Your Legend of Zelda

Spire

If you were to design a Legend of Zelda game, what setting would your story take place in? Would it be Hyrule? If so, how would your Hyrule differ from every incarnation so far? Would it be another existing world, maybe Termina, Holodrum, Labrynna, Koholint Island, The Sky, the Ocean King's Realm, the Dark World? Or would you create a new world?

As far as environments go, what is your ideal setting for Link to venture in? If you close your eyes and imagine Link running, where is it he's running, and towards what does he run? What is the symbolic crux of your Legend of Zelda?

I would really like to revisit Koholint Island, although - if this was supposed to be coherent with the canon - that might be difficult to do, considering how it was just an illusion or a dream. Then again, there's cliché plot devices that would allow for this, like... Ganondorf or some other big bad casting a "nightmare spell" on Link, which could bring back a warped version of Koholint in Link's mind.

This slightly distorted Koholint would be very similar to the one featured in LA, familiar landmarks would reappear - say, the Wind Fish's egg, the Catfish's Maw in the bay (the actual maw, not necessarily the dungeon), etc. - but it would be an all around more dangerous place. For example, LA had the two villages that were more or less safe havens, but here they could be already overrun by nightmares - maybe their inhabitants might've been turned into nightmare monsters themselves? -, and Link first has to defeat a boss in the area to restore them.

Hm, I dunno, that's just what came to mind. It's far from a complete description, but that's about the basic idea.

Well Hyrule Historia says that the Hero's Shade from Twilight Princess is Ocarina of Time Link, but he has never before seen armor, and a new sword. Only one eye is glowing suggesting that he lost it during a battle, or something of the sort. He laments on the fact that he was not remembered as a hero in the Child Era. Maybe he died fighting in that armor of his?  I would like to come up with my own story to fill in the gaps of this part of the series that hasn't been covered yet. There would be endless possibilities with it, and I would create a new world for him to adventure through. With the most fearsome enemy's the series has ever seen... after all if one, or more killed OoT Link, they have to be pretty hardcore.

@ Heavy — The Hero of Time may just as well have died in Hyrule. When playing through Twilight Princess, I noticed a peculiarity in the Hyrule Castle Graveyard. Here's the copied theory from Zelda Wiki (which I would like to add: I initially wrote on the page; it has since evolved to contain the Demise element as well as other information).

One particular grave in the Hyrule Castle Graveyard lies under a tree. If Link inspects one of the larger tombstones nearby, it reads, "The cursed swordsman... sleeps before... the sacred tree." The "cursed swordsman" may very well be the Hero of Time due to the fact that he sleeps under a "sacred" tree (reminiscent of the Great Deku Tree). If this is the case, then the statement on the tombstone may slightly allude to the demise of The Hero of Time - that which was not a good one. The term "cursed" may refer to Demise's curse on Link that repeatedly reincarnates him again and again to rise up against the evil that threatens Hyrule. It may also refer to Link's curse of transforming into a wolf. This may further reveal the identity of the Hero's Spirit, who is assumed to be Link, the Hero of Time. It should be noted that this particular grave is covered with a stone that Link must destroy in order to step on a switch to open the gate that contains two owl statues so that he can further his quest in this area. If such a grave is tied to such an important aspect (the owl statues - which may or may not be reminiscent of Kaepora Gaebora) then this would further fortify the connection to Link from Ocarina of Time. It could also allude to the Stalfos nearby.

This kindof reminds me of the old "make your own Zelda Game" competition we used to have on Smash Boards, which was super fun (aside from the fact that I was the only one who ever did it...).

