Sonic SMS

Shadow Fire

SonicSMSChallengeTitle.png

Gamemaster: Shadow Fire

Posted Image

REMAINING TIME

Posted Image

You are all hereby challenged to play the Sega Master System versions of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2. It is hard to find many people who haven't played these games, and it is even rarer to find people who don't know of Sonic the Hedgehog. The Sonic games were originally released on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis, and were remade for the Master System, but had a total overhaul. Sporting 8-bit graphics as opposed to their 16-bit counterparts, these games pitted you, as Sonic, against Doctor Eggman (Robotnik in the US/EU region) in an attempt to save the land and your friends. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 brought Miles "Tails" Prower to the 8-bit world, and had you trying to save him after his kidnapping.

Posted Image

CONTENTS

The download pack will contain the following:

[*]Sonic the Hedgehog [*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 [*]A copy of the rules and some info [*]2 text files, titled after their respective game, for you to record your time and score, as well as the date of completion, and any comments you may have for each game

You will need an emulator that can run SEGA Master System games. You can find two good ones in the download system.

Posted Image

RULES

There will be a few rules in place to allow for a fair go:

[*]You must complete both games. Each game must be completed in a full, single run, for a total of 2 runs. Upon completion of each run, you must record the time it took you to complete that run, as well as your final score, and the amount of Chaos Emeralds you collected. [*]The clock must be initiated upon pressing START, stopping only once the game's credits finish. [*]No save states are to be used. [*]You must make each playthrough a legitimate run. No glitches are to be used. I will know if glitches are used. [*]Extra lives can be found all throughout the zones, as well as when you collect 100 rings. You are permitted to collect as many lives as possible (without the aid of a cheat system), and should you run out of lives, you may use a Continue, provided you have any. If you don't, and you receive a GAME OVER, you must start from the beginning, but the clock must still be counting. [*]No game guides are permitted to be used, aside from the original instruction manuals which can be found online. [*]Sound must be enabled, and playing clearly for you. For the best experience, the music and sounds are necessary. [*]External controllers are permitted, to make things easier (or harder, depending on your setup). [*]Do not post your records here. Instead, send me a PM with the provided text files, subject name being Sonic SMS Challenge.

The community challenge will have a deadline: 10:00PM on May 15, 2013 (Australian Eastern Standard Time). You can use an online timezone converter to find out when exactly that is in your timezone, or simply look at the provided countdown timer above.

Posted Image

PRIZE

The person with the fastest overall time, and highest overall score will be awarded with a prize, an item under $20 from the official GCN Spreadshirt Shop, as well as being awarded with the Achievement for winning the challenge.

Posted Image

CONTENDERS

No contenders at this time...

Posted Image

DOWNLOAD

To download the pack and get started, click here. Download, and enjoy! Good luck!

If the challenge was Sonic 1 and 2 MD, I'd be on this right away... I might still try this, but I could never get beyond Jungle Zone in Sonic 1 nor... Underground Zone in Sonic 2.

Well, could be a reason to tackle them again, huh? Don't count me in yet, but I'll think about it :P

As great as those games are, Sonic 1 & 2 MD are overplayed, and overshadow the SMS versions. The point of these challenges is not only to have fun and compete, but to do so while playing games I grew up with.

Also, Jungle Zone is quite the bitch... and it just gets harder from there, but to have not completed Underground Zone? Wow... that zone was easy compared to Green Hills (not to be confused with Green Hill).

As great as those games are, Sonic 1 & 2 MD are overplayed, and overshadow the SMS versions. The point of these challenges is not only to have fun and compete, but to do so while playing games I grew up with.

Also, Jungle Zone is quite the bitch... and it just gets harder from there, but to have not completed Underground Zone? Wow... that zone was easy compared to Green Hills (not to be confused with Green Hill).

You're right the overplayed aspect, the MD Sonic games are pretty much the ones people remember when they think "retro Sonic games", I'd guess 2 and 3&K in particular.

And it's been some time since I tried Sonic 2 SMS, so I can't really remember why I didn't get past Underground Zone. Maybe I just gave up thinking "This isn't Sonic 2!" (meaning the MD game in 8-bit) or something - of course it is Sonic 2, just a different one.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to say so, but I can't get passed Jungle act 2 in Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and Sky High act 1 in Sonic the hedgehog 2 (especially not that one), which means that I'm out :(. (I was never good at jump n' run...). Just like Blinxie though, I will be taking part in the next challenge, no matter what that one is :P.

Sorry to say so, but I can't get passed Jungle act 2 in Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and Sky High act 1 in Sonic the hedgehog 2 (especially not that one), which means that I'm out :(. (I was never good at jump n' run...). Just like Blinxie though, I will be taking part in the next challenge, no matter what that one is :P.

I'm guessing Jungle Act 2 because of the vertical scroll programming, and Sky High 1 because of the hang-glider? Well, Jungle Act 2 is just a matter of trying to not overjump/underjump, while Sky High Zone's hang-gliders are easy to use once you know how. I'll teach you how to use them:

• Approach hang-glider at running speed.
  • Upon grabbing it and moving off the cliff-face, tap Left every second or so.
  • Just keep going until you reach the end.

I'm guessing Jungle Act 2 because of the vertical scroll programming, and Sky High 1 because of the hang-glider? Well, Jungle Act 2 is just a matter of trying to not overjump/underjump, while Sky High Zone's hang-gliders are easy to use once you know how. I'll teach you how to use them:

• Approach hang-glider at running speed.
  • Upon grabbing it and moving off the cliff-face, tap Left every second or so.
  • Just keep going until you reach the end.

Thanks, I'll try it out immediately. :D