Twilight Memories

Shadow Fire

The Usurper King merely smirked and released him.

"Very well, Dusk... you probably do not know this, but it was your father who wished me to do this. The twilight is a facade... merely a test to draw out the real you. Now that you have awoken, I shall leave you to enjoy your return."

-----

Meanwhile, inside the Lakebed Temple, Link had managed to pass through much of it, but as he went back to the central chamber to prepare for his fight with the dungeon master, he suddenly stopped, seeming to sense a disturbance.

"Diggs..." he murmured. "I hope you're... ungh!"

Dropping to his knees, the blond collapsed to his knees. Clutching his head in his hands, he screamed in pain, before it dissipated. Suddenly, he heard a soft snicker. Looking up, he saw that he still seemed to be in the Lakebed Temple, but things were different, and before him, stood a discoloured version of himself.

Wow... it's like looking into a mirror, only... not...

Gasping, Link took a step backwards, but as he did, his duplicate took a step forward, without missing a beat.

What...? What are you?

I think you know, Link... you saw me... saw through my eyes... when Lanayru showed you that tale. But if you need a name, call me Umbra.

Suddenly, Umbra stepped forward, and cupped Link's face in his hands, smirking wider.

I never really realised just how cute I really was... but I suppose it shouldn't be surprising. Anyway... on to more pressing matters, I have returned to take back that which is mine... my body...

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What the heck is the matter with you? Link, answer me!"

Midna found the boy was still, as she tried to get him to move.

"Link, this is not funny, get up right---!"

The imp wasn't able to finish what she had wanted to say when she suddenly felt something grab her arm, and pulled her away, as she was left hanging in the air.

"What's the hurry, Midna? Leave him be..."

Midna's eyes widened in horror... oh god no...

"Not you! Why are you here, Dusk? I thought you had been sealed away by Tsuki's Starryway band!"

"So you remember me... I feel honoured..."

He tightened his squeeze on her arm, hearing her gasp at his near attempt at breaking her arm.

"I'm back... and I want Umbra to return... you won't interfere..."

Midna winced, looking at the blonde who was knelt on the ground, his face shadowed by his hair.

Don't lose, you stupid wolf... or everything you and Diggs fought for... will mean nothing...

Link stared back at Umbra in horror, finding himself unable to move.

What do you--?

I told you... but if you want a history lesson, I'd be glad to tell you. See, you are me... and I am you. We are one and the same... the only differences being that the way I look, is what is real.

Shaking his head, Link desperately tried to pull free, but found he couldn't move. Umbra gave a haunting smile and continued.

What Lanayru showed you, was what you were like before this life. I knew a boy... he and I were totally in love, but we sought a power which we could not comprehend. I sought it for his sake, because he was injured. However, I performed many misdeeds and was to be punished. However, what the light spirits did not know was that I was destined to hold a piece of that power. In order to maintain the balance of order, I was reborn... as Link. As for my love, Dusk... he is someone you know well. You've even seen the real him on a few occasions.

Link's eyes widened.

You can't mean... not Diggs?!

Umbra glanced to the side and nodded, before looking back at Link, a cryptic grin on his face.

Yes. Dusk sought me out on his own, but found I had been destroyed. In his rage, he attacked everything, and thus, he had to be dealt with. Sadly for them, they couldn't totally destroy him. Once again, it would disrupt the balance, so another child was born, and Dusk was sealed inside with the power of his mother's Starryway band. You caught a glimpse or two of him, although I took over your body when I realised he was still alive.

But, I...

Don't concern yourself. I will not cause any unnecessary harm to come to you. I only want what is rightfully mine. When the time comes that we obtain the power we seek, I may separate from you, and let you continue with your naive existance. Now, hold still... This won't hurt... much.

Umbra leaned in and pressed his lips against Link's, ignoring the other's muffled cries. A glow surrounded them, and moments later, everything went white.

-----

Back in the Lakebed Temple, a soft groan was heard. His hair seemed to darken and his eyes shifted to a reddish glow. Looking up, he stood to his feet and walked forward.

"I have returned... my beloved."

Umbra cast a quick glance at Midna, before returning his attention to Dusk, draping his arms around the other.

"I am sorry for what happened. These past several years have been torturous. But to be with you again... I am truly happy once more."

Reaching a hand under the other boy's chin, he tilted Dusk's head up and glanced into his eyes.

"I always did get lost in those eyes... do anything for the one who tamed my heart."

With a smile, he leaned in and pressed his lips against the older male's.

