Ocarina of Time: Boss Rush Mode

DeathBasket

Something I started working on yesterday. You will fight each boss in a row and the times you take to defeat them will be recorded so you can view them when (if) you finish. I currently have the settings screen working (replaces the map select) and the timer and difficulty levels are working too.

The next thing I need to do is find a good place to trigger the timer (maybe when the boss music starts?) and I'll need to make a few modifications to the warp actor and then I'm basically done.

Screenshots:

Settings screen

Posted Image

There are four difficulties (normal, hard, expert, extreme) that change the amount of damage Link takes from enemies. You can also choose whether or not to have your health/ammo automatically restored after each fight.

Timer (minutes:seconds.milliseconds)

Posted Image

Results test

Posted Image

Here's a video preview:

DOWNLOAD

Edited by DeathBasket

Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it.

Update time:

I've got all the information together now for when I'll trigger the timer on/off and tomorrow I'll work on actually implementing that. I've also decided to try and make a proper results screen instead of just displaying the final results like the screenshot I posted. Hopefully I'll do a similar thing for a game over screen too. We'll see how it goes.

That is pretty awesome :D Will you be releasing the project source when completed?

I'll tidy it up (and comment) a bit and then probably put it in a folder with the patch/other resources for when you download it.

Awesome. Always love your hacks, DeathBasket. I don't feel so lonely in this category of hacking anymore :D

Thanks. I wouldn't be doing stuff like this if you didn't get me started on assembly hacking. http://core.the-gcn.com/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

ASM hacking at its finest. You put it the best: very extremely. For funsies, you should add in (or do a sister hack) for minibosses. No, I'm not still butthurt that Dark Link didn't make it into the boss rush.

I'm not really bothered about minibosses since the line between miniboss and normal enemy is rather ambiguous. Timed enemy or puzzle rooms might be something to think about though. Maybe something like the Gerudo Training Grounds but with a different reward depending on how long you take to finish.

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire...v9j71lhjt0iwia4

Resources are included in the download for those who want them.

I have only found one bug so far. Holding down A when the main menu/results/game over screen is supposed to appear will cause them to be skipped, you'll go straight to the Deku Tree boss and it won't reset any of the data. It could easily be fixed by just changing a bit of the code around but I'm not bothered about it right now. Anyway, have fun and maybe post some of your results.

My attempt:

Here it is:

http://www.mediafire...v9j71lhjt0iwia4

Resources are included in the download for those who want them.

I have only found one bug so far. Holding down A when the main menu/results/game over screen is supposed to appear will cause them to be skipped, you'll go straight to the Deku Tree boss and it won't reset any of the data. It could easily be fixed by just changing a bit of the code around but I'm not bothered about it right now. Anyway, have fun and maybe post some of your results.

My attempt:

Foghorn-Leghorn-BoyI-say-Boy-I-approve-of-this-here-thread.jpg

In the future, you can do .asciiz "string here" instead of .word 0x43... Make sure to use .asciiz and not .ascii as .asciiz automatically puts a '\x00'. I don't have a setup to test it in right now, but from what I'm seeing here, you've done some great work. I hope you inspire others.

• 4 months later...

Since I am no professional with these things, I have a possibly noobish question:

Has Majora's Mask hacking advanced to the same level of Ocarina of Time hacking? If so, I'd imagine doing something like this would be possible in MM as well? What with it having its own debug ROM and everything, to boot. Or is that ROM not as well documented/explored? Just a minor curiosity of mine, is all.

This was sent from a magical space satellite in the Andromeda Galaxy. Hurr.

Since I am no professional with these things, I have a possibly noobish question:

Has Majora's Mask hacking advanced to the same level of Ocarina of Time hacking? If so, I'd imagine doing something like this would be possible in MM as well? What with it having its own debug ROM and everything, to boot. Or is that ROM not as well documented/explored? Just a minor curiosity of mine, is all.

MM already has Boss Rush mode! ..... well kindof :). MM hacking is not close to OOT hacking because of personal preference. Meh il leave it to the professionals :) .

~Deku

Majora's Mask is harder to hack without causing game-breaking glitches, and the debug version of the ROM is speculated to not, in fact, be the legit debug version, but may actually contain several hacks to present a reasonable facsimile of such a ROM (though the speculation lacks much convincing evidence, and it's unlikely with as little information as we have on hacking this game that someone could pull off such a hack). While ripping models, porting maps and some basic assembly hacks have been done for it (mainly by Zeth, JSA and DeathBasket, respectively), there's just not as much documentation on it because the Ocarina of Time debug ROM is so much easier to work with. Because most custom content is accepted without a problem, there are fewer commands and parameters that you need to understand, and other reasons, hacking OoT is generally preferable to MM.

Majora's Mask is harder to hack without causing game-breaking glitches, and the debug version of the ROM is speculated to not, in fact, be the legit debug version, but may actually contain several hacks to present a reasonable facsimile of such a ROM (though the speculation lacks much convincing evidence, and it's unlikely with as little information as we have on hacking this game that someone could pull off such a hack). While ripping models, porting maps and some basic assembly hacks have been done for it (mainly by Zeth, JSA and DeathBasket, respectively), there's just not as much documentation on it because the Ocarina of Time debug ROM is so much easier to work with. Because most custom content is accepted without a problem, there are fewer commands and parameters that you need to understand, and other reasons, hacking OoT is generally preferable to MM.

How do people manage to get the debug roms? Is it somewhere in the official game? I always wondered were these amazing debug's came from.

They are leaked from the company that developed the game, usually from an employee or former employee who still has access to the old development builds. More often than not, a substantial bribe is given. For example, Cendamos supposedly paid $3,000 for the debug ROM for MM.

They are leaked from the company that developed the game, usually from an employee or former employee who still has access to the old development builds. More often than not, a substantial bribe is given. For example, Cendamos supposedly paid $3,000 for the debug ROM for MM.

Ah, that clears things up. Thanks Naxy :) .

Thank you for the explanation. :)

Though there definitely is no doubting the Debug ROM is real, unless someone went hacking wizard on it and added all of those wonderful debugging extras with unknown methods. O:

Well, shoot. I still hope one day, though it may not happen. :/

Also, I seem to have derailed this topic somewhat; sorry about that.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.