Twilight Memories

Shadow Fire

The small one looked over, seeing there was another pathway that was being blocked by bars, as a little smirk appeared. She jumped off his back, and easily slipped through the bars like she had done back at Link's cell, before she turned around, and seemed to gesture for him to come over.

"This way! Over here! I'll be waiting for you, but you'll have to help yourself for a change!"

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wolf would have grumbled if he were able to. Quickly, he began looking for a way to the other side of the bars.

The smell of decay here... it's overpowering.

It didn't take long for Link to find the way around. As he finally made it, he began panting. He'd had to fight through more of the small creatures. Suddenly, he let out a soft bark, then a whimper, as he felt the imp return to his back.

A little rest would have been nice...

"Hee hee, aww, did the detour tire you out, little wolf?" She opened her one red eye, seeming to ponder, "By the way, are you honing your senses like you should? It looks like all the spirits in here... they're all soldiers."

She gave a little tap against his fur, a grin on her lips, "Where in the world could we be? Hee hee."

Feeling like they had wasted enough time, she patted her hands against his back.

"You want out of here, right? OK! We're off!"

Entering the next section, Link noticed a spiralling staircase, which seemed to go for ages. Parts of it had decayed, but he was confident he could jump it. That was, until he jumped the first gap, landing on a decaying step, which crumbled away, sending him plummeting a few metres to the water below. Getting out of the water quickly, the wolf shook the water from his body and whimpered.

The imp almost began to laugh at the wolf at his attempt to go up the half decayed steps.

"I guess I have to do EVERYTHING for you..." She shrugged, as she flicked her hair to the side a bit. "I'll guide you to the sure footing, just do your best to keep me in your line of sight."

She quickly flew off, and landed on the more stable parts of the broken steps, as the wolfie quickly followed, making her move backwards to the next area until they were on the side of the stable steps, as she landed back on his back, clinging to him as they continued on their trip, where it consisted of fighting more shadows of the tower, walking along ropes and more decayed steps and trying to find a way to the rooftops.

"So... know where we are yet? Hee hee."

------

A hooded figure was standing by the window of their room, watching as black square like objects were drifting in the air, making the once beautiful land into a gloomy land of fire like skies. What choice was there? If they hadn't surrendered, they would instead be dead than be trapped in a world where no one was aware they had already passed on.

The thin fingers were running gently through the fur of what looked to be deep chestnut-red furred wolf, a black crescent visible on his right shoulder.

The robbed figure wasn't sure how he was able to keep a physical body when they could sense he didn't possess the triforce' power, but it seems he had, and it had something to do with the symbol that had appeared on his body when they came out to find him outside the tower entrance. He still hadn't woken up yet, was being in this realm like this keeping him from awakening? What the figure knew is if they hadn't taken the small wolf to the chamber, then the guards surely wouldn't have spared him. A small stir seemed to go through the cub, as if sensing something.

The figure's face lifted, looking out from the other tower of the castle... seems they were about to have guests...

As he made his way over the rooftops, the wolf honed his senses, noticing more soldiers. The first one he noticed whimpered about their poor Hyrule Castle.

I made it to Hyrule... though not via conventional means.

Defeating enemies and making his way across, he found himself at the window of a tower. Clambering through, he dropped inside, landing on some steps. Ears twitching, he ran upstairs and through a door. Glancing around, he suddenly began to growl. Someone was there...

The being of twilight saw this figure turn, finally noticing the company it now had, as the imp rolled her eyes a little as they walked over, her red eye noticing the small wolf pup in the figure's arms... hmm, maybe that was the other being from this wolfie boy's village. A tiny grin appeared on her face as the figure addressed her by her name... Midna.

"Eee hee, you remember my name? What an honor for me..."

"So, this is the one for whom you were searching for..." The female's voice seemed to muse to herself as she looked at the young wolf.

Midna shrugged, as if it wasn't a big deal, "He is not exactly what I had in mind... but I guess he'll do." Her fingers lightly patted her chin.

The cloaked woman knelt in front of Link, gently cradling the little wolf she held, as she noticed the broken cuff on the other's wrist. "...You were imprisoned?" She glanced off, seeming apologetic, "I am sorry..."