Lets see... If I was to make a Zelda game, It'd probably not be in Hyrule. I mean, sure, Hyrule's important, but it's VERY tried. Basically, you know exactly what is in Hyrule and how it's laid out without even looking: Lost woods, Death Mountain, Gerudo Desert, kakariko Village, Castle, lake, and sometimes a Ranch (depends on the time). Termina was pretty awesome, but it basically had the same areas and ideas. I'd like to have liberty for new races, new magics, new and interesting areas to explore with new monsters. And the weirdest thing about it is... LINK HAS AMNESIA. AND DOESN'T KNOW HOW HE GOT THERE OR WHY. So he has to run around, discover the entire world, talk to everyone and hunt for clues.

Wow, the Hero of Time cannot just get a break! One timeline he is killed, another he is likely hit with a "curse" that may have ended up killing him, and in one he ceases to be. 

In any case if I were to have a Zelda game I would want to explore the Era of Chaos which was when Hyrule was in a state of immense war with each person trying to claim the Triforce, While first spoken of in Twilight Princess the Era of Chaos is expanded on in the Hyrule Historia with it making clear that Rauru was the victor of the conflict by taking the Triforce and sealing it in his newly built Temple of Time with a nearly foolproof idea to prevent the seal from being broken. He sealed the Door of Time with three Spiritual Stones and gave each one to the leader of the races. One was given to the hidden forest people, the other to the bold Gorons and the third to the Zora. He gave the Ocarina of Time then to the Hyrule Royal Family,

sealed himself and the Triforce within the Temple of Time and put one last seal that would guarantee that only a righteous heart could proceed further and that was the Master Sword seal, making it the gateway between the Sacred Realm and Hyrule, he then proceeded to the Temple of Light with the other sages (presumably0 and watched over the world as an owl.

In this way the seal could only be broken when the world was in absolute unity that each race was willing to give up their Spiritual Stone or that the world was in a state of utter collapse where a warlike Hylian nation (the only ones to know the Song of Time) would seize the other stones from the respective races to force open the Door of Time. But then they would fail to break through because of the Master Sword seal.

It is unclear whether the Interloper War took place before or after this, but if it took place before this that means the Triforce had already been moved to the Sacred Realm, but the gateway was likely still wide open for anyone to access. If it took place after that the Dark Interloper's must have found another way into the Sacred Realm (ALttP would attest to there being more than a few) It's possible the two are also the same event.

I would love to see a game centered around the premise that Rauru is the hero as he struggles to prevent the darkened hearts of the people of the world from seizing the Triforce and about halfway through the Dark Interloper plot line can begin with Rauru taking a part.

There is a lot of story to be shown here and since they bothered to include Rauru as the victor of the conflict it means that his role is a lot more important than OoT alone would have us believe.

• Like 1

One particular grave in the Hyrule Castle Graveyard lies under a tree. If Link inspects one of the larger tombstones nearby, it reads, "The cursed swordsman... sleeps before... the sacred tree." The "cursed swordsman" may very well be the Hero of Time due to the fact that he sleeps under a "sacred" tree (reminiscent of the Great Deku Tree). If this is the case, then the statement on the tombstone may slightly allude to the demise of The Hero of Time - that which was not a good one. The term "cursed" may refer to Demise's curse on Link that repeatedly reincarnates him again and again to rise up against the evil that threatens Hyrule. It may also refer to Link's curse of transforming into a wolf. This may further reveal the identity of the Hero's Spirit, who is assumed to be Link, the Hero of Time. It should be noted that this particular grave is covered with a stone that Link must destroy in order to step on a switch to open the gate that contains two owl statues so that he can further his quest in this area. If such a grave is tied to such an important aspect (the owl statues - which may or may not be reminiscent of Kaepora Gaebora) then this would further fortify the connection to Link from Ocarina of Time. It could also allude to the Stalfos nearby.

That's pretty interesting, it's been so long since I've played Twilight Princess.

I would love to see a game centered around the premise that Rauru is the hero as he struggles to prevent the darkened hearts of the people of the world from seizing the Triforce and about halfway through the Dark Interloper plot line can begin with Rauru taking a part.

There is a lot of story to be shown here and since they bothered to include Rauru as the victor of the conflict it means that his role is a lot more important than OoT alone would have us believe.

