The Legend of Zelda: Tears of Fate

Shadow Fire

Okay... I have no idea how many times I've had to resurrect this. I know some of you may remember this from elsewhere, but for those who don't, here's the gist of it. This fanfic is set four years after the events of The Legend of Zelda: Mujura's Mask (Majora's Mask). It entails Ganondorf's escape from the Sacred Realm. Link must brave unimaginable evil and save Hyrule from evil once again.

I would like to advise readers that I have used the official Japanese names for many things, so please don't hesitate to raise a question about what I'm referring to.

Rating:

Posted Image * Posted Image * Posted Image * Posted Image

Current Progress
50%

Posted Image

Posted Image

Chapter 1: The Beginning

The young boy shivered as he stepped into the seemingly empty room, glancing around. He'd noticed nothing out of the ordinary, but there were questions plaguing his mind. How did he get there? Even more importantly, why was he there in the first place? Taking a few steps, he pondered thoughtfully.

Why am I in this strange place? What is it? Where is it?

His thoughts went unanswered as he slipped and fell, the ground crumbling from beneath his feet. Giving a cry of surprise, the boy shot his hands out to grab something, finding salvation with the edge of the floor. Gulping, he glanced down, noticing clouds, which parted to show a very small Hyrule.

W-what the-? How... how did I get in the sky? What am I doing so high?

Suddenly, he gasped as his grip began to falter, and he struggled to keep hold.

I... whoa! Oh no! I'm slipping...

His fingers slipping, the boy found himself falling, countless thousands of feet to the ground beneath him, screaming all the way down. Just as he was about to hit the ground...

"Waaah!"

A loud cry echoed through a house in the Kokiri Forest, as a sleeping boy was awoken from his nightmare. Lurching up in bed, he wiped the sweat from his face. Glancing at his surroundings, he found that he wasn't falling thousands of feet, but was safe at home. Breathing a sigh of relief, the boy ran a hand through his golden hair, grumbling softly.

What in the world's going on here? Why did I have such a strange nightmare? I've never seen such a place before, but...

Trying to shake off his unsettling nightmare, the boy glanced out of his doorway. Kokiri Forest was peaceful and silent, except for the hoots of owls, and cries of other night birds in the distance. Shivering, the boy got out of bed and walked over to the door, looking out at the village. His sapphire blue eyes scanned the horizon.

No sign of any evil... but with nightmares like this, it's best to remain cautious.

Breathing another relieved sigh, the boy glanced back inside, over to his clock. He smiled inwardly, glad he'd brought home one of the Terminian devices, and reconfigured it to run on Hylian time. He gave another sigh, noticing it was still only just after 3 AM. His inward smile became slightly visible on his lips as his eyes fell onto a note that was taped near the clock.

"Saria," he said softly. His young, non-aging Kokiri friend meant a lot to him. He smiled wider as he re-read the note in his mind.

Link,

I'm so glad to have you back.

Navi has missed you almost as much as I have.

She regrets that she can't see you at the moment, but she has things to do, and feels it is really important to finish them.

I can't thank you enough for saving Hyrule, and protecting us all against evil.

I can't wait to see you again.

Love always,

Saria.

P.S. I will always be your friend.

Link's cheeks reddened ever so slightly as he read it over and over in his mind. He'd kept the note pinned up since getting it, four years ago. He'd always had a crush on his friend, but he and Saria felt it would be best if they simply remained friends. After all, he didn't want to risk the possibility of a potential enemy finding out and using it against him. Plus, he was betrothed to Ruto, the young princess of the Zora. He found that despite her bossy façade, she was really quite tender and caring. He knew that in just a few short years, they would be wed. Closing his eyes for a moment, the boy chuckled softly.

May as well just sit up and think. It's not as if I will be able to get back to sleep anyway.

His mind went back to the time he had saved Hyrule, and he instantly groaned. Sure, he'd saved Hyrule, but it was as if it hadn't even happened. Link was seventeen when he and Zelda had defeated Ganon, and the King of Evil was sealed inside the Evil Realm. Then, Zelda used the Ocarina of Time to restore them to their original time. Thanks to the magic of the seal on the Evil Realm, Ganondorf remained prisoner, allowing Hyrule to flourish. When Link had restored the Master Sword to the Pedestal of Time, Navi had departed ways with Link, saying she had some important things to attend to. Link waited for almost a year, but never saw his fairy friend. He'd gone to see Zelda one last time, before leaving. She had given him the Ocarina of Time, and bade him farewell. Link had intended to find Navi, but instead had got lost, and found himself in a new land. A masked Stal Kid had chosen to play his prank, having two fairy friends scare Epona, whom Link was riding, forcing the boy from the horse and into unconsciousness. The Stal Kid had then proceeded to take the Ocarina of Time, and play it. Link awoke, and after failing to attempt to get it back, found himself dragged along the ground, as the Stal Kid tried to ride away on Epona. He'd pursued the Stal Kid, but had been turned into a Deku Nut. However, with the help of one of the mischievous fairies named Chat, Link had managed to restore himself to normal, and save this new land from impending doom. He destroyed the evil entity that had possessed the Stal Kid, and reunited him with his friends. He and Chat then parted ways, and Link returned to Hyrule.

"Five years," he said to himself softly. "Five years it's been since I've seen Navi. Saria says she's okay, since she can talk to Navi through the magic of the forest, but now I feel even more an outcast. The Kokiri have welcomed me, knowing that I'm a Hylian, but to be without a fairy, after the challenges I've faced, feels... strange."

Leaning his head against the frame of the doorway, Link closed his eyes once more, giving a soft yawn. Reopening his eyes, he decided to go and pay a visit to Saria, since she rarely slept. Walking over to his bed, the boy reached underneath it, and pulled out his tunic, slowly changing out of his pyjamas. Adjusting his hair, Link reached for his cap, placing it on his head, he glanced over at his boots, along with his sword and shield.

I think I'll leave you guys here... I'll just be next door.

As if agreeing with his thoughts, Link nodded, departing his house. Climbing down the ladder, he suddenly felt cold. A strange chill seemed to brush over his body, and he didn't like strange chills. Shivering, he jumped down, and began to walk to Saria's place, giving a soft sigh at the feeling of the cool grass beneath his bare feet. As he approached his friend's house, the chill picked up. Although it was only slight, Link was beginning to get a feeling of dread. Arriving at Saria's house, he knocked softly on the doorframe.

"Saria?" he called softly. "Hello?"

Peeking inside, Link didn't spot his friend anywhere. He walked inside slowly and glanced around. The feeling of dread was growing. Saria was always at home, and if she wasn't, she'd never forget to tell Link where she was going, unless it was to the Forest Sanctuary, but there was silence all throughout the forest. If Saria was in the Forest Sanctuary, he'd hear her melody. Instead, he heard nothing. His heart began to beat faster as anxiety began to kick in.

"It's not going to work..." Link said, attempting to conceal the slight panic in his voice. "You're hiding... aren't you?"

His question was answered with more silence. Link began to get a bit scared. It was unlike Saria to be missing at all. Another chill passed over his body, and the boy ran out of the house. He didn't know what the chill was. Link ran back to his own house, climbed the ladder, and ran inside. Without any hesitation, he equipped his sword and shield, before remembering his boots. He had just finished putting them on, when...

"Link!" a tiny, shrill voice called out.

It was a voice that the boy hadn't heard for a long time, but it was back, which could only mean one thing.

"Navi!" he responded, his voice still higher pitched from anxiety. The fairy Link had parted ways with over five years ago had returned. Her eyes were wide, and it was obvious something appeared wrong. From the look on Link's face, she knew the question he had in mind, but the boy wouldn't like the answer.

"Something's happened!" the fairy gasped out, hovering over to Link. "I'd just finished advanced fairy training, when I suddenly felt an intense, overwhelming darkness. I tried to contact Saria, but I couldn't sense her!"

Link felt like he'd been pummelled by a thousand Wolfos. Had it not been for his bed, he'd have fallen butt-first to the floor, but instead had sat on the soft mattress of his bed. He glanced at Navi, his eyes appearing to tremble.

"Where?" the Hylian asked, although, his intuition told him he knew exactly where it was.

"It's..." Navi began. "...Hyrule Castle Town. The darkest region is the eastern part of town."

Link froze in horror, and instantly, an image of Ganondorf, the King of Evil, was in his mind.

The Temple of Time! That has to be it! It has to be... him...

The boy couldn't get that evil smirk out of his head, nor that malevolent snicker. It had plagued his mind for five years. Standing up, the boy clenched his hands into fists. Taking out the Ocarina of Time, he played six notes, waiting to be warped to the Temple of Time. However, he remained standing in his house.

But... I played the right notes! I should be in the Temple of Time now, but we're not...

Navi became a little edgy. Something strange was happening, with Link being unable to teleport. The melody was played perfectly, and should have warped them both to the Temple of Time. It would seem that an alternate method of transport to the temple would be needed. The fairy flew closer to Link, and gave a nervous smile.

"I'm sorry I took so long," she started. "But I'm back now, ready to stay with you for life. Let's find out what's wrong... what's causing this darkness."

Link nodded, but in his mind, he already knew what was happening.

Ganondorf... what in the name of the goddesses are you planning?

Exiting his house with Navi in tow, the boy made his way to the exit of the Kokiri Forest. As he reached Hyrule Field, he gasped at how dark it was. It wasn't pitch black, but it was dark enough for him to feel the evil emanating from it. Shivering, he took out the Ocarina of Time, and played another melody. After the notes were played, a horse's whinny was heard in the distance. Epona had heard her song and was responding. The horse made her way towards Link and Navi, stopping right in front of them with a happy snort. With a soft smile, Link pet Epona's side, slowly mounting her, Navi slipping into the pocket behind his tunic. As the boy gave a soft kick to her sides, Epona whinnied and began to gallop over the vast field of Hyrule, towards the source of the darkness.

It's worse than I thought...

Link frowned to himself. Closing his eyes for a brief moment, the boy tried to listen to any sound that the three great goddesses may be making, but heard nothing. He opened his eyes, frowning more as they approached Hyrule Castle Town. Slowing Epona down, he dismounted her and gave her a soft pet, before giving her a gentle smack on her rear, encouraging her to go back to Lon Lon Ranch. Epona obeyed without hesitation, galloping back without a sound.

If anything happened to you, I wouldn't forgive myself... and Malon would kill me.

Link stared at the entrance to the town, crossing his arms. The drawbridge was up, but not all the way. There was enough room for him to squeeze through. Taking a breath, he ran for the gap, as wings suddenly appeared on his boots, keeping him suspended long enough for him to make it to the other side. Managing to barely squeeze through, Link glanced around and shivered. It was even darker here, and over in the east, it was indeed even darker. Gulping softly, he ran towards the Temple of Time, and upon reaching it, entered cautiously.

"Navi..." the boy whispered softly. "Be ready for anything."

Said fairy emerged from her little hidey-place and flew next to Link. The two approached the Altar of Time. Looking up at the colossal Door of Time, they noticed it was closed. There was only one way to open it. Playing his Ocarina once again, Link played the Song of Time, once again coaxing the Door of Time into opening. He then ran into the room with the Pedestal of Time, followed very closely by Navi. They were a bit surprised when they saw the Master Sword was still in its place. However, something didn't appear right. The Hylian approached the sword, and wrapped his fingers around the handle.

This doesn't feel right... The sword is the same as when I last used it, but something feels... different.

Suddenly, he heard the sound which plagued his mind for over 5 years. The sound he dreaded, hoping he'd never hear again. He was there. He would usually have mentally cursed himself for not preparing an Arrow of Light to be fired, but he had already realized that any hostile attempt would be futile.

"It's you," he growled, without even turning around. Once again, the familiar snicker was heard.

"Of course it's me," the familiar sounding voice of the malevolent Gerudo King said with pure amusement. "I can't be sealed for eternity, not when I hold the Triforce of Power... and now..."

The Gerudo smirked ominously at Link, his next words sending a chill up the boy's spine.

"I, Ganondorf, King of Evil, have returned."

Ganondorf sneered at Link, mentally cursing the boy for having ruined his plans for total world domination. He began to slowly stalk towards him, his eyes narrowed, the evil sneer still on his face.

"I should have destroyed you when I had the chance, but I hadn't figured you'd have gotten so far," the Gerudo growled. "Because of you, I've been sealed in the Realm of Evil, but thanks to the Triforce of Power, I overcame the seal. I have you right where I want you."

Link gritted his teeth as Ganondorf stopped, standing beside him. The Hylian's fingers tightened around the handle of the Master Sword, giving a low growl.

Get away from me...

