Voyager of Time [COMPLETE]

giadrosich

Super awesome update yeah!

YES_zpsb0588e80.png

I have Tael!

Do you know how long it took me to find THIS page: http://wiki.spinout182.com/w/Code_notes

Entirely too long. Google searches did nothing, neither did searches on the wiki bring up this page. My god. I was so happy to figure this out.

For future people who might want to know this:

How to change Navi's colours in OOT

Sakura89's documentation on offsets in ROM:

00B8D134 - Navi's normal colour00B8D144 - NPC's00B8D14C - enemies00B8D154 - signs, gossip stones00B8D15C - checkable spots00B8D16C - bosses

I have changed the style around and here's the colours I'm using for Tael.

(Body/Transparency/Halo around body)

Normal Flying Body: 4E00C2  FF FF0000 (pictured above)
NPC: 0000FF  FF  0080FF (dark blue)
Enemies/Bosses: CC0000 FF FFCC00 (red-also changes z targeting to red)
Signs/scarecrow spots/ect:  007000 FF 00CC00 (dark green)

Tael is adorable! I was always a little upset that he wasn't the one to accompany Link into the Moon in Majora's Mask since it would have given him some well-needed character development, but ah well. I hope you fix that missed opportunity then, haha!

I'm hoping to give him a little more development. I can't do much, but I'll try. XD

Need opinions on tunic colours. Was thinking of changing 'em to just be something different to look at.

EDIT: 3/9/2013 Tunic colours have been decided on, so be sure to look out for them!

tuniccolours_zpsce6a931d.png

As for Tael, Majora's Mask did a wonderful job with developing Tatl through her enemy observations. They weren't just plain "by the books" as Navi was. Changing the "Navi" text in all manners would be your best bet and add a bit of characterization to describing the enemies and I think you could really develop his character well.

As for Tunics...It always bothered me that Young Link could not equip the different tunics. It always made no sense to me from a gameplay perspective (story perspective he didn't have them yet, assumedly). Yes they wouldn't do him any good. But since your mod is about using Link and Young Link seemingly in equal fashion I would suggest making all tunics available to both of them. 

That is of course unless you planned for those timed deaths with Young Link and you need to make short burst trips into the Fire Temple with Young Link to survive.

As for Tael, Majora's Mask did a wonderful job with developing Tatl through her enemy observations. They weren't just plain "by the books" as Navi was. Changing the "Navi" text in all manners would be your best bet and add a bit of characterization to describing the enemies and I think you could really develop his character well.

As for Tunics...It always bothered me that Young Link could not equip the different tunics. It always made no sense to me from a gameplay perspective (story perspective he didn't have them yet, assumedly). Yes they wouldn't do him any good. But since your mod is about using Link and Young Link seemingly in equal fashion I would suggest making all tunics available to both of them. 

That is of course unless you planned for those timed deaths with Young Link and you need to make short burst trips into the Fire Temple with Young Link to survive.

I didn't actually realize that Link would be able to use the tunics! I'll have to put that in, thanks for the suggestion!

I thought the "by the books" attitude fit Navi well. She was taught by the Deku Tree, and was like a teacher's pet IMO.

Oh don't get me wrong. It fits Navi very well who I feel has a very proper "strict school teacher" like personality. Tatl on the other hand was very much a teenager in how improper and loose she was with her language and observations. Tael, I had always imagined as a youngish kid who was too frightened to oppose Skull Kid and so when he saw the opportunity to try and help, he took it. I think in Majora's Mask Tatl says something along the lines of Tael "wouldn't know what to do without her." So I kind of always saw her as a bossy older sister to a timid younger brother.

i have to say this is one of the most promising mods ive come across on this site. All very good work, I cant wait to see this actually released.One small nitpick, in the trailer Malons dialoge was very sad, yet she still has that happy smile on her face..... it looked strange. You should probably change her mouth texture.

i have to say this is one of the most promising mods ive come across on this site. All very good work, I cant wait to see this actually released.One small nitpick, in the trailer Malons dialoge was very sad, yet she still has that happy smile on her face..... it looked strange. You should probably change her mouth texture.