My heart... it still belongs to you... beats only for you...

"Of course... but first thing's first... Midna..."

Glancing down at the imp, he pulled away from his lover, reaching down to help her up.

"Do not be concerned for Link. He is still there... I will keep him safe, as he has unknowingly done for me for many years. Let us find this power you seek."

Umbra shook his head, before reaching over and taking Dusk's hand, casting a glance back over at Midna.

"Get used to it, Midna. I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon, and I would kill if it meant keeping Dusk here with me. Now... all I need to do is open the door to the inner lair."

• 2 weeks later...

Dusk easily managed to push the door open, not finding it hard at all to breathe underwater, as he looked around, seeing the tendrils sticking out of the sand.

"I can see the monster is hiding inside there... that means we take the Shadow from it, and get out of here... I never really liked anything related to water."

The fight seemed grueling, but that only further excited Umbra. He took a little bit of damage, and it felt good to be experiencing everything for himself once more, though he did make a mental note to destroy Morpheel, and that's just what he did. After several minutes, Morpheel finally fell, and the water began to drain from the chamber.

"How disappointing... that was a little too easy. Oh well... now for the last piece of this Fused Shadow. Prepare yourself Midna..."

• 2 weeks later...

Midna watched in almost awe... Umbra had handled that a lot better than she would have expected.

Dusk teleported beside the other male, as the last piece of the Fused Shadow appeared beside them.

"It's been a while since I've seen you fight... you were awesome."

Dusk grinned brightly, as Midna reached out and claimed the final piece of the power she needed.

Umbra stood on the portal, helping the other male on with him, as they were sent back to Lanayru's spring. However, when they arrived, they were in for a surprise. Zant was standing behind them. His helmet looked totally ominous. Lanayru came up to fend him off, but it was swiftly knocked back with the power of Zant's twilight magic. Once more, twilight filled the area, and Umbra had returned to wolf form.

What the hell? But I'm back as my true self!

"Umbra!"

Dusk knelt down, and held the wolf close to him... this wasn't supposed to happen... Umbra had the power of the twilight like him, why had he turned back into a wolf?

Midna had changed back from her shadow form to her normal self, as she looked over in Zant's direction, looking rathed pissed.

"Zant!"

Zant used his power to summon the Fused Shadows, giving a soft chuckle from under his helmet, also using his power to hold Midna in mid-air.

"Did you honestly mean to take an ancient and withered power like this and turn it against me? You are a foolish traitor, Midna. Why do you defy your king?"

Zant gave a snicker, knowing that Umbra was helpless to do anything, and Dusk would know better than to do anything that could result in his love's getting hurt.

"How dare you?! Are you implying that my power is...our old magic? Now THAT is a joke! This power is granted to me by my god! It is the magic of the King of Twilight, and you WILL respect it!"

He began to float around Midna, giving more soft snickers, dodging as Umbra lunged at him, before forcing a twilight crystal into his forehead. Umbra dropped to the ground, weakened.

"My Midna... Did you forget? That beast is one of the light dwellers who oppressed our people. No matter how much you may desire otherwise, you will never be more than a shadow in their world. You cannot consort with their kind! But if we can make their world ours, Midna...light and darkness will meet at last. Our tribe will take back their realm...and sweet darkness will blot out this harsh light! And that, Midna, is why..."

The Usurper King moved in close, his helmet retracting to allow his mouth to show, as he put it right next to the imp's ear.

"I need you. Not just for me, but for all of our people... Lend me your power."

Seeing Midna's defiant glare, he scoffed.

"So be it... I will return you to the light world you covet!"

With those words, he ripped the twilight away, but prevented Midna from returning to her Shadow form.

The flash of light and Midna's scream was the only thing Dusk could make out, as he covered his eyes to keep himself from looking into the harsh light, before everything seemed to fade.

Dusk managed to open his eyes again, as he found it was dark outside, and a inverted looking Midna was lying on the ground, as well as his hurt looking love, still trapped in his wolf form.

"Dammit... I swear I'll tear that guy's arm off the next time I see him for this..."

Dusk brought Umbra to rest against his back, while he carried Midna in his arms, trying to figure out where to go from here.

Eyes opening, Umbra looked around, noticing they were on Hyrule Field. Suddenly noticing Midna's dying form on his back, he felt a sudden compassionate need to help her. A voice suddenly called down towards them.

"O, heroes chosen by the goddesses... Go to the princess locked away in the castle. That princess holds the key that can unlock the shadow form..."

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.