As Link prepared to pull the Master Sword from its resting place, his eyes narrowed when he heard the sound of Ganondorf's evil laugh. Oh, how he wanted to shut him up forever, but instead, he fought back his rage. He knew that if he lost his cool, he'd be blinded by anger, and his defences would be significantly weaker. But that laugh. Ooh, he hated it so. Ganondorf suddenly and forcefully clamped a strong hand onto the teen's shoulder.

"You overestimate yourself, kid," the older male said with a snicker. "You honestly believe that you can defeat me again? I think you'll find it hard, especially without the help of your precious sages."

Link's head snapped to the side, the boy partially turning his body to glare up at the evil king. However, his glare wasn't as powerful as the confusion in his eyes.

"What do you mean?" he spat viciously.

Ganondorf's lips curled into a malicious smirk, one which Link wanted to slice off his face. The taller male's grip on his shoulder suddenly tightened, causing Link to gasp out in pain.

"This is what I mean!" Ganondorf boomed, a dark energy surrounding them. The energy was so dark, that Navi gave a shrill cry.

"Ah!" she yelped, holding her head. "It's too evil!"

Link couldn't respond, as he was too focused on something else that was happening. He felt six familiar energies leaving his body, all giving a different coloured glow. He instantly recognized them.

The Power of the Sages! What's happening to them?

The boy cried out in shock as one by one, each energy glow shattered in a flurry of sparkles. As each glow shattered, his power decreased. The medallions which the Sages had awarded him were being destroyed, one by one. The dark energy slowly dissipated, and Link suddenly felt weak. The Master Sword fell from his hand and hit the ground with a loud 'clang'.

"G-Ganon...dorf..." the Hylian wheezed. Dizzily, he glanced around for the Gerudo, but was unable to find him. Dropping to the ground beneath him, right next to Navi, Link fell into unconsciousness.

Posted Image

"Link... wake up," a mysterious voice urged. "Wake up, Hero of Time."

The unconscious Hylian slowly awoke, glancing around dizzily. He didn't notice the surroundings, and last time he awoke to someone calling him the Hero of Time, he'd awoken in the Chamber of the Sages, or at least in a damaged timeline.

"Where... am I?" the boy mumbled, gritting his teeth when he noticed Navi lying motionless beside him. He was about to panic when he heard her tiny groan. The fairy sat up and rubbed her head.

"Ugh... that dark energy... it hurt..." Navi grumbled. She and Link both jumped when they heard the voice speak again.

"At last, you are awake..." the familiar sounding voice said softly. The voice sounded like a young boy, approximately the same age as Link. Stepping forward, the boy revealed himself, making Link gasp.

"Princess Zelda?" the Hylian wondered aloud, believing Zelda to have assumed her disguise again. However, he was in for a shock as the boy shook his head.

"I am not Zelda, but merely the essence of her disguise, given form..." The boy began. "You know me as Sheik. I am all that remains of Princess Zelda's power."

Link stood to his feet, Navi beginning to hover in the air. Both of them stared at Sheik, wondering if his words were true, or if he was just a hallucination. Link glanced around for a few moments, still somewhat confused.

"This is a place where time has no meaning," Sheik continued, noticing the other boy's perplexion. "It is a secret place within the Temple of Time. I was destined to remain here, and bring you here when the King of Darkness made his return."

The green hatted boy frowned, his eyes narrowing, but Sheik ignored him, continuing with his explanation.

"Zelda never believed the seal would be eternal..." he murmured. "Ganondorf was destined to return, since he had retained the Triforce of Power when sealed... and even though you possess the Triforce of Courage, you've suffered a great blow. Without the Medallions in which the Sages had given you, your power is only a small fraction of what it was with all of them."

Gritting his teeth, Link was about to take out his frustration on the wall, until he heard Navi speak up.

"What is the problem anyway?" the fairy asked. "Let's just go see the other Sages. I'm sure they can help us again."

Sheik slowly shook his head.

"I am sure you have noticed Saria's disappearance?" the Sheikah asked, earning an annoyed grinding of the teeth from Link, followed by a nod. Clearing his throat, Sheik continued. "All of the Sages have disappeared. As Ganondorf began his escape, his power radiated forth, and the Sages have not been seen or heard from since. Only you can save them, Link. The temples you once broke the curses on have been cursed once again, but your quest is going to be much harder and more dangerous than your last. To return to the temples safely, use the melodies you were taught."

Bringing the Ocarina of Time into his hands, Link stared at it in confusion. Navi glanced at Sheik.

"But we already tried using it!" she objected. "Link tried to use the Prelude of Light to return here, but it wouldn't work."

"Yes," Sheik instantly responded. "I know, and in fact, let me tell you why. Since Ganondorf was using his evil power to assault the Sacred Realm, there was too much evil around the temple. Not only that, but... the melody you were playing was not the Prelude of Light. It was actually the Time's Phrase. The real Prelude of Light has never been found. That aside, if you wish to return here, you should be able to, using the Time's Phrase, since Ganondorf's evil power has dissipated from the Temple."

With a blink, Link continued to glance at the ocarina, before giving a shrug, opting to figure it out later. Suddenly, he heard the sound of a harp being played. Turning to the side, he noticed Sheik playing. It was a sad-sounding melody, one which reminded him of the Oath to Order. He listened intently to its notes, before his thoughts were interrupted as Sheik spoke, though the music didn't end.

"You must not waste time, Link. You are Hyrule's last hope. I will remain here. Once you have provided aid to the Sages of Forest, Flames and Water, return to me. Good luck, Hero of Time."

Link nodded, and glanced at Navi. The fairy nodded back at him solemnly. They both knew their first destination, the Temple of the Forest. However, just as Link was about to play the familiar melody to teleport him to the temple, Sheik halted him.

"I have one more thing to say..." Sheik said in his mysterious voice, no longer playing his harp. "There are many creatures that roam the land, some of them which are thought to have only been a part of legend. Take great caution, as they may be out for blood."

Link nodded slowly, placing the Ocarina of Time to his lips once again and playing the Minuet of the Forest. Green sparkles formed around him, and as the melody finished, both he and Navi vanished, warping to the Forest Sanctuary, leaving Sheik behind in his chamber.

"Good luck, Link..." he whispered softly, starting to play the same sad melody. "You'll need it for this quest."

In the Forest Sanctuary, Link had used the Hookshot he acquired from Termina to bring himself up onto the ledge that led into the Temple of the Forest. The boy glanced at Navi, who nodded to him slowly.

"Let's go, Link..." she said softly.

Link nodded back and gazed at the ground for a moment.

I'll save you, Saria... Together, we'll rid Hyrule of Ganondorf forever.

Swallowing softly, Link looked through the portal that led into the temple. Navi looked at him, confused.

"You're going in, right?" she asked.

The boy offered a shaky nod, the two cautiously entering the temple moments later.

End of Chapter 1.

• Like 3

Posted Image

Chapter 2: Temple of the Forest

The Temple of the Forest was dark and gloomy, just as Link remembered it. He shivered as he remembered his last visit, a visit which only Link and a select few knew about. To everyone else, it had never happened. He gritted his teeth as he remembered what was hidden deep inside the temple during his last visit. That phantom had caused so much anger, to which the hero had used to successfully defeat it.

"Navi," Link suddenly said, in a soft voice. "What did your training involve?"

The fairy hovered to Link's shoulder, before coming to a rest on it.

"Advanced fairy magic..." she replied. "I always felt helpless when we were on our last adventure. If you were hurt, there was nothing I could do. I couldn't even help you fight. But now, I can use my new power to help. I even have limited healing capabilities."

Link smiled, despite the grim circumstances they were facing.

"Thank you," he began. "I appreciate it, Navi... and contrary to what you may think, you always were a great hel-- Whoa!"

The Hylian jumped back as an enemy appeared as if from thin air. Navi instantly analysed it.

"The Mad Knight..." she began. "It is a Deku Nut which has been possessed by the spirits of the forest. Use the shield to defend, and attack when it lowers its defence!"

Link sighed, drawing his sword and holding up his shield. He managed to block an attack, watching for a moment when the Mad Knight dropped his guard. Just as he found that moment and lunged at the creature, it did a back-flip and leaped over the Hylian, turning around to spit several fruits at him.

"Gah!" the boy cried out as the fruits connected with his back. They hurt like hell. Turning around, Link instantly cast Din's Flames, enveloping the possessed Deku in flames, forcing the creature to the ground. Looking away as he listened to the small creatures screams of pain, the boy clenched his teeth together, feeling guilty.

I'm sorry, little Deku... I'm so sorry.

Hearing Navi gasp, the Hylian turned around to see the Deku standing back up, looking around in clear confusion. Upon noticing Link, it gave a soft gasp and bowed in traditional Deku style, before speaking softly.

"Thank you for saving me from the evil curse-pi..." it began. "As a reward, let me tell you a bit about this temple-pi. Legends say that this temple was once home to what is now the spirits of the forest-pi. They had lived in harmony with the forest, and were able to control the actions of all plant life in the forest-pi. I wish I could tell you more, but that's all I know-pi. I must go, before I am cursed again, but before I go, may I please ask that you keep an eye out for my brothers-pi? I think they are here, and they may also be cursed-pi."

With another bow, the Deku ran out of the temple. Link stared after it, giving a soft sigh. Turning around, he began to slowly walk over to the first door. Opening it cautiously, he stepped into the corridor. Walking slowly, he made his way through, and into the main room of the temple. The boy then gave a grumble.

Damn it! The elevator has been deactivated. Looks like I'm going to have to light those torches again.

Scowling darkly, Link sheathed his sword and began walking towards where he knew would be the areas the other torches would be. Navi flew down in front of the Hylian and gave a slight smile.

"C'mon," she began. "It won't be that bad. You always were adventurous. You'll be able to get this over and done with rather quickly, even without the Power of the Sages."

At those words, Link's lips curled into a small smile. He gave a soft sigh and nodded, walking through the eastern door. Walking through the corridor and into the next room, he suddenly gasped as the door slammed shut behind him, and the familiar iron bars blocking the way. With a grunt, he touched one of the bars, only to howl in pain as a zap of electricity ran through his body. He instantly jerked his hand away.

"Gah!" he yelped. "What the hell's this?"

Hearing a sinister sounding drum-beat, Link turned around, to face an empty room. A malevolent snicker from above forced the boy to look upwards, growling out in frustration as an enemy dropped down. It was an enemy he'd known all too well.

"You again!" he hissed. "The Masked Jungle Warrior, Odolwa!"

Odolwa scowled, drawing his sword and holding his shield up. Ignoring Link's words, the monster began his attack, eyeing his foe carefully. With a scowl to rival that of the warrior, Link drew his own sword and began defending. Navi's eyes widened as she scanned Odolwa, analysing him.

"Odolwa," she began. "The Masked Jungle Warrior returned from beyond. Find a way to lower his guard."

Link scowled and equipped his bow. With a growl, he expertly shot an arrow at the fiend, who instantly repelled it with his shield. Growling with even more frustration, Link shot another one, this time at the beast's head, the shot also being repelled. Odolwa snickered behind his shield, until he suddenly felt a sharp pain in his left leg. Looking over at Link, the fiend noticed the Hylian's smirk, a smirk which could even put Ganondorf to shame. Looking down at his leg, Odolwa suddenly fell to his knees, and that's when Link began his finishing attack.

Return to darkness!

Racing towards Odolwa, he lunged at the beast, his sword delivering a devastating blow that destroyed Odolwa in a single strike. With the foe defeated, the seal was removed from the doorway, and a treasure chest appeared, the oversized chest being the boy's reason for entering the room. With a snort, Link opened it, blinking in surprise at the contents inside.

What is this?!

Navi blinked.

"That's a... Poe Charm..." she said, confused. "This trinket allows you to summon any ghostly lifeform within the area you currently are. Although... why would you want to do that?"

Link grumbled softly, shrugging his shoulders.

I haven't the faintest idea. I just want to get out of here... and save Saria.

Navi giggled softly at Link's frustration, and motioned for him to leave the room. As Link nodded and began to walk over to the door, he was thrown from his feet, when the ground beneath him suddenly rose.

"Damn!" he screeched, rubbing his smarting rear-end. "I hate it when stuff like this happens..."

The ground suddenly stopped moving, allowing the Hylian to stand up again. He glanced warily around the room. It appeared empty, save a strange marking on the floor. The marking gave a dull glow, which piqued Link's curiosity.

I wonder what that could be?

Turning to face Navi, he suddenly noticed strange markings on the nearby wall. Approaching it, he inspected it carefully, noting inwardly that the markings appeared to be writing. Reading the inscription out loud, he earned himself a strange look from Navi, his fairy companion clearly not understanding a single word he'd said.

