Project Third Quest

ZOMGpurple

This is not good, great, or anything of the like. This is a frickin MASTERPIECE! Do not let this project die! I haven't been this impressed in quite some time and is starting to respark my interest in the OoT game. Fantastic work! It is very apparent a lot of care and work has gone into this.

Holy crap something NEW to get hyped about in OoT hacking!  Exciting!  It's kinda just been stagnating since that one thing happened.

I actually like how it isn't based off of any Zelda 64 beta stuff, or whatnot.  I suspect there'll be stuff inspired by it but it seems original. :)

Holy crap something NEW to get hyped about in OoT hacking!  Exciting!  It's kinda just been stagnating since that one thing happened.

I actually like how it isn't based off of any Zelda 64 beta stuff, or whatnot.  I suspect there'll be stuff inspired by it but it seems original. :)

Giadrosichs (or however you spell it) mod was pretty popular and that was released after the big thing happened. No wait, maybe it wasn't, I don't even know anymore. Two years go by so slow.

I must say, I'm quite impressed! The maps look good, the replacement for Phantom Ganon is interesting and I quite like the maps and music seen in the second trailer for Patch 1.0. Very promising; looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Just one question, since I don't know much about LoZ mods in general- will it be possible to keep your save data when new patches come out?

I said this on the video, but I'll put it here as well.

Something about this is just so damn nostalgic. I think it's the familiar song and textures conflicting with the unfamiliar and new environment.

It reminds me of watching the intro sequence as a child. Near the end of the intro, the camera zoomed in on the entrance to Kokiri forest, as this was before I could figure out how to get to Hyrule field. The way it zoomed in always felt so mysterious and unknown, your video really reminds me of that feeling.

• Like 1

I must say, I'm quite impressed! The maps look good, the replacement for Phantom Ganon is interesting and I quite like the maps and music seen in the second trailer for Patch 1.0. Very promising; looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Just one question, since I don't know much about LoZ mods in general- will it be possible to keep your save data when new patches come out?

You can use the same save since it's probably unlikely anyone will extend the space used for your save data, but if the layout of puzzle elements change in a future update you might encounter some weird quirks in some areas

Fine by me then. I've been itching to play some Rom hacks lately and this one will do quite nicely. I was considering having my brother inject it into a wad on our homebrewed Wii. Can't use controllers on this crummy laptop.

As of now, the debug ROM doesn't work on Virtual Console/custom WADs. Maybe that'll change in the future though.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I am glad to see that small little page I put some notes on long ago have blossomed into this! 

As cool as Rebonack is (I never caught the similarities between Rebonack and Phantom Ganon before this, both fight half of the battle on their mount... hah.) you may want to add some custom matters to his boss fight. Strangely enough thirdquest.wordpress where I had placed my notes reset itself and those notes are again lost, (or they're here somewhere). 

As for where Phantom Ganon is concerned I did find some interesting matters about his actor...

Well, I'll repost my Phantom Ganon notes as I'm sure you would want a somewhat different fight.

CDE341 Damage of Phantom Ganon's Energy Ball Attack
CDE36D Damage of Phantom Ganon's Spear Attack

ROM - F1A778 (There might be more to boss building than what's in their file, because this is Far outside of the boss file, proper)
RAM - 234C98 - SLTI, ST, T6, 0x0019 - 29C10019 - The amount of HP Damage that Phantom Ganon will have to take to jump off of his horse. Change accordingly if you plan on changing Phanton Ganon's base HP.

ROM - CDD4BC
RAM - 2308AC - ADDIU, T0, T9, 0xFFFE - 2728FFFE - (Negative Hex!) The damage a projectile will do to Phantom Ganon during the first phase. Change accordingly keeping Negative Hex in mind)

ROM - CDD3C4
RAM - 2307B4 - JAL 0x635D0 - 0C018D74 Jump to Link's Generic Weapons Routine. 

ROM - CDD3E0
RAM - 2307D0 - ADDIU A0, R0, 0x0002 - 24040002 If it is a weapon, deal 2 Damage.
RAM - 2307D4 - ADDIU, A1, R0, 0x0001 - 24050001 If it is a sword, deal damage based by the Generic Weapons Routine.

RAM - 232658 - Phantom Ganon's Shock effect timer.
RAM - 232660 - Phantom Ganon's AI Pattern Timer (00 - On Horseback, 01 - Close Range Energy Shots, 02 - Long Range Energy Shots, 03 - Longer Range Energy Shots, 04 - Spear Attack)

ROM - CDD45C
RAM - 23084C - ADDIU T3, Ro, 0x0078 - 240B0078 - Phantom Ganon's Stun Duration in his second phase.

ROM - CDD360
RAM - 230750 - LUI, AT, 0x0001 - 3C010001 -  Add 1 to Phantom Ganon's Defense Mode (guarding against Spirit Arrows/Unused Arrow 3)

ROM - CDD364
RAM - 230754 - ORI AT, AT, 0x0000 - 3421F8A4 - Add F8A4 to Phantom Ganon's Defense Mode (See below)

ROM - CDD49C  
RAM - 23088C - 3C010001 3421F8A4 - Except it is reversed to what is above. These are the only Damage Identifier Bytes that can damage him. As you can see only the Boomerang cannot hit him. Again this works only for projectiles in the first place.

1F8A4 is the answer. It is a kind of... "let only numbers that don't equal these bit values through". (Refer to Damage Identifier Bytes) 

4 is Slingshot.
20 is Arrow, 80 is Hookshot = A0
800 is Fire Arrow
F takes care of Ice/Light/Wind/Shadow Arrows...
And the 1 takes care of Spirit Arrows.

One at first glance might think this makes Phantom Ganon vulnerable to a lot of things, but his Defense Mode only activates with projectiles.

If you wish to change his defenses, (like say, take away his vulnerability to Boomerangs) you would add a 10 to the overall value. And to remove them just take away in accordance with the Damage Identifier Bytes.
  • Like 2

Thanks for the notes, Three Pendants. As for your other pages, we've archived them but removed the links to them so that the site is a primary hub for Third Quest content. If you're ever interested in contacting anyone of us, we're all on Skype (cdifails for me).

• 2 weeks later...

ROM - F1A778 (There might be more to boss building than what's in their file, because this is Far outside of the boss file, proper)

This falls within ovl_En_fHG, phantom ganon's horse. not too surprising.

RAM - 230754 - ORI AT, AT, 0x0000 - 3421F8A4 - Add F8A4 to Phantom Ganon's Defense Mode (See below)

ROM - CDD49C  

RAM - 23088C - 3C010001 3421F8A4 - Except it is reversed to what is above. These are the only Damage Identifier Bytes that can damage him. As you can see only the Boomerang cannot hit him. Again this works only for projectiles in the first place.

1F8A4 is the answer. It is a kind of... "let only numbers that don't equal these bit values through". (Refer to Damage Identifier Bytes) 

4 is Slingshot.

20 is Arrow, 80 is Hookshot = A0

800 is Fire Arrow

F takes care of Ice/Light/Wind/Shadow Arrows...

And the 1 takes care of Spirit Arrows.

If mips can only work with 2 byte immediates, how does the 1 affect Spirit Arrows?

• 9 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.