Columns

Shadow Fire

ColumnsTitle.png

Gamemaster: Shadow Fire

Posted Image

REMAINING TIME

Posted Image

You are all hereby challenged to play Columns for the SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis. Considered by many to be a Tetris knock-off, Columns went down a slightly different path. Instead of trying to make entire lines, you are attempting to match three or more gems of the same colour in a row. The blocks come down in a column of three at a time, and you must decide where to place them, and how. This game puts your patience and endurance to the test, as there is no true end to the game, until you lose, which happens once you hit the top of the screen (yeah, like Tetris).

Posted Image

CONTENTS

The download pack will contain the following:

[*]Columns [*]A copy of the rules and some info [*]A text file, titled after the game game, for you to record your time and score, as well as the date of completion, and any comments you may have for the game

You may need an emulator that can run SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis games. You can find two good ones in the download system.

Posted Image

RULES

There will be a few rules in place to allow for a fair go:

[*]You must last as long as you can in one full run. You only have ONE chance, so don't mess up. [*]The clock must be initiated upon pressing START, stopping once you receive a GAME OVER. [*]No save states are to be used. [*]You must play ARCADE Mode, although you can choose your handicap. Bonus points will be given to those who compete in HARD. [*]For those of you with the ability to do so, you may record footage of your play. Either use a capture card, PC recording software, or even Livestream Procaster (provided you have a livestream.com account). However, inability to do so will not necessarily penalise you. [*]As each game is totally randomised, and is a test of luck, skill and endurance, you are permitted to view videos of gameplay, as well as viewing the original instruction manuals, which can be found online. [*]Sound must be enabled, and playing clearly for you. For the best experience, the music and sounds are necessary. [*]External controllers are permitted, to make things easier (or harder, depending on your setup). In addition, this game was ported to multiple consoles. If you own it on any of them (Wii Virtual Console, PS2, PSP, PS3 and Xbox 360), or even own it on the original console (SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis), you may play it on that system. Otherwise, you can download the necessary files on this site. [*]Do not post your records here. Instead, send me a PM with the provided text files, subject name being Columns Challenge.

The community challenge will have a deadline: 10:00PM on May 29, 2013 (Australian Eastern Standard Time). You can use an online timezone converter to find out when exactly that is in your timezone, or simply look at the provided countdown timer above.

Posted Image

PRIZE

The person with the longest overall time, and highest overall score will be awarded with a prize, an item under $20 from the official GCN Spreadshirt Shop, as well as being awarded with the Achievement for winning the challenge.

Posted Image

CONTENDERS

[*]Mellow Manbuilt [*]xdaniel [*]cdogwashere [*]Secant [*]Colonel Medo [*]giadrosich [*]Gump

Posted Image

DOWNLOAD

To download the pack and get started, click here. Download, and enjoy! Good luck!

• Like 1

I would play, but I don't feel like it.  :lol:

I have a few suggestions though for next time;

Nintendo world championships

Mario 1, 2 or 3

Mario the lost levels(all-stars)

Metroid

DK country.

Zelda (1 or 2)

Sorry if this list is a bit biased, I'm a Nintendo guy.

I would play, but I don't feel like it. :lol:I have a few suggestions though for next time;Nintendo world championshipsMario 1, 2 or 3Mario the lost levels(all-stars)MetroidDK country.Zelda (1 or 2)Sorry if this list is a bit biased, I'm a Nintendo guy.

Heheh, most of those games take too long to finish in a full playthrough. Also, the games I choose for challenges are those which I have fond memories of playing in my younger days.

What I meant was;

Nintendo world championships - Total points from completing game

Mario 1, 2 or 3 - Amount of points from first* level

Mario the lost levels(all-stars) - Amount of points from first* level

Metroid - Time it takes to get first few upgrades*

DK country - Time it takes to complete first* level

Zelda (1 or 2) Time it takes to complete first* level

Where's the competition, guys? I mean seriously, there's a chance to win prizes that cost money. Real physical items, and all you have to do is download the challenge pack and load it up in an emulator and record your time. It's like, no time at all out of your life, and it is fucking fun, too,

All of this...
  • Like 1

I can't even beat the computer highest score!

There's some kind of subconcious conditioning within me that keeps pushing me to form L-shaped jewel connections in the hope they'll combine and pop.

If you ever get that Megaman X3 challenge up again, I'm in.

I can't even beat the computer highest score!

There's some kind of subconcious conditioning within me that keeps pushing me to form L-shaped jewel connections in the hope they'll combine and pop.

If you ever get that Megaman X3 challenge up again, I'm in.

You should still contend, regardless of if you can beat the computer's score. I mean, there's one contender. Just one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.