for. She didn't have much of a choice, and she probably didn't know that Link would come to save the day, or anyone other than maybe Sheik.
Malon said that she did try to disobey Ingo, so she wasn't completely submissive for a time. But she allowed herself to be put in a bad situation because of her concern for the horses. She had everything to lose (horses can be very close emotionally to humans, so they were probably like her friends or even family), and only her own freedom to fight for, which probably wouldn't be much freedom since Ganondorf put Ingo in charge, anyway. Ganondorf, the new leader, had kicked her father out and away, so.....
She was not only against the person who now owned the farm, but the person who placed him in that position. Sure, Ruto also went against the one who froze her people, but hey, can't get too much worse than being frozen.

As giadrosich stated, Ruto has little to lose by her actions. In Jabu-Jabu, she's been in him before, so she probably didn't see it as very risky.And uhm, as for not wanting people to chew her food for her, Samurai, how about walk for her?

And when she went to the temple.... well, EVERYONE except her was frozen anyway, so she had nothing to lose and everything to fight for. She didn't have much of a choice, and she probably didn't know that Link would come to save the day, or anyone other than maybe Sheik.Malon said that she did try to disobey Ingo, so she wasn't completely submissive for a time. But she allowed herself to be put in a bad situation because of her concern for the horses. She had everything to lose (horses can be very close emotionally to humans, so they were probably like her friends or even family), and only her own freedom to fight for, which probably wouldn't be much freedom since Ganondorf put Ingo in charge, anyway. Ganondorf, the new leader, had kicked her father out and away, so.....She was not only against the person who now owned the farm, but the person who placed him in that position. Sure, Ruto also went against the one who froze her people, but hey, can't get too much worse than being frozen.

Personalities don't necessarily have to be opposite. Me and my husband aren't opposite personality-wise. We both like the same things, and we're both pretty quiet people. Now, I do take care of paying all the bills, housework, shopping and such while he goes to work, but that's by choice and not really by personality. He does do the laundry though, because I hate doing it, and he volunteered for it.

I hate the phrase follow your heart. It's the silliest phrase ever. Hearts are evil. But I've expressed my viewpoint elsewhere on that.

I don't see Malon as sitting and waiting around...I see her as having no control over the situation. Ruto doesn't really have anything to lose by her actions, so it's easier to take risks. Malon has the ranch, so she's a bit more careful in her choices.

Hm. Both very valid points. I like your opinions. Maybe I just don't like Malon's approach, lol. She could have gotten the ranch back by murdering Ingo and fighting Ganondorf with a bloody pitchfork. xD

After reading everything I have to say that this escalated (not that) quickly.... but then it turned into a quite interesting discussion. Those were some really good arguments you guys have and you should have your own talk-show :).

Hm. Both very valid points. I like your opinions. Maybe I just don't like Malon's approach, lol. She could have gotten the ranch back by murdering Ingo and fighting Ganondorf with a bloody pitchfork. xD

Dude, Malon is the kind of girl who knows that taking somebodies live is wrong and that it would haunt her for the rest of her life.... but i do like the pitchfork idea ^^

• Like 1

That's the beauty of it, I guess, in their character development- if they had the same characteristics, they would be boring now would they? :D

I agree with both of your guy's points- I'm fathomed.

Speaking of which, I read on an article about two months ago that Shigeru was going to implement a "choose your girl" thing; is that true?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.