OOT Hack: Sequel to MM/Prequel to TP Updated 3/15/14 (Unnamed)

NoSkinnedKoopa

Update 3/15/14: Progress has resumed of this date, and date of most recent update can be found in the name of the thread and at the bottom of this post. 

Also: Early posts of this thread had to do with hacking Majora's Mask, which is what I wanted to do in the past. I now want to hack OOT and create my own expansion of it, such as other projects on this forum.

Update 10/17/13: I was thinking about just not doing this, but it could be fun for me to do in my spare time. I am changing the story, and making it an OOT hack and not a MM hack. Here 's what I am planning to have so far:

*New Story

*Brand New and Recreated Dungeons (with maybe some new rooms as well.)

*New and Returning Areas, Hyrule is way more expanded (Somewhat as big as Twilight Princess' Hyrule Field.)

*New Cutscenes for the new story

*New Shield Design for Link (I call it the "Deku Hylian Shield" which is for teenagers, and Link is at that age now.)

*New NPCs/Enemies/Bosses? (Bosses are still very hard to program, but as for NPCs, I really want Groose. :P)

I can't wait to start this project, I just learned a little of sketchup and I love to hack!

Story Intro (Not Final)

*Opening OOT-like Scene with Link sleeping on a bed seen from an overhead view*
"...This legend begins with a boy who saved the world... Who saved it twice, from an evil king and a meteoric moon. This boy is also a great friend, he befriended another boy who was depressed and had no friends. The heroic boy told his friend about his "long-lost partner" and the two decided to set out through the world searching for the partner of that boy. Little did the friends know, they would become true brothers and face the hardest challenges of their lives side by side." Link immediately wakes up as Skull Kid breaks into his room. "Link! You won't believe this! You won't believe this!" Link stands up, surprised. "Link... I think I found Hyrule! If we're gonna find that friend of yours, might as well start from the bottom, right? Come on! I'll show you!" Skull Kid runs outside the room, as Link follows him outside. The treehouse of Link and Skull Kid is located deep among the Lost Woods, between the borders of Hyrule and Termina. Epona is at the bottom, eating some grass near the tree. When Link and Skull Kid climb to the top of the tree, Skull Kid points North. "There! Isn't that Death Mountain? You can also see a big blue spec! That must be Lake Hylia! We should make haste right away!" Link and Skull Kid then rush down to their room, getting their belongings. Such as Link's Kokiri Sword and Deku Shield. They both jump on Epona and proceed forward. As they proceed North, the sky starts to turn orange and Skull Kid feels something wrong. "Link, I smell smoke, I think we should go back to the treeho-" BOOM! A ball from a catapult lands and explodes near Epona. Link and Skull Kid are then thrown off of Epona harshly. Link and Skull Kid then get up on their feet. "L-Link... Are you okay? Epona freaked out and ran away, let's go find her!" Link and Skull Kid then gasp as they hear a lot of soldiers yelling. Several cannonballs then land near them. "Link! We gotta take shelter! Over here!" As Link runs towards Skull Kid and the sheltered spot he found, a huge, thick tree covered in flames falls between them. When the tree fell, Link was very close to it and was thrown back from the impact when the tree fell. Link landed hard, and got knocked out. Skull Kid yelled, "LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNKKKKK!" Link closes his eyes as a couple of soldiers run to him. The screen goes black, and Link wakes up in a bed at Hyrule Castle. Zelda is at the side of the bed, and greets Link. "Link! Tee-hee! I knew you'd be okay! It's been awhile since you left to Termina, huh?" It has been a few years, and Zelda has grown into a beautiful teenager princess. Link gasps in awe as he looks at Zelda, much more attractive then he remembers. Link then realizes he had lost his friend and gets worried. Zelda wonders why. "Link? Are you okay? Don't worry, we found Epona and she is in the Castle Stables. ... What? A friend of yours got separated from you after you blacked out? Sorry Link, but all I saw were soldiers carrying you from the battlegrounds. Then, I told them to bring you in the castle since you are a friend of the Royal Family. I can tell Daddy to send the soldiers to look for your friend. Impa!" Impa comes. "Yes Princess Zelda?" Zelda replies, "Please tell my Father that one of Link's friends are still in the battlegrounds, and for the soldiers to find him." "I shall address the King immediately." "Thank you Impa. Anyway, Link, I need to tell you something important. As you can see, or remember, our wonderful land of Hyrule is at war! Just a few days ago, an army of monsters started attacking Kakariko Village, then came to Hyrule Field and spread out across the land to attack nearby places! Luckily, all the villagers fled unharmed, and soldiers came out immediately to stop them! But now, they keep attacking! Once you've had enough rest, I want you to find out where the enemy is coming from and if possible, stop it! Oh please Link! Our wonderful Hyrule is at stake, and our soldier supply is low! Link, the fate of Hyrule rests on your hands." *Intro Finished.*

Most Recent Update: 3/15/14

Would be a lot less stressful...

