Zelda's Birthday 2 (Not dead as of 8/14/2014)

john_smith_account

UPDATE:  (09/12/2014)

============================================================================

I'll start a second topic for ZB2's staff.  For now I feel it necessary to highlight 2 members who have being doing there part, even while I was distracted.

JSA and MelonSpeedruns : Head of production

punk7890 : Head of music

I've actually not been puling my own weight on the project.  MelonSpeedrun and punk7890 have been turned in everything I requested from them, and asking when I'm going to catch up.  As such, I'm going to start spending more time on ZB2 myself, working toward getting the demo out as soon as I can while making sure the quality doesn't suffer.

Thanks for everyone who keeps supporting me, and this project.  I assured you it will get done, and I still assure you.  Your work will not be in vein.

Every word of encoragement has helped.  I'd like to close with my favorite one, the one that really picked up my spirits.

If it makes you feel better dude, your probably the only other guy whose still around who can pull of a mod lol, from what i've seen of your most recent mod your map making skills kick ass!

Mine map making skills...  not so much, but the people's helping me do.

Thanks

JSA

Now, back to the topic.

============================================================================

Hello all.  And so contiunes the drama of "the-zelda-mod-that-wouldn't-die"

ZB2 has has it's share of misfortune.  Personal problems have pleagued a few of the volunteers.  People come, and people go for personal reasons, and I failed to meet a self inposed deadline about 2 weeks ago.

However, I've had a big stroke of luck recently. 

If you go to youtube and search "Zelda's" you get the following results...

2pobdz6.jpg

Zelda's Birthday is now in the top 5 for Zelda's videos!

AttackingTuacans has a fairly popular Youtube channel.  And though his review isn't all positive(read: don't think he liked it), It is on it's way to 60k views since june.

However fame is fleeting on the internet.  The Zelda modding community is someone divided, so it's hard to choose a place to beg for talent to join a mod, and teach said talent how to make useable sumissions for a mod.  However, with help from SoD, and CloudMax I've seen where I've been going wrong in asking for help, and am starting new(yes again.) with simpler requests anyone can play by.

So this is the FINAL reinteration of the ZB2 project.  I will get a demo out soon to give youtube(and you) something to judge the project by.

So, if you're already working on something for ZB2, keep doing so.  But if you want to join, and don't know what to do PM me.

I'm also in need of a chat room to work out of.  Not a ZB2 only room, but something where zelda modding(and moders) will feel at home.

So let get to work at making Zelda's Birthday 2 the first of the new mods(built with our better tools, and more complete knowlege), and the first complete community mod to boot.

john_smith_account

Credits: This is a W.I.P. so don't be offended if you're doing something for the project but are not on here yet.

Music:

Punk7890

HeavyZ

Thanks for the positive feed back.  Here are a few random pics.

kbc5ea.jpg

dlopvl.jpg

311un0m.jpg

15ds6dy.jpg

24q61s9.jpg

Many many thanks to those contributing maps. MelonSpeedruns is the top contributor so far.  

Sairugoth, Jason777, z64offline, haddock, are just SOME of the others.  If I left you out, and you contributed something rest assured you will be credited in the demo.  No one will go uncredited.

I've already got a lot of maps, but I still need more.  I don't have enough temples.  Just PM me if you want in, I'm taking anything i can get.  Even if I don't use your maps(unlikely) you'll still get credits just for submitting one.

ZB2 will be finished, and it will kick ass.  How much ass it kicks is up to everyone who puts into the project.

Thanks for all the support.

john_smith_account

UPDATE:  Even *MORE* pics.

8387bc5ca663307bf246dd953bb9b4fb_zpsfa73

4b832c48a194f0ba508036e09088e9bf_zpsb09c

41dedde35d6e75922f16b4f8237737b2_zpsdba2

89c714327588b61f80c18f3c8122b30a_zps61e9

These are the work of z64offline, who's skill in map making is top notch as you can see.

Later, I will *re*-post some of the old pics from my maps.  My temple gets no preview since it's a hold back for the demo.

But no worries, the demo is coming fast than ever to try to keep critics quiet.

• Like 9

From the maps I've seen so far, the mountain pass is my favourite (probably stemming from love of natural landscapes). The only part I want to critique about this particular map is the rectangular shape the room has. I'd suggest giving a few of the corners a more natural shape to give it that cavern-like effect, as right angles would look more man-made (unless that is the look you're going for here), but that is just my personal opinion. The last map seems a little too spacious and open, so a smaller scale could do it more justice, but then again, I am unaware of the atmosphere this area has, so maybe my opinions are biased.

But regardless of that, overall these maps look great. I would love to help out with the project, but my plate is a bit too full at the moment with my personal life. When I have a bit more time on my hands—if the help is still required—my offer will still stand, and I'll try to help out where I can. Although I must say that I'm really keen on seeing this demo!

