Deku Sprout question (actor)

haddockd

Question

Sooooooo, I was going through the plot and after you beat the Forest Temple you speak with the Deku Sprout. Everything goes according to plan except the last thing he says after the cutscene. In my mod, a Deku baba appears in his place. Is this normal? I never replaced him at all so I am hoping it is...

Here is a screenie (the screenie does contain a BIG spoiler for my mod so I edited the photo to eliminate the text)

deku_sprout.png

I am REALLY hoping it is normal because SceneNavi has the proper actor there:

Untitled.png

SceneNavi has the Sprout in "Stages" 2, 9, 11 and 12. I am unsure which of those is the appropriate one for right after the cutscene to be honest. Any thoughts?

9 answers to this question

You don't need it, I don't think. But the fact that it's got the correct actor data but is appearing as a Deku Baba points to there being something wrong with your ROM. It might be why you were having issues with the well in Kakariko. I can't think how a ROM could 'break' in such a bizarrely functional way, but it's something you might need to consider.

I seriously need to find better ways to share my data...

"Stages" are what I call scene setups, aka alternate loadouts for the same scene. 0-3 are your playable ones, 4+ are cutscene only (except for some horse back things). Because of funny numbering systems, scene setup 4 = cutscene setup 0.

Now the important setups related to your problem are...

Setup 2 is Adult Kokiri Forest, with enemies
Setup 3 is Adult Kokiri Forest, Forest Saved, Deku Sprout spawns

Cutscene 6 (setup 10) is Credits, Deku Sprout.
Cutscene 8 (setup 12) is Deku Tree Sprout Introduction.
Cutscene 9 (setup 13) is Deku Tree Sprout "You Are Hylian" cutscene.

You list that scene setups 2, 9, 11, 12. Either XDan doesn't follow the proper internal numbering/I don't adhere to map select bs, or you fucked up major... thinking about it though, it's likely the former so you may want to subtract 1 from my setup numbers.

One more thing: Arcaith is probably way off base on your rom being bad.

"Stages" in SceneNavi are numbered starting at 0, and in the order in which the scene headers appear in the scene. They also weren't supposed to forever be named just "Stage #X", but to get proper descriptions via the game-specific StageDescriptions.xml files, which many indoor scenes already have (because they're easy to do, as they only have 4 or so headers max). The descriptions would (have) somewhat alleviate(d) the need for manually counting setups and the like. Link's house, for example, has its three stages named "Normal Gameplay", "Cutscene: Meeting Navi" and "Cutscene: Link's Nightmare", which IIRC is correct.

"Stages" in SceneNavi are numbered starting at 0, and in the order in which the scene headers appear in the scene. They also weren't supposed to forever be named just "Stage #X", but to get proper descriptions via the game-specific StageDescriptions.xml files, which many indoor scenes already have (because they're easy to do, as they only have 4 or so headers max). The descriptions would (have) somewhat alleviate(d) the need for manually counting setups and the like. Link's house, for example, has its three stages named "Normal Gameplay", "Cutscene: Meeting Navi" and "Cutscene: Link's Nightmare", which IIRC is correct.

What's incorrect is how that information is documented in StageDescriptions.xml. By numbering things in order of existence, the documentation will break if the player adds (for example) a night scene setup to Link's House without the location of the other scene setups changing.

Thats it!

I loaded it up from the menu to go through the plot. I didnt actually beat the temple. Thanks Takuhi!

Yep, Glad I could help figure out your problem! Its just a simple flag issue that gets checked once Phantom Ganon is beaten. Im glad to hear it was something simple then something wrong with the rom itself while you were modding. Best of luck with the mod. :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.