"Um," she mumbled. "Come again?"

Link had a thoughtful expression on his face, the boy looking down at the marking on the floor.

"It was an ancient text," he said, his voice void of all but curiosity. "'On our crest, if you should stand, charm of spirits in your hand... Turn your back to common doors, and a new way forward shall be yours.' It's ancient Hylian, I know it. It's strange, but I've always somehow been able to read it."

The little fairy shivered. Things were indeed getting strange, and she knew one thing. She didn't like strange. Link seemed a little disconcerted at his ability to read and translate an ancient language. Navi gave an inward sigh.

He's already getting things dealt harshly. I only hope he can handle having to save Hyrule again.

Link turned to Navi and forced a smile, the fairy forcing her own smile. With a slight nod, Link stepped on the crest, waiting expectantly. Nothing happened.

"Huh?" Navi muttered. "Why isn't it working?"

Staring at the writing some more, Link's ear suddenly twitched. Without warning, he grabbed his shield and held it out behind him, just in time for a sharp rock to slam into it. Turning around, the boy noticed the origin of the rock.

Another cursed Deku. Could this be one of the brothers the other Deku Nut told me about?

Thinking of his first battle with the Mad Knight at the entrance, Link instantly used Din's Flames, hoping to break the curse quickly, but was in for a shock. The possessed Deku instantly cast its own spell, protecting itself from the magic flames.

Clever Nut... This presents me with an enigma.

Navi suddenly flew in front of the boy, holding her tiny hands out towards the Mad Knight.

"Link," she cried shrilly. "Let me show you what my training has allowed me to accomplish!"

Link shook his head vigorously and moved his shield in front of the fairy, who gave a cry of protest.

"I can do this!" she insisted. "I can handle this, Link! Believe in me!"

The Mad Knight eyed the two friends suspiciously. It prepared to launch an attack. As Link watched the creature, he grit his teeth some more, and with a nod, returned the shield on his back. With a smile, Navi nodded back and flew towards the Mad Knight.

"Here goes nothing!" she said. "Let me show you my new power!"

The fairy hovered in front of the Mad Knight, the Deku giving a low hiss and attacking, but Navi dodged quickly. Clearly, she had great agility, but what about power? Would she be enough to stop this Deku and break the curse placed on it? Suddenly, she began glowing brighter.

Posted Image

"Kaze no Yousei!" the fairy cried out, her attack command summoning intense winds, which whipped at everything in the dimly lit room. Link was forced to close one of his eyes and hold his hat down to stop it from being blown away.

Whoa! She really is powerful. Such force...

The Mad Knight was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately for the woodland creature, it stood no chance. The Deku squealed as the wind's intensity got so great, it was picked up and spun around and around, before finally being thrown down at the ground with an "OOMPH!", causing Link to cringe.

Oh... that, had to hurt...

The wind subsided, and Navi gave a soft sigh. Link was impressed with her power.

"Impressive!" he exclaimed, before suddenly becoming solemn. "But... that Deku... the attack... do you think it survived?"

A soft gurgle was the boy's answer as the Deku stood up and blinked in confusion.

"Huh?" it pondered. "W-what is going on-pi? Last thing I remember, I was going to the Forest Shrine to get some herbs for dinner, and suddenly, I see a Hylian and a fairy-pi."

Link sweatdropped, but offered a smile. Navi hovered in front of the Deku child.

"You were cursed, and attacked us..." she said softly. "...but now you're all better."

The fairy deliberately omitted the part where she assaulted it. After all, it was only a child. The confused Deku tilted its large head to the side, blinking. It then gave a smile of sorts and bowed.

"Thank you for saving me-pi..." the creature mumbled gratefully. "But what are you doing here-pi?"

Link and Navi glanced at each other, then back at the Deku, before the Hylian spoke up again.

"Hyrule is under threat from Ganondorf again," he said, practically spitting out the Gerudo's name with hatred. "We're trying to break the curses placed on the temples and defeat him, once and for all."

The Deku nodded in honest understandment.

"Such a noble deed-pi..." the small creature said. "Let me tell you a bit about this temple-pi. There is a hidden sanctum which can be reached from this very room-pi."

Bowing once more, the Deku suddenly blinked.

"Did you see my brothers-pi?" it asked. Link and Navi hesitated for a moment, before Navi spoke up.

"We saw one of your brothers..." she said. "He was also cursed, but we broke the curse on him and he's on his way home."

The small creature nodded in acknowledgement.

"In that case, I must bid you both farewell-pi!" it said. "I need to get out of here in case I get cursed again-pi. If you see my brother in the Forest Shrine, please help him-pi. Thank you once again-pi!"

With another bow, the Deku ran off, disappearing in a flash of light. Link grumbled softly, turning back to the crest on the floor.

"On our crest, if you should stand..." he mumbled thoughtfully. "Charm of spirits in your hand... charm... of spirits?"

Suddenly, Link and Navi both realized what the text was referencing.

"The Poe Charm!" they exclaimed in unison. "It must be!"

Link held the charm in his hand and waited expectantly, but still, nothing happened. In frustration, he turned away to rub his head, when suddenly, the charm began to glow. Navi looked at the Hylian in wonder.

"I think I get it!" she gasped. "Turn your back to common doors, and a new way forward shall be yours. You weren't facing the door. It must be a decoy!"

As she said those words, the room began to dim some more before a ghostly apparition appeared before them. The spirit appeared to be sad.

"The forest is in great despair..." it said softly. "Evil power floats through the air. But with the courage that you know best, please guide us to eternal rest. With your courage, you will do fine... now, follow me into the shrine."

Closing its eyes, the spirit held out its arms and concentrated, the nearby wall suddenly fading away. Link noticed a mysterious glade. Stepping towards it, he glanced upwards and gasped, noticing that he couldn't see the sky. The spirit moved forward, beckoning for Link and Navi to follow it. The two friends glanced at one another, before nodding and continuing forward. It seemed to get a little darker as they went deeper inside, but before long, they stopped in front of what could only be the inner shrine. The spirit glanced sorrowfully at Link.

"Inside this shrine, dark power grows..." the spirit said softly. "...darkness of limits that no-one knows."

The ghost held out a hand as a strange trinket appeared in it.

"Take this charm, from friends divine..." it continued. "...and proceed deep into the shrine. Our foe lies in the darkest room, but with this charm, you will seal its doom."

Link took the trinket and examined it. Looking back at the ghost, he gasped as it slowly began to fade away.

"Young hero, with courage that will never end..." it said eerily. "Please rescue our dear forest friend."

With those words, the spirit completely disappeared, leaving Link and Navi alone at the entrance to the shrine. Glancing at his fairy companion, Link nodded, acknowledging his destiny. As Navi retreated into her hiding place, the Hylian opened the door, and stepped into the shrine.

End of Chapter 2.

Posted Image

Chapter 3: Forest, Heart of Evil

Glancing around the large shrine, Link shivered. It was full of an evil energy, and was dark and gloomy.

I wonder why I've never seen this place before? That place in the Temple of the Forest... it wasn't there before... so why now?

Giving a sigh, Link noticed three doorways. The left doorway appeared to be the only one he could go through, as the others had iron bars blocking them.

No doubt they have electricity running through them. Stupid bars.

Walking over to the left doorway, Link stepped through it, and walked through the hallway to the door on the other side. Frowning some more, he drew his sword and shield.

"Navi," he muttered. "Get ready. I have a feeling this door is going to lock behind me. I'll need an analysis of whatever is hiding in this room."

The fairy flew out next to Link and nodded.

"Got it," she said softly. "I'm ready... let's go."

Opening the door, Link walked through it, Navi by his side. True to his suspicion, it slammed down behind him, electrified iron bars and all. Looking around, he noticed a pair of red eyes glaring out at him. A strange noise was emitted, and the shadowed figure walked out of the darkness, into the dimly lit room.

The last of the Deku siblings... if Navi and I work together, maybe we can--

The Deku suddenly lunged, catching Link by surprise and knocking him over. The little plant grabbed a sharp stone and pressed it to the Hylian's throat.

"What have you done to them-pi?" it hissed out angrily. "My brothers... where are they-pi?"

Blinking profusely, Link stared back at the Deku.

"We saved them," he gulped softly, trying not to make his throat move so much, lest his throat be slit. "They..."

Navi took over for Link, flying down in front of the Deku Nut.

"Hey," she said softly. "Your brothers were cursed by the evil power that has taken the forest. We broke the curse on both of them, and they asked that we break the curse on you... if you were cursed."

Its expression softening, the Deku took the sharp stone away from Link's throat, and let him up.

"I'm sorry-pi..." it sighed guiltily. "I got separated from my brothers when picking mushrooms-pi. When I came here, I was locked in-pi. When you both came in, I thought you had locked me here, and were going to finish me off-pi."

Link stood up, dusted himself off and shook his head slowly.

"No problem..." he said with a slight smile. "I know what it's like... when everyone is bigger, and a potential predator."

The Deku tilted its head to the side in confusion. Link sweatdropped and shuddered, recalling his adventure in Termina.

"It happened a few years ago..." he began. "I found myself in a foreign land, and was robbed by a Stal Kid. When I chased after him, he turned me into a Deku Nut. I was able to turn back into a Hylian again, thanks to a magical melody, but in order to save that land, I needed to do tasks as my normal self, as well as in Deku, Goron and Zora forms."

The Deku merely blinked profusely at Link's story, clearly amazed. It noticed that Navi was also surprised at this information. The plant-form suddenly sweatdropped, glancing back at his mushrooms.

"Oh, um... okay-pi..." it began. "I don't mean to be rude, but I would really like to get out of here-pi. I need to get these mushrooms home, and I don't like the way those eyes are looking at me-pi."

Blinking, Link glanced around, and suddenly noticed two eye switches. They had been hidden rather well, but from the angle he was facing now, he could see them. Sweatdropping, the boy took out his bow, shooting an arrow into one of the eye switches. The eye closed, and a treasure chest appeared. Walking over to it, Link opened the chest, revealing nothing but an old scroll.

It... doesn't look like a map... I wonder what it is?

The Deku Nut and Navi both stared at him as he began to read it aloud. Speaking in the strange ancient language, he re-read it aloud, but this time in modern Hylian.

"If light is where you wish to go..." he mumbled softly. "Take me, and one day you'll know."

Breathing an exasperated sigh, the Hylian shot an arrow at the other eye switch, making the iron bars raise, unlocking the door. The Deku bowed in thanks and hopped out of the room. Taking a glance at Navi, Link nodded and walked out the room, his fairy partner hiding in her usual place once more. Entering the main chamber once more, Link glanced around, noticing that the door on the right had strangely unlocked. The boy gave an exasperated sigh, looking down at the scroll he was still holding.

What's with the mystic words on this scroll?

Putting the scroll away, he walked over to the newly unlocked door, opened it, and walked through the hallway to another door. Drawing his sword, he walked through, and as he predicted to himself, the door slammed shut behind him, locking tightly. A strange growth began to occur in the centre of the room.

"Navi..." he said through gritted teeth. "There's something in here."

The fairy came out of her hiding place and scanned around. Looking over at the growth, she thought carefully. Suddenly, the growth shot up, revealing a familiar looking sprout. Navi's quick analysis was given.

"Deku Sprout!" she gasped. "It's an evil sprout of the Deku Tree! Watch it carefully, and attack when you have the chance! That growth on its head looks rather suspicious..."

Link frowned and held up his shield as the Deku Sprout launched a barrage of Deku Seeds at him. They bounced off the Hylian's shield, but the force of each nut hitting his shield was enough to knock him back with every strike.

"Unh!" the hero grunted. "He's tough! Can you distract him for me, Navi?"

The fairy nodded, and began hovering in front of the Deku Sprout. The plant took the bait, attempting to spit seeds at Navi, who dodged them. Link took this as his chance to attack. He lunged at the tree, only to give a surprised gasp as the growth on the sprout's head shrunk into its body, his sword bouncing harmlessly from the sprout's body. Its eyes glowing eerily, it spun around and swung a trunk at Link. The branch found its target, knocking the Hylian across the room.

"Link!" Navi gasped, before suddenly being smacked with a Deku Seed. "Owww!"

Link's eyes shot open and the Hylian glared in rage.

I'll kill you for that!

Deciding to try a new tactic, Link pulled his arm back, and with great force, he hurled his shield at the plant. A loud thud was heard as the shield connected with the evil tree, knocking it over. The growth on its head showed itself once again, and as the plant began to get to its feet, the Hylian had already launched himself at the sprout, his sword bearing down on the growth. Hitting with deadly force, the tree let out a shriek, suddenly splitting in half, before disappearing in a puff of smoke. A button switch appeared on the floor and the door unlocked.