I was thinking the same thing.

Progress update!

Got a good chunk of text done and it has nice strains of an overarching storyline in it. At least I hope it does. XD

And here's a demonstration of Tael's colours he'll have, as well as a revamped enemy description. Yep, Tael's words are pink/purple.

collage_zps69e79232.png

And teaser pic! (yeah, spacing is a bit wonky, deal)

secret_zps12d85173.png

Yay, I can post! Progress update 2/28/13.

Found something interesting in the market. Epona's object is there.

eponainmarket_zpsb98f8b93.png

Thought it was funky.

fileselect_zpsbf62ae3a.png

I'll be using the right one, but thought the left one looked really cool.

ranch3_zps1c277850.png

Enjoy riding this guy around for a little bit. (only in the ranch though) I wish I could give users the ability to actually choose this horse.

EDIT:

DOGGY_zpse3e2ce9f.png

Go on a grand adventure across Hyrule field with your doggie friend!

Also, sort of a mini website for the hack I've made: http://lionofjudah6.wix.com/zeldavoyageroftime Nothing too fancy, but thought it would be a good holding place for the patch when I do release it.

Loving everything here : the Tael colors, riding another horse, the doggie friend... I think the left file selection menu looks cool, too. You got good taste, don't you think you should make this mod bigger than "just" a complete modification ? Or maybe you plan to do another mod later ?

Loving everything here : the Tael colors, riding another horse, the doggie friend... I think the left file selection menu looks cool, too. You got good taste, don't you think you should make this mod bigger than "just" a complete modification ? Or maybe you plan to do another mod later ?

Voyager is my own experiment into what I can do and learn. I didn't know anything about how modding worked two or three weeks ago. With help from people, I'm trying to build my skills up to a level that I feel is comfortable. Yes, I would like to do my own dungeons, but my skills aren't there yet. I accept the fact that I can't do everything though. I'm enjoying playing off the original style of the game, while making my own story become alive as best I can. With time, I might be able to make something like Zelda's Birthday with original dungeons and all that, but that won't be on this mod. This mod is concentration on storyline and route progression--taking what people know and skewing it into a different light.

I want people to play my mod not for the dungeons, but for the storyline and the overall mood of the game. I don't want to try and make this complete new game, because I would run into walls concerning my own skill level, and then the mod would never be done. By sticking with what is familiar, and building on my knowledge bit by bit, I can also build on the game if need be. Instead of starting out saying "hey, original dungeons, let's go!", I would become increasingly frustrated and not be able to do anything.

Voyager is the project I can work on with what I know at the moment. I've been unable to incorporate some ideas that I've had, but I've also been able to use the help of other people's more advanced skills to put into the hack what I think would really work. Take the Tael colours for example--at first I was going to have people pretend that Navi is Tael, but then I learned how to change the colours. I was thus able to make the text in the game be a bit more specific and in part, make the story more tight. Same thing with the hammer idea I had.

Another example is the hammer. To counteract my problems of not knowing how to make the hammer visible as Child Link, I incorporated the idea of it being cursed--which brought me to another problem. How was I going to have it cursed? I then solved that problem by asking for help from people more skilled in that area--I was able to keep my idea, as well as give players an extra depth to the story.

So this mod has indeed become so much different than it started. Mainly because I've learned more in the process. I've given myself a release date on it too, mainly because I have a problem of always wanting to add more. By setting up a date, I am able to concentrate on the important things in the hack--story and route first, dungeons second. I'm constantly tightening the story arch I have going on in the game, and if I don't give myself a date, it'll never be finished. I'm like the chef who always wants to add more to the soup--you have to know when to stop. I know I have to stop at a certain point, because then it'll just feel wrong otherwise.

