Map modelling tips and help

john_smith_account

Question

Why, we could do that last time I talked to you on IRC... However, in most cases, it is disassemble and reassemble, as there is no decompiling yet - decompiling is a very,very tricky process.

http://spinout182.com/dodongo/

http://spinout182.com/mqd/a

http://spinout182.com/mqd/ovl

http://64.vg/dr/node/75

Me? I haven't been on an IRC since late 2009. Maybe December-ish.

I've seen the page for the disassembly of the actors. My question is how do you get that back in the game.

Same question on the texture animations. I've seen the page, and the code, but I don't understand how to use it, how to get it into the game.

I've missed something here, and I'm sorry for my ingorance, but could you please help the rest of us get started by showing us what to do with this. Not how to modify it, or how to program. Just how to get it into the game.

Please.

Edit:

*Consults Google*

ASMN6432.EXE? LemAsm??

Hmmmm, intresting....... Maybe if I tried harder you wouldn't have to spoon feed me. Is that the point?

Hey guys. I'm kinda stumped on what kinda details to add to the upper floors of my Face Shrine re-imagined map. While I decided I wanted to have marble walls stick through So far my main decoration design are to have marble stone structures sticking through the floor, ceiling, and walls, and some with "paintings" of faces. Planned designs are to add in moldings to the walls, and support beams.

However, at the same time, I'm stumped. What kinds of textures should I use for these things? In particular, I am very concerned that the torches are ugly. Furthermore, I cannot decide on a ceiling texture that would look good with the walls. Help?

Screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can someone pass me from textures ripped from OoT for me to use, or recommend me what to do to make the map look better??

Lishy: Did you try the face texture I sent you? Also, the texture you have for the wall (the black fades to blue) is quite nice, but try flipping it - blue on the bottom, black on the top, and then give your model a black ceiling. It will give the effect of disappearing into the darkness.

Me? I haven't been on an IRC since late 2009. Maybe December-ish.

I've seen the page for the disassembly of the actors. My question is how do you get that back in the game.

Same question on the texture animations. I've seen the page, and the code, but I don't understand how to use it, how to get it into the game.

I've missed something here, and I'm sorry for my ingorance, but could you please help the rest of us get started by showing us what to do with this. Not how to modify it, or how to program. Just how to get it into the game.

Please.

Edit:

*Consults Google*

ASMN6432.EXE? LemAsm??

Hmmmm, intresting....... Maybe if I tried harder you wouldn't have to spoon feed me. Is that the point?

2009 (though I could have sworn I saw you on IRC within the past year...) we could re assemble actors, it was only fairly recently that the actor disassembler came out - the tools are called nOVL for reassembling actors (working windows binary) and zovldis for disassembling actors. Understanding how I compile all this C to zelda 64 is ... well, I would point you to my makefiles, but they use so much abstraction it is obfuscated unless you know what's going on. I use gcc targeted towards MIPS. It is somewhat complicated to get windows binaries of mips-gcc, however, some prebuilt ones can be found here. While you're at it, I would reccomend getting this MinGW installer. It installs, among other useful things, make, which helps to compile these hacks.

Of course, if you use *nix, you probably have make and mips-gcc can be acquired and compiled by getting these scripts and running make.sh.

That all being said, I should make a patch of z64-tex-ext

As for actor de/recompiling examples:

http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Actors#Custom_Actors

All the secrets of the compiling and inserting process are in the Makefiles

Lishy: Did you try the face texture I sent you? Also, the texture you have for the wall (the black fades to blue) is quite nice, but try flipping it - blue on the bottom, black on the top, and then give your model a black ceiling. It will give the effect of disappearing into the darkness.

I did not use the face texture. Doesn't it function the same way as dirt roads in Hyrule Field? I'm having way too many problems with those road things to even bother. If not, well, I'm just not sure how to implement the face graphic. I really want to be vanilla however, and use only OoT textures.

That said, I'm planning to put the rail thingy (What's it called? Molding???) at the bottom of walls, similar to forest temple walls.

But that still is not enough. I do not know how to vary my dungeon texturing enough, and it keeps feeling like I'm missing details. Hence, could you recommend my any good textures to use? Or object ideas? Alternate floor ideas too? Most importantly: Ceiling texture for areas with the blue walls and 120 tiles?

No, the texture in Hyrule Field is a very specific case. Why are you limiting yourself to textures already used in OoT? It's not like it will save space in the ROM. You do know how to make a new material in sketchup, right? If not I'm sure you can find a tutorial on youtube.

Go through the temples in OoT and MM, see what tricks they employ to get the feel you are looking for.

I've went through a tour of shadow temple 3 times today, thanks :D

As for new materials, are you talking about inserting textures? Because as you can see I've been doing that till now. I just don't know how to make those transparent ones with alpha like the face image.