"Navi!" Link gasped out, running over to his fairy friend. "Are you okay?"

The fairy opened her eyes and blinked.

"Ohh," she groaned, holding her head. "That hurt... but did you get it?"

Link smiled and knelt down.

"Yeah..." the Hylian replied, nodding. "I destroyed it."

Navi smiled in return and began to hover, flying up beside the hero.

"I'll be fine," she said, noticing Link's worried look. "Let's break the curse."

Nodding, Link stood up, letting Navi hide back in her usual place. He then ran over to the button switch and stepped on it, having a feeling he knew what it would trigger. With a sigh, he ran over to the door and opened it. Back out in the main chamber, he glanced over at the centre door, which sure enough, had unlocked. Taking a breath, he approached the door.

Time to face the source of the evil in the forest...

Swallowing, he opened the door and stepped inside the central chamber, glancing around. It was darker than anywhere else in the Temple of the Forest and Forest Shrine. He felt a chill go up his spine when he heard heavy breathing.

"So," a voice said ominously. "You finally made it."

Posted Image

Link's heart froze, and he could literally feel the ice forming on it. He turned around slowly.

No... it can't be...?

His eyes falling on the source of the malevolent voice, the Hylian's heart stopped beating, his eyes widening and filling with tears upon realising he was looking at his best friend.

"What's the matter?" the Kokiri girl smirked. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

Backing away a few steps, Link began to shiver.

"N-no..." he whimpered. "Not you, Saria... why?"

Saria simply smirked wider.

"I don't know why you're so upset..." she snickered. "After all, King Ganondorf wants you dead, and who better than to do the job than me?"

The tears that had formed began trickling down the boy's cheeks.

"But... you're my best friend!" he protested. "Why... how could you betray me?"

The Kokiri snorted, her eyes glinting eerily. They burned deeply into the Hylian male's soul.

"It is what my king commands..." she scoffed, drawing a small dagger. "This was fated to happen. Now shut up and stop snivelling. It's pathetic... and weak."

Navi flew out from her hiding space, her eyes narrowing. She knew something weird was happening, since before Saria had disappeared, she had confided to the fairy that Link and her would always remain friends. She frowned as Saria turned and walked away, before turning again, her eyes glowing ominously. The girl assumed a fighting stance.

"Prepare to die," she hissed evilly. "Nobody stands in the great Ganondorf's way and lives."

Link tightened his grip on his sword, standing motionless and heartbroken. Navi frowned some more and hovered in front of the Hylian.

"Get a grip, Link!" she cried. "She's possessed! You have to fight, and break the curse. If you just stand there, you'll die, and Hyrule... no... the entire world will be covered in darkness!"

The boy wiped his eyes and gritted his teeth together. Grinding them, he assumed a defensive stance, making Navi nod, before turning to Saria to analyse her.

"Saria," she began. "Sage, and spirit of the forest, possessed by the Evil King! She controls all forest lifeforms. Vanquish the evil darkness that controls her, and restore her purity!"

Link nodded, and went in for the attack. Saria snickered and parried Link's attack with her knife. As the boy jumped back, pondering what move he should make next, the possessed Kokiri held her free hand out, palm facing Link. Suddenly, it began to glow with a dark green energy.

"Time to die!" Saria laughed, her tone menacing. "Goodbye!"

The girl unleashed the energy, but Link countered with the magic of Nayru's Love. It absorbed the dark forest magic and made it disappear. His eyes filling with tears, Link drew his bow, and shot an Arrow of Fire at the girl. Saria dodged it quickly, snarling at Link.

"You'll have to do better than that!" she hissed in rage. "You're too slow!"

It then dawned on her that Navi wasn't with Link. Realisation set in too late as she heard the fairy's voice call out.

"Kaze no Yousei!" Navi yelled, summoning the power of the wind. As her attack command was obeyed, she watched as Link held onto his hat, and braced for the power of the wind. Saria wasn't prepared, wind whipping at her. Despite being caught off guard, she only got pushed back a few feet, before dispelling the magic, giving an evil glare to the fairy.

"You'll pay for that!" she hissed, her eyes narrowing to the tiniest slits. "Nobody sneak attacks me and gets away with it!"

She concentrated more dark energy and prepared to fire it at Navi, but she fell to her knees as she felt a burning pain in her back. Looking around, she saw Link, bow poised, with tears streaming from his eyes. An Arrow of Fire had been shot into her, and now the Hylian had an Arrow of Light prepared.

Saria... I'm sorry...

Link fired, the divine arrow striking Saria's chest. She clutched her chest and glowered at Link, gripping her dagger tighter. The Hylian approached quickly, sword poised, ready to strike.

"Forgive me, Saria..." he whispered, bringing the sword down on the girl. "I didn't want to..."

The attack landed, and Saria fell to the ground, weakened, the dagger dropping beside her, and disappearing into nothingness. Her eyes returned to their original colour, and she smiled weakly up at the hero.

"Thank you, Link..." she murmured weakly. "You broke the curse on me, and have returned the forest to normal. I'm going to grant you the power of the forest, but..."

Saria closed her eyes, tears beginning to stream from them. Her weakened and bloody body began to shimmer, as too did the charm that Link was given from the forest spirit. Saria's eyes opened once more and they locked onto Link's, a sad smile on her lips.

"I must give my life..." she began. "I must sacrifice myself to bestow you this power."

Cradling the shimmering girl in his arms, Link shook his head in despair.

"Saria, no!" he wailed. "Don't do it! Stop! Please don't! Saria!"

Saria's sad smile widened, more tears emerging from her eyes, her body beginning to fade.

"I must go..." she said, her voice cracking. "But I'll always be a part of you. Goodbye, my dear friend."

With those words, Saria faded and her energy was absorbed into the charm, before it faded into Link's body. As he felt his power grow, the boy heard Saria's final words.

"I will always be... your friend..."

Dropping his sword and shield, Link fell to his knees, tears flowing freely from his eyes. He began sobbing uncontrollably. He didn't even notice the blue aura that surrounded him, returning him to Kokiri Forest. He didn't notice the blood that began to seep from the palms of his hands, a result of his fingernails clenching into them. He didn't even notice the rest of the Kokiri react in shock as he slammed his fists into the ground and screamed up at the heavens.

"SARIAAAAAAAAAA!"

End of Chapter 3.

Posted Image

Chapter 4: Death Mountain

A day had passed since Saria had sacrificed her life to give Link more power, and the Hylian wasn't taking it well. He had taken to staying in Saria's house, and sitting on her bed, refusing to let anyone enter. None of the Kokiri knew how to approach him, the boy becoming really sullen and irate. Mido had approached him to talk, and Link had practically bitten his head off. The green hatted boy was still brooding over the loss of his best friend. Navi frowned and sat upon Link's left shoulder.

"Hey," she said, softly but firmly. "Stop this nonsense at once! Saria wouldn't want you to be like this. Like it or not, you have to save Hyrule. You're the only one who-"

She was cut off by a low growl, looking up to see the Hylian glaring daggers at her.

Shut up, Navi...

Navi opened her mouth to speak, but Link got in first.

"I just lost my best friend..." he said through clenched teeth. "Ganondorf... damn it! He turned her against me, and forced us to fight. I could have declined. I could have just let her kill me, but no! Due to this damned destiny of mine, I am the one who must save the world."

Link's eyes narrowed, an angry scowl appearing on his lips.

"I'm sick of it," he snarled. "I'm sick of it all. Why must I be the one to save everybody? Why must I put my life on the line every time? Why must I suffer, all because this is thrown on my shoulders by those sadistic bitch goddesses--"

SMACK! The loud sound echoed throughout the house. Link gaped at Navi in surprise.

...she... I got slapped... by my own fairy?

The fairy scowled, her eyes narrowing, her hand still in the same spot it ended up in after slapping the boy's face.

"How dare you..." she hissed. "Do you think Saria would be proud of you right now, hearing such words being spoken? She must be disgusted!"

Link's eyes filled with tears and he lifted his hand to his red cheek, rubbing it to dull the pain, trying to choke back a sob, but in vain. Once more, his emotions cascaded, and at once, Navi felt somewhat guilty.

"I'm sorry..." she said softly, flying in front of the boy's face. "I'm sorry I was so harsh on you. You did just lose possibly the most important person to you... but you are going to need to continue this quest. You're our only hope. This world needs you to defend it from the Evil King! I'm not asking you to forget Saria, but just don't grieve like this."

Link opened his mouth to speak, but Navi cut him off.

"Saria will always be a part of you," she said comfortingly, giving a soft smile. "Think of it this way... she isn't dead, but she's actually now a part of you. She cared and trusted you so much, that she willingly gave up her form, and transferred her spirit into you."

Sniffling, Link gave his own smile. It was a sad one, but a smile nonetheless.

"It still hurts..." he mumbled. "...and I can't help but desire to avenge her."

Navi flew closer to the boy.

"Well..." she answered. "Just keep your anger bottled up, and unleash it on Ganondork."

Despite his feelings of grief, Link suddenly began laughing. It was so unexpected, his laughter brought the curious Kokiri folk to look inside the house. Stopping his laughter, Link let out a sigh.

"Thank you, Navi..." he began, with a soft sigh. "Thanks for smacking some sense into me."

The fairy just grinned and turned, blinking at the rest of the Kokiri, many of whom jumped and went back to their business. However, one got up the nerve to enter Saria's house. Despite Link's attitude towards him earlier, Mido still had the need to speak to the Hylian..

"I'm sorry for intruding," he said softly. "But Mr. Deku Tree told me everything, about what happened. I'd like you to do something for me."

Glancing at the Kokiri through slowly drying tears, Link nodded slowly. Mido softly clapped a hand on Link's shoulder, and stared into the other male's eyes, his own eyes showing a burning fire within them.

"For all of us in the forest," he began. "Make that evil bastard pay."

Link nodded, before holding his hand out in front of him. Knowing exactly what the Hylian was doing, Mido clasped it between both hands, and lowered his head to them, Link following suit a moment later. Having made a Kokiri Promise, the Hylian stared back into Mido's eyes, his own inner fire burning more fiercely.

"I will..." he mumbled. "I'm going to destroy him once and for all."

Hands released, Link stood and walked to the door, glancing back inside at the Kokiri male, who made to follow him.

"I'm going home..." the hero said. "...to prepare for my journey."

Leaving Saria's house, Link returned to his own, paying little attention to the other Kokiri, all who were watching him in curiosity. As he went inside, he turned his head back, noticing Mido gathering the other Kokiri around, preparing them for what was to come. With a nod down to the Kokiri leader, he entered his house, and reached for his heat-resistant tunic. Placing it on, he gave a soft sigh, before heading back outside. As he glanced down from his balcony, he noticed the Kokiri were all waiting for him. Mido gave a small smile and nodded up at him.

"Saria... is gone..." the blond began, waiting for the surprised gasps to fade before continuing. "She was possessed... by someone who is threatening the world, but... she is a part of me, and now... I must leave this forest once again. I must protect the world... I shall keep it safe... I will triumph over this evil... and when I return... Saria's memory shall live on. We will celebrate her life. For this forest, I will avenge Saria!"

The Kokiri all began to applaud, many of them cheering out Link's name. The Hylian smiled and took out his Ocarina. Placing it to his lips, he played the Bolero of the Flames. The Kokiri had quietened, listening to the strange song. Opening his eyes as he finished, Link kept his glance on his forest friends, as red sparkles surrounded him, and carried him away.

Posted Image

The heat was more intense than the boy remembered. Then again, it had been five years since he'd been in the crater of Death Mountain. Navi yelped as a flare shot up near her.

"The evil here is worse than I thought!" she exclaimed. "I'm glad the power of your tunic is passed on to me, otherwise, I'd be a toasty fairy."

Link gave a slight grin, before turning to the small cave that contained the ladder that went down to the entrance of the Temple of Flames. Giving a sigh, he noticed it was closed off.

Great... just great! How are we going to get in there now?

Link cast a questioning glance to Navi. The fairy shook her head, glancing around. She had absolutely no idea how to even enter the temple either. Suddenly, she spotted something.

"Up there, Link!" she called out. "I can see a switch!"

Link glanced up to where his partner was pointing. Sure enough, there was an eye switch. Most of it was hidden by rock and smoke, but there was a small part of it visible. Taking out his bow, the Hylian pulled an arrow out of his quiver, and fired it at the switch. The eye closed, and the strange doorway began to open. Link didn't waste any time. He ran into the small cave and glanced at the ladder. Slowly, he clambered onto it, but as soon as his hands touched the rungs, he let out a scream of pain, a loud sizzling sound being emanated.

