Map modelling tips and help

john_smith_account

Question

I'm bold enough to say that SharpOcarina makes the map look BETTER compared to the original- brighter textures or perhaps normals.

Also, can you tell me why I should use this OBJ Exporter instead of the one that comes with Google SketchUp Pro 8? Besides better exports does it do something else (specifically, grouping)?

I'm bold enough to say that SharpOcarina makes the map look BETTER compared to the original- brighter textures or perhaps normals.

Also, can you tell me why I should use this OBJ Exporter instead of the one that comes with Google SketchUp Pro 8? Besides better exports does it do something else (specifically, grouping)?

I dunno, I don't have Pro.

Hey guys. Assuming this thread can also be a place to get modeling help.. I need help!

For my Face Shrine dungeon mod, I really want to put in some face-like symbols on the walls and floors. However, I cannot seem to make it look good and my ideas suck. I'm kind of aiming for something on the disturbing side, while being really subtle.

Problem is.. Well, have a look:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any tips how to make better faces? And ideas?

Additionally, anyone have any useful textures? (Not just for the face things, but useful textures in general?

Hey guys. Assuming this thread can also be a place to get modeling help.. I need help!

For my Face Shrine dungeon mod, I really want to put in some face-like symbols on the walls and floors. However, I cannot seem to make it look good and my ideas suck. I'm kind of aiming for something on the disturbing side, while being really subtle.

Problem is.. Well, have a look:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any tips how to make better faces? And ideas?

Additionally, anyone have any useful textures? (Not just for the face things, but useful textures in general?

Try making organic surfaces through triangle manipulation.

If you're doing a paining I would recommend using a 32x32 (or two 64x32) PNGs with an alpha channel where the paint isn't and placing that on top of the marble "face", or putting the marble texture where the paint isn't to be. Additionally, if the paint is only to be one color (but perhaps different shades), then do the texture in greyscale and apply a color to it. This will use 1/3rd the space that a RGB texture would use.

Please tell me if I haven't been clear.

The problem is I am limited to OoT textures though, and I do not want to use any new ones. So unless you want to pass me any textures you think would look good on walls and floors, I am unfortunately limited to manually drawing the face's shape into the 3d model itself.

In case I did not understand you, please clarify? You are suggesting I look for a texture with an alpha channel (black?) and the "paint" inside it too?

I don't want to add any new resources to OoT. For my utterly first map port, I'm scared it'll complicate things before I've even port my own map. Ironically, I'm somehow working on an entire dungeon?

Anyways, can you show me a first hand example of the texture you're suggesting? Because I also kinda wanna use something dynamic, which could has a controllable scale and size.

Additionally, how would I make a dungeon map and that opening cutscene when you usually first enter a dungeon? :S

I honestly want to make my dungeon feel as professional as possible. Tips in regards to bosses would also be nice (I'm thinking of using bongo bongo but don't know how it works.)

Also, compared to the other face pic, does this look out of place or unnatural? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v626/pokeman/floor2face.png

*Removed: video promotes warez*

<obligatory "admin is not promoting pirating" comment>

Since Google hides the master serial keys away in one of their files, and gives you that file when you install the trial version of Pro, this is technically not pirating. Also, the keys are in the description of the video.

Apparently I activated the Pro one (Doesn't say EVAL at the top anymore, but Sketchup Pro), but Import still doesn't have importing of .obj. Did I do something wrong? Or does it naturally lack the most "universal" 3d model format? (WTF google! :D)

An importer plugin for .obj which imports textures at least, would be useful..

Edit:

Offtopic from my original post, but can anyone explain to me please how to make light like in 120 and the Temple of Time? And animated Lava like in fire temple?

And tips for creating a lava "waterfall"? Like Lava on a platform falling to a pool below?

can anyone explain to me please how to make light like in 120 and the Temple of Time? And animated Lava like in fire temple?

And tips for creating a lava "waterfall"? Like Lava on a platform falling to a pool below?

For the lighting... Well if you don't care about light shining through during the night, then you could just model the light, make it double sided, make the vertex color the color you want your light to be, and apply a texture with a gradient fade from white to transparent.

If you do, that's a bit more complicated. You would either need to make a new actor with the model of the light, and make it show up on only the day. (involves writing MIPS assembly)

Or you could have two versions of a room, one for the night, and the other for the day (uses up valuable ROM space)

For animated textures, you're dealing with hex editing, as I don't know if SharpOcarina has texture animation yet.

I was told, you could have animating textures by placing a DE command with the 0C bank in one of the display lists of a map. For it to work, you need to replace an area with already animating textures. (StrongBox for example) I haven't actually tried it, yet, but it's worth a shot. Just remember to recalculate the .zmap afterwards.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.