xdaniel's Random Junk

xdaniel

xdaniel, you are an amazing beast at what you do. You should really stick to 1-2 projects and keep working on them you've got A LOT of dead ones. I wish I could do the things you do but alas, I'm a Photoshop kiddie. :(

Great work on everything, mostly making your own games and the Pokemon Crystal map editor. Would love that to be complete. ;D

The Pokemon GSC map editor in particular is actually rather complete if I remember correctly... It's still missing the event script parser I wanted to implement someday, some event properties are still marked as "unknown" (IIRC as GoldMap and JohtoMap were in disagreement about their purpose), but overall it should be more or less feature complete. That might really be something simple to fix up and finally release, so I might look into it over the weekend :)

• Like 1

It's going to be epic to create an ice-themed dungeon with that effect. I look forward to it. If you need anybody to test as it gets further into development, I'm your man.

If you need logos made, I'm your man. xD

Great to hear it's close to completion, it will be a hit.

Sooo~

N64 model converter thingy: Might put out a public release of the "demo program" I posted the screenshot of (which is kinda meant to be an object model converter, and thus not for maps) sometime during the next one or two weeks. Again, this will be strictly for object models and such, so it won't generate room and scene files, just raw textures and display lists. It's meant to evolve into SO's successor, but this is a long-term goal.

G2Map Pokemon map editor: Currently fixing up what needs fixing - ex. for some reason the border block selector in the map properties window got moved off screen at some point o_ô -, looking through the todo notes in the code, then determine which ones are important enough to implement before the first release (if any). It's looking good so far.

EDIT, also: My website's "Nano-chan" CMS: Several under-the-hood fixes and improvements, like better PHP5 compatibility (or rather, it no longer hitting deprecated/removed functions or spitting out warnings). I'm actually *gasp* gonna post G2Map to my site, as opposed to letting that linger around! :P

Edited by xdaniel
  • Like 2

G2Map is out, see in its own thread, SharpBoy will see another release soon-ish, see that program's thread, and the Mega Man Battle Network thingy's progressed too:

Posted Image

The main improvement is that it's capable of loading compressed data, which the majority of the viruses appear to be, like our Spikey above :D Now to look deeper into the frame flags; I know the "end of sequence" and "loop" flags, but the viruses have more that I hadn't seen before...

EDIT:

Posted Image

Edited by xdaniel

• 2 weeks later...

N64 model converter thingy: Public test build is GO:

Posted Image

Download: http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/model2n64/Model2N64-PublicTest.rar

GCN logo test model (SketchUp): http://magicstone.de/dzd/random/model2n64/gcn-test.skp

It's still rough around the edges and might have bugs. Also, it's 4 AM here, so here's just a really quick rundown of the controls and stuff...

Q/E/W/A/S/D is camera control, default mode is rotation. Hold Shift to change to camera translation, hold Space to speed movement up. Numpad 7/9/8/4/2/6 is light source movement. Lighting preview is NOT accurate. Right-click the 3D view for a menu where you can reset camera and light position, as well as dis-/enable the lightbulb marker. Numpad 5 also resets the light position.

Currently supported for opening are Wavefront .obj models and "MapInfdev intermediate" models (= what this program, or rather the model handling library I'm writing, converts everything into internally; gotta rename them tho), supported for saving are F3DEX2 binary files and, again, MapInfdev intermediate. F3DEX2 saving asks for RAM segment and base offset, then converts model and materials, saves them, and gives you a rundown of texture and display list addresses in the resulting file.

Right-clicking a group in the treeview allows you to change some flags, currently backface culling, lighting and texture coord generation (the reflection stuff I mentioned a while ago). Right-click a material allows you to change its color, horizontal and vertical texture wrap, and the combiner mux it uses after conversion (nearly untested, leave on auto-detect unless you want to test it :P).

The preview is, as usual, not necessarily indicative of how the converted model will look like in-game (lighting, texgen especially). Also note that this specific tool is meant for object models, not maps or somesuch, which is why it only creates textures and display lists - no collision, no headers, nothing of the sort. And finally note that I haven't yet tried to view anything this program converted in an actual game/emulator, only the old libbadRDP-based DLViewer. It's reasonably accurate but obviously not 100%, so you might encounter glitches I haven't seen during my "offline" or "dry" testing or whatever you wanna call it.

All that said, wonder if this'll result in more feedback that for some other stuff I've released, G2Map or whatever... tho this might be a bit more useful anyway, so here's hoping.

• Like 2

Sooo... no feedback, yet again. It's been a few days, a weekend at that, yet no one has tried it? Or felt like even writing a short "it works fine" post or something?

I really don't want to sound like I'm demanding anything here, far from it, but getting barely any response for something you've thought about and worked on for quite some time is kinda discouraging.

I'm sorry, I can't give you any real feedback yet because I'm stuck on an old laptop with only Ubuntu available right now. From what I can tell it looks really good though, you might gain some more interest for it if you showed a screenshot of something that was converted in game.

It gives me an error on opening the program and on trying to open the .xml file. It also seems to not show anything in the viewer.

Unhandeled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Unable to find an entry point named 'glGenerateMipmap' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'.