Sorry for the long response, but it was a rambling thought process. To sum up: In the future I might do custom dungeons, but it won't be in this mod. And I can't say yay or nay to a second mod until this one is done and released.

Progress update:

Made the graveyard block a TON better than the stupid blocks inside the grave. Now it's a bit more obvious what you need, and you don't have to enter the graveyard to realize it.

graveyard_zpsacaff7c1.png

Also, look forward to seeing some Deku Tree footage! Actual gameplay, wow, what a concept! XD

You're welcome, and thanks!

Here we go! First preview of the first dungeon!

The Deku Tree's puzzles have been moved around and are legitimately challenging in some areas.

God-Dam!!!, its like Super Masters Quest!

Link's gotta be a bad-ass to get through your mod, but by your story line he's already defeated Ganon once's before. So link starts out as a bad-ass in his own way already. but man, this has my blood boiling, this is the kinda challenge I've been looking for. ;)

Great Job!!! :D

Looks interesting, but one question will it be the same bosses like before? if not will they be more difficult than before?

Yeah, it's gonna have to have the same bosses. My skills aren't at that sort of level. If you read up a bit, you can see really what to expect out of the hack. As I said above, I'm really hoping people will play for the story, not necessarily the dungeons.

Yeah, it's gonna have to have the same bosses. My skills aren't at that sort of level. If you read up a bit, you can see really what to expect out of the hack. As I said above, I'm really hoping people will play for the story, not necessarily the dungeons.

Well i read most of your post and i know your skill (you said it before) i was just asking becuse of the new challange/story you gave the game so i was just tinking if you made the bosses more difficult than before like adding some minions who support the bosses or iincrease the damage/life of the bosses or may change the boss room like adding fire/freeze damage or something to make it more difficult. I was just asking this because i saw the Deku Tree trailer. 

• Like 1

Well i read most of your post and i know your skill (you said it before) i was just asking becuse of the new challange/story you gave the game so i was just tinking if you made the bosses more difficult than before like adding some minions who support the bosses or iincrease the damage/life of the bosses or may change the boss room like adding fire/freeze damage or something to make it more difficult. I was just asking this because i saw the Deku Tree trailer. 

It would be cool, but it's not the priority. I can certainly tuck the suggestion away though! :)

Man, giadrosich, this mod is looking superb. I'm going to take a jab at your backstory:

• This game takes place after Link vanquishes the plight of Majora from Termina and returns to Hyrule.
  • ...as such, Tael joins him on his third adventure.
  • Considering he actually hasn't ventured through the five Hyrulean Temples, they should be in tact, bosses and all.
  • In the Child Timeline, Phantom Ganon, Volvagia, Morpha, Bongo Bongo, and Twinrova could all appear if Ganondorf seizes power (broken door of time, hmm?)
  • Not sure why Link would need to venture through the Great Deku Tree again. I'm also not sure if you're considering Dodongo's Cavern and Jabu Jabu's Belly to have been completed before the time that Link was sent back to or not. If so, then they would be redundant as well. These three dungeons would be the only ones you would ever really need to replace if you deemed new dungeons viable.
  • I'm thinking Fierce Deity should appear ;)
  • The Ganon's Tower ruins at Lon Lon Ranch suggests that when Link drew the Master Sword after returning to Termina (and presumably sleeping for another seven years), Ganon rose to power once more and erected his keep in Lon Lon Ranch and the area surrounding it. He was either defeated during those seven years, or that is where the climax of the game takes place, after which Link finally gives in and settles down with Malon to form the ancestry of the Ordon people.
  • Considering the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess is this same Link, might we see anything suggesting his fate? Perhaps Link loses an eye in this game. Perhaps his third tunic is actually a model swap and he bears N64-quality "Golden Owl Armor" as he was seen to wear in death! Would be pretty coooool.
  • The Black Tunic was probably just black for the sake of being black, but I'm certain with your penchant for changing the story and expanding on smaller components of lore (such as the NPCs) that we'll get a fair explanation for his new dark garbs. Perhaps they are granted to him by Sheik? Sheikah Tunic. Shadow Tunic. Who knows? Maybe he can turn invisible while wearing it (at the expense of magic)—which could use the Dark Link transparent texture for effect.