"Yeowwch!" he screamed. "HOT! HOT! HOT!"

Suddenly, he slipped from the ladder and plummeted to the ground beneath him, landing with a thud. A sickening crack caused Navi to flinch. Gritting his teeth, Link got to his feet, but was cradling his right arm.

"Damn it!" he hissed, tears of pain welling in his eyes. "I've gone and broken my arm! Add this to the list of things to slaughter Ganondorf for at the end of this journey."

Cringing, Navi flew down to her Hylian friend.

"Are you going to be okay?" she asked, concerned. "I don't think you'll be able to use that arm for a while."

Link forced a smile, even though the pain was intense. Giving a nod, he clutched tighter at his arm as it throbbed with more pain.

"I'll be fine, Navi..." he said, forcing away the tears. "Once I'm done here, I'll visit the Great Fairy. She'll be able to heal this in no time at all."

Nodding, the fairy gave a slight smile. It was true. The Great Fairy could heal almost anything in an instant.

"Wait!" Navi suddenly cried. "I can help! I may not be able to completely heal your injury, but I can alleviate a fair deal of your pain. It's not perfect, but I think it could help. Hold still for a moment... this won't take long."

Suddenly, Navi began glowing a strange golden aura, her eyes closing as she concentrated. After a few moments passed, Link was ensnared within the same golden aura as Navi. Suddenly, his arm was no longer in as much pain as it was before. In fact, it wasn't too noticable. The aura fading, Navi opened her eyes, a sated look in them.

"That took a bit out of me..." she panted. "But I'll be fine. I'm new at this all, so yeah..."

Link smiled sincerely, nodding his head.

"Thanks, Navi..." he mumbled. "You've done more for me than you've ever taken credit for."

In spite of herself, Navi grinned, her strength slowly returning. Within a few moments, her strength had fully returned. Link's smile widened slightly, before completely fading as he turned to face the entrance to the Temple of Flames.

Here goes... I can't turn back now. I have to break the curse on this temple... again, to restore peace to Death Mountain.

Slowly, the two entered the Temple of Flames.

End of Chapter 4.

• 1 year later...

Posted Image

Chapter 5: Temple of Flames

It was even hotter inside the Temple of Flames. With the intense heatwaves, Link could only see a few feet ahead. Beyond that was all blurry, and in spite of the heat resistant tunic he wore, he was perspiring like mad.

This is unbearable! I feel like I'm going to melt!

The boy gave a soft pant as he wiped sweat from his brow. Moving forward, he cradled his broken arm protectively. Navi glanced at him worriedly.

"Hey..." she mumbled. "Maybe you should see the Great Fairy now."

The Hylian shook his head, and offered a strained smile.

"It's no use..." he replied. "I can't use the ladder now. Even if I warped back outside, what would that get me, since I'd have to climb back down? I'd only burn myself again, and possibly break something more valuable than an arm."

The fairy gave a thoughtful sound, seeming to contemplate Link's response, before giving a sigh of defeat.

"You kinda have a point there."

The two friends went silent once more, deciding it best to continue searching through the room to find the way forward. Naturally, all of the doors were locked, and Link couldn't help but feel something was off about that.

It just doesn't make sense.

As he glanced around at his surroundings, or at least the blurred renditions of them, he once again wiped sweat away. In desperation, he thought of an idea.

I wonder... will this work?

Navi stopped as she noticed Link withdraw the Ocarina of Time. Placing it to his lips, the boy played a familiar melody.

The thousand years of raindrops summoned by this song are my tears... and the thunder that strikes the earth is my anger.

His gamble paid off. Although inside, storm clouds appeared above them, and with a mighty flash of lightning, along with an almost deafening crash of thunder, the heavens opened up, and rain fell down. Some raindrops evaporated from the heat, but most of them made their mark. Link closed his eyes as he was drenched from the deluge.

I'll probably regret this later, but... at least I'm not burning up anymore.

The rain finally came to a stop, leaving Link and Navi totally soaked, but feeling somewhat comfortable.

"Well..." the fairy muttered. "That's one way to cool down. Not complaining or anything, but next time, I'd appreciate a little warning in advance."

A sly grin came to the Hylian's face.

"Oh?" he teased. "Well, I seem to remember a certain fairy getting a little too distracted from crystals to help me fight in the Cave of Ice."

Navi's aura went completely red with embarrassment for a moment, before returning to normal.

"Whatever..." she grumbled. "Well, at least we can see more clearly now."

Noticing the fairy's words were true, Link cast a quick look around the room, before chuckling as he finally noticed an eye switch, high up on the back wall. Suddenly, he gulped.

Damn! How can I activate it? My arm! I can't use my bow properly. I wonder if...

"Navi?" the boy asked, glancing at his fairy companion. "Do you think you can activate that switch? I'd do it myself, but... well... the arm."

Navi blinked, before giving a nod.

"Okay!" she answered. "I'll give it a try. Stand back, Link."

The fairy began to glow, energy building up around her. Link watched in awe as her power began to peak, before finally...

"Yousei Kousen!"

At her command, a beam of light shot from her body and activated the switch. The door on the far right opened, and Link at once headed towards it, stopping briefly to give Navi his thanks, before opening the door to enter the next room.

Posted Image

The Hylian gasped as he entered the room, realising it was completely different than the last time he had been there. Behind him, the door sealed, mist beginning to form. Teeth clenched together, Link drew his sword with his good hand, holding it clumsily.

Something's not right...

The boy was right to be wary. As he took a few steps forward, he managed to stop himself just in time, narrowly avoiding falling into a pit of molten lava.

...I don't think my tunic will protect against that, somehow.

He jumped back suddenly, as a creature shot out of the lava pit, landing on the other side. It stared him down, and through the haze, Link could barely see its form. It looked mostly human, if you didn't count the molten rock that made up its body. Glowing blue eyes remained fixed on their target.

What the hell IS that thing?

Navi glanced at it, squinting to see through the haze, before gasping.

"It's Magmos!" she exclaimed. "Its scorching body pales in comparison to its flame breath! Close combat is inadvisable!"

Clenching his teeth, Link shook his head. With no choice other than close quarters combat, he raced around the pit of lava, bringing his sword down on Magmos. The fiery creature just stood still, the sword smacking into its head, before bouncing away.

No way!

Magmos stared back at Link, before opening his mouth wide. The Hylian managed to jump to the side, narrowly avoiding a fireball that was shot at him.

That was too close!

Heart pounding in his chest, the boy was forced to dodge more fireballs, before Magmos began slowly moving towards him. Slowly backing away, Link glanced behind him, noticing he was right near the edge to the lava pit.

Damn it! What am I going to do?!

The temperature began rising, and once again, Link found himself perspiring. The same crazy idea from before entered his mind, and with great speed, the Ocarina of Time was placed at his lips. Navi gave a confused screech.

"Link!" she called. "Is now really the time?!"

Ignoring the fairy, he played the Song of Storms. Once more, storm clouds appeared above him. Lightning flashed, thunder crashed, and the rain came down in a torrential downpour. Magmos groaned, slowing to a halt right in front of Link, flames lowering in ferocity. The Hylian used this to his advantage and slashed away with his sword.

Will this work?

The blade connected, and pieces of molten rock began to crumble away. A relieved laugh came from the boy as he continued hacking away. Moments later, he landed the final blow, and the magma rocks flew apart. Link gasped as a Goron dropped to the floor, giving a groan.

First, the Deku... now Gorons?

The Goron shuddered, before blinking his eyes. Glancing around in confusion, he stood and stared at Link.

"Big Brother-goro?" the Goron asked. "Is that you-goro?"

Resisting the urge to groan, Link nodded, helping the Goron to his feet.

"Yeah... it's me..."

The Goron gave a relieved smile and bowed his head.

"It is good to see you again-goro..." he replied. "I am Komor-goro. I do not remember what happened-goro... but perhaps I can help you-goro."

Komor gestured behind him, where Link noticed a treasure chest. The Goron cleared his throat and continued.

"My task..." he explained. "...was to protect this treasure-goro. A prophecy speaks of an evil power that besieges the world, but a brave hero will stand up against it-goro. I believe that hero to be you, Big Brother-goro! I hope this treasure will help you-goro."

Link listened closely, giving a nod as Komor excused himself and left. Alone with Navi, he gave a sigh.

"Well..." he muttered. "Guess it's time to see what the treasure is..."

Walking towards the chest, he opened it, giving a grumble as he pulled out yet another scroll. Glancing at it, he read the Ancient Hylian contents in his mind, before translating it aloud.

"If light is what you must defend, keep me close, and find my every friend."

A look of confusion came to his face as he tried to make sense of the contents.

"Don't think too hard on it!" Navi piped up suddenly. "We need to find a way to break the curse on the temple."

With a shrug, the boy carefully navigated around the pit of lava, heading back out the door. Looking over to the other side of the corridor, he noticed the door was now unlocked, probably a result of defeating Magmos.

I wonder what I'll find in that room...

Taking a breath, he raced over to the other side, and opened the door, giving a slight cringe as his arm twitched in pain. Brushing the pain aside, the blond stared around. The room was exactly as he remembered it, however, the pillar was in place. Link's eyes narrowed in suspicion.

It doesn't make sense! That pillar shouldn't be there. I put that pillar there... but it hasn't happened yet, so...

With a grunt, he jumped onto the pillar, before heading to the other side, even more suspicious that the doorway that led to the inner lair was unshackled.

"Strange..." Navi said suddenly. "It's as if you've already been here... but you haven't... I mean... not yet... in this timeline."

Giving another shrug, Link opened the door and entered the inner lair, stopping with a gasp.

"But..." the boy breathed. "It's... impossible!"

The Hylian had vivid memories of battling Volvagia, but the room looked nothing like he remembered. Sure, there was a massive pit of lava, but if anything, it bore more resemblance to where he fought his very first Lizalfos as a child.

That was in the Dodongo's Cave... not the Temple of Flames. Just what the hell is going on?

Moving onwards, Link once again noticed strange markings on the wall.

More of the ancient language... something tells me that I'll be seeing a lot of this...

Staring at it, he read it aloud.

"Only if you're strong and brave..." he began. "...can you survive when magma fills this cave. Exercise your strength of will... and proceed by standing still."

Link cocked his head to the side, attempting to figure out the meaning behind the scripture. He glanced at Navi, the fairy glancing back. Suddenly, the ground began to rumble, and without warning, magma began to fill the room.

End of Chapter 5.

Hey! Nice to see you again!

To answer your question, no... you're not imagining things. I have indeed changed the logo, and even reworded a lot of the story. I didn't feel satisfied with how it was, but now, yeah.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy, and stay tuned for Chapter 5, which I will be working on when I finish work tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

In chapter three, is Saria armed? It sounded like she blocked the attack, but no weapon or shield is mentioned.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had intended for Saria to be holding a small dagger, but it seems I forgot to write it in there. I'll fix that up. I have fixed it now.

Just finished reading it all! Love it tons so far. 8D

Glad you enjoyed it. Let me further please your appetite with Chapter 6.
Posted Image

Chapter 6: Flames, Heart of Evil

The lava rose with frightening speed, much to the alarm of Link and Navi.

"No!" the fairy cried out. "We're trapped!"

Sweat pouring from him, Link glanced around, hoping for something, anything that would allow him and Navi to escape.

It's no use... the door is gone... Ganondorf... he's won... damn it!

The Hylian closed his eyes, teeth clenching tightly.

"No..." he hissed, balling his hands into fists. "I can't fail... Ganondorf... turned my best friend against me... forced me to kill her... I must avenge her death! But... this lava..."

His eyes suddenly shot open, and he stared over at Navi, determination growing within them.

"Navi!" he called out. "I have an idea! It's crazy... but... it has to work!"

The fairy gave a frantic nod, waiting to hear what Link had to say. The boy cleared his throat.

"Stay perfectly still!" he continued. "It's a long shot, but if we go by the ancient text, we must remain still!"

The terror in Navi's tiny eyes increased, and for a moment, she thought the heat must have gotten to Link. But then it dawned on her.

"Just like the Temple of the Forest..." she murmured. "The ancient spirits... Okay..."

The two nodded at one another, gulped, and remained still. Both of them closed their eyes as the magma rose, getting closer and closer to their level. The heat was immense, but neither of them budged.

If I'm wrong, I hope Hyrule can forgive me...

Just as the lava was about to reach him, Link felt a cold chill pass over his body. He suddenly felt lighter, and the heat was no longer as intense. When the boy finally opened his eyes, he glanced around and noticed that he was no longer in the same room. Glancing beside him, he gave a relieved sigh as he noticed his fairy companion was with him.

"What a relief!" the fairy exclaimed. "That was such a crazy idea, Link! How did you know it'd work?"

