Zelda's Eternal Youth Hack - [MORE UPDATES!!!]

Airikita

You can fix the black outlines by setting the SETTILE mode to clamp.

Yes, and looking at the model I exported, clamp is checked off for UV mapping (using MilkShape's Texture Coordinate Editor, I can see it's checked).

Perhaps it is the converter? I also noticed sphere mapping doesn't apply either (for the metal/shine effect).

I can see there has still been some confusions as to Epona's size in ZEY compared to MM, so here's a pic to clear any confusions up:

MMandZEYEponaComparison_zps84ab7b4d.png

The size was fixed earlier, and Epona is not imported from MM, she is the Young Epona that already exists in OoT resized. I figured I'd do this pic to be sure there wasn't any confusions as it seems my Young Epona mod has some optical illusions in the screenshots.

On another note, I was going to work on the hookshot for Young Link, and then a glitch in Epona came up (which I thought I had fixed -.- I blame Nintendo for borking the camera code).

She has also been modified to clear wider gaps:

• Like 1

Currently designing a new hookshot:

CustomHookshot_WIP_7_zps1297beb7.png

It will have special properties, and don't mind the extra hands for now, they're just placeholders until I move the chain and hook and pointer. I'm going through some textures to see which will fit best... It should look better with the hook.

• Like 6

What happened to the chainchomp?

Sadly it won't fit the theme of the mod, and I have plans for this type of hookshot. Chain Chomp won't fit the mechanics I've uncovered. Especially when the design will fit the area it will be in:

HookshotCustom_zps2e469882.png

LinksNewFireIceSword2_zpsa6c2b7e7.png

I was almost close to overdoing this sword, but I restrained myself. Almost got into a pretty unique design. I will say it was inspirational to modify this fire/ice sword, where it will do ice or fire attacks depending on which spin attack is used. You can light torches with the red spin attack.

I could make it have a shorter handle, and make Link hold it one-handed, but it didn't look as nice smaller, and it looks like a sword that he should carry with both hands.

I was so close to not putting this in my mod because I had just created something new, but it was something that was meant for ZEY, and I kept it toned down. Here's what it looks like in MilkShape:

Custom2HElementalSword_WIP9_zps46eeb4ab.

It's a decent size too, 0x17D8 in length.

Taking advantage of damage table pointers in RAM actor instances should help you greatly instead of going through each individual actor modifying the damage tables in ROM.

You can find the damage table pointers located 0x98 bytes away from the start of the RAM actor. Here's a little hack that added the flame effect to the Biggoron's sword slash attack (GNU-style to work with Galatea): http://pastebin.com/s046hj7b

RAM addresses used:

• 0x80213C50 : list of currently used actors
  • 0x80213C50 + 0x28 : number of currently loaded "enemy" actors
  • 0x80213C50 + 0x2C : pointer to first loaded "enemy" actor
  • RAM Actor + 0x98 : pointer to actor's damage table
  • RAM Actor + 0x124 : pointer to next actor in the same category
  • Damage Table + 0x11 : Fire Arrow entry (turns out it's not needed)
  • Damage Table + 0x0A : Biggoron Sword Entry
  • Damage Table Entry & 0xF0 : Effect (split into bits)
  • Damage Table Entry & 0x0F : Damage
Using that hack as a reference (my hook is crap though), it shouldn't be hard to detect the sword currently in use and modify damage table entries for strong and weak spin attack accordingly.

GS code:

811064B0 0818
811064B2 0000
81600000 3C08
81600002 8021
81600004 3508
81600006 3C50
81600008 8D09
8160000A 0028
8160000C 8D0A
8160000E 002C
81600010 1120
81600012 0011
81600014 0000
81600016 0000
81600018 1140
8160001A 000F
8160001C 8D4B
8160001E 0098
81600020 8168
81600022 0011
81600024 3108
81600026 00F0
81600028 816C
8160002A 000A
8160002C 318C
8160002E 000F
81600030 0188
81600032 6025
81600034 A16C
81600036 000A
81600038 2529
8160003A FFFF
8160003C 1120
8160003E 0006
81600040 0000
81600042 0000
81600044 8D4A
81600046 0124
81600048 1140
8160004A 0003
8160004C 0000
8160004E 0000
81600050 1000
81600052 FFF2
81600054 0000
81600056 0000
81600058 03E0
8160005A 0008
8160005C 0000
8160005E 0000

• Like 1

http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Zelda_64:_Damage_Charts

You're overdoing it... the damage mapping for the biggoron spin is one word length and damage mappings use bit flags to determine which damage/effect you want by changing the bits.

Many enemies have which flag will hurt them at 0x34 from their actor number in their file. Most of them have FFFCFFFF but Ghoma larvae use FFFDFFFF for the "friendly fire" bit flag. The first item in the damage list starts with 00000001, then 00000002, then 00000004, etc...

Refer to

I'm mostly aware of how the damage chart works; I had, however forgotten that there were separate entries for different sword's and their spin attack (oh well, less checks!). The point was so that you wouldn't have to go modify each actor's damage table in ROM.

I'm a little confused. What way were you proposing to add the fire/ice effect to the Biggoron's Sword replacement?

Aiming for some simple designs, I decided to go for some beta-ish looks without going too far into any beta themes, so I customized a hammer and found a shield texture online to use for the Hylian Sheild:

NewHammerZEY_zpsa03589a8.pngBetaSheild_zps96ba4a0f.png

I also have edited the code so that Link will hold the Hylian Shield with his right arm, but I have yet to import a proper shield for Link's hand. I will also be making a new Mirror Shield for Link, and a new sword in place of the Master Sword.

