Columns

Shadow Fire

I am pleased to announce the winner of the Columns Community Challenge:

Secant

Yes, our beloved master of all things Finlandcycles has managed to take this title. This was an extremely close competition, as after final scoring, Secant managed to beat giadrosich by an astonishing 6 point lead. The times and scores for each participant are as follows:

RANK
TIME
SCORE

Secant
0:13:14

giadrosich
0:03:04

Mellow
0:02:40

Colonel Medo
0:00:55

xdaniel
0:04:43

To Coool
0:05:38

Well done, and thank you to the participants. Keep an eye out for the next challenge, coming soon!

• Like 3

Okay, I just gotta say it:

I'm sorry, but the next challenge needs to be an N64 game. You'll get much more contenders if it is.

Ideas:

1. DeathBasket's boss rush hack
  2. Star Fox 64(who can get the most points on whichever route?)
  3. Super Smash Bros. 64(who can survive the longest under certain conditions?)

Just an idea. And yeah, I know you love them to be these old, sometimes obscure games from your childhood, but they won't draw in nearly as much people as a more popular N64 game could.

I'm sorry, but the next challenge needs to be an N64 game. You'll get much more contenders if it is.

Ideas:

• DeathBasket's boss rush hack
  • Star Fox 64(who can get the most points on whichever route?)
  • Super Smash Bros. 64(who can survive the longest under certain conditions?)

Just an idea. And yeah, I know you love them to be these old, sometimes obscure games from your childhood, but they won't draw in nearly as much people as a more popular N64 game could.

First of all, I wanted these community challenges to be retro games that I played/knew about that existed during my childhood. The N64, while epic, is not a retro system. Not yet anyways.

Now, there is another, albeit the main reason why I don't wish to use N64 games, and why I have been using games on consoles such as the NES/SNES, and SMS/SMD-GEN. These systems have perfect emulation and don't require an extremely high-end PC to run anywhere near perfectly. N64 emulation tends to be quite choppy, and unstable. While there are people who do have an original N64 console, there are still those who no longer do, and I don't want to put them out. I remember speaking over this with Secant, and he understood my reasoning. The N64 has a lot of great games, but unless there is a magical emulator that runs games perfectly, with no slowdown whatsoever, it will not be feasible to do. However, that said, I will be putting forth some of the more known games of the retro era as future challenges.

On another note, N64 ROMs are too large in filesize. :P

Ideas:

• DeathBasket's boss rush hack
  • Star Fox 64(who can get the most points on whichever route?)
  • Super Smash Bros. 64(who can survive the longest under certain conditions?)
First of all, I wanted these community challenges to be retro games that I played/knew about that existed during my childhood. The N64, while epic, is not a retro system. Not yet anyways.

Now, there is another, albeit the main reason why I don't wish to use N64 games, and why I have been using games on consoles such as the NES/SNES, and SMS/SMD-GEN. These systems have perfect emulation and don't require an extremely high-end PC to run anywhere near perfectly. N64 emulation tends to be quite choppy, and unstable. While there are people who do have an original N64 console, there are still those who no longer do, and I don't want to put them out. I remember speaking over this with Secant, and he understood my reasoning. The N64 has a lot of great games, but unless there is a magical emulator that runs games perfectly, with no slowdown whatsoever, it will not be feasible to do. However, that said, I will be putting forth some of the more known games of the retro era as future challenges.

From what I gather, tons of people here are able to emulate N64 just fine(actually, almost everyone I see around here), and it most certainly does not require a high-end PC. And I honestly consider N64 retro, since it's now three generations old old has aged quite a lot.

Also, you don't have to supply the N64 ROMs, either; everyone here knows where to get them, or may already have them(if it was a challenge for DeathBasket's boss rush like I suggested, it's as simple as providing a download for his patch, because everyone here and their mom, dog, and the atoms that make them up have a copy of the debug ROM).

But hey, you seem to have your mind set on this, so okay. I was just trying to help.

And out of curiosity, say if someone wanted to hold their own community challenge(for those that want to test people on games of their choosing, too), would that be allowed? Not saying I'll hold one, it just seems like it wouldn't be allowed, and I would like confirmation.

Anyways, I need sleep. Night.

Sent from my cell phone, because ancient satellites from across the cosmic web are lame.

Ideas:

[*]DeathBasket's boss rush hack

[*]Star Fox 64(who can get the most points on whichever route?)

[*]Super Smash Bros. 64(who can survive the longest under certain conditions?)

From what I gather, tons of people here are able to emulate N64 just fine(actually, almost everyone I see around here), and it most certainly does not require a high-end PC. And I honestly consider N64 retro, since it's now three generations old old has aged quite a lot.

Also, you don't have to supply the N64 ROMs, either; everyone here knows where to get them, or may already have them(if it was a challenge for DeathBasket's boss rush like I suggested, it's as simple as providing a download for his patch, because everyone here and their mom, dog, and the atoms that make them up have a copy of the debug ROM).

But hey, you seem to have your mind set on this, so okay. I was just trying to help.

And out of curiosity, say if someone wanted to hold their own community challenge(for those that want to test people on games of their choosing, too), would that be allowed? Not saying I'll hold one, it just seems like it wouldn't be allowed, and I would like confirmation.

Anyways, I need sleep. Night.

There's a difference between fine and perfect, my friend. =P

Anyway, regardless, if someone wants to hold their own challenge, they can, but only admins and staff can create a topic in this area. It would need to be requested, and would not be an official community challenge.

Also, since you feel so strongly about it, I may hold a couple of N64 challenges... but not just yet. =P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.