General anime/manga/LN thread

xdaniel

Another season, another new bunch of anime, and as always the season preview on Random Curiosity gives a bit of an insight on the shows. And of those, in no particular order...

• Seen first episode / likely following: Sabagebu!, Hanayamata
  • Downloaded first episode: Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun, Barakamon, RAIL WARS!
And although there's a few more interesting-sounding shows, I think I'd even be fine with just the two I've already started.

...oh, and before I forget, I WANT MORE NO GAME NO LIFE! <3 And more Jibril, because Jibril best girl! <333

EDIT: Oh man... just learned more about Tokyo ESP, which hasn't been on my radar at all. Now I'm intrigued by it - it's by the same mangaka as Ga-Rei. And at the same time, I'm not sure if I want to watch it, exactly because of that.

Saw screenshots from Tokyo ESP episode 1, and I was like "Oh god, that's... no way it's them..." - there's cameos, if not proper appearances, of Kagura, Yomi and the guys who got killed in episode 1 of Ga-Rei Zero. Thus, flashbacks to said anime... to "Will you kill someone you love, because of love?"... to the OP and ED...

...ugh, yeah, Ga-Rei Zero was really good, but just remembering Yomi's fate and that of a bunch more characters... no thanks, I guess?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My preliminary watchlist for the new season:

..."preliminary" as in "I might add another show or two", because there's a bunch of interesting stuff airing this season, in my opinion.

Oh, I've seen quite a few series in the past few months, totally forgot about this thread.

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic, Seitokai Yakuindomo*

The Comic Artist and His Assistants

Hunter x Hunter

The irregular at magic high school

Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san

Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Nanana's Buried Treasure

I recently picked up Akame ga Kill!, Sword art Online II and Naruto Shippuden (I began watching it because I was in serious need of a time waster, saw 41 episodes in one day last sunday, which is about 12 hours of anime, since each episode is about 18 minutes of content and 5min recap/intro/outro)

I'd probably recommend all these series, except maybe Naruto. Only reason I'm watching it is to waste time, but in general it is below average in my opinion. If I had 300-400 episodes lying around of other better series, I'd watch that instead.

I also saw the first episode of Hellsing Ultimate, but I didn't really like it, so I put that on hold, but will probably just stop watching it altogether.

And right now, I am going to start watching the 2nd season of log horizon :D

Just watched the first episode of Ore Twintails ni Narimasu and it was so incredibly ridiculous, and stupid, and fun to watch because of how stupid it is! I mean, really, aliens come to earth to steal the "twintail attributes" of people because of how powerful twintails are? What kinda twintail fetishist thought of that?

Thing is, while it's most likely not going to be a "good" show as such, this first episode was just... I dunno, I guess it took itself just seriously enough to not come across as insubstantial nonsense, and not too seriously as to seem too stuck-up, serious business? Or something. To me, it found a balance that made it really fun to watch, something to switch off your brain and just enjoy the show. And that aside, I do like the OP and ED songs as well as the character design, so that's another plus.

Not sure yet, but this episode left a good enough impression on me that I think I'll keep watching it.

I've just started Amagi Brilliant Park and so far it's been great. It's one of those animes that rewards you the more you pay attention, like how the extremely narcissistic protagonist's name (Kanie Seiya) is meant to parody Kanye West. And then there's the whole thing with the mascot thing from fumoffu....

In other news, I've just started watching The World God Only Knows upon hearing I should. Since it's rather established, I've been watching it more attentively than usual, and for some reason, the MC playing "Paper Only Knows" in the first episode got me good. It makes me wonder what type of stuff slips under my radar when I'm not attentive....

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ANN: Non Non Biyori Rural Comedy Anime's 2nd Season Title, Key Visual Unveiled <3!

That aside, both Denki-gai no Honya-san and Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de have ended and I miss them already.

Inou-Battle was great, with some interesting subversions to common elements like superpowers and harems, as well as very likeable characters and some incredible moments - Hatoko's outburst was really something else, especially because of Saori Hayami's acting. Having a main character who, despite his chuunibyou, acts quite intelligent and perceptive to those around him is a nice change of pace, too. I'd really love to see another season of this, especially with the other side of the story not exactly being resolved (Kiryuu & co. with the whole Fairy Wars thing).

Denki-gai also had really likeable characters and, unlike many other shows like it, the relationships in the show actually go somewhere! Although not exactly to characters admitting their love for each other. But with so much happening between certain characters - say, Kantoku and Hio-tan spending the night together, like, three times or so in a 12 episode series? - it's impossible to not see the progress. Anyway, with the romantic aspect aside, the comedy in this was also really good, although I have to say the jokes about Sensei-chan's low "girl power" got a bit annoying by the end.

Well, not sure what else to say about the two series, besides that I'm hoping for a second season for each. Oh, and Denki-gai's Sensei-chan and Inou-Battle's Tomoyo are best girl each! :D

EDIT: Damn, the good news just keeps coming today, eh? ANN: 'I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying' Anime Gets 2nd Season!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.