Zelda's Eternal Youth Hack - [MORE UPDATES!!!]

Airikita

Conducting a function swap test; swapping the function for the map with the item menu function:

MapMenu_EquipmentFunctionSwapTest_zpsr2w

This is just a test in RAM, the code will have to be constructed correctly for a proper actual swap. But the test for this one function proves credible. There are limitations for now, but all changes can be made mostly in the core item menu function.

Here's a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8nu_W95ZKw

• Like 2

Very good, Airikita! Once again, a thing that I wish I could do, but can't. But, that's okay. I will learn eventually. I just wish I knew how to make ASM hacks so that I could do more with my own ROM Hack. Oh well.

BTW, would it be possible through ASM to make ONLY Adult Link's Tunic white no matter what?

Very good, Airikita! Once again, a thing that I wish I could do, but can't. But, that's okay. I will learn eventually. I just wish I knew how to make ASM hacks so that I could do more with my own ROM Hack. Oh well.

BTW, would it be possible through ASM to make ONLY Adult Link's Tunic white no matter what?

No, there is a set of tunic color values in the ROM you can change, but the one I did specifically required ASM hacking to expand the equipment list.

The 2nd inventory function swap is a complete success:

2InventoriesFullyFunctional2_zps9pb2d7qa

Some minor hurdles:

--------------------------

Before the fix, there was an issue where, if the same row was equipped to the c-buttons, the game assumed it was the same item being equipped, and would remove the other item. This happened with the Bunny Hood and the Bow because both of them were in slot 4. I changed it to check for the item IDs instead.

There was also an issue when equipping magic arrows, my custom search for the selection would fail to find it in each panel (doing a looped item search for both), so that was fixed to set the flag for the 1st inventory selection as to not have that conflict.

This does result in two minor inconveniences:

• You can't equip multiple bottles of the same type
    (meaning if you have a row of fairies in 4 bottles, you can only equip one only, you can't put 3 on different C-buttons)
  • You can equip multiple types of bows (such as the different magic arrows)

That being said, these are minor inconveniences, and doesn't affect the result. The good thing, for now, is that the separate item panels don't have that conflict with items. I mean, who doesn't enjoy wearing bunny ears while shooting a bow? Geeze... I sure do!  :3

Also: credit to Aeroblast43o9 for the new bow icon.
It was due for a change which I probably wouldn't gotten around to for a while until my to-do list got to that point.

• Like 4

Testing out a new heart meter:

ModdedShrinkingHeart_zpsvdiczfae.png

I got rid of the 52 hearts (the 4 rows), at first by trying to shrink them. By then I just scrapped it in place of this heart meter concept. I will improve the quality of the heart texture once I replace the old hearts with bigger images, and I can fix the display list to match it..

The reason I removed the old 4 rows of hearts was because of how the cluster of hearts would cover up a big portion of the inventory menu. Also, I figured this would look a lot cooler anyways.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

------

Now with a 32x32 heart texture:

HiQualityHeartMeter_zpsd9b7tycf.png

Had to edit the ASM to insert the proper values into the RAM display list.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Mock ALttP style beam sword test:

It looks like the boomerang for now because that is what I am using as a base.

I attempted to modify King Dodongo's flame earlier for this, but it turned out that was becoming more of a mess/chore than necessary... so I switched out for the boomerang figuring out how to spawn it correctly.

• Like 3

Why not use an arrow? 

Due to the fact that the arrow had a lot of unnecessary code, which added bulk, plus the boomerang spins for the added effect to make the beam effect more like ALttP style, plus the boomerang has the added "homing" effect when z-targeting an enemy so as not to miss (A bit like Deity Link's sword attack in MM I assume?).

Also add the bonus "sparks" when it hits something, like magic sparks, rather than just sticking in the ground when it hits something.... it would look strange.

Not to mention the arrow actor has too many damage values considering I'm not making it work like the arrows... just one damage value to change in the boomerang, in which I made it do the same attack as the Master Sword swing.

The result is this:

The texture didn't convert as expected, but at least the result is what was desired. Might need to work on the opacity of the disc manually it seems...

Going to ensure that the attack can only be spawned once at a time, but for now it's still being tested.

• Like 2

Update:

----------

4th rupee upgrade was activated, replaced by the Silver Scale (which is now obsolete, and who cares about it really)

Originally the values were 99, 100, and 500, but now the values are 200, 1000, 5000, and 9999!

3rd wallet item has been added to activate this once-disabled upgrade.

9999Wallet_zpsbcll9jo7.png

Also, Gohma also has an enemy counterpart and will now appear as a legitimate enemy in later dungeons.

• Like 4

Actually, I think I prefer boomerang base to the arrow :) The only reason I had myself fixed on the arrow was because of the cool magic explosion effect (which is unfortunately disruptive like mzxrules pointed out) and that it shot straight like a laser beam.

The added homing capabilites and the disk-like form of your version is very similar to the Skyward Strike which is easy to appreciate. Nice job, Airikita!

• Like 1

Update:
----------
4th rupee upgrade was activated, replaced by the Silver Scale (which is now obsolete, and who cares about it really)

Originally the values were 99, 100, and 500, but now the values are 200, 1000, 5000, and 9999!
3rd wallet item has been added to activate this once-disabled upgrade.

9999Wallet_zpsbcll9jo7.png

I tried and failed to incorporate this into my mod (the fourth and 9999 rupee upgrade). I wanted to edit shops and deku scrub salesmen to make things more expensive to artificially inflate the value of finding secret items or sources of revenue which would make the game less linear than the original.

Nice Work!

You know, I could cut out my rupee recursion digit hack, and allow the 4 digits to be operable. I can also allow the silver scale to be the 4th upgrade (3rd wallet), but you'd have to incorporate that yourself after.

Although, if you want a different item replaced, I could look into that. Just be warned, it should be an upgrade item. Not sure if I can get it to work for stuff like the Stone of Agony, for example...

Then again, if you just want the 4 digit hack, I can make a patch for that, possibly, since I found my notes on it,

----------------------

One a side-note, current hurdles/issues:

---------------------------------------------------

gi objects are showing up improperly... no matter how many times I convert the grenade model, it's invisible and fudges the HUD when obtained. Due to this, it also crashes shops when entering when the grenade item is on a shelf.

I have removed the additional shaders, just as I did with Majora's Clock, but it doesn't seem to be fixing the issue. I can test if the model normally shows up fine on anything else though, just it seems like there's a shader tucked away somewhere I have no knowledge of at this time.

Thanks Airikita but my mod is almost complete and God knows how many additional hacks and flags I have tweaked to make things work so adding more may be a bad idea. Jason777 was instrumental in making a large portion of my custom dungeon playable.

That could be true; it's up to you really.

Found a choke point for all input actions, and decided to swap A and B today:

AandBSwitched_zpsjdrjo1or.png

The bonus? No extra coding/digging required! Except with the quirk that the button colors had to be changed to match the original N64 colors.

But that was done before. I merely switched the RGB readings for the buttons themselves instead of trying to alter/store the colors again.

• Like 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.