Background music in Ocarina of Time

!Tommy

Question

I'm probably going to be able to answer my own question with this but I might as well call upon the experts. Has anyone figured out how to play music in Ocarina of Time during the night hours? Now before anyone answers yes, there's a twist to the question. Has anyone figured out how to be able to play a different track at night. For example, in Twilight Princess you have the main Hyrule Field theme in the morning until evening and then once night hits, a completely different track plays. So I'm wondering, has anyone figured out how to do this with Ocarina of Time or is it nearly impossible without the use of an assembly hack?

4 answers to this question

The night bgm uses a different audio type apparently. You might have to insert new music for night with the N64 sound tool? I'm not sure.

https://www.the-gcn.com/topic/2471-the-beginners-guide-to-music-antiqua-teasers/

Since I can't see the post number I'll just copy and past some info from the link above.

So, I wanted to change the music in the Lost Woods without changing the Lost Woods song that Darunia dances too. After mentioning something about it to Spire he pointed me in SanguinettieMods direction, and SanguinettieMods said this.

"Replace a different sequence and change the sequence that plays in the lost woods. You change that by editing the Lost Wood's scene file. In the Scene's header, look for a 0x15 command. The format for that is 

15xx0000 0000yyzz

where

x = reverb

y = music playback option, 0x13 = always playing z = track to play"

And that's pretty much it. By doing that you can do something like give Lake Hylia a different song without changing Hyrule Fields.

Here's a quote from Strati's post:

Just to complement this info, the yy above referred as "music playback" option stands for the scene's night bgm.   The night bgm uses a different audio type, that plays nature sounds.   A setting of 0x00 is found into scenes with the complete day-night cycle and will play the standard night noises.   The 0x13 setting is found in dungeons and indoors, so the music will be always playing, independent of the time of the day.   01 - Standard night [Kakariko] 02 - Distant storm [Graveyard] 03 - Howling wind and cawing [Ganon's Castle] 04 - Wind + night birds [Kokiri] 05, 08, 09, 0D, 0E, 10, 12 - Wind + crickets 06,0C - Wind 07 - Howling wind 0A - Tubed howling wind [Wasteland] 0B - Tubed howling wind [Colossus] 0F - Wind + birds 14, 16, 18, 19, 1B, 1E - silence 1C - Rain 17, 1A, 1D, 1F - high tubed wind + rain

• Like 1

Thanks Arcaith, I might give that a try. It's not really the biggest deal but it would be nice to have nighttime tracks.

HeavyZ, I did know about changing the variable to 13 to have music play at night but it would most likely be just the same track, unless I was able to change another variable some other place. A bit of a spoiler is that I was going to have a night theme for Hyrule Field just as Twilight Princess did but I didn't want it to be the main overworld theme. N64 Sound Tool hasn't been that nice to me. I think it's developed more for other games than it is for Zelda at this point. Even though it works for it, it's a bit broken as you can't just magically import sounds like you could into Mario 64 (or so it seems you can). I'm hoping N64 tool however will be developed more as time goes on to be able to work around these limitations as even replacing sound effects has been very very hit and miss and even when I did replace the sounds with something, N64 Tool usually just produced static for playback even if nothing was remapped and fit in the original area.

I have another question I might just as well post here instead of creating a separate thread. I've replaced several tracks in OoT that used Hyrule Field as a theme. Now what I want to know is how can I make it so the enemy theme will play not just in the night time but also the day time. The enemy theme doesn't seem to play since Hyrule Field's composition handled near enemy music slightly differently during the day. Anyone know how to get around this?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.