An enigmatic smile came to the Hylian's face, the teen giving a shrug. As Navi began to protest, Link cut her off.

"The ancient script..." he explained. "...it said to exercise one's force of will, and proceed by standing still."

Navi nodded, and Link resumed his explanation.

"The way I saw it..." the boy continued. "...is that when one finds themselves in a room that is filling with magma, the natural reaction is to panic, and try and get to higher ground. But that's not all. We were already standing on a pillar with strange markings of its own."

To this, Navi gave a cry of understanding.

"I see now!" she asserted. "We must have been standing on a magic seal! If that is the case, you must have figured that we should heed the message, and hope for the best!"

The boy gave a nervous chuckle and nodded.

"Something like that..." he murmured. "It was a stupid guess, but at least it paid off."

Suddenly, Link's sword was in hand as he heard soft whispering. Swiftly, he turned around, and took a surprised step back as he saw a Poe.

"Hero chosen for this land..." it began, extending its wispy hand. "Please reach forth, and take my hand."

Hesitantly, Link sheathed his weapon, and reached out for the spirit.

"Who..." he began. "Who are you?"

The ghost gave a slight smile and took the Hylian's hand.

"I am a spirit from days long past..." it continued. "I cannot explain, we must act fast. The mountain flames are in despair, evil power floats through the air. With the courage that you know best, please guide us to eternal rest."

Feeling his surroundings drop away, Link glanced around, unable to make any sense of his environment, everything a total blur. Moments later, he reappeared in an unseen part of the Temple of Flames. The spirit released his hand and pointed towards a massive doorway.

"Within that hall, dark power grows..." the ghost added. "...darkness of limits that no-one knows."

A charm suddenly appeared in the spirits hand, which it passed to Link. The Hero stared at its design, noting the insignia of the Flame Spirits.

"Another charm..." he muttered. "But..."

"Take this charm, and use it well..." the spirit interrupted. "It shall aid against the evil spell. Our foe lies in the darkened room, but with this charm, you will seal its doom. Young hero, as before, we ask the same, please rescue our friend of flame."

The ghost disappeared, leaving Link perplexed. Navi flew down in front of the boy's face.

"Link..." she mumbled softly. "We'd better get this over with. You still need to see the Great Fairy about your arm."

Navi's words about his arm reminded the boy about his previous injury, which of course, made it ache slightly. Brushing away the pain, Link moved towards the door. After taking a breath, he opened it, and went inside.

Posted Image

Link was unprepared for just how hot it was in the chamber, though the heat seemed a little... different.

It's almost as if... it's not natural.

The room was shrouded in a very dense mist, and he found it quite hard to see, but before he could explore more of it, he froze, hearing footsteps approaching. A silhouette appeared in the mist, and as it got closer, the source emerging, Link suddenly felt cold, in spite of the heat.

"W-why?" he choked out. "Why are you...?"

A familiar Goron face looked back at the teenager, face expressionless.

"Why?" Link repeated, dreading the answer. "Darunia... why are you here?"

The Goron leader gave a slight smirk.

"To kill you..." was the simple reply, Darunia punching his fists together. "That is all..."

With a growl, Link drew his sword and glared toward his Sworn Brother.

Ganondorf did this... and I have to...

Teeth clenched together, Link listened as Navi spoke.

"Darunia," she began. "Sage, and spirit of flames, possessed by the Evil King! He can control all nearby fire. Vanquish the evil darkness that controls him, and restore his purity!"

The possessed Goron and the Hylian remained still, staring each other down, before finally, Link made the first move. With a scream, he rushed for Darunia. Bringing his sword down, he gasped as the Goron managed to block the attack with his bare hands.

But... how?

Darunia smirked wider, his eyes flashing ominously. Flames began to shoot towards Link, forcing him to make a desperate move. Releasing the handle of his sword, he jumped away just in time for the flames to miss.

Damn... that was too close! But... my sword... what am I going to do?

"Yousei Hikari!"

Link was broken from his thoughts by Navi's cry. He snapped his gaze to her, noticing that she was focusing a new spell. A white aura began brightening around the fairy, forcing Link to shield his eyes. Darunia wasn't so lucky, and blinding white caused him to yell in pain.

"The light!" the Goron screamed, dropping the sword to the ground. "It burns!"

The light faded, and Navi lowered to the ground, weakened.

"Link!" she called out, taking breaths. "Now's... your chance!"

Opening his eyes, Link spotted his sword. Racing for it, he picked it up, driving the blade through Darunia, removing it in one swift motion. The Goron's eyes shot open, their dark glow fading. Darunia dropped to the ground, mortally wounded. Link was overwhelmed by anguish once again, not even noticing that the heat and mist began to fade.

First Saria... now... ...why? Why?

As tears pooled in his eyes, Link stared down at his hands, covered in the blood of the Goron he'd looked up to. Darunia smiled weakly and reached a hand up, gently clapping it atop the boy's head.

"Thank... you..." the Goron wheezed. "I knew... I could always... count on you... Brother..."

Link's tears began to flow as he took in Darunia's words.

"No..." he choked out. "I... you're going to... it's all my fault!"

The Goron shook his head, smile widening a little.

"No..." Darunia countered. "This was... the only way... but... there is... one more thing... that... I can do..."

The boy watched as his Sworn Brother's body began to shimmer, the charm he had received from the spirit doing the same. A choked sob emerged as he watched the Goron's body begin to fade.

"Brother..." the Goron elder continued. "Take my spirit... and never... forget... I will... always... be a... part... of... you..."

Darunia completely vanished, his energy transferring into the charm, which dissolved into Link. His power growing, Link closed his eyes, letting the tears flow as he and Navi were sent back to the Death Mountain Caldera, his Sworn Brother's last words echoing in his mind.

"I am proud of you... Brother..."

End of Chapter 6.

I'm impressed how well you're balancing between tragedy and adventure, with the reader feeling links sadness while still anticipating the next temple.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you feel that way. You are quite correct with the whole balancing that I'm doing. I intend to make this more about the adventure... and the ending, which I already have figured out (and have had for the past couple years) is going to be something that will leave you in shock, but I hope will be equally as enjoyed.

Needless to say, without giving too much away, Link's hardships are only going to increase intensely, and this is going to affect him greatly. How? You'll have to wait for me to write it.

• 2 months later...

Posted Image

Chapter 7: Lake Hylia

Link remained silent as he walked towards Hyrule's lakeside area. His visit to the Great Fairy saw his broken bone mended, but in spite of this, he maintained a solemn silence, and seemed to be deeply contemplative. He'd now lost not only his best childhood friend, but yet another, his Sworn Brother, due to the malignant power of Ganondorf. Navi kept a respectful silence of her own, understanding that Link was trying his best to cope with the loss of his friends.

"Navi..." Link's voice suddenly broke the silence. "What do you think we'll find when we get to the lake?"

The fairy gave a soft sigh and thought to herself.

"I don't know..." she answered softly. "But even if it's anything bad, I'll be here for you, Link."

The corners of Link's mouth curled into a slight smile, albeit a very fragile one. The blond male suddenly blinked as he noticed they were close to Lake Hylia.

"Navi..." he murmured, tensing up. "We're here..."

Walking down the newly made pathway that led to the lake, the blond suddenly stopped and glanced down, grimacing.

Something's already off... it just doesn't... feel right...

Looking up once more, Link rounded the bend, and warily inspected his surroundings. Strangely, things seemed peaceful.

A little too peaceful...

It seemed like there was nobody around. Lake Hylia, while not a very populated area, still had at least two denizens who would never leave the lake.

"Link..." Navi's voice piped up, a hint of concern within. "Look over there, at the Fish Pond. Something just isn't right. See how it's deserted?"

The boy cast his eyes upon the entry to the Fish Pond. The fact that it was deserted when reports of the fabled Hylian Loach had increased the pond's popularity made Link frown suspiciously. Slowly, he began to approach.

"Um..." the fairy murmured. "Do you really think it's a good idea to go over there? What if there's a trap?"

The blond shrugged, continuing to head towards the Fish Pond. When he arrived, he peeked inside, only to be met with blinking eyes. Blinking back, Link breathed a sigh of relief as he realised it was only the owner.

"Well, well..." the owner said, scratching his head in puzzlement. "I remember you. What brings you here? Would you like to go fishing for 10 rupees? Since I'm such a nice guy, I'll even let you fish for as long as you'd like. How about it?"

The boy raised an eyebrow, but shook his head slowly.

"Thank you..." he murmured softly. "...but I can't spend too long here, even with the discount. Still, I need to know... why is it so quiet here?"

The balding man gave a sigh and stared sadly at Link.

"I wish I knew myself..." he muttered. "I've had no customers for the past couple of days. If business doesn't pick up, I'll be out of it. One thing I can say though, is that there's a weird feeling of dread floating about this place. Things seem fine, but I can't help thinking that something bad is happening."

Link nodded, before giving a small smile, and bringing out his wallet. Reaching inside, he brought out 20 rupees, and handed them to the older male.

"Here..." he said. "I doubt I'll need them anyway... and besides, you did help me out a bit. I felt the same thing. Anyway, I need to go. Take care, sir."

The blond walked out, leaving the dark-haired man staring in awe at the younger boy's kindness. Even though Link was no longer within hearing range, he still spoke.

"Thanks, kid..." he murmured. "Good luck..."

Posted Image

Link was deeply thoughtful as he glanced around the lake.

I don't know what it is, but I feel something strange. Something definitely isn't right with this place.

Navi cleared her throat, bringing the boy out of his thoughts. The boy shifted his gaze to his left shoulder as he felt the fairy gently sit upon it.

"I wonder..." Navi said at last. "It's highly likely that something is wrong within the temple, but I have a bad feeling. Something tells me that we should check on the Zora. Don't you think so, Link?"

Making a thoughtful sound, the blond nodded, shifting his glance towards the portal that led between Lake Hylia and Zora Village.

Well, at least it still seems to be working. This will make travel somewhat easier.

Closing his eyes, Link took a deep breath, opening his eyes once more and glancing at himself, taking note that his tunic had magically changed to that of the special Zora kind. Lungs now capable of breathing underwater, the boy gave a slight nod, before dropping beneath the surface, and swimming towards the portal between Zora Village and Lake Hylia.

I hope the Zora are okay...

Glancing behind him, he held in a chuckle as he noticed Navi flying after him.

"Link!" she called out. "Wait for me!"

The boy stopped, glancing downward towards the underwater gateway. Finally catching up, Navi grumbled to herself.

"I hate going underwater..." she muttered. "Sure, I may be able to breathe, but I hate getting wet..."

Link checked his pockets, fishing out a glass bottle. Holding it out, he opened the lid and nodded for Navi to go inside. The fairy shuddered and shook her head.

"I'll just take my chances..." she groaned. "...but thank you anyway, Link."

Giving a nod, Link replaced the bottle's cork and stuffed it back into his pocket, before diving underwater and heading towards the gate. Navi sighed.

"Well..." she muttered, giving a soft whimper. "...here goes..."

The fairy took a few breaths in preparation, before plunging herself under the surface of the crystal-clear water, entering the gate just seconds behind the Hylian. Passing through the portal, she emerged on the other side and flew out of the water.

"Link?" she called out, wringing her hair dry. "Where are you?"

The nearby sound of dripping water caught her attention. Looking in the same direction, she noticed Link staring at something.

"Navi..." he murmured. "Look at this..."

The boy pointed at an inscription on the wall. It was written in a strange dialect that was unlike anything he'd ever seen.

"I can't read it..." the blond admitted. "It isn't like the language we already saw in the temples..."

"So..." a voice interrupted, startling Navi and Link. "You have arrived at last-zora."

The Master Sword was instantly drawn, and Link whirled around to face the source of the voice, breathing a sigh of relief as he realised it was merely one of the Zora. The marine lifeform watched as the blond-haired Hylian sheathed his weapon, before speaking again.

"I am assuredly certain..." he continued. "...that you are already aware of the lack of our presence-zora. I must explain this to you-zora."

Link nodded, listening as the Zora closed his eyes and resumed.

"Respectfully, we apologise for our lack of presence..." the Zora said. "...however, it has been brought forth to our attention that a maleficent presence has invaded our lakeside shrine-zora. As a result of this, our village populace has temporarily relocated to a secret cave that lies obscured from view-zora. I remained in our village to inform the revered Saviour and future prince-zora."

The Hylian's expression showed perplexion, and he glanced back at the Zora messenger.

"But, wait..." Link protested. "How did you know that I was the one you sought?"

The Zora couldn't hide a smile.

