Planning on Custom Skin Commission

Shadow Fire

To commemorate the upcoming fifth anniversary of The GCN (I can't believe it's been that long already, lol!), I am planning on getting a custom skin made that will be unique to this community. This will give us a more unique persona, as the skins we have installed currently are also in use at other communities. There are of course, a couple of catches:

• Funding: The cost of having a skin made is approximately US$400. Yes... US$400. I understand that it's a lot of money, but considering the time and effort that will be put into the skin, it will kinda be worth it at the end.
  • Style: For those of you, if any, who like the light-based themes we have installed, I should probably inform you that the skin will most likely be styled using darker colours, to fit the scheme.
  • Time-frame: From the time the deposit is made, it can take a minimum of 1-2 weeks for the skin to be created, and depending on how long it takes to accrue the funds necessary, it may take quite a while longer.

Now, I will be accepting suggestions based on what you'd like to see in the upcoming skin, and of course, the donations bar on the side of the forum home page will be updated to reflect the goal completion. So, each donation made will allow the custom order to be made at an earlier time.

Now, here is a little bit more information, taken from IBSkin, the company who made the skins currently installed here, and whom I will be submitting the custom skin order to once I am able to afford it. :P

IBSkin-Custom.png

A couple things to be aware of:

• The GCN logo (as it is currently, unless someone creates a new version that makes me want to have sex with it...) will be featured prominently.
  • The skin will likely be commissioned for IPB 4.0, which will likely be released sometime in the not-too-distant future, considering the progress being made with it.
  • I will not be utilising all of the applications, especially ibProArcade, as it's a broken mess, and is not actively supported.

This will likely count as a community project of sorts, as suggestions will be taken, and possibly utilised in the creation of this skin. Once Sherri begins working on the skin, I will definitely keep the community up-to-date with how it is progressing, as well as to receive any feedback as to the direction the project is moving, within the 3 free alterations of course.

So yeah... if you wish to provide any suggestions for the design of this skin, please do so in this topic. All suggestions (within reason) will be considered, although if you donate, it will be more than likely that your suggestion will be approved.

• Like 1

Why not a blue/purple scheme... this dark blue theme makes me sleepy after a while.

I was postulating that idea myself actually. I'd like to know how you'd like to see it implemented.  

gofundmyniggas.yes

edit:

screw paying 400 for a skin. ill make a damn skin. buy some shit for yourself bro

Considering what I'd be getting, $400 is actually quite a bargain. Sherri is a veteran at skin styling so I know she'd do us proud. Plus, I kinda want this place to have its own, sleek look... a unique identity.
  • Like 1

A blue-to-purple gradient would work tbh, I think the purple would waken people's minds and moods up. I guess a full purple color with a grey-blue tint would do too... something with some color in it. I find The Twilight Network is the lightest theme, but it makes me sleepy sometimes.

What I don't get is why don't we just get a cheery skin like we already have, in my opinion it makes the GCN feel more friendly I don't think we should have a dark gloomy skin but that's only my opinion.

There is a dark theme, just click "Change Theme" at the bottom of the page.

Okay, so I got excited and paid the deposit and for the rest of the skin, to which Sherri started working on very quickly. I have just received an email from her.

I have just completed the first mock-up of your custom skin. I have attached 2 variations of the same design to this email for you to download and review. Please reply with any suggestions, changes, edits, feedback, etc. (if any) and we'll go from there.

In your custom skin request form, you mentioned you wanted to use purple in the skin. I haven't used any purple in these 2 mock-ups because it didn't seem to flow right with the colors, but I can certainly change that and add in purple on either mock-up if you prefer. Just let me know.

Now for the beauties. Here is the first mock-up, with two variations:

Variant 1:

MockUp-1.png

Variant 2:

MockUp-2.png

Which one flows well with you guys? Give me an answer within 30-45 minutes, so I can respond to Sherri. :3

Okay... time up.

I've noticed that there is a bit of division. Some prefer the lighter colour, others prefer the darker version... and then Zeth messaged me on Skype with his preference. Option 3... the background from Option 1, with the rest of option 2. I must say, it looks like it could fit, so I'll pass that along to Sherri. Variant 1 was more popular with people who told me their preference over Skype, so yeah... I will return with more information when there's more the post about.

• Like 1

Okay, so I emailed Sherri back with the idea, and she embraced it and provided me with this:

MockUp-3.png

It beautifully merged the two together, and even she is more satisfied with it. I gave AikoRikiDaichi a first-hand look at this mock-up, and he felt that everyone would likely want to use that skin. With that said, and based on earlier comments on the other two mock-ups, I gave Sherri the go-ahead, and she will now begin making the skin. So, we are now on the way to having an awesome new design. :3

• Like 5

Okay, so I emailed Sherri back with the idea, and she embraced it and provided me with this:

attachicon.gifMockUp-3.png

It beautifully merged the two together, and even she is more satisfied with it. I gave AikoRikiDaichi a first-hand look at this mock-up, and he felt that everyone would likely want to use that skin. With that said, and based on earlier comments on the other two mock-ups, I gave Sherri the go-ahead, and she will now begin making the skin. So, we are now on the way to having an awesome new design. :3

Mmm... smexy!

Just a small nitpick tho, I suggest to decrease the lower drop shadow a bit, just like in the first mockup. It would look better IMO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.