"Poor thing!" Midna pressed her arms to rest on top of Link's fuzzy ears. "He has no idea where this is or what has happened... so, don't you think you should explain to him what you've managed to do? You owe him that much..." A little maniacal snicker seemed to escape from Midna as she spoke her next words. "...Twilight Princess... eee hee.."

The shadows seemed to hide the look on her face as she was given that title, as she glanced at the two young fuzzies... yes, after everything that happened, they should know what is going on... maybe they could stop it.

"Listen carefully... This was once the land where the power of the gods was said to slumber. This was once the Kingdom of Hyrule. But that blessed kingdom has been transformed by the king that rules the twilight." She stroked the smaller one's fur, since he was shivering a little in his dreams, "It has been turned into a world of shadows, ruled by creatures who shun the light..."

The girl did her best to explain everything. Hyrule had been attacked by the same dark creatures that had captured Link, and they had been led by their king into the very throne room of the kingdom, soldiers in their grasp, ready to be led to their death by the claws around their necks. The being with the strange mask stepped in front of the throne, two of his shadows at his side.

"It is time for you to choose. Surrender or die. Oh yes, a question for all the land and the people of Hyrule. Life? Or Death?!"

The guards looked at her as if waiting for her response, as she felt she had no choice... she let her weapon fall out of her hand as it clattered to the floor.

A dark day had only just begun as the strange darkness began to spread over the land, as the people who were gathered outside were swallowed as well, their bodies seeming to vanish as strange flames of their souls took their place.

"Twilight covered Hyrule like a shroud, and without light the people became as spirits. Within the twilight, they live on, unaware that they have passed into spirit forms..."

She turned away from the window, using one arm to gently cradle the small wolf, "The kingdom has succumbed to the twilight, but I remain it's princess..." She reached one arm out and carefully removed her hood, revealing her face, the surprise to Link nearly knocking Midna over. "I am Zelda."

Midna saw her sad face, and seemed to shrug, "You don't have to look so sad. We actually find it quite livable. I mean, is perpetual twilight really all that bad?"

Zelda made a face, "Midna, this is no time for levity. The shadow beasts have been searching far and wide for you. Why is this?"

Midna jumped off of Link's back, and seemed to hover in the air, giving a shrug, "Why indeed. You tell me. Eee hee."

Zelda sighed, and looked back down at the wolf, "Time has grown short. The guards will soon make their rounds. You must leave here quickly."

Midna landed right back on top of the wolfie's back, seeming to question something, "What about that wolf cub your carrying? I can only assume the guards won't be happy your hiding it in your room."

Zelda nodded, and knelt down in front of Link, "This boy somehow gained this wolf form when the symbol on his shoulder appeared. I believe he would be safer with you than he would here. Please take care of him."

"Another wolf dumped onto my lap. Eh, why not." Midna brought the little cub against her lap, before tugging at Link that they had to go.

Midna held his ear suddenly, stopping him in his tracks, keeping him still as the door to the guard's chamber was soon opened, light shining from the room.

"Not that way! The guard's coming. Boy, he's prompt."

The smaller one looked around, seeing a open window above that they could use. She led Link out the window, forcing the taller wolf to carry the cub by the scruff of it's neck as they stood on the roof of the castle, the strange black squares of Twilight rising repeatedly into the air. Midna quickly turned to Link, her arms folded.

"Well, do you understand where we are now? Hmm... I guess a promise is a promise, so I'll help you return to where you first tumbled into the twilight. But... are you really sure you should be going back? Are you sure your not forgetting anything important?"

She gently scratched her face, but quickly spinning which seemed to change her form into Colin having a frightened look on his face, and then into Ilia, who appeared just as scared.

Giving a wolf-like gasp, or as best he could with the scruff of the pup's neck within his jaws, Link's ears drooped. He hadn't forgotten about his friends in trouble, but his own dilemma sidetracked him for a while. Ears perking up again, he gave a determined look.

I'll get them back... all of them. Ilia... Colin... Diggs...

"Eee hee. Do you want to save them?"

