Another Zelda?

Zeth Ryder

While going through files on the Gcube disk of Master Quest, I've already extracted, and began converting some texture files I came across these two textures, I was a little more shocked when this came up cause, I've never heard of this before. There even seems to be a smaller banner to match with the title.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow, this really sparks my interest, we may have found a mystery here..

Or possibly an answer to what the localization title of URA Zelda would of been for the US.

EDIT: I also found beta text that isn't used either.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's a ingame screenshot to see the original on the sides to compare with.

Posted Image

• 4 months later...

Okay, I know there's been a while since this came up but I just thought of something.

With all the interview-material out on the web about URA Zelda, I suppose we're all in agreement that Master Quest is NOT Ura. Master Quest might just be the final name of a version of OoT with remixed dungeons that we know today but first was named "X". Could also been a codename of the project?

• 3 weeks later...

Its very possible that MQ was called Zelda Project X before a name was decided, though I'm wondering why I find the X logo in the Japanese ISO as well.....

It might explain why for Japan its called GC URA. They originally weren't going to use the URA name due to it not being the full game....sooooo <insert speculation>

• 1 month later...

I actually never considered MQ to be a part of URA at all.

Hell, I got into a fight with an ignorant administrator on another forum trying to tell him how the two had no connection, but he wouldn't let up.

He began throwing out quotes and wiki links that contradicted each other and such, but nobody cared how dumb he made himself look;

He's just the awesome admin everyone loves there, so they kissed his ass over and over and joined in with calling me wrong. Bleh. What a fool.

I love it here, since that kind of stuff doesn't happen.

(and I love it here for many more reasons)

I actually never considered MQ to be a part of URA at all.

Same here. To me, it basically feels like they just let some interns play around with their level editor, and those interns were like the stereotypical ROM hackers - you know, knowing the game in question in and out, making crazy glitch-abusing hacks, and if you can't finish it in one life, etc., etc. you're not worth it. There's some glitches resulting from the changed actor layouts even; couldn't you go through a ceiling in Jabu-Jabu by just standing on one of those water jets, then just jumping off and out-of-bounds?

Of course they didn't really let interns make the game, or at least I sure hope so, tho it kinda does come across that way to me...

• 1 month later...

MQ, is just little bits of URA, passable as a new quest, and once URA was cancelled, Nintendo released so fans would SHUTUP about it.

So it's not really URA, just extra actors and models and stuff. A lot of the dungeons are really whack and it's just like "What...? Why the f***...?"

Same here. To me, it basically feels like they just let some interns play around with their level editor, and those interns were like the stereotypical ROM hackers - you know, knowing the game in question in and out, making crazy glitch-abusing hacks, and if you can't finish it in one life, etc., etc. you're not worth it.

Yeah, leading into that. Sorry 'bout the rage.

• 6 months later...

I've never thought that Zelda URA and Master Quest were the same thing. I thought that Master Quest was Nintendo's way of appeasing the masses to get them to stop complaining about the Zelda that never came to be. I believe that there is still another Zelda game out there that we haven't even touched yet, and we won't get to until something gets leaked onto the net.

I believe that Majora's Mask is a more likely candidate for being Zelda URA, and I have a magazine article from 1999 If I'm correct in Electronic Gaming Monthly that shows Majora's Mask running on N64DD, but you can't make out the cartridge that is running in system. It was a 64DD dev unit, so the disk was blue, and the cartridge in the N64 was unlabeled.

I believe that Majora's Mask is a more likely candidate for being Zelda URA, and I have a magazine article from 1999 If I'm correct in Electronic Gaming Monthly that shows Majora's Mask running on N64DD, but you can't make out the cartridge that is running in system. It was a 64DD dev unit, so the disk was blue, and the cartridge in the N64 was unlabeled.

Wasn't Zelda Gaiden going to run off the N64DD, though? Zelda Gaiden is what turned into Majora's Mask, iirc.

Wasn't Zelda Gaiden going to run off the N64DD, though? Zelda Gaiden is what turned into Majora's Mask, iirc.

Let me see if I can find that magazine. I'm not sure if they call it Zelda Gaiden or Majora's Mask at the time. I feel that Majoras Mask still shows more promise as a platform for Zelda URA. Who knows I don't think we will ever have all the answers.

This is a great find though. Awesome work.

If my sources are to be trusted Iwata created Zelda Gaiden at the same time as Miyamoto creating URA Zelda, the DD was a complete failiure and URA couldn't be run on N64 even with the expansion pack, Gaiden, however was still in alpha stages at the time and could be converted without hassle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.