"The answer to that question..." he responded. "...is quite simple-zora. Princess Ruto informed us of the events of a few years past-zora. She alluded that her future husband would be a Hylian boy, with golden hair-zora. Also, she said... that you could not read our language, and you were one of very few who could not-zora."

Cheeks flushing, Link scratched the back of his head uncomfortably.

"Thank you, regardless..." he murmured. "Please... return to your people, and tell them that I will remove that which sours the Temple of Water."

The Zora nodded, smiling a little wider.

"Prince Link, you have our gratitude-zora..." the messenger said, bowing politely. "If you wish to interact with us for the while, we can be found at the bottom of our Great Lord's spring-zora. Respectfully, I shall now take my leave-zora."

With another bow, the Zora closed his eyes and faded, leaving Link to contemplate. Navi, who had remained silent, finally spoke up.

"Link..." she said softly. "Let's go to the Temple of Water."

The boy simply nodded, and brought his ocarina to his lips. Playing the Water's Serenade, he closed his eyes as he was instantaneously taken back to Lake Hylia. Now on the island that concealed the temple, he walked towards the edge and stared into the lake.

I have a feeling that I won't like what I face inside. But... if I don't succeed, Hyrule is doomed. I have to do this.

Dropping into the water, Link closed his eyes, opening them once he began to feel heavy. His boots were now iron, and he sank to the bottom of the lake. Navi, who had entered the water right after, glanced over at the boy. The blond glanced back, and the two nodded, before entering the Temple of Water.

End of Chapter 7.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Chapter 8: Temple of Water

Link's brows furrowed as he entered the main chamber of the temple. Glancing around, he folded his arms over his chest.

I don't like this. The water almost reaches to the ceiling. I'll be spending pretty much all of my time underwater...

Iron boots reverting to normal, Link gasped as they suddenly changed once more, this time resembling flippers.

This is too strange... but not an unwelcome change. It will make swimming a lot easier. I suppose I had better find an open doorway.

The Hylian swam around the central chamber, but was perplexed to find that his only way forward led towards the Great Chasm. Slowly, he swam towards the door and opened it. He let out a surprised yelp as he fell through the door, a massive amount of water flooding in after him.

No! I'm going to be...!

Suddenly, Link's boots changed back to iron, which prevented him from being swept into the Great Chasm. The water in the central chamber slowly began to recede, and within a few moments, was restored to where it should be. Navi, who had taken refuge from the flooding waters, emerged and gave a nervous laugh.

"Link..." she spluttered. "That was... much too close for comfort..."

The boy nodded, and the two breathed a sigh of relief in unison. Iron boots became normal boots once more, and the blond took a few steps forward, nearing the edge that would lead into the massive chasm below. Looking down, he gulped, unable to see any trace of the water that had flooded into the room, nor was he able to see the elevation device that was usually there.

The water must have torn it away. I wonder... how far does it go down?

Glancing to his side, the boy noticed a rock. Leaning down, he lifted it into his hand and tossed it over the edge. Link watched as the rock disappeared into the dark chasm, listening for the splash. It came fourteen seconds later. Navi let out a whistle.

"Okay, then..." she muttered. "Here's the plan. We don't fall down there."

The blond was unable to restrain a chuckle, before searching for a way across the wide crevasse. Scanning his gaze about the room, he finally noticed what looked to be the top of a crystal switch, concealed beneath one of the murals on the opposite side.

"Well..." he murmured to himself, readying his bow. "Here goes."

Link fired an arrow, giving a small grin as he saw the door opposite him unlock. Hookshot targets appeared all over, but still, he grimaced.

Damn it! They're too far for me to reach without the elevator. Unless...

The hero glanced at Navi, the fairy instantly knowing by the look in his eyes that he had a crazy plan. The boy's next words made her freeze up.

"You won't like this..." he said warily. "I don't like it myself, but I can only see one way across. I'm gonna need to jump and hope I get a lucky aim with my Hookshot. I know it's a stupid idea, but..."

The fairy's eyes widened, and her aura became more vivid.

"Link!" she yelled. "That plan's insane! If it doesn't work..."

The fairy trailed off and sighed, knowing that in spite of her arguments, the boy was right. It was their only chance... HIS only chance at getting across the Great Chasm. With a nervous nod, she flew over to the other side and waited for Link to make his move.

"Please, Link..." she murmured. "Please make it..."

The boy glanced at his Hookshot, before taking a few steps back.

There's no turning back now. I have to take my... leap of faith... and trust in my aim.

Staring at the Great Chasm before him, the blond took several deep breaths. Holding his last, he raced towards the edge and jumped.

Posted Image

An overwhelming sense of dread overcame the boy as he fell.

Maybe this wasn't such a great idea...

Glancing around quickly, he noticed his only chance; a Hookshot target at the very bottom of the rest. He would have to carefully make his way upwards afterwards, to avoid a watery doom.

That is, if I make it...

Hookshot gripped tightly, Link aimed and fired. Sweating in suspense, his heart almost stopped in relief as the hook met its mark. Squeezing the trigger once more, he was flung towards the hook. Grabbing onto the top of his safe haven, Link finally exhaled and pulled himself up, pulling his Hookshot loose.

No way am I doing that ever again...

From up above, Navi breathed a sigh of relief, watching as Link carefully made his way upwards. When he finally arrived, he gave his own relieved sigh. Navi glanced at the boy and frowned.

"I was worried..." she said. "I thought... but... hmmm... Link, I'm just glad you made it. C'mon, let's get out of here."

Link gave a slight smile and shook his head in agreement, opening the door into the next room. Glancing around, he made his way towards the next door, stopping as he noticed an inscription, similar to those from the previous temples.

"Let's see here..." he mumbled. "As you go onwards through that door, you'll encounter turmoils from before. But, by reflecting on those days, you shall be guided through the haze. Great... so the next room..."

The blond closed his eyes and breathed gently. Opening his eyes once more, he crossed his arms.

"That room..." he continued. "It's where I fought... myself."

Letting out a soft sigh, Link continued onwards, heading through the door. As it came down, it sealed tightly behind him, covered by iron bars. He cried out in surprise as he saw the room had reverted to how it was when battling his dark doppleganger.

"But how?!" he asked. "It was only an illusion... wasn't it?"

The boy walked over towards the barren tree in the middle of the room. Pressing a hand against it, he frowned, keeping a close eye out, just in case he was attacked... by himself.

This doesn't make any sense!

Taking a step back, he suddenly let out a gasp and shielded his eyes as a blinding flash of light shone before him. A few moments later, he moved his arms, staggering backwards at what he saw.

"It..." he choked out. "Is it you? Saria?"

His childhood friend stared back at him, a sad look in her eyes. She remained silent as there was another bright flash. Beside her, now stood Darunia.

"Da..." he tried to speak. "...runia...?"

Another flash. This time, it was Princess Zelda. Yet another flash revealed the Zora princess he was there to rescue. One final flash showed all except Ruto, cold and lifeless.

"W-what is this?" Link whimpered, tears beginning to form. "Why am I...? Why?!"

Dropping to his knees, he wrapped his arms around himself, the boy suddenly beginning to feel cold. Eyes glanced downward. Despair began to take over him, and it was only now that Link noticed the absence of Navi. Tears began to fall, and the only other sound that accompanied his sobs were footsteps pattering in the water in front of him.

I am responsible... for all of their... all of their...

The footsteps got closer and Link raised his glance, noticing Ruto walking towards him. The temperature began to lower, and the room's mist became a lot hazier. Shivering from the cold, Link watched as she approached. Closer... closer... a strange look in her eyes.

"--nk!" a voice suddenly called out, as if from faraway. "Don-- be---- tr---ed -- -t!"

The tears continued to fall and the room got colder and the mist became heavier. Ruto continued walking towards him slowly.

"--y!" the faraway voice called out again. "----en! Y-- hav- -- ---p ou- -- -t --nk!"

The voice was hard to hear, but it was familiar.

"N-Navi?" Link choked out. "You're... you're here?"

Looking at Ruto some more, the boy narrowed his eyes as she suddenly flickered. Link suddenly dried his eyes, and stood up.

"I know now..." he said. "I know what's happening. I have to come to terms with the loss of my friends... and what I fear I have to do..."

Ruto moved closer, almost within striking range. Link looked defiantly at the approaching form.

"...and I know..." he gulped. "What I have to do. I... I have to defeat you all... I will lose you all! I have to... in order to save Hyrule! I HAVE TO!"

Just as Ruto was about to strike, she suddenly vanished, the mist clearing away. The tree began to shimmer and fade, the room returning to how it should be. Glancing downward, he stared at the floor.

"Navi..." he murmured, feeling said fairy gently land on his shoulder. "Thank you for helping me..."

The fairy nodded and sat down on the boy's shoulder, as the Hylian walked towards the now unlocked way forward.

"Anytime, Link..." she said softly. "I know it will be hard, to lose them all... but with me, you will never have to feel lonely."

Stopping in front of it, the boy's lips curled into a small smile.

"Yeah..." he murmured, before opening the door and walking through. "I know."

End of Chapter 8.

• 3 weeks later...

You really did pick probably the hardest thing for link to do, he has to go against all the people he cares most about. Even though they have been changed, and it is the right thing to do, I can't even begin to imagine doing anything like what he has to.

• 1 month later...

Exactly that, Ragnarok... he is being put through the wringer by me, and I hate having to do it, but it's for the good of the plot. I already have much of the story planned, the only hard part is writing the filler. Also, you'll notice that I seem to be skipping through the dungeons a lot. Trust me, I'd love to be more descriptive, but there's only so much I can fit into a chapter before it becomes convoluted. That being said, I'm glad you enjoy, and I have a present for my loyal readers. That's right... chapter 9 is now out!

Posted Image
Chapter 9: Water, Heart of Evil

A treasure box sat directly before Link, reminding him of the polluted timeline, where he battled his darkness, this very room being where he earned his prize of the Longshot.

"It seems so long ago..." he muttered to himself. "But it didn't actually happen. Or... did it?"

Navi flew about the room and shrugged.

"I'm not sure, myself..." she answered. "I have no idea how time travel works."

The fairy turned her glance to the treasure box.

"Say, Link?" she asked suddenly. "What do you suppose is in this box?"

The boy took a few steps towards it and prepared to reveal its contents. A slight snicker was given, and he gazed at his fairy companion.

"Maybe..." he began. "...it's the other pieces of the Triforce?"

Giving another snicker, Link shrugged and opened the treasure box, revealing another scroll. Scratching his head, he read the inscription aloud.

"If light is what you wish to see, take my friends, as well as me."

Eyes narrowing, he suddenly sat down, crossing his legs as he pondered over the perplexing inscriptions.

"Navi?" Link murmured after a few moments. "The three scrolls I have... they all mention light. Can you fathom their meaning?"

The fairy sighed and shook her head, once again sitting on the boy's shoulder.

"I honestly can't say I do..." she responded. "It's as much an enigma to me as it is to you."

Standing to his feet once more, Link stared down at the floor.

"It doesn't matter yet..." he muttered. "I just have to get to the central chamber... and fight my fiancé to the death..."

Navi opened her mouth to speak, but stopped instantly as the room began to darken. A poe suddenly appeared, Link listening intently as it spoke.

"Hero chosen for this land..." it began, slowly reaching out towards the boy. "Please reach forth, and take my hand."

Doing as asked of him, Link stepped forward and extended a hand, gently taking a hold of the spirit's. The poe gave a sad smile and nodded, as if answering an unasked question.

"Like the ones you've met before..." it continued. "Ancient spirits, nothing more. But as you're aware, you must make haste, there simply isn't time to waste. Lakeside waters in despair, evil power floats through the air. With the courage that you know best, please guide us to eternal rest."

The room faded from sight, Link and Navi feeling much lighter than the air around them. Everything becoming a blur, their surroundings began to form once again, and within mere moments, they found themselves in a new, mysterious part of the temple. The ghost released Link's hand and pointed towards the doorway at the end of the dimly lit hallway.

"Within that chamber, dark power grows..." the spirit explained. "...darkness of limits that no-one knows."

The blond was already expecting what was next to come, extending his hand in preparation for the charm he knew would be given to him. He wasn't disappointed. The insignia of the Water Spirits was engraved on the charm, and Link gave a sigh, readying himself for the poe's next words.

"Take this charm, and use it well..." the spirit said. "It shall aid against the evil spell. Our foe lies in that darkened room, but with this charm, you will seal its doom. Young hero, like twice before, to danger we send, to save our beloved water friend."

As the ghost faded, Link lowered his gaze to the ground.

"This is it..." he murmured. "Time to lose someone else dear to me..."

With another deep sigh, Link walked down the hallway, Navi following closely, noticing that the air seemed to be getting more damp. Arriving at the door, he took a breath and opened it, stepping into the dark room.