Midna, now in Ilia's form ran a hand through her hair, "Well in that case little Midna will be happy to help you. But... well, you'd have to be my servent... and as my servent, you'd have to do exactly as I say!" She quickly returned to her normal form, "Why don't you go back, take a little time, and give it some thought. Eee hee!"

In seconds, Link disappeared with the young cub in a flurry of the black squares into the dark sky above, as Midna seemed to jump into the sky above, disappearing with him.

Midna's voice seemed to giggle through the air though she didn't seem to be visible.

"Oh that's right, I forgot to mention one thing... though you may have left the darkened realm, you haven't transformed back to your former self... and neither of you will anytime soon..." She pretended to ponder, "Now why could this be? Eee hee hee. See ya later..."

Her voice seemed to disappear for the time being before another voice caught Link's attention... the voice coming from the young cub.

"...W-What happened...? Where am I...?"

The cub was awake, the bigger wolf staring down at him. Realising that he could probably talk back to the other wolf, Link gave it a try.

"Welcome to the land of the living. We're at Ordona Spring, far from Hyrule Town. As for what happened... well, let's just say that the world just became an even more messed up place..."

Something seemed familiar about the wolf cub's voice, but Link shook it off.

"So... what next?" Came a familiar voice...

From Link's shadow came Midna, her normal red seeming blank in her shadowy form.

"Eee hee hee. Did you think I disappeared? Listen, there's another thing I forgot to tell you. Don't think you can just run off and save your friends... cause you can't. Just beyond that bridge, the land is covered in twilight. Last time, a shadow beast pulled you through the curtain of twilight... But if you want to go through that way this time, you'll need the cooperation of someone FROM the twilight... like me. So you really have no choice but to do as I say. Saving your friends and all that... Well... that depends on your actions... because you can never trust words, you know."

She lightly tapped her chin, seeming to think for a second.

"Right now, I want a sword and shield that will suit me. You do understand me, don't you? Eee hee hee. So what do you plan to do? While you're here dawdling, the twilight continues to expand. Come on! Hurry it up!"

Link fought the urge to growl at Midna. He knew somehow that she was on his side, but man, she was pushy.

Kinda like another girl I know...

Turning to the cub, the bigger wolf gave a nod.

"We'd better do as Midna asks and get her a sword and shield. I know where we can get them. Follow me."

The wolf scampered towards Ordon Village, slowing down a bit as he got closer.

"You... like myself, were obviously attacked by creatures of this twilight. You don't seem like a normal wolf, which means you must have been changed into one... like me."

The young wolf followed beside the older wolf... he wasn't completely sure who this other wolf is... but he knew he could trust him... his smell just seemed comforting... and... alluring, in a way. He stepped in front of the path that would take them to Ordon... he couldn't believe that he could come back without bringing the children along with him... he felt ashamed... he just hoped he didn't have to face Link like this.

"Wait!" a voice suddenly called out. "I don't know what you've come here to do, but if you're going into town, be careful!"

Turning around, Link suddenly noticed a squirrel standing in front of the door to his house.

"THEY came and made both the forest and the village a mess..." the squirrel continued. "They kidnapped the children from the village... But you're different... You're not a bad thing, are you? I can tell, because you smell like the trees of Ordon... If you run into any trouble, try talking to the animals in town. We animals understand one another, so you'll be fine!"'

Link nodded, thanking the squirrel. Heading on into the village, he glanced around. He was sure it wouldn't be a good idea for anyone to see him and the smaller pup. Noticing Hanch standing on an elevated piece of land which was jutting out of the lagoon, he snuck past, before hearing voices.

"Oh, about the shield..."

"Shh! Not so loud..."

It was Mayor Bo and Jaggle, who were standing near the latter's house. Deciding it was in his best interests to eavesdrop, the wolf began to creep closer, keeping hidden in the grass.

The wolf pup crawled over beside him, keeping his ears perked, feeling as if the usual role of him talking to animals was reversed... now he was the animal listening to humans.

He didn't know if he could could completely trust Midna... but... helping this wolf seemed to mean that he could protect Ordon from whatever was happening... and that would make up for his failure of letting the Bulbins take the kids....

...right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.