Once Again Accepting Donations - Promotion and Expansion

Shadow Fire

So, I am once again taking donations, for a cause that I think is good for the community. I am endeavoring to become more active in social media, particularly YouTube. In essence, I am wanting to start providing regular video updates, be it live Let's Plays, interviews with members of the community, reviews and more.

Any donations received will go towards making this a reality.

I really would love to make this community much more lively, as well as being able to offer more content.

This community was a lot more lively when I fist joined close to 2 years ago. I'd like to see it that way again, Too many people dropped projects, or left, some I wish never did. I'm not active on any other forum sites, I've got one, or two accounts, in others, but I never really visited them much when I did.

I know we've got a lot of youtube video uploaders here, why don't you share some of our video's as GCN content? We've got people who not only mod, but write music, and all sorts of things

we're one big collection of ever creating nerdy pop culture loving people, and I think that's really what you should advertise.

anime, and anime reviews, anime news, and more

art

music

video games, mods, reviews, let's play video's, video game news, and more

ect, ect..

Maybe recruit some volunteers to do pop culture review, and news pages for different types of media

Find a good MMORPG where only community exclusive members can join the sites clan, and go on quest together. Idk, it would be awesome if everyone would get hyped up about all of these idea's.

I don't think we really need money to get things going, just some enthusiasm from a bunch of people to get things up in the right direction

• Like 1

I'm talking about getting a lot more involved. Regular YT videos, complete with commentary. I don't have suitable hardware that would work well for that. Essentially, donations would greatly assist in that regard, considering how tight my funds are at the moment. ;_;

I'm not seeking to overshadow famous YT stars like PewDiePie, Markiplier, etc, but I would like to have something that the current GCNOfficial subscribers can look forward to on a regular basis, and would help promote the community on a much higher level.

I'm probably not making much sense, and I apologise. Summertime is melting my brain.

Even if you have the supplies, you're not guaranteed a popular channel. There's still many people that view the world of modding/hacking video games as taboo, and even I only have a mild handful. Your best bets are with a viral video, or a few.

Might be overambitious in the sense of expecting more views simply because you have better equipment and quality content in your videos. I stumbled upon a few channels that should have outshone PewDiePie, etc... but only have meager 1,000 views per video when they deserve more.

PDP got popular because of how his habit of uploading videos in Sweden, while having uploaded while traveling to family in other areas, has increased his views based on those dynamics. He isn't someone I'd consider anywhere near popular, because his views are just spread across multiple countries just from his good fortune. His videos are fun to watch, but only until he says something really dumb... which isn't too long into his videos. He also has become a sponsor for certain game companies. Just using him as an advertising puppet really.

Youtube's dynamics are not in anyone's favor, it's still random luck if people discover you.

• Like 2

Airitika is right about that.

But even so, Maybe some of us should really start doing a few let's plays together. Maybe get 4 people to play some L4D2 together (as an example) and one of them records it with free or low priced software. I've heard there is HQrecording software out there for free, that should suffice. You could record multiple episodes in one day and then upload one every 2nd day or something.

As long as you've got funny people and a good way to spread your videos, it could work out. Also, it'd be quite fun to do something like that.

Ninja Edit: Secant, xDan, Conker and I did a Live Stream on Minecraft once, which was quite fun to do, and at the same time idiotic due to is making puns that only brain dead people could pull off... wait what? O.o

I might want to join on some live videos, depending on what they are. I think I'm a much funnier guy live, or when I actually get to talk, and I just have the want to do a video, and just get really drunk through the whole thing starting out sober, and finishing at the "Ok I might regret acting this way tomorrow, so I'm gonna leave now" point

There's still many people that view the world of modding/hacking video games as taboo, and even I only have a mild handful. Your best bets are with a viral video, or a few.

