SayakaGL - New Zelda OoT/MM level editor

xdaniel

Fixed up something that hasn't been in one of my viewers since the original OZMAV: selecting which scene and room header to use. For comparison, first is a screenshot from Adult Link's Kakariko and the old guy walking back and forth there, second is basically the same thing shown in SayakaGL:

Posted Image

Posted Image

The scene header is selected via the dropdown list in the brand-new toolbar, the room header is selected by right-clicking the room in the room list, and then selecting the room header in the menu. Still have to properly test if saving works correctly when, say, trying to modify actors defined in different room headers... Oh yeah, another minor addition, you can now tell Sayaka to render all rooms at once via the menu, instead of having to select all the rooms in the list manually. I believe that was a suggesion from Naxylldritt, so yeah. It's in now :P

Also, something only semi-related - Nemu "crashing" earlier today, while I was messing around with the game. Note that the game still ran, complete with controls, despite the "nemu64.exe has caused a problem and has to be shut down" message box and the messed up graphics: http://i.imgur.com/U3IBS.png

Uhh... well... uh... ...the interview is over! >.<"

No no, just joking :P Well, the thing's supposed to become a good, user-friendly level editor for the N64 Zelda games, which is probably obvious. Basically OZMAV2 with a UoT-ish interface and its editing features. UoT is pretty good, but somewhat buggy and also practically dead, and OZMAV2 is too complicated for the casual user (and maybe for its own good). This is kinda to be a replacement for both, or that's what I hope it might become someday anyway.

Problems are mainly me trying to get around in C#, because this is just my second real project made using that language, and despite many similarities with C, it's still somewhat different. Also there's some rendering quirks most viewers/editors for Zelda have, such as the missing transparency with ex. the paths in Hyrule Field or incorrect texture repeating/clamping in many of Majora's Mask's maps.

An interview quistion for the great Haruhi Suzumiya whats your main focus on this contraption you have been cooking up as of recent your main best intrest in building it what you want the most out it?And what are your problems in it as of late? :P

Having some issues with the syntax? I might know someone who might be able to help

Complain to the original developers, they've always been like that :P

Also, general little overview video for the program:

Just a little suggestion

You know how you have to put the actors onto the right height manually

Maybe have a command key that drops to floor so that way it save a lot of time with the placing of the actors

Just a little suggestion

You know how you have to put the actors onto the right height manually

Maybe have a command key that drops to floor so that way it save a lot of time with the placing of the actors

Should be doable, but might take some time, so I'm not going to tackle this right away. It really is a good idea tho, as should be obvious from the carpenter's floating boss :P

Also, not really anything new to report for now, besides that I turned 24 and because of that haven't had the chance to work on the program over the weekend. Fixed a few minor bugs this evening, but nothing earth-shattering or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

This program itself isn't capable of adding anything right now, but once importers either directly support adding of waypoint data or leave enough space in the header and elsewhere in the file to do it manually, then SayakaGL should be able to let you edit them - that is, once it's compatible with custom maps anyway, which it currently (still) isn't.

Someone should really change the title of the forum to SayakaGL.And anything intresting done?Also has waypoint editing been comeletely added with out problems?I cant wait to try that out.YOu think we could add tool to vertex editing like push and pull and create lines or would that be to difficult? :P

Adding geometry (which is involved in pushing/pulling, as you seem to imply, assuming you mean the feature as it is in SketchUp) would be extremely difficult to program in, as it requires changing the file size and ends up either overwriting whatever file is next in line, or would require saving to a new location in the ROM and repointing the file table. Either way, it's a painstaking process that isn't worth any potential gains.

Well, this is impressive.

I am not sure if this is exactly possible, but would you be able to make it so you can change textures?

Well, not change exactly, but make it so you can change some random room effects like Animated Textures and/or Room Effects (Jabu Jabus moving walls)

I guess you could do it in a Hex Editor if you know what your doing.

Anyway, this is really impressive. Hopefully itll be the next UoT, I cant wait til its out to try it myself.

Adding geometry (which is involved in pushing/pulling, as you seem to imply, assuming you mean the feature as it is in SketchUp) would be extremely difficult to program in, as it requires changing the file size and ends up either overwriting whatever file is next in line, or would require saving to a new location in the ROM and repointing the file table. Either way, it's a painstaking process that isn't worth any potential gains.

But would be revolotionary if we were successful.but seriosly title change anyone? :P

But would be revolotionary if we were successful.but seriosly title change anyone? :ph34r:

Not really. Zeth's added geometry to Hyrule Field before, and it wasn't too big of a deal. But he had to repoint the file because it didn't fit in its original place, so it's highly inefficient to add geometry. You're just better off making custom maps.

I'll leave it to xdan to change the title if he wants to. I find encroaching on another person's project page, even with something as simple as the title, to be extremely rude.

Well, this is impressive.

I am not sure if this is exactly possible, but would you be able to make it so you can change textures?

Well, not change exactly, but make it so you can change some random room effects like Animated Textures and/or Room Effects (Jabu Jabus moving walls)

I guess you could do it in a Hex Editor if you know what your doing.

Anyway, this is really impressive. Hopefully itll be the next UoT, I cant wait til its out to try it myself.

I think the effect for Jabu-Jabu's belly is controlled either by an actor present in ever room, or in the scene header (most likely the scene header). Animated textures are also being worked on; Zeth has made progressing for supporting animated textures in map imports from Majora's Mask. Check out this video for details.

And yes, both of these can be done with a hex editor. It's just a matter of knowing the file formats and correctly manipulating them. I imagine it wouldn't be terribly difficult for xdan to implement these in SayakaGL, and I for one certainly support being able to edit animated textures, especially when/if support for custom maps comes out.

Heh, yeah, I have a tendency to do that from time to time. XD

Actor handling works really well for me, xdan. It's only the waypoint selecting that's mildly difficult, and that's only when I want to deselect the waypoint. Other than that, I found pretty much no problems with it.

So far, this looks completely freaking awesome!

Though I do have a few questions.

-Will this be able to export maps? If so What formats would they be in? I would assume .obj/ Raw F3DEX Data.

-How efficient would you say this is for custom maps?

and -Why are you so darn smart? :P

~Why do r and n look like an m close together? :blink:

First of all, I'm having a terrible cold and haven't really worked on anything since the weekend, no matter if Sayaka, the GB emulator, whatever else.

Next, SagnuinettiMods' questions:

1. Exporting maps hasn't really been on my mind, but getting a model exporter class done - or integrate it into the Ucode interpreter - could be a nice challenge or so.

2. I, to be honest, still haven't added support for custom maps at all yet, because - tho I'm maybe oversimplifying things - they're technically not being done correctly yet. I will add support for our current custom maps prior to the first public release, tho, as editing those was more or less one of the main reasons why I started writing this.

3. Uhm, dunno... While I don't really believe in its real-world significance, I suppose my IQ (or rather the areas my weird brain excels at) might help me here a bit?

4. All down to the font used :P

*very* excited for this release. I few people along with myself plan on making a full OoT hack, and Utility of Time is killing me :P Very confusing indeed. Your editor is in alpha stages and in all honesty, it looks a looooot better than UoT. Keep up the good work!! :P

~~~

Edit: Quick question; I was wondering if it's possible in any way to add voice acting to the game for cutscenes, or standing NPCs. I know voice acting itself has been done on N64 (Star Fox, Conker's Bad Fur Day), and I think it'd be totally awesome if we could add it to OoT/MM.

Also, will you be adding support for texture editing?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.