How Ocarina of Time almost became the worst game ever

Zeth Ryder

IGN sums up all the basic keypoints in Ocarina of Time's development history on the N64 and behold what you are about to see/read is going to make you appreciate Ocarina of Time even more! You can read the article here:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/118/1182442p1.html

Down below is the more indepth articles:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1176996p1.html

http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1179328p1.html

Zelda64. Was. Going. To. Take. Place. In. An. Entire. CASTLE!!?!!!?! Sheesh, I wouldn't mind Hyrule Castle being the first mini-dungeon but not as the entire hub world, that would've been mindf***ing. Also, I'm glad Navi became a Fairy and not a talking Triangle, now that would've been weird. The only development idea that interests me though is the planned scorching of Lon Lon Ranch, now THAT would've been hardcore.

Zelda64. Was. Going. To. Take. Place. In. An. Entire. CASTLE!!?!!!?! Sheesh, I wouldn't mind Hyrule Castle being the first mini-dungeon but not as the entire hub world, that would've been mindf***ing. Also, I'm glad Navi became a Fairy and not a talking Triangle, now that would've been weird. The only development idea that interests me though is the planned scorching of Lon Lon Ranch, now THAT would've been hardcore.

The thing is, its not hyrule castle, its Ganon's castle. And yeah I agree, the burning of Lon Lon Ranch would of been amazing/devastating to watch, so instead they burned down Kakariko. If you also read the other articles they link in that first post. They also talk about getting 7 spells from the sages which they turned into 3 spells, one for each goddess.

Also I added the 2 indepth articles as well for reading since you guys might be missing them by accident when reading the first article.

The thing is, its not hyrule castle, its Ganon's castle. And yeah I agree, the burning of Lon Lon Ranch would of been amazing/devastating to watch, so instead they burned down Kakariko. If you also read the other articles they link in that first post. They also talk about getting 7 spells from the sages which they turned into 3 spells, one for each goddess.

Also I added the 2 indepth articles as well for reading since you guys might be missing them by accident when reading the first article.

Oh sorry, I didn't know that it had the same name as the final version at that point of development. Also, the 7 spells thing is an interesting tidbit. Why I missed that XP

Oh sorry, I didn't know that it had the same name as the final version at that point of development. Also, the 7 spells thing is an interesting tidbit. Why I missed that XP

I added the two links in the first post, they talk about that stuff as well as how OOT almost became 1st person combat. :P

I added the two links in the first post, they talk about that stuff as well as how OOT almost became 1st person combat. :P

So, OoT was almost in the vein of Oblivion(which is a first-person adventure), well screw that! I'm glad that wasn't implemented in the final version. Also, the 7 spells thing still impresses me. And I'm glad the autojump made it to the final version.

... "Then you could cut the signs from different directions, but then when a piece flew off and landed in the pond, since we hadn't taken care of collision detection when it hit against water, it would just fall to the bottom with a clack," he said. "Generally, you would just decide not to put a sign by the water, but Morita-san made it so the piece would float on the water. Yeah. Morita-san made that because he was certain the players would love it. Then we just wanted to put more signs by the water!" ...

That part made my day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.