And that's all I have for now. I'm terribly interested in your project and I fully anticipate its progress and release! Cheers!

edit: Just read your overview on the minisite. Confirms several things I brought up. Oh well, hooray!

So Adult Link's Hyrule will actually look like Ganon blew through and tore the land up, yeah? Hyrule Field (with IRON KNUCKLES!) will be far more dangerous than before. Perhaps even the grass of the field has been killed; maybe the field has been rendered a wasteland. Trees and bushes are lifeless, some crackling with fire. Dust billows through Hyrule Field (you could use the Haunted Wasteland's Sandstorm) and the faint silhouettes of menacing Lizalfos, Wolfos, and Stalfos dance atop the crests of the once-green hills. Horses could parade through Hyrule Field when you're a kid, but once you're an adult, death has strewn the land.

Just suggestions!

There are some really interesting ideas in here, some which I myself wouldn't be able to incorporate...

As of course you read on the website, Tael has an implied adventure with Link before Voyager of Time, so they're pretty familiar with each other.

There actually is a reason why you go through the child dungeons again, though you don't go through them in a...traditional sense...shall we say. I don't want to spoil anything on that front. I'm trying to work on it not being too forced so it'll feel natural to go through them storyline wise.

As for FD Link...yeah, not really sure how I'd put him in.

I really like your last three speculations. And as cool as I'd like to say the final battle takes place at Lon Lon, alas, I don't know how to do that. It's a bit misleading because I'm using Ganon castle rubble, but there is a reason for the destruction. There doesn't seem to be any other rubble available in the game, so it's what I've got to work with. :/ Sorry if hopes were high on that.

Hero's Shade...not really going to touch on that at the moment. I do have an overarching storyline that has sort of a...tragic side to it. I have no way of having Link lose an eye, so that won't be seen (no pun intended), I can say that.

The video quality for the Deku Tree just makes the tunic look black. It's actually a very dark green. I think on page two of this thread you'll see the tunic colours in better light. But I do have a reason for them, though they aren't a huge plot point.

Thanks for the speculations, I enjoy seeing what people are thinking of this mod. I know people don't have much to go on, I'm trying to keep this thing under wraps as much as possible storyline-wise. Obviously, people need a reason to actually play the game, but I don't want to reveal stuff too early on.

Edit: Just noticed your edit with Hyrule Field and ganon's tower rubble. Good speculation on that front. *grin*

Progress Update:

cavern_zps0ef49b24.png

Dodongo's Cavern is a thorn in my side, seriously. There's not much I could do with it, and what I did is kinda of meh. Though, it does have one redeeming factor--there's a very well-hidden item in it, and I have added a few puzzles where there weren't any before.

cavern1_zps856a3326.png

Progress Update Edit:

Have also made the Fire Temple less offensive with its puzzles. You actually do have to search for the boss key now, and I've changed the flow of the temple very nicely. Added some nice touches here and there, nothing too major. Mainly going after using the space the temple gives you, even though the interns at Nintendo didn't use one half of the temple. No pictures here, because I don't want to spoil locations of some things.

I've gotten some custom music submissions for the temples. AnimatixReels (from GCN) and James Harris (from youtube) have sent in some music.

Animatix is working on Deku Tree and Forest Temple

James Harris has sent in a very nice rendition of the Spirit Temple which can be heard here: https://soundcloud.com/jharr-music/oot-spirit-temple/s-t7RSj

I'm going for a celtic flair to the music as best I can. And I'm not sure how to import custom music, that will have to be done by someone I think.

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.