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.EntryPointNotFoundException: Unable to find an entry point named 'glGenerateMipmap' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'.

at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.Core.GenerateMipmap(GenerateMipmapTarget target)

at OpenTK.Graphics.OpenGL.GL.GenerateMipmap(GenerateMipmapTarget target)

at N64ModelConvert.Helpers.GenerateTexture(Bitmap img, Boolean mip) in C:Dokumente und EinstellungenDanieleigene dateienvisual studio 2010ProjectsN64ModelConvertN64ModelConvertHelpers.cs:line 231

at N64ModelConvert.MainForm.glControl1_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:Dokumente und EinstellungenDanieleigene dateienvisual studio 2010ProjectsN64ModelConvertN64ModelConvertMainForm.cs:line 366

at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.onload(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.OnCreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativewindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Nativewindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 (RTMGDR.030319-2600)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

N64ModelConvert

Assembly Version: 0.1.0.0

Win32 Version: 0.1.0.0

CodeBase: file:///F:/Zelda_Hacking/Model%20Importing/N64ModelConvert.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.278 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.282 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.269 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

OpenTK

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.278.44921

CodeBase: file:///F:/Zelda_Hacking/Model%20Importing/OpenTK.DLL

OpenTK.GLControl

Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 1.0.278.44921

CodeBase: file:///F:/Zelda_Hacking/Model%20Importing/OpenTK.GLControl.DLL

System.Core

Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

BakemonoModelLoader

Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///F:/Zelda_Hacking/Model%20Importing/BakemonoModelLoader.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

It gives me an error on opening the program and on trying to open the .xml file. It also seems to not show anything in the viewer.

Unhandeled exception has occured in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Unable to find an entry point named 'glGenerateMipmap' in DLL 'opengl32.dll'.

[...]

Apparently that's an error stemming from outdated drivers or an Intel graphics chipset - I added a workaround I found and reuploaded a new build at the same URL. Hope it works for you now, because I can't otherwise reproduce the error on my end.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this, hoping that someone who's able to try this out could actually do so. Of course everyone here has a life beyond ROM hacking and stuff, but about two weeks without any actual feedback - even if it's just an "it works, thanks" or whatever - is quite discouraging :(

Updated build: http://magicstone.de...PublicTest2.rar

Updated GCN logo model (as .obj & MapInfdev): http://magicstone.de.../gcn-test_2.rar

Posted Image

If you're a lurker and you know it clap your hands...

*Claps hands*

I dont really mod anymore so I dont have access to any files to test. Keep in mind that all fo your tools are awesome and I am sure everyone <3 them, including myself. Remember though (this is said with love and respect) that you never finish anything you start...lol

That may be why no one has tried it yet.

I did run your app and it looked to be in order but since I have no obj's I cannot fully put it through the ringer. However, I must say judging by the screenshot that it appears to be very interesting. I am also confident it is super easy to use as your tools tend to be that way.

So, in short...

Thanks! :D

I guess I should just release the source code for all my projects, and let someone else code ex. an OoT/MM map editor, an OoT/MM map importer, an F3DEX2 object model converter, a WW/TP map editor and a WW text viewer. Gets rid of the "weight on my shoulders" while everything will stay the same, as no one will actually rewrite or improve any of the aforementioned tools.

Sorry if that comes across as whiny or as throwing a fit or something, but it really seems like there's no difference between me not trying to program something useful, and me doing it but apparently no one using the tools. I obviously like the challenge - SharpBoy, and GBME before, were born from that alone -, but challenging something only carries your determination so far, and mine is running out.

Again sorry for this whiny rant. It's just that one of the few things I felt like they're actually worth doing in my life right now, is actually completely irrelevant and redundant.

Xdan don't get discouraged, there is actually a lot of people who want this kind of thing, myself included. I had a few issues come in the way such as my GPU dying and now that I'm back, I'm going to be trying this! Keep in mind that apparently others are having computer issues, school is involved and holiday is approaching. Though truth be told didn't know you released this publicly, I just randomly came up on by accident TODAY, cause no offense or anything, this thread is a little on the disorganized side so its hard to find what projects you've made here and what not, I don't check here much cause a lot of it has been gb hacking or emulating things which isn't where my own personal interest stem from. So possibly you would have a better chance with feedback on the new tool if you posted it in its own thread? I will give my feedback very soon as I'm converting the dlist as we speak and prepping them for ingame use. Also I would like to make mention, I was trying to change the base and doing so caused an error to pop up! I tried to change the base(aka the padding) to 0x39C0 and it wouldn't make it saying something that it was too big or something which is odd cause I know some dlist don't start til even further like at 0x5000+ due to animations/textures that fill up that part. Anyways, upcoming feedback soon!

• Like 1

This^

I was not trying to insult or demotivate you in any sense of the phrase. I know for me I am almost done with my Master's and Thesis work takes up what little time I have when I am not actually at my job working.

The fact that I do not actively mod probably doesn't help either...lol

Not to say that I will not, but just literally dont have time for anything right now. Hell I only see my wife like 6 hours a week. Interpret that as a positive or negative on your own ;)

Keep in mind xDan that modding comes in waves. Right now it is in a little lull but it will pick up, it always seems to.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I really mean it. It's been a bad day so far anyway, so I guess I kinda vented that here.

Anyway, for one, I did make a new thread for my N64 and/or Zelda stuff, or rather the model converter so far: http://www.the-gcn.com/topic/1815-n64zelda-hacking-tools-dlist-conversion-etc/ - maybe that'll make those tools (which are probably the most interesting for you guys here) more visible :)

• Like 1

Just so you know your efforts outside N64 modding aren't going to waste, I gave SharpBoy a try a while back when I was setting up my handheld emulators on my laptop, I figured, why not give it a try then? Played Pokemon Crystal for a while and I found the interface to be clean and intuitive, and everything appeared fully functional with no bugs. The debugger, in particular, looks to be a very nice feature, and though I can't say much about its functional value as that sort of thing isn't my forte, it does give me an incentive to look more into it at least for modding GB/GBC games.

• Like 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.