But there are many timed events in the game that really wouldn't make sense without the time limit. Particularly with sidequests.

But if you manage to find a way to make everything work, then it would be a pretty cool idea.

Also, Shigeru Miyamoto mentioned something about buying time early on in the games development. That could also be a cool thing to see rather than a complete removal of the time limit.

• Like 1

Would be a lot less stressful...But there are many timed events in the game that really wouldn't make sense without the time limit. Particularly with sidequests.But if you manage to find a way to make everything work, then it would be a pretty cool idea.Also, Shigeru Miyamoto mentioned something about buying time early on in the games development. That could also be a cool thing to see rather than a complete removal of the time limit.

Yeah, that's what I also was planning to do, is to edit all the quests/sidequests to make them go along with the alternate story. And maybe edit a few more things as well. And what do you mean by buying time? Using rupees to freeze time for awhile or something?

Try using this code. I don't know if I can patch it yet. 81382502 0000

I'll be able to test that on Saturday or Sunday. Thanks!

Apparently that was the case. What I read was there was supposed to be someone who could reverse time based on the number of rupees you gave him. Possibly other items since you would be able to go fishing and catch the fish in a bottle, it seems you could possibly give this character something like the loach, and he would reverse time, stop time, or whatever depending on the value of the item. That also makes me assume that the beggar used as the bank was probably that person, just because that was his function in OoT, except he gave you rupees. Again, this is all just my speculation based on what I've read and thought of, so it's most likely not exactly how it was meant to be.

Hmm... That does sound interesting, although I think the time removed all together would be a better choice. If not so, who and where could this person be? What if you're in dungeon? It would seem tedious to return to the person most of time, if you were someone like me the time limit is so stressful that I would visit that person for the majority of the game.

Yes, freezing time would be like the time limit repeating over and over to the point where the time is infinite. (Which is what I want.) Although, sidequests with time-related events such as someone saying: "Hey come back tomorrow," would not work since it would be the same day not changing because the time is infinite. And other events like those 5 boys who won't let you pass in Clock Town at the beginning of the game unless you find them before the next morning would actually be easier because you'll have infinite time to find them all. Which actually makes me think, when I test that code posted here, will that still cause day and night to change or would it be daytime the whole time? I'll have to see tonight when I test that code.

Although, sidequests with time-related events such as someone saying: "Hey come back tomorrow," would not work since it would be the same day not changing because the time is infinite. And other events like those 5 boys who won't let you pass in Clock Town at the beginning of the game unless you find them before the next morning would actually be easier because you'll have infinite time to find them all.

Well, you could then set a timer after starting a timed event. The only only problem I could think of is that then there'd be a visible timer.

Actually I wouldn't mind having a visible timer if the music is sped up or some silly music is playing like when you have to catch those bunnies in Super Mario Galaxy. Also, I'd prefer to have infinite when playing hide and seek with those boys. Maybe I'll put em in different places or something.

I think the idea of a Majora's Mask mod would be great. The OoT Debug ROM has allot of mods for it already. I wonder if we could use the Master Quest Debug Rom to make mods like this in the future... I'd like to see the story change a little bit. Glad someone posted this topic, I've been quite curious on how to remove the "time limit" in game my self. Sorry for bringing this up, I know its a little bit off topic but Didn't Zeth mentioned that Cen made a code for Wareya in a different post for that for getting rid of the time in game?

EDIT: I mean Majora's Mask Debug ROM to make mods in the future. My bad.

Time Limit Removal made by Wareya (or Cen?): http://z64.spinout182.com/index.php/topic,66.0.html

With many, many, many thanks to cen, I've finally made it so that if you end day 2 while playing MM, you go to day 1. I did this because the three day limit messed up hacking, and because having the object sets of multiple days (even just two) would make things more interesting.

