Indoctrination Video

Conker

I am Episcopalian and am not ashamed of my Christian faith.

I am, however, ashamed of some denominations... Unfortunately, these groups (i.e. a good deal of Catholics - not implying all) hold the most power in the religious world and have the greatest influence on the peoples' opinions.

While my mother is a Jehovah's Witness, she was never this manipulative. I admit that she had tried to enforce that religion on to me, but she didn't go to this extent. She never forced me to throw away a toy, or forbid me to read a certain book, or whatever, as long as I "still had Jehovah in my heart". I'm honestly not a big fan of this religion. And recently, their "Kingdom Hall" which my mother and younger brother used to attend excommunicated them, for missing five days, due to our family being busy.Oh god. Did I just have a rant? To sum it up, some people are too devout in their religion, that they'll go to certain extremes.

I'm an agnostic atheist, I don't believe that a god exists based on a lack of evidence, if evidence were to ever surface i would reconsider my position, but if the Christian god was ever proven I would NEVER worship it, seriously have any Christians ever actually read that book? It's terrible, it's despicable, it's grotesque, i can't even describe the horrors in that book it's that bad.

• Like 4

@Antidote: I'm sorry, but frankly you're coming off as pretty arrogant and insulting.

About the Bible: there's a few reasons that the various denominations of Christianity have held multiple councils over time, one being to figure out what can and can't be applicable from tradition to the modern day (e.g. the eye-for-an-eye policy has been heavily phased out by most denominations). In fact, for the most part, the Old Testament isn't too relevant to most Christian doctrines anymore (the OT being where a majority of the admittedly objectionable content originates from), essentially being reduced to a curiosity to learn where Christian tradition stems from.

@BullockDS I'm not being arrogant, just honest, seriously just read the bible, you'll see what I'm saying.

If being honest is arrogant, I'd rather be arrogant than ignorant.

@Conker

The New testament came about mostly by sheer chance, and the bible was assembled by a committee each hand choosing which parts of the gospel to become part of the canonical text, the other parts were then discarded and considered blasphemous.

There is a ton of research done behind both the New and Old testament and it's all publicly available, a simple google search away.

I've read the bible cover to cover, and it's the primary reason why i'm an atheist today, Mark Twain said: "It is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies."

EDIT:The stories about Jesus and the resurrection are really just retellings of the same story with some embellishments and "improvements"

One (Mark or Luke i can't remember right now) is based on The Greek Septuagint the other based on another translation of the former.

My one and only warning

This thread seems to be spiraling into a heated religious debate, which is probably one of the worst sort of things that could possibly ever happen. Flame wars are not nice, and we don't need to be tossing our beliefs into other people's faces, shoving things down others throats, or being generally unpleasant. I would prefer that this debate be nipped in the bud altogether before things get worse, but I do not ask that explicitly. However, if this gets out of hand, I will not hesitate to hand out warning points.

@Conker: It's not so much that the Bible is re-written by councils, moreso that they try to decide what is and isn't still relevant to follow at that point in time (e.g. shedding of many traditional Jewish rituals like circumcision and forbidding the consumption of meat from cloven-hooved animals). Also, for the record, I'm not trying to say whether or not Christianity is true (right now I'm agnostic myself, so I'm having trouble figuring out my stance on that matter).

@Antidote: saying things like "I got rid of imaginary friends along time ago, but if people want to pretend that's fine" comes off as condescending and makes it sound as if you think less of Christians for believing in a God. If this isn't really the case, I apologize. Also, I will concede that there's a fair bit of fowl stuff in the Bible; however, as I said, this sort of thing is what most Christian councilmen/educators/clergymen want to avoid more and more often (I don't think you'd want to hear the priest sing or discuss things like The Song of Songs* during Sunday mass anymore :o). 

*(NSFW)

"TI slept but my heart was awake.

Listen! My beloved is knocking:
“Open to me, my sister, my darling,
my dove, my flawless one.
My head is drenched with dew,
my hair with the dampness of the night.â€
I have taken off my robe—
must I put it on again?
I have washed my feet—
must I soil them again?
My beloved thrust his hand through the latch-opening;
my heart began to pound for him.
I arose to open for my beloved,
and my hands dripped with myrrh,
my fingers with flowing myrrh,
on the handles of the bolt.
I opened for my beloved,

but my beloved had left; he was gone."

It would probably just be a good idea to just lock this topic, all I said was that I was an agnostic atheist and my reasoning why. No harm or foul was meant on my part.

BullockDS took offense to what I said and gave no real reason as to why, I have no problems with religion, just the book.

EDIT:

This was posted before I saw Bullocks,

@BullockDS Why does my opinion of what people do really matter? It's just that: an opinion, it wasn't meant as an insult or anything of that sort, I do apologize that you took offense, but I meant what I said.