================================================================

EDIT:

New arrow items being added in as we speak:

WindArrowTest_zps9df44ccf.png

SpiritArrowTest_zps04211539.png

ShadowArrowTest_zpsdd409bc7.png

I think the allotted text is perfect, as I'd rather keep the 3 arrows short and sweet. Works out nicely.

• Like 4

Cool!  Am I the only one who thinks of the carnival "ring the bell" game?

Honestly ZEY looks to be not only one of the best Zelda Mods, or even best N64 mods, but might very well end up being one of the greatest ROM Hacks ever.

Thanks jsa, that might be a good theme for the hammer if there is some way to combine that with ZEY, but for the meantime dungeons are not on the list. Still a few other items to re-tool, although after the Master Sword, I think I'll move on to my first map import.

That being said, I am having a relaxing day today, so I just did some hex-editing, and some other "hidden" features in the game were added lately:

WindArrowTestText_zps22bd786d.png

Nothing is entirely final until the going gets good. As much as I'd love to implement a dark world and a mirror, I don't think there is any need for much more re-tooling items, although I have broken the ability to obtain the Biggoron's Sword legitly. That being said, the quest items are up for switching to other items that can come from a chest.

I could pretty much transform any of the adult sidequest items into the biggoron sword by changing its entry, and fixing it to become Twinrova's Blade, etc etc...

I still need to fix other gi models, but for now it's a matter of keeping my head on straight after digging through the code.

A lot of re-programming has been done to ZEY, so this project hasn't been idle in the past month or so. I hope everyone is enjoying the updates as I am having fun with this project.

Also, I might need some assistance for a proper Fishing Rod gi model. The model should be under 0x2000 in size mostly, though most gi models are under 0x1000. I may have overstated Majora's Clock which is a tad over 0x2000, but that being said, it depends on where I place it. Seems for now my RAM expansion hack has allowed me some saving grace, and a lot of other re-tooling has opened up more positives.

I tend to keep things down to a low, and plan to maintain optimization. Some maps, when loaded with enemies, do glitch-out the game even with the expansion. I have yet to test more of it on hardware, and I'm annoyed over the Epona issue at times. I had to remove Epona's group from Kokiri Forest, because, thanks to the re-tooling, I was able to exclude her, but console doesn't agree with that at times, so I need to test a few other things.

If it still crashes, then spinout's RAM page is missing another exception handler, which should be nearby the one listed, so it may not be impossible to find, just extra work.

I'd much appreciate a plain low-poly fishing rod model if anyone is willing to take on that and make quick work. Don't worry about textures or colors, since that's part of the optimization. I have been over-thinking my mod, and not falling asleep because of a rush of ideas, so I need to pull back again, which is where I slowed down a bit today.

I pretty much hit the rush for each component of items so far, minus the details. So I'm about ready to start reviewing the plot, and go from there again. Gohma has also been fixed to be stunned by Deku Sticks and the swords (with some limitations, but I don't plan on expanding). I thank Three_Pendants for his documentations, and tools via xdaniel, and others who have allowed our projects to thrive.

I know it's been a bit dry this summer, but I still hope everyone is enjoying themselves.

• Like 4

All 6 tunics are now equipable:

Eventually the final 3 will allow bonus defense, but for now it's only a tester until I can get the tunics to read from a different save data spot for new flags, since the tunic flags overlap the boot flags. The real hurdle is making the new tunics obtainable.

• Like 5

No more delays in ZEY:

Also the pause menu fix is different, as it removes the mess that the original fix causes, but it's not a work up from the original fix, but a complete retooling of it. It actually ignores the counter, the counter doesn't get changed, it just avoids loading the overhead, and I even opted out the function that loads debug display list commands (00 command, not even 01 - F3DEX2_VTX).

This optimizes the display list in the GDLT and makes even more space for what appears on-screen. A significant reduction in any lag when the Stalchildren spawn near the dense area of Hyrule Field while Epona is in the picture. Any overload and weird display errors were removed with the removal of the debug GDLT commands, and I could easily remove the pre-rendering procedure for the GDLT, which bloated the GDLT so much it was throwing errors..

EDIT:

Using Direct64, you can see the blurs don't show:

CleanPauseMenu_zpse38c5e7c.png

• Like 8

• 5 months later...

Hey all, I'm back from a break. Been off due to college, but also because of health issues... taking some new medication that's causing unpleasant side-effects, including bouts of insomnia, which wrecked up my holidays a bit more than I can take. I'm also back to college, but it's not going to be as intense as before.

Regardless, remember that huge mess with the tunics? If not, they used to overlap with the boots (the added 3 tunics) because of the read-out being a half-word at 0x009C of 8015E660, so I did some mod flipping, and made it a completely functioning word, which also means, heck I can make 16 equipment items, but there is still limitations in the game itself which would need multiple changes at once for the whole thing to flow properly, which is more work than I'd like to deal with tyvm... heheh.

I also managed to fix some other errors, because apparently the menu didn't appreciate my modifications. I gave it the bird, and took a break, a shower, slept, blah blah. Well whatever, I got some info from CloudMax for his menu hack, and modified it to work with the equipment menu.

So here's what the new changes look like to the equipment with the new custom tunics as obtainable items:

• Like 9

NCoinToken_ik_zpsc67e90fc.png

Having a discussion with GlitterBerri on a debug text saying "N coin = x(%d)" ("coin" being a kanji word rather than in English), I came across it coming from the Gold Skulltula token. As such, the Gold Skulltula tokens will now be used as N-coin currency.

There are 4 different color coins, however... gold, red, green, and blue. Just like rupees. So it likely matches the amounts that rupees have, however I don't really have a use for the other kinds, nor does it matter.

• Like 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.