How big do dungeons have to be (i.e. number of rooms)? I have a mostly complete custom mini-dungeon (5 rooms total) that I'd be willing to submit.

Also, no one here is an expert at map making but I would tweak the scaling down for some of the maps and increase texture dimensions so that you don't have too much repetition on a single surface.

EDIT: Check your PMs, JSA.

From the maps I've seen so far, the mountain pass is my favourite (probably stemming from love of natural landscapes). The only part I want to critique about this particular map is the rectangular shape the room has. I'd suggest giving a few of the corners a more natural shape to give it that cavern-like effect, as right angles would look more man-made (unless that is the look you're going for here), but that is just my personal opinion. The last map seems a little too spacious and open, so a smaller scale could do it more justice, but then again, I am unaware of the atmosphere this area has, so maybe my opinions are biased.

But regardless of that, overall these maps look great. I would love to help out with the project, but my plate is a bit too full at the moment with my personal life. When I have a bit more time on my hands—if the help is still required—my offer will still stand, and I'll try to help out where I can. Although I must say that I'm really keen on seeing this demo!

I really hope you're not expecting too much.  As you may or may not know, ZB2 has 2 additional characters to play as.  The demo will feature a basic overworld for the new characters.  Then Link gets a single dungeon to try out.  No plot to speak of will be featured in demo 1, just 2 overworlds and a temple.

Also, thanks for all the positive feed back.  Here's all I have left of the pics of z64offline's levels.

9766e977b0141fb168ef2e3444172ec3_zps580f

65205b6dda3e68be70a32395a7c419d1_zps9133

388ff60984fc5822455e52edca95c2b9_zps4d33

The work on the demo is coming fast and furious.  Punk7890 only got back in touch today, but did 2 of the required 3 new over world themes already.

Also, I forgot to credit MrBojangles.  He's been remixing Jason777's light temple into something that better fits into the ZB2 plot.

I'm gonna try to set a scheduled for updates.  I'm also thinking about giving ZB2 it's own blog and youtube channel.

Lastly, I'm needing other types of talents.  Including more "official" art.

I also need voice work for the youtube video.  I've got an easy concept to record.  Just a handful of lines to make the video more emotional.  The videos will show footage of ZB2 not in the demo, and will give clues to the plot.  More details, after I see if there is interest.  I'll be needing help on the videos, since this is my first youtube productions.

So guys if you think you sound like Link, or Rauru, and girls if you think you can do a Gerudo voice, or the prized role of Zelda her self, let me know.

• Like 7

Yo guys, here is the first song that I'll be showcasing for the mod:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8PWXTWctXKcVh4ZFlqbklja1E/edit?usp=sharing

A arrangement of A Link to the Past's Death Mountain theme! More to come at a later time.

Just wanted to drop by and say a few things.

First of all, THANK YOU for reminding me to finish my version of the same song. xD It's been incomplete for about a month and seeing this wonderful rendition made me want to complete it.

If you want to hear how it sounds, check it out here: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/o21dmvre7zz5gar/OoT+Death+Mountain.mp3 (Also, yes, I do custom work and collaborative work as well.)

Also, I am LOVING how this game is looking. :D Keep it up guys! I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like. If there is any way I can help, let me know. :)

Want to see exclusive footage of the upcoming Zelda's Birthday 2? There you go : http://www.twitch.tv/flanthis/c/5053627

So, it's just for showing that the project is not dead. JSA and me are working hard on it. It's a little more step for the demo. :)

PS: Don't forget to follow Flanthis. He's awesome and he need more followers. :)

• Like 1

Some more ZB2 music:

A original dungeon theme (name not reviled yet as could be a spoiler)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8PWXTWctXKa0pna1pPRVNKd3c/edit?usp=sharing

And a remix of the Light Overworld theme from LttP (will extend on this later if there is room for it)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz8PWXTWctXKN0pOSWRMazV1Yk0/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 2

Thanks MelonSpeedruns, for keeping the topic warm.

I've been trying to get my latest update for the topic ready, but I can't seem to meet up with the featured ZB2 member to do so.

In recent news though, the project add a new member.  A new map maker who for some reason doesn't want his or her name on the project(shy?).  I'll have some pics when they get their temple to me(hint: Get to it, you know who you are). 

Also, I've chatted very shortly with the multi-talented Sakura. Sakura is well know in zelda modding in her own right.  I'm finding out from her just how possible or impossible all the dreamed up items for ZB2 will be to convert to reality.  So far though everything is looking good there too.

In the mean time just know that the demo is in the works and is coming along.  As I said before, don't expect stuff like cutscenes or even very much game play.  Think of the first demo as a mini cupcake, and the finished game a full 3 layer bakery cake.  The ones they put in the front window to attract customers.  Trust me when I say ZB2 will be just as sweet and filling when complete.

Thank you everyone for being patient.  Expect that patience to get reward soon with the first demo.

• Like 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.