But even so, modding is a big thing here. There are only a few other sight that do Zelda64 hacking, and as non lively as this sight it right now its still the biggest community of Zelda64 modders and hackers. Not only that, but the most views that the GCNOffice youtube page has come from the URA videos. So what if we make a new office mod for the sight. A story, we as the community can come up with and form a team of volunteers to make. It doesn't have to be anything too big, just something to catch peoples attention.

• Like 2

If we were to do that I would say it would have to be a big community mod, URA claimed that it was going to have stuff that wasn't possible at the time, like new maps compatible on N64 hardware, and all sorts of grand things I think some of the members who worked on it just should have known wasn't going to pan out.

We could do one as big on scale, but be more realistic, and not claim to do anything we can't, or don't know how to do yet, at least not know 100% sure.

I'd suggest a much bigger team, and have at least 5-7 long term veteran OoT hackers preferably more, and 5-7 less experienced, but trust worthy hackers known to have kept steadily working on mods before, even if they've only been around a little over a year, or two. I'm not the guy to even think about getting something like this started. I don't have any delusions of grandeur. Maybe if I was a more well known, experienced/talented hacker who's put out some pretty big mods before I could get a lot of the veteran guys to say hey "let's do this, I believe in this, it's going to be awesome"

Even if such a said person were to try to do such a thing though it would be hard to get a ton of people to hop on that. I mean when you consider how many times something like this has been tried, and put down. I've seen at least 4, or more big mods claiming all sorts of grand things get dropped, even saying it was still in the works when everyone could smell the death of it. They aimed too high by putting to much work on each person individually, I think, and wanted things to be in it that no one was able to pull off before.

Get a big enough team though and you could do a big mod finished fast.

My ideal team would be much bigger though...

Something like 4-5 main people who direct, and oversee everyone's work, do the planning on the story, the dungeons, and everything with contributing idea's from everyone else, and decide who does what, and how it should be. These people would have to stay in constant contact, even if it meant by a mobile messaging app. Each person could direct a number of  3, or 4 hackers efficiently I think.

3 people for music, 2 at the very least

7 people to design new maps, dungeons, and models. Preferably 10

6 people for more of the technical stuff, ASM hacking, and changing code to make new items, mess with the menu's, and anything else you can imagine a less experienced person could handle.

1, or two people for art, and advertisement

and I'm probably forgetting other stuff, but it doesn't matter it all sounds pretty silly, main point is, it would take a huge team, or everyone would just get tired of doing what they are working on, and the project would die. End of story

But even so, modding is a big thing here. There are only a few other sight that do Zelda64 hacking, and as non lively as this sight it right now its still the biggest community of Zelda64 modders and hackers. Not only that, but the most views that the GCNOffice youtube page has come from the URA videos. So what if we make a new office mod for the sight. A story, we as the community can come up with and form a team of volunteers to make. It doesn't have to be anything too big, just something to catch peoples attention.

I acknowledge that, but in terms of Youtube this type of community isn't a "viral" community. It's not like we are likely to get over fifty-thousand views per video, or more than that, or even that. All I'm saying is that the equipment doesn't necessarily get you more views, but it has a chance of keeping a regular roster of subscribers/viewers.

Though the best bets now, for getting more views, is talking about URA because that shit went viral... and we're likely not mentioning it any more. I'm just saying, in terms of pop culture, you're probably not going to hit viral views from regular videos. A lot of casuals on Youtube will have no idea wtf we're even discussing most of the time, because there's not a big public knowledge of this community.

The only way the channel would become viral, or get those amount of views, is if another viral channel advertises the-gcn Youtube channel.

Quality will help by then to maintain good content for those types of viewers, but the equipment alone won't do it.

• Like 1

I agree, creating a site wide mod is a fantastic idea . However I believe there needs to have another successful mod released before anything can happen. As Airikita said the best bet is to talk about URA. If talking about URA doesn't help there is the option of contacting people who have been interested or still remain interested in past projects offered by the site.

I don't know how the new equipment will effect things, but it is important for the content to be on point. 

This is just my 2 cents worth, on the situation. 

• Like 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.