I only have it for a decompressed debug ROM.

http://filebin.ca/wevufu/zmm_dbg_dec_noday3.ips

Assembler code as it looks in renegade:

.ORG 8016DA98J asdfNOPasm:.ORG 800A219Casdf:ADDIU V0, V0, 0xFFFE // Add -2 to the current day numberBEQZ V0, daytwo // if (current_day_no == 2) goto daytwo; else goto daytwo;NOPnotdaytwo:ADDIU V0, V0, 0x0002 // V0 += 2ADDIU T7, V0, 0X0001 // T7 = V0 + 1SW T7, 0X0018(V1) // (*(u16*)(V0 + 0x0018)) = T7J ASM // return;NOPdaytwo:ADDIU V0, V0, 0x0002 // Restore V0 back to holding the current day numberADDIU T7, V0, 0XFFFF // T7 = V0 - 1SW T7, 0X0018(V1) // (*(u16*)(V0 + 0x0018)) = T7J ASM // return;NOP
I copied it to ROM by hand.

The URL for the patch is broken so I'll teach you how to patch it at a later time. You can find details about the hack if you follow the link to the original post.
  • Like 1

Yes, freezing time would be like the time limit repeating over and over to the point where the time is infinite. (Which is what I want.) Although, sidequests with time-related events such as someone saying: "Hey come back tomorrow," would not work since it would be the same day not changing because the time is infinite. And other events like those 5 boys who won't let you pass in Clock Town at the beginning of the game unless you find them before the next morning would actually be easier because you'll have infinite time to find them all. Which actually makes me think, when I test that code posted here, will that still cause day and night to change or would it be daytime the whole time? I'll have to see tonight when I test that code.

But wouldn't stuff like that work similar to how it did in OoT? For example when you get the egg and it hatches the next morning or when you have to wait 6 days for the Giants knife? Or is MM that different that it wouldnt work?

But wouldn't stuff like that work similar to how it did in OoT? For example when you get the egg and it hatches the next morning or when you have to wait 6 days for the Giants knife? Or is MM that different that it wouldnt work?

I think NoSkinnedKoopa means when you freeze time, time will flow normally in game even with out the 3 day cycle if there was a hack to remove the cycle from the game. So the moon would just be like any ordinary moon but it'd still be there, you'd have to make modifications and stuff around to make the moon to keep from falling I think. I could be wrong though but you'd never know. It would be cool to see the day cycle go normal with out the time limit.

Time Limit Removal made by Wareya (or Cen?): http://z64.spinout182.com/index.php/topic,66.0.htmlThe URL for the patch is broken so I'll teach you how to patch it at a later time. You can find details about the hack if you follow the link to the original post.

Thanks! That'll help my project for sure!

Yeah I know. What I was trying to say was that it could still be possible to do side quests that require you to wait for a day to pass to do things.

That's what I'm still trying to figure out :P

Removing the timelimit would break quite a few things as most of the actors are time dependent on it. (You can see this definitely via the 4th day glitch from the mass amounts of missing NPCs) This wouldn't be a simple or small hack to do, this would require a lot of ASM to accomplish to make things work smoothly and then at the same time, what happens after the characters run into their 3 day cycle after you got them to load? The characters are only programmed for 3 day schedules after that it resets. The only options are hackish methods which are redo day 1 constantly, have it recycle day 1-3 everytime(which eliminates the threat of failing entirely) or just use the 4th day.

For the change it to day 4(aka dawn of a new day) use this GS code for MM 1.0 U

801EF68B 0004

Removing the timelimit would break quite a few things as most of the actors are time dependent on it. (You can see this definitely via the 4th day glitch from the mass amounts of missing NPCs) This wouldn't be a simple or small hack to do, this would require a lot of ASM to accomplish to make things work smoothly and then at the same time, what happens after the characters run into their 3 day cycle after you got them to load? The characters are only programmed for 3 day schedules after that it resets. The only options are hackish methods which are redo day 1 constantly, have it recycle day 1-3 everytime(which eliminates the threat of failing entirely) or just use the 4th day.

For the change it to day 4(aka dawn of a new day) use this GS code for MM 1.0 U

801EF68B 0004

I see.. Well out of those decisions, I'd pick days 1-3 repeating endlessly. That way timed events could still work among the NPCs/actors. If completely removing the time limit is very difficult, then I'd just prefer to have a repeating cycle of 3 days.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.