OoT 3D (3DS) - Model Format discussion

SanguinettiMods

I still believe that MQ is either 1) not Ura Zelda at all, and they're just saying as much to shut up nosy fans, or 2) it's all they managed to finish of Ura.

For example, "There were several ideas that I could not incorporate [in the current game] because of the time shortage and other reasons. In the future, I want some new areas and new dungeons to be available for players who have already finished Ocarina of Time, where they will find new challenges." (source) doesn't sound like "reshuffle the dungeons a bit and make them harder" to me, and that they had more planned for it. See also ideas like, ex. "The title might support the GB Camera to create masks for Link. Miyamoto hinted of this possibility in a 64 Dream interview. If this does turn out to be true, gamers will be able to create their own masks in Talent Studio and implement them into Ura-Zelda." (source).

And then there's this article, which states that Ura was completed and that it "offers new items, levels and characters for those who already own Ocarina of Time", although the latter might partially be conjecture on IGN's part, exaggerating things Miyamoto said before, like the above. It's not like the 64DD was completely dead and buried by that point (August 2000) either, the last game came out shortly after that article was published, the Randnet service continued until February 2001.

Also, Ura supposedly "has been completed for some time now" - say it was finished by April that year, the month the F-Zero X Expansion Kit was released, they probably could've launched by May/June. I don't see any reason not to release an anticipated title like this, even on a doomed platform, unless it was not actually finished. Then I could see MQ being Ura, in that rearranging the existing dungeons is all they ever finished from the things they had planned or toyed with, and that not being good enough for a finished, stand-alone product (see ex. the Miyamoto quote in the article JSA linked to, regarding alternate versions of dungeons not being progressive).

But whatever the case, I don't think we'll ever get undeniable proof one way or the other, unless an actual 64DD Ura disk leaks out, and has or does not have more content than MQ does.

...also, why is this in the OoT3D model format thread?

(And either I can't, or IP.Board can't, split threads, otherwise I'd split the Ura stuff...)

• Like 1

Don't get me started on cooliscool... *facepalms* he was pretty paranoid.

I dunno, thinking back to ZSO/ZC, I probably wouldn't call him paranoid - hell, if I remember correctly, he streamed himself working on UoT a few times or so, using some remote desktop software...

Anyway, as for this kind of stuff having taken long with the original OoT: Remember that this is an actual model format similar to what you'd see in most PC, GCN or DS games, for example, while OoT N64 had our "much-loved" display lists and their raw commands. For the N64, we basically have to emulate the N64's hardware to an extend, while with OoT3D, we can feed certain data to OpenGL literally unchanged, as long as you set it up right. Hadn't it been for this kind of similarity - ex. had we had raw PICA200 commands to deal with -, this too would have taken a lot longer than it actually did.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Might as well post it here, too, seeing how it can be found pretty easily via #zelda anyway: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/3ds/N3DSCmbViewer_test9.rar - most recent build of the OoT3D viewer... and now Collada DAE exporter, with special thanks to Peardian on Jul/TCRF for basically walking me through the format. Source code coming soon-ish.

Texture conversion is still problematic, lighting is as well, skeletons and animations aren't really understood yet, etc., etc. But it basically works and can basically export (static) models.

uHX4yjC.jpg

I dunno, thinking back to ZSO/ZC, I probably wouldn't call him paranoid - hell, if I remember correctly, he streamed himself working on UoT a few times or so, using some remote desktop software...

Oh yeah? Then why did he tell me and everyone else to delete their copy of UoT and removed the download link? He was trying to destroy it near the end of ZSO... He also deleted all his source code, which is why UoT changed later on because he wasn't building off the source code, and never released it. That or a virus destroyed it. I also had to get my copy from the only member who kept his, so yeah, it almost went extinct. The old UoT is what I'm talking about, not the newer ones.

Also, gj on the textures and rendering.

Oh yeah? Then why did he tell me and everyone else to delete their copy of UoT and removed the download link? He was trying to destroy it near the end of ZSO... He also deleted all his source code, which is why UoT changed later on because he wasn't building off the source code, and never released it. That or a virus destroyed it. I also had to get my copy from the only member who kept his, so yeah, it almost went extinct. The old UoT is what I'm talking about, not the newer ones.

Also, gj on the textures and rendering.

I had UoT back then as well, but I was never told to delete anything, and it's not like I was unreachable back then either. And while I don't have the sources for them, I do still have a bunch of old UoT and pre-UoT builds, too, from back when they were new... like ZAV and ZAVAP? Still have some ancient versions of those somewhere.

And thx~

I think the topic title is a bit misleading. People that don't bother looking at the other pages may assume, particularly due to the Utility of Time talk, that this topic is just the nth topic pertaining to custom models for the N64 version of OoT. I'm here to make clear to anybody using the getnewpost function that this is in fact about the 3DS version of OoT, and since the viewer has been released now and a cryptic #zelda IRC channel mention is being thrown around, the server is irc.badnik.net for those wanting to chat with us.

• Like 1

I have a small piece of information that brings us a step closer to animation support! In the debug log for link.cmb (zelda_link_boy_ultra.zar):

-- PrmsChunk --
Unknown (1): 0x1, Unknown (2): 0x0
Index count: 0x1, Index offset: 0x18
Prm chunk offset: 0x1C

Index #0: 0x5

And babydodongo.cmb (zelda_dodojr.zar):

-- PrmsChunk --
Unknown (1): 0x1, Unknown (2): 0x2
Index count: 0x4, Index offset: 0x18
Prm chunk offset: 0x20

Index #0: 0x3
Index #1: 0x2
Index #2: 0x1
Index #3: 0x4

[insert another example here.]

These "Index" values are actually bone ID's! I don't know how to determine how the bones are assigned when the "Index count" is greater than 1, but when it's equal to 1, you can apply the designated bone's transformations to the primitives drawn.

This should make the "ultra" models and the models in zelda_spo04_objects.zar recognizable instead of bunched together.

I'd like a screenshot of that if it works.  :P
  • Like 2

I expected it to break the others...but now we know where bones get assigned, just not how to handle multiple options for them in the same prms chunk... It can only improve over time, right? I'll keep looking into it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.