What do you use to play?

Oowoon

I use a regular old, generic gamepad with a 360 controller emulator. I one day hope to get a bluetooth dongle for use with my PS3 controller, and am also planning on creating a DIY phone mount for my PS3 controller, so can I play emulators with good controls on my phone.

This was a distress beacon from a probe on Talon IV.

I was using this until a month ago:

Posted Image

However the thing died on me. :) So I'm looking at getting a new one... right now I'm not playing any games on the PC that really require a controller, thankfully. The only one that does would be Skyward Sword, and I'm using the Wii Remote for that anyway. I'm thinking possibly getting the Razer Onza. Thoughts/suggestions?

On the PC it's keyboards, mice, a wired Xbox 360 controller. Come to think of it, mostly the first two, actually. On consoles... well, each console's specific original controller, excluding the PS2 as I've sadly never had an official Dual Shock 2. Using some pretty good third party controllers on that one, forgot what brand etc., tho.

• 5 months later...

Keyboard and mouse for most games. On the PC I usually only play first person shooters or MMORPGs, but when I don't I use this:

Posted Image

It's a PS3 controller shaped like an Xbox controller, I like getting the best of both worlds when I buy things. The only complaint I have is that the grip is strange and the sticks bounce back to the middle way to easy.

The main reason I got this was because the buttons glow...I'm a sucker for shit like that.

• 11 months later...
Posted Image
(not my pic BTW)
Just got one of these bad boys recently after a fair bit of scrimping and saving, and... :wub:  I am in love. It's probably one of the best controllers I've ever used; the D-Pad would be an issue for me, but good thing I don't play any D-Pad-madatory games on N64. I actually love it so much that I use it on my Wii whenever possible for Virtual Console/homebrew emulation and SSB Brawl via an adapter. (For those not in the know, this is the Hori Mini-Pad for the N64)

Anywhoos, on to my other favorite controllers:
-The Gamecube controller, particularly Nintendo's own and my MadCatz Microcon (the latter being my main Melee controller)
-The Nintendo Classic Controller: preferably the original no-handle version, believe it or not (my second choice for Brawl), but I do also like the Pro version a fair bit.
-Sega Genesis 6-Button controller: a classic, comfy design and a nigh must-have for most Genesis fighting games (i.e. the good ones). Pretty much the only reason I'd take the Genesis Street Fighter II ports over the SNES ones.
-SNES controller: bashing for fighting games aside, the SNES pad is still a delight to use to this day; it's fairly simple, to the point, and probably still the most prominent blueprint for modern controllers, even a little moreso than the N64's controller (analog input aside, natch)
-NeoGeo Pocket (Color): I dunno if this really counts as a "controller" (seeing as how it's pretty much the only control option available on these portables), but holy JEEBUS is the control-stick wonderful; it makes the multitude of fighting games on it such a blast to play. Has one less button than Ninty's own Gameboy/GBC, but it's not like you'd miss it with the NGP/C's catalog.
-Logitech F310 USB Controller: yes, one of many PS2-style PC controllers. However, I'd peg it as one of the best of its kind, as it's solidly built and controls well, alongside a decent price. My only gripe is that is has a "cap" style of D-Pad, but it's not loose or shakey, so no major damage done.
-Logitech G5: Again, not a real "controller", but it IS a gaming mouse. Anyway, my dad's old TF2 mouse now serves me well for my PC gaming, and I SUPER dig the changeable weighting.
-Megaman Anniversary Collection GCN Controller (jerry-rigged): My brother and I modded a spare GCN controller to work properly for the GCN port of Megaman Anniversary Collection (where B was made the jump button, and A the shoot button): I don't remember the exact fix, since it was a) done a while ago, b.) it was mostly done by my brother, and c) it's sealed with hot glue, but basically it fixes Capcom's mistake. This is mostly sentimental for me, granted, but I felt it worthy of mention.

So, GCN, what're your favorite controllers? I already have third-party stuff here, so don't feel that you're restricted to OEM choices.

HORI pad is like...<3

Also, love the Cube's controller, it feels like you're holding something that MOULDS to your hand.

I quite like the 360's controller, and I like what MS has done with the One's controller.

Also like the Wii and WiiU controllers.

Uhm, I guess...

• GameCube controller; face button placement might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm fine with it for most games
  • Probably tie between Xbox 360 and PS1/2 Dual Shock controllers; the pinnacles of evolution of the SNES controller I'd say
  • Saturn 3D controller; big but nice to hold. Its descendant, the Dreamcast controller, is alright too

Also fond of the PAL SNES and Super Famicom (never used one, but I don't like the purple color scheme on the US controller), and standard N64 controllers (if only that analog stick didn't wear out as quickly as it does...). The Game Boy micro is... unexpectedly playable, too, as in you wouldn't believe it from how tiny the system is and such.

I like the Gamecube controller, because it's the most comfortable design EVER.

Wii was good - especially with motion plus, it was precise and amazing. WiiU is surprisingly comfortable too.

And then the Wireless Logitech Pro for PC. Because it's almost as comfortable as a Gamecube controller, and it can run with flash games as well.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.