Posted Image

As he entered the room, the door closing behind him, his eyes scanned about the room. In the centre of the room was a large pool of water.

"I know you're here..." he murmured, eyes closing. "Ruto... come out... and face me..."

The water in the centre of the room began to churn, a splash suddenly sounding. Eyes opening, Link saw his fiancé, standing atop a pillar of water. The two faced off in silence, Ruto being the first to speak.

"You know what I am going to do..." she more stated than asked. "Your death is going to be painful, you know that..."

Link shook his head and drew his sword.

"Ganondorf... if you can hear me..." he hissed out. "When I get to you, you'll be begging me for mercy... forcing me to fight loved ones..."

Pointing his sword at Ruto, he couldn't help but smile.

"I still have it..." he mumbled. "Your... engagement present..."

For a moment, Ruto looked like she was struggling with herself. Her eyes seemed to return to her usual, lively glow, and the corners of her lips seemed to twitch upwards, but as quickly as it showed, it vanished.

"Is that right?" she asked, her voice distant, eyes cold and uncaring. "Are you done with your foolish sentiment?"

Clenching his teeth together, Link swung his sword in front of him to show that he was ready. Ruto smirked and jumped off the pillar of water, which lowered back into the pool.

"Ah..." she purred. "...that's more like it!"

Fighting back his rage, Link listened as Navi analysed the Zora.

"Ruto," she started. "Sage, and spirit of water, possessed by the Evil King! She can control all nearby water. Vanquish the evil darkness that controls her, and restore her purity!"

Ruto shook her head in amusement and sent a stream of water towards Link, who narrowly dodged it. A second shot sped towards him, this time blocked by his shield.

"Enough games!" the Zora princess suddenly hissed. "Feel the power of water!"

The water from the pool began to surge, and a massive wall of water began to move towards him.

Shit! How can I defend against that?

"Yousei Toku!"

Link gasped as a magical shield appeared before him, and just in time, the water slamming into it and bouncing away, receding back into the pool from whence it came. The shield faded, and Link raced towards Ruto, dodging more attacks.

"Damn you!" Ruto snarled out, firing another burst of water at the Hylian. "Take this!"

The water managed to hit Link, knocking him to the ground, sword falling to the ground right beside him. Before he had a chance to move, Ruto was upon him.

"Link!" Navi called out. "You have to get up!"

Ruto smirked, leaning down and grabbing a hold of the boy's tunic. Raising a finned hand high, her smirk widened.

"Game over..." she whispered. "You lose..."

In desperation, Link did the only thing he could think of in this situation. Reaching a hand, he grabbed behind his fiancé's head and pulled it down, their lips meeting.

My first kiss with her... and, my last...

Ruto's eyes closed, suddenly jerking open once again as pain shot through her abdomen. The kiss broken, her eyes locking onto Link's, she saw tears streaming from them. Glancing down, she noticed the Master Sword's hilt. The blade had gone right through her. Somehow, the boy had managed to pick it up during the kiss. With a choked sob, Link withdrew the blade and watched as Ruto crumpled to the ground, breathing heavily.

"Ruto..." he gasped out. "I'm..."

The colour returning to her eyes, Ruto weakly gazed at her betrothed, slowly shaking her head and smiling as Link knelt down and cradled her.

"Don't..." she murmured. "You did... what you had... to do..."

The Hylian clenched his teeth together, trying to vanquish the pain, but to no avail.

"But..." he choked out. "I could have just..."

"Enough, Link..." the Zora princess demanded. "There's... no way of telling... if I... would have returned... to being... his... puppet..."

Wiping away more tears, Link nodded, choking back another sob. Ruto closed her eyes and gave a weak sigh, opening them once again to glance at her betrothed.

"Link... my fiancé..." she continued. "There is... one last thing... that I must do... Take my power... take it... respectfully..."

The Zora began to shimmer, her eyes never leaving the blond's. The charm in the boy's hand also shimmered, and as her body began to fade, her smile widened, reaching up to place a translucent hand upon his cheek.

"Never forget..." she whispered as she faded from existence. "We are... always together... as one..."

The charm glowed brightly, before dissolving into Link, enhancing his power. Still on his knees, the boy's tears began to flood down his face, Navi remaining silent as the room began to echo with his sobs. He paid no attention to the energy that enveloped him, drawing him back to Lake Hylia, instead turning his attention to Navi.

"I don't know how much more I can take..." he admitted, tears continuing to roll down his cheeks. "I've had to kill people I care about... I thought I'd come to terms with that... it's for the good of Hyrule... no, the world! But..."

Trying to fight back more sobs, he grabbed fistfuls of grass in his hands.

"Why?" he wept. "Why is it so damned hard? Will it ever stop hurting?"

Sitting on the boy's shoulder, Navi touched a hand to his cheek, her aura dissolving the tears that touched her.

"I don't know..." she confessed. "I really... don't know..."

End of Chapter 9.

• 5 weeks later...

Posted Image

Chapter 10: Cemetery

ZELDA VAN HYLIA

88 P.C.E. - 103 P.C.E.

'Radiant princess... forever loved, forever to be missed.'

Link stared at the gravestone, totally silent. He had not spoken a word since leaving the lake, leaving Navi to fuss over him. The boy remembered back to when he had met the new Sheik.

He said he was all that remained of Princess Zelda's power...

Link had made it to the cemetery without much hassle, but as he made his way past several graves, a single gravestone caught his eye. It was now that he realised the meaning behind Sheik's words... realised that Princess Zelda was dead. A sudden chill came over him, not unlike those he experienced when inside the Royal Family Crypt, and he shivered violently.

Why so much death? Why all this despair?

A tingling sensation came to his fingers. Lowering his gaze, the boy opened his mouth to speak, but no sound came out. His mouth felt dry, and his eyes began to burn from all the withheld tears.

"Don't speak..." Navi suddenly advised, noticing his distress. "Conserve your strength."

His struggle with tears in vain, the blond silently wept.

What is it all for? Why should I even continue?

His legs suddenly feeling like jelly, Link sat down on the ground, putting his head between his knees. Vision beginning to blur, he could barely make out Navi's voice calling to him.

"Link!" she called out. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

Despite how he was feeling, he glanced up, forced a weak smile and nodded slowly.

It's just a little bit of dizziness. It will pass.

Lowering his gaze again, Link closed his eyes and lifted a hand to his head.

Why am I in so much pain?

Eyes opening once again, he stared at the ground, vision still no better than before.

Will this pain be eternal?

Suddenly feeling rather heavy, Link let his eyes close once more, barely able to hear Navi's soft words of comfort.

"Link..." she murmured. "You will be okay. I believe in you... I know how strong you really are."

Another weak smile came to his lips, and he choked out a dark chuckle.

Strong? I'm anything but... I feel so weak...

His drowziness increased, the chill that came over him intensifying.

Is this... how death feels?

Those were his last thoughts as he suddenly slumped to the side, drifting into unconsciousness, even as Navi screamed out for him in shock.

Posted Image

Eyes opening, Link found himself afloat in a void of some kind, and while he could see himself perfectly fine, everything else was pitch black.

"Where...?" he choked out. "Where am I? What is this place?"

His voice seeming to echo, the boy received no answer. Floating in place, he wrapped his arms around himself and curled up, closing his eyes once more.

"This must be..." he continued, voice echoing despite how soft he was speaking. "...what lies after death. Eternal nothingness... perpetual loneliness..."

Are you really that lonely?

Link's eyes snapped open, and he immediately glanced around.

"Who's there?!" he demanded. "Show yourself!"

I don't think that's really necessary. We know each other so well, kicsi farkas...

The boy's eyes scanned around to find the source of the voice, but it seemed to emanate from all around him.

"Please..." he begged. "I don't want... I don't want to be alone."

The disembodied voice seemed to chuckle at that, although it wasn't a pleasant sound.

You don't want to be alone, eh? I suppose I can humour you...

A boy suddenly appeared before Link, causing him to gasp.

"But that's..." Link choked out. "...impossible!"

Link was staring back at himself, as if looking into a mirror. The second Link chuckled again and shook his head.

Nothing is impossible, my kicsi farkas... although, you should seem less surprised to see me. I've been there all the time, voicing your doubts, challenging you every step of the way.

Link lowered his gaze. It was somewhat disconcerting to see himself, to hear the words being spoken, but to not see the other actually speak.

"I guess that means... I lost?" he murmured. "Why else would I be here?"

The other boy moved forward and reached a hand out, cupping it under Link's chin and lifting it, so the two were face-to-face. An unpleasant smile was on the doppelgänger's face.

Why else, indeed? In fact, you haven't totally lost the fight, as much as I would have liked you to. No... instead, you are questioning your own capabilities, and your own strength. The power of courage that lies within you has weakened, and has drawn you within yourself, in a feeble attempt to restore empowerment.

Link narrowed his eyes at his double, glaring daggers at him.

"What?!" he hissed out, hands balling into fists. "But, if you are me, shouldn't you be trying to comfort me?"

Another snicker came from his doppelgänger, bringing even more anger to Link.

Poor farkas... you'll never get anywhere, expecting everything to be handed to you on a silver platter. Nothing is ever so easy in life. You have to work for it. If you can't handle what has already gone on, then maybe, you should succumb to your despair, and stay here for eternity.

Watching as his double licked his lips at what he obviously saw a very appetising idea, Link snarled and thrust himself forward, grabbing the other's tunic in his fists, bringing him closer. A look of pure rage was etched onto his face, but all it did was amuse the other.

That's it... let it all out. Hurt me. Bring me pain. I welcome it. The question is, can you live with the consequences? Heheh...

Anger increasing, Link suddenly lashed out at the other, sending a fist flying into the other boy's face. The doppelgänger actually smiled as the fist connected, staring back into the hero's eyes, who in return, scowled.

"Shut up..." he growled. "Just... shut up!"

Another dark chuckle was given by the other boy, who smirked back at him, seemingly no mark evident on him at all.

Was that good for you, kicsi farkas? Did it delight you to inflict injury on me? You can do so for as long as you like.

Breathing heavily, Link frowned and released his double, staring downward. The other Link simply chuckled.

Don't feel so ashamed. This is, after all, a way to bring empowerment back to you. I would say it has worked. I can already feel the power of courage. I can even hear that fairy's irritating voice now.

Gaze snapping back up, Link suddenly heard Navi's voice calling out to him in desperation.

"Link!" the voice echoed. "Link, wake up! Can you hear me? Please, wake up!"

Staring at the doppelgänger, Link suddenly gasped as it began to fade, a grin on its face.

Stay strong, my kicsi farkas. When we meet again, I want our fight to be truly breathtaking.

The other boy's eyes twinkled in amusement, flashing red briefly, before he vanished completely. His surroundings darkening, Link found himself swallowed up by it.

"Please!" Navi's voice echoed. "Wake up, Link!"

Link's eyes snapped open once again, finding himself back in the graveyard. Rain was pouring from the sky. Blinking, he glanced to the side, noticing Princess Zelda's gravestone, before glancing back up at Navi, who breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh, Link!" she whimpered, her entire tiny form shaking. "I was afraid you wouldn't wake up."

Ignoring the rain, Link gave a slightly sheepish smile to his fairy companion.

"How long?" he murmured, mouth no longer dry. "How long was I out?"

The fairy sniffled, before softly answering.

"About 10 minutes..." she said. "But it felt like longer."

Glancing up at the sky, raindrops splashing onto his face, his smile faded, becoming somewhat pensive.

Yeah... it felt like an eternity...

Glancing back to Navi, Link nodded to her, indicating it was time for them to leave. Playing the Nocturne of the Darkness, he felt himself being wrapped in the magical energy. Casting one final look back at the princess' grave, he made a silent promise.

I won't let you down... I will avenge everyone... and stop Ganondorf forever. You have my word as a Knight of Hylia.

End of Chapter 10.

• Like 1

Good story so far.I have a small observation, though. Back at chapter 1, Sheik's essence mentions this:"You must not waste time, Link. You are Hyrule's last hope. I will remain here. Once you have provided aid to the Sages of Forest, Flames and Water, return to me. Good luck, Hero of Time."That's the thing Navi wouldn't let pass... or maybe Link just decided not to press C^ this time and managed to endure the "Hey!" all along the way.If Zelda is dead, that would mean the Triforce of Wisdom is up for grabs. I wonder if that's related with all the Sage killing.If this were an actual game, I could totally picture Zelda being still alive, hiding in the Temple of Light, just waiting for Link to assemble the Prelude of Light, with some ready excuse for how she couldn't have told you the truth right away, so you had to visit the temples all over.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.