Anyways, I'm hoping by using the original textures, they will be compatible with the hi-res textures mod.

If you want to use hi-res textures, you'll need to re-rip the textures using the video plugin and add a new set to match to the hires pack, since the new areas will be loading textures from new offsets. As to alpha images, it doesn't matter how they appear in SketchUp, as long as the alpha texture is exported with the obj the importer will parse it with its alpha channel. Offset textures like that from the surface by about 2 to 5 units and there won't be any buffering issues.

If you want to use hi-res textures, you'll need to re-rip the textures using the video plugin and add a new set to match to the hires pack, since the new areas will be loading textures from new offsets.

Don't quote me on this, but I think Rice's loads them via a CRC of the texture data - so, this assumption being true and assuming they are bit identical would mean that "texture packs" would work with these textures.

As to alpha images, it doesn't matter how they appear in SketchUp, as long as the alpha texture is exported with the obj the importer will parse it with its alpha channel. Offset textures like that from the surface by about 2 to 5 units and there won't be any buffering issues.

Care to tutorial me, as this is the Q & A forum?

Is it the making of the texture itself that you need help with?

No. The alpha blending textures are black and white, I already know that much and I've used similar things in other projects (Although I've never made one with a limited palette before for OoT?)

My question is how to implement it, via sketchup?

Also, why does OoT have those alpha blending images of textures for textures which don't SEEM to need them? Know the red moldings on walls in Forest temple? What is the relevance of the alpha blending version in Forest Temple?

edit: Example:

Posted Image

Currently speaking, material blending isn't supported by importers so there's not any way to do it at present at all. However, overlaying the image a unit or two out from the surface of the texture you want to blend it over should work. Although at the time of writing this, indexed alpha textures don't seem to be using the right blendmode in SO. I don't recall if spinout implemented it at all, since I didn't really get as far as using them.

Just wondering, are there any methods/plugins to import an OBJ with its MTL? I understand that importing just the OBJ is possible, but I really don't want to have to go through the trouble of texturing the model again.

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found a solution: TIG's OBJ Importer.

EDIT2: Again, nevermind. I can't seem to import the model with its textures applied... perhaps it's how OZMAV2 dumps OBJs?

And again, nevermind... I've figured out a somewhat useful process to get OBJ dumps from OZMAV2 working with TIG's OBJ Importer for SketchUp. The imports are not flawless, though, there are quite a few texture errors but either program could be to blame. Anyways, after about an hour of research about the processes of TIG's importer and the format of OBJ and MTL files in general here's how I found a workaround:

Simply replace all instances of map_Ka in the MTL file produced by OZMAV2 with map_Kd. It turns out that TIG really likes parsing and creating OBJ and MTL files in a certain way, the usage of map_Kd being one of the commands (not really sure what to call it) he's most suited to.

They are the ambient and diffuse channels respectively. Most programs read the primary texture from the diffuse (Kd) rather than ambient (Ka).

Yes.

Many programs confuse between the two or accept both. The obj/mtl format isn't very strictly followed in many programs, all my importer/exporters up to libobj included. libobj, on the other hand, is very, very strict in it's obj parsing methods.

I'd actually really like to push the use of plain text .x files rather than .obj, since these have support for vertex colours and animations. Unfortunately, since a lot of people use SketchUp, that might be difficult. I believe Blender supports .x files, and I know that Max does.

• Like 1

Ok this is rather frustrating, "none" of the maps that export from Ozmav2 show up with textures in anything I've used in several programs, I even tried Ozmav r76 which is what JSA was using and absolutely nothing. I get the model(which shows up tiny) and still no textures. I've even tried using Tig's importer and nothing either. I even switched the map commands just incase, same thing.

Ok this is rather frustrating, "none" of the maps that export from Ozmav2 show up with textures in anything I've used in several programs, I even tried Ozmav r76 which is what JSA was using and absolutely nothing. I get the model(which shows up tiny) and still no textures. I've even tried using Tig's importer and nothing either. I even switched the map commands just incase, same thing.

Oh, the r76 maps didn't just import just like a snap:

1. My TIG's importer is modified.

2. I run the maps through a process I came up with.

I could show you the process, but I was told that the OZMAV2 dumps are superior, and that they work by default. So i figured why bother teaching an obsolete process. Is this not the case?

[/rant]

OZMAV2 doesn't work on any system I try it on. I gave it different ROMS, and 'installed' it in a slew of different sub directories.

Nothing. Yeah, it runs fine, but will not dump me anything.

So I gave up and moved on. If i ever get the basics of linux down, I'll compile for my spare lot top and get the dumps. Either that or wait for the bug to be fixed on the windows versions.

[/end rant]

Anyhow, let me know if you need the r76 process.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.