OoT 3D (3DS) - Model Format discussion

SanguinettiMods

And here I was told on the 10th (by means of someone else), quote: "do whatever you like, although posting it publically probably wouldn't be a good idea"... Well, I guess that only means the actual files... or it now does, anyway.

Good luck with the textures, btw, I'm having a hard time trying to convert in the first place, figure out how textures and materials relate to each other, etc., etc. Got the texture coords out correctly, at least, which work alright with dummy textures...

EwaAAV4.pngkiEhEVi.png

Also fixed the thread title.

• Like 2

I don't actually have the ROM itself, just all the files from its filesystem (some 450+ MB, same files Flotonic and cen have for all I know). In fact, I couldn't even do anything with the ROM due to its encryption and not being able to decrypt it - don't have any keys, nor do I even know how the encryption even works.

Post edited by Shadow Fire.

That aside:

Watch the 3DS hacking scene. I'm pretty sure something is about to happen w/r/t encryption. At the VERY least, once they realize someone's got decrypted OoT 3DS files SOMEWHERE, they're going to kick into a frenzy.

Edited by Shadow Fire
Breach of ToS
  • Like 1

I don't blame you.

I saw your original post, and it wasn't even bad at all.

Uh the original post was against our ToS, it was dragging drama from Jul to here.

TOS: Intersite Relationships - Please keep any animosity you have for another site, or user of another site to yourself. Under no circumstances, should anyone to attempt to incite drama or another site that could have negative repercussions on TheGCN.

Shadowfire and the admins saw it and agreed that it should be removed to keep the peace.

I just saw it as someone venting their frustration in a place they thought they could.

But that's just me.

There places for such thing such as IMs or even personal blog sites, however venting your frustration and posting links was causing more problems then just simple venting. Feel free to contact Shadowfire as he was the one who edited and removed the post and links if you have an issue. I do believe however the topic should shift back to what the thread is actually about.

Drama aside, some progress for those unaware:

EJLEaMzl.jpg

(click for higher resolution, 1920x994)

Texturing in general is still hit and miss: decoding of two particular formats isn't working 100%, material-to-texture relationships aren't fully understood (so the wrong textures get applied to a lot of geometry, ex. Kakariko looks awful), etc.

That's not even mentioning all the other unknowns in the model format that aren't texture-related... but I guess I'll still post a build of the viewer in a few days, so that those who have the files can play around with it.

• Like 5

Hey, guys! So, the TCRF page on OoT3D is up and running with some findings so far. Hacking notes and file listings for the game can be found in the notes page linked at the bottom of the article's info box at the top right of the page.

There's still lots to be done, so anyone interested can observe the proceedings or participate at #zelda at irc.badnik.net. (TCRF's main channel is #tcrf on the same server.) Findings can also be discussed on the article's discussion page. :)

Hope to see you there!

Wow. So OoT3D confirms some things about Zelda 64's development some 16 years later! The Wind and Ice Temples are confirmed with more than just a part in Ganon's Castle and a Medallion name, and that URA Zelda was Really the Master Quest, otherwise there would have been no reason to append DD to those files. Great findings! I can't wait to see what else the team locates. Thanks for bringing this to our attention GlitterBerri! 

As usual, there is no end to what german engineering can do.

Off topic:

It's good to see our favorite lucky albatross is still with us.  You going to help out on the project codenamed ZB2....

Please GB?

I'm an albatross? What do you mean?  o_O And how do you propose I contribute to your project?

Wow. So OoT3D confirms some things about Zelda 64's development some 16 years later! The Wind and Ice Temples are confirmed with more than just a part in Ganon's Castle and a Medallion name, and that URA Zelda was Really the Master Quest, otherwise there would have been no reason to append DD to those files. Great findings! I can't wait to see what else the team locates. Thanks for bringing this to our attention GlitterBerri! 

Yeah, isn't it interesting? I never guessed that we would get more insight about the original game by examining the remake! But, when you think about it, the 3D development team must have had access to the development files for OoT, and the simpler file structure makes them easier to examine. Pretty cool! One other minor thing I appreciated having official confirmation for was the name of Fado, whose name is found in her filenames.

Hopefully, if they ever release a Majora's Mask remake, we'll be able to dig through the files and gain a further understanding of the game in a similar manner!

I'm an albatross? What do you mean?  o_O And how do you propose I contribute to your project?

Sorry, I didn't mean to derail the topic with an obscure sea bird refernce:

As per wikipedia...

...In the poem, an albatross starts to follow a ship — being followed by an albatross was generally considered an omen of good luck....

Also, this:

*WARNING* Link's Awakening spoiler ...

I used an Albatross as a double refernce, both to a good luck omen, and Marin from Link's Awakening. In the 'hard' ending of Link's Awakening, Marin turns into a sea bird and flies away...

marin_zelda_credits.jpg

TOO SAD! Lets remeber the good times...

tumblr_l9jml3gUIC1qdv41do1_400.jpg

YAY! SUPER CUTE!!!

Now, I bet you're sorry you asked.

Now, as far as how you can help, that's up to you.  I've got people of many talents working on every part of the project.  If you're serious on want to to help, and you have enough time, let me know your talents and we'll fit you in somewhere.

Benifits to joining include getting beta patches, and being kept up-to-date with the up coming news letter.  But, it's up to you.  

Good to see you around, good luck on your own projects.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.