Ocarina of Time: Dungeon Rush

mzxrules

I've been working on what should be a very short, but fun mod called Dungeon Rush. It's being developed for the V1.0 rom, with the hopes that I'll be able to create a playable wad for the Wii. 

The concept is pretty simple: I'm linking together all the dungeons within the game one after another, with minimal changes made to the dungeons themselves, creating what should be a very fast paced game.

All the major modifications to the dungeons are complete. Figured out how to patch the PJ64 rom database file in order for it to recognize the mod/apply the no pause screen lag code.

There are a few other things that are delaying release:

• [*]Doing some research to find some of the cutscenes that lack documentation, in order to trim boss fights. [*]Convert a few more dialogs into quick skips.  [*]
Implementing a custom title logo. Worked a little on writing a simple program that can parse PNGs, need to study the format more. Logo, mask done thanks to Image Magick and Gimp. [*]Write up a script to automatically find edited files, compress them, and place them back into a standard V1.0 rom. Done. [*]Easter eggs.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Why would a dungeon rush not have bosses...

Anywho, created the first compressed "build" of Dungeon Rush and gave it a full start to finish playthrough. Found a few minor things that need to be taken care of (really just removing dialog) so it'll be ready most likely this weekend.

• Like 4

Well because your hack seems more about puzzles considering it's a dungeon rush...  the enemies, and bosses are not that hard. Though you have yet to say how many hearts the player will start out at, or the player can even obtain more heart containers other than what the bosses give.

Just figured you wanted it to be about puzzles more than anything...

I'm sick of working on this thing... 

Which is a good because it means I'm done. Injected the rom into this wad here, dunno if it works, will release if I find out it does. Bit afraid to test since I lost bootmii due to my SD card achieving it's solid state and me cut-pasting instead of copy paste, and the site's down. 

Edit: just because

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted Image
Version 2

The concept is simple. It's a mod where every dungeon in the game has been strung together one after another, with minimal tweaks to make the dungeons flow faster / make things more interesting, while still being essentially v1.0.

Starting equipment consists of the Kokiri Sword, Deku Shield, Ocarina of Time, Bottled Fish, Din's Fire, Zelda's Lullaby and Song of Time. Except for Din's Fire, all other items are automatically equipped from the start.

Once you complete a major dungeon, you will be unable to return to it so make sure you have all the items you require to progress further. However, there is a bit of an exception to this. There are a few non-dungeon areas that can be accessed within the mod. Savewarping at one of these locations will either take you to the Temple of Time as a Child, or the Fire Temple as an adult.

One major feature to the mod is that aside from the Deku Tree's Navi pop-ups, all navi pop-ups or generic pop-up dialogs like the ones in Gerudo Training Grounds have been removed or no longer instantly pop up. Also, aside from the Navi Pop-ups in the Deku Tree, all dialog is quick text, and can be quick-skipped by mashing B.

Dungeon Rush is unique in that it's a v1.0 mod rather than the Debug Rom that is typically used. The reason for this is for the mod to be playable on the Wii.

I've written a custom program to allow you to patch the v1.0 Rom. I think it requires at minimum Windows XP to run. Simply click the create button to find v1.0, open it, and hopefully it instantly creates the mod.

To fix pause lag on Project 64 (tested with v1.6, but I think v1.7 is the same) you'll need to update Project64.rdb
On XP you can find it in the Project 64 folder, but on Windows Vista, Windows 7 you have to look for a hidden folder named "AppData" in the username directory. From there go into the folder named "local", then inside another called VirtualStore, to find Programs x86 -> Project 64 folders.

Add the following somewhere after // ---- END OF HEADER, START OF ROM ENTRIES --------------------------

[ECFBE337-AAE69FDF-C:45]
Good Name=Ocarina of Time: Dungeon Rush (v2)
Internal Name=THE LEGEND OF ZELDA
RDRAM Size=4
Counter Factor=Default
Save Type=First Save Type
CPU Type=Recompiler
Self-modifying code Method=Default
Reg Cache=Yes
Use TLB=No
Use Large Buffer=No
Linking=On
Status=Compatible
Core Note=
Plugin Note=
Delay SI=No
SP Hack=No
Clear Frame=0
Self Texture=1
Primary Frame Buffer=0
Resolution Width=-1
Resolution Height=-1
Culling=1
Emulate Clear=1
Cheat0=801DA5CB 0002 //Subscreen Delay Fix
Audio Signal=No

To fix the pause lag on Mupen 64 Plus. When launching the game, you must suffix --cheats 0 in the launch options.

in mupen64plus.ini:

[EA7D58494C47DD3A1EF614A5DC910A6A]
GoodName=Ocarina of Time: Dungeon Rush (v2)
CRC=ECFBE337 AAE69FDF
SaveType=Controller Pack
Status=1
Rumble=Yes
Players=4

in mupencheat.txt:

crc ECFBE337-AAE69FDF-C:45
gn Ocarina of Time: Dungeon Rush (v2)
cn Subscreen Delay Fix
cd Fixes the Subscreen delay when pausing
801DA5CB 0002

• Like 2

This is as enjoyable as I had hoped it would be! I do have a few minor gripes though...

A small amount of the Child Dungeon rooms are inaccessible, this is very noticeable in the Deku Tree with the Bombable Wall that you can't get around to that would have a Skulltula in the room behind it. Secondly is the Scarecrow path in Dodongo's Cavern that obviously Child Link cannot get to. Third is the amount of Skulltulas that can't be obtained. I don't know if the Skulltula House shows up at all down the line, the Bottom of the Well is pretty good about this, but Dodongo's Cavern has several Skulltula's that can't be obtained without the Boomerang which isn't yet available. Fourth is the Bomb Flower-esque "puzzles" at the B1 of Bottom of the Well as it is a thorough possibility that the player may not have the Goron's Bracelet yet they will have to do a reset. 

Other than those everything is looking great! I just beat Jabu-Jabu and should be onto the Forest Temple shortly!

EDIT: Seeing Ganondorf laughing at nothing in an out of context white space is pretty humorous.

EDIT 2: The Forest Temple is quite different without the Hookshot, a smidgen more challenging in some sections but I can't say I never noticed that it wasn't necessary. In addition while fighting Phantom Ganon he did a lunging spear attack, that's something I never saw him do in all my years of playing OoT, so that was interesting.

EDIT 3: Haha! Nice use of the 99 Rupees the player has collected by the time of the Fire Temple. Good thinking there.

EDIT 4: I saw Bonoru the Scarecrow as clear as day in the Fire Temple, but I never found the Hookshot. Did I miss it in either the Forest or Fire Temple?

EDIT 5: Clearly not. Made it through the Ice Cavern.

Edited by Three_Pendants

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.