A Link to the Past Overworld

Strati

I think it's cool. It's way too big though, I wouldn't worry about the texture of the water, OoT's water may look more realistic, but who cares when you are making an N64 version of an Snes game. The trees around where you start off feel out of place. I would model new trees like the ones in ALTTP.Yeah grass textures need work, and the flow of the water was annoying when I tried to swim back to land.

• Like 1

Thanks for *cough* everyone's *cough* feedback.

The size was scaled down to 0,6 so it doesn't feel that empty. I hope you were playing with adult Link - using kid Link must had made the size discrepancy even worse.

That area will be reworked into 3 different maps. I'm thinking of changing that useless space into a NPC populated zone. Right now, my idea for there is "Goron's Camp".

About the trees - as I want to keep them as actors - if I could figure out how to change their collision together with the display list, it is in my plans to, at least, make them fatter than what they are right now.

Finally, water flow wasn't even supposed to work. It will be set it to the lowest strength next time.

• Like 1

A new sample:

Posted Image

I don't know yet how I'll deal with the door, so disregard that wood wall. I think  there is a way to use double doors...

Hey I don't know if this would be possible, but I think it would be cool if you could use double doors that were similar to those to enter and exit the Clock Tower in Majora's Mask, just with a retexture to make it fit with your Sanctuary.

Importing actors from MM might be a lot harder than it looks. What maybe could be done is to change the code to upscale the door size and associate a secondary texture scheme if a specific variable is chosen.

I can't assure you I could do all that, though - specially about including a secondary texturing.

Would be cool, nonetheless.

As other people have said here, I think some areas look a tad bit too big and empty. However, I still find that it's looking very nice! I hope to see more of this! 

Now I just gotta wait till someone remakes Zelda 1 in Ocarina of Time..

• 4 weeks later...

Keep it up man, are you aiming for hardware compatibility?

Not able to do much testing with my ED64 or anything given my current situation, but I am about to start work soon and I will have my own computer within a few weeks, or a month. I would be able to test then or anytime after.

Good luck with map modding, the display lists are not turning out to be hardware compatible... you may need to analyze this page to know what to fix later on:

http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/F3DEX2

Until model converting tools are fixed up to do the proper order for RDP calls, it can jack up hardware pretty royally... I'm getting HeavyZ to test the fix I made, and I believe my hunch on the error with handling RDPs is pretty accurate. The structure of the display lists are good, but need to be properly analyzed and tested.

xDaniel, I'm talking about you here.... hopefully he's working on a fix. You NEED to call G_RDPLOADSYNC before any RDP-related commands, the model converters mux it up. I verified with Antidote on my thoughts, and we both agree there's a real problem with how the model converters mix it up.

RDP is directly related to how the hardware handles input to the VIDEO display for graphics.

(Perhaps Antidote might put his two-cents on this one)

I'm rather sure it's not the sync commands because I do create a PipeSync at the beginning of the display list and PipeSyncs and LoadSyncs inside the texture loading commands - the latter being what the LoadTextureBlock in the SDK does, and both being what OoT does.

Sure, I'll do more comparisons between display lists generated by my tools and lists in the actual game, but to the best of my knowledge there's very little structural difference between them.

I actually tried loading one of my models onto my 64drive, and discovered a rather horrible draw order issue. The entire landscape was being drawn last, so I couldn't see Link at all, and some of the faces weren't in the right order. I suspect it has something to do with the whole thing being a single mesh. >_>;

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't really worked into it these last weeks. There are 3 places I'm stuck at:

1) Death/Hebra Mountain - I have a list of actors to position, just need to actually sit down and start doing it. One late decision was to reduce the number of cave openings, now I have 13 or 14, which is still a high count.

2) Red Area - I've resized this area a few times already. I need find the balance between keeping the proportion with the other maps and not making it too big and empty.

regions.jpg

3) Blue Area - Can't do anything good with this area. Maybe I'll just make an empty useless field like the original.

Jason, dungeons are part of my plans too. On the other hand, I'm not at all looking forward to work on small indoor maps like houses and caves, let alone modifying NPC events.

Can you feel the pressure? ;P

I confess I thought for a moment of dropping everything and creating an entirely new original overworld some time ago - only if I hadn't gone so far with this one.

Thanks for your incentive, it helped me get back to it and dish out a small map for the Blue Area above.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

In this last month or so, my HDD has been in a living-dead state. There were a few episodes where important sectors of it had been failing to respond, causing random reboots and BSODs.
Running chkdsk would fix the system, but a week or so later, when I was starting to feel safe again, the problem would come back to haunt me.
Last time it happened, the BIOS wouldn't even recognize it. I was sure all my data - including a good chunk of updates on this project which I hadn't made a backup yet - was gone for good and only managed to get it running again after resorting to the doubtful technique of putting the HDD in the freezer.

The project data now sleeps safe in a pen drive. I had to format the system, though, and won't be installing or running anything but the basic software until I get a stable machine setup.

tldr: This project is in a halt until further notice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.