I'd like to see that. I could see Rauru being more of a magic user than a swordsman in his younger days. Maybe he used something other than a sword, along with magic?

I'm probably the oddball out, but I'd like to see a futuristic Zelda going on. I've always been interested in science fiction, and I think the story would be interesting in a new setting. Get it out of medieval (which is my more favorite time, admittedly) and perhaps get it into the late 1700s. They've already explored train travel, and I thought that was awesome. I'd like to see what they could do with more freedom. I don't care if people say "it's not Zelda". To me, Zelda is about exploration, battles, and story. I think there's be some interesting potential.

• Like 3

I'd like to see a futuristic Zelda going on.

Posted Image

Beta Link to the Past concept art.

LoZ and LttP were were originally meant to be set in the future and the past, but you probably already know that. Anyway, I think it'd be interesting to have it in a setting similar to the fake 'Valley of the flood'.

I'm probably the oddball out, but I'd like to see a futuristic Zelda going on. I've always been interested in science fiction, and I think the story would be interesting in a new setting. Get it out of medieval (which is my more favorite time, admittedly) and perhaps get it into the late 1700s. They've already explored train travel, and I thought that was awesome. I'd like to see what they could do with more freedom. I don't care if people say "it's not Zelda". To me, Zelda is about exploration, battles, and story. I think there's be some interesting potential.

Yes. Instead of bow you get a blunderbuss, lol.

I don't think the bow would ever need to be replaced. It's adaptable. Look at Hawkeye (Avengers) for a modern-world excuse. Look at Serah Farron (FFXIII-2) for a futuristic excuse. The bow is basically Link's main secondary weapon. Sword, shield, bow, his three main tools.

I always liked the crossbow aspect of Link's Crossbow Training, I thought it was a very cool model they used, and to me, it really fit. Modernize it a bit (I mean, they have crossbows and such for hunting even these days), and you can use it in a future Zelda. I know they use regular longbows as well today, but I thought a crossbow would be more interesting for the user. To make it more challenging, you could have some sort of reload time as well.

• Like 1

Eh.. there's always the option of keeping it in the past with more futuristic temples here, or there. Maybe one, or two futuristic weapons. I think it would be funny.. but great to see Link using the Portal gun.. though I know that would never happen. Someone did a hack where the bow was a portal-ish style weaopon. I think Spinout? I'm not sure.

It's actually very interesting, and one of the things I love about the series, Skyward Sword implies that the denizens of the surface were of a greatly advanced technology who were deeply experimenting with the Timeshift Stones at least who took their world for granted and may have ended up mostly destroying themselves (as evidenced by the Lanayru Desert) even before Demise's attacks on the land began. It seems that of the remaining races only the Gorons kept some of the knowledge of the old world. Because the people lost their world-sapping technology the world eventually recovered. And here is where things get even more interesting to me...

It is curious to see the evolution of religion in the Zelda Timeline. It's clear in Skyward Sword that all people worshiped Hylia, no matter the race or creed everyone knew of Hylia's name. Din, Farore, and Nayru are referred to only as the "Old Gods" and are mentioned in passing by every character that mentions them. It is only after Skyward Sword and entering into the other eras that the name of Hylia is for the most part forgotten, only connected to the human people who possess long ears to "hear the message of the Gods" and a namesake of Lake Hylia. In Minish Cap there are no gods or goddesses mentioned (there are items, but no external mentions) and even the Triforce is missing and not referred to in the least, other than in royal insignia. With the Light Force being the main sought after object.

By the time the Era of the Hero of Time rolls around the people have begun to re-worship the Gods, Din, Farore, and Nayru. This may have to do with the people's increasing thoughts of the Triforce as a religious symbol and instead of worshiping their saviors in time past (Hylia) they chose to switch their worship to that of their creators and the symbol representing them, culminating in the Triforce Hunts of the Downfall Timeline.

