Unity Zelda64 Game Engine

SoulofDeity

Added smoother player control and raycasting collision for falling instead of a rigidbody. Now Link has no problem climbing stairs.

Shortly after I uploaded this, I also fixed the z-targeting so Link doesn't flip sideways. Currently, the pause menu and hud are disabled because they are dependent on the old player script.

• Like 3

OoT runs at 20fps, while the Unity game runs at 60. That's why the animation looks unnatural.

On top of this, I don't think the animation is playing at the correct speed, nor do I think I'm using the correct animation. I