Now this is where things continue to get more intriguing. In the Adult Timeline the worship of the Goddesses is replaced with a cult worship of the Hero of Time, the people become complacent and due to the Legend of the Hero of Time they believe that another will come and rescue them, the majority pay for their indolence with their lives as the Goddesses who had been greatly ignored by the people for centuries with no wish to ever bother with the land of Hyrule again send a flood to end the world. I believe Ganondorf is actually on the mark when he tells Link that their Gods destroyed them. Worship is all around forgotten on the Adult Timeline as the descendants of Tetra settle in New Hyrule and are immediately assisted by the Lokomo Tribe who mostly come to be treated with the respect that the Sages were given on other lines and in the distant past with the Triforce existing again only as the royal insignia.

In the Child Timeline, with no upset to the status quo, worship of the Goddesses continues on with the only references to Link as an "Ancient Hero" and the Hero's Shade. The greatest challenge to the people of this timeline was greatly unbeknownst to them as they lived in ignorance that they had been turned into spirits within the Twilight Realm and paid little notice of actually being freed from it. Because of this it is doubtful that the Hero of Twilight became renowned in any fashion outside of certain circles and possibly became venerated by the Twili. Of note in Twilight Princess, despite there being no large scale conflict or anything as such Hyrule is in a state of disrepair with ruins lying in any given direction, hinting that Hylian civilization could possibly be coming to an end merely by their own hands. (Granted this makes it difficult to judge because of Four Sword Adventures taking place as the final story of the current Child Timeline with Hyrule not Really being explored)

I find the concepts and the consequences of the Downfall Timeline as fascinating. The Hero fails, Link's existence is forgotten and Zelda is the people's savior by somehow managing to seal Ganondorf who had possession of the complete Triforce within the Sacred Realm. Thus the ultimate crisis is averted, but it would seem that at this point that the Triforce searchers reached a fever pitch, possibly knowing now that there were several ways into the Sacred Realm that they had called the "Golden Land" as it became common knowledge that the Triforce was housed within it people began to lust after its power once more and the Triforce Hunts began, claiming the bodies of all who managed to find their way to the Golden Land that despite the many ways in, there was no way out.

Hyrule Historia mentions that through time the Kingdom of Hyrule had lost more and more land and now only existed as a shadow of its former greatness.

Its in this light that the Imprisoning War occurs, it is an interesting event because it shows the enduring spirit and bravery of the Knights of Hyrule rather than the sniveling cowards of the Era of Twilight or the non-existent defenses within the Era of the Flood. Because there was no hero to claim the Master Sword the people did not despair and lose hope as they would in the other two lines because they had dealt with something of this magnitude before on their own strengths. 

It is of note that Ganon doesn't try another direct assault as he did in both other timelines because he failed in the Imprisoning War but instead used Agahnim (as either a possessed man or a manifestation of Ganon himself) to infiltrate and subtly take over the much diminished Kingdom of Hyrule. In this era religion is not so much directed at the Goddesses, though they are mentioned (I don't believe by name) but at the very Triforce itself, likely a remnant of the Triforce Hunts that still appeared to take place in the Era of Light and Darkness in a smaller fashion. (as evidenced by the Flute Boy's plight).

The eras pass on and the Kings of Hyrule are now in possession of the United Triforce and worship seems to cease to be entirely. Hyrule appears to be on the road to recovery but after a worried king splits the Triforce the land of Hyrule enters into another dark age. Link retrieves the Triforce of Courage and for the first time in many years the Triforce was United again, ending what we know of the Downfall Timeline.

In essence in all three lines end up with Hyrule in a state of ruin. Adult Timeline literally has Hyrule wash away. We are told by the Hyrule Historia and Adventure of Link that the Downfall Timeline's Hyrule is a shadow of its former glory.

The Child Timeline has Hyrule seemingly on its last legs with issues coming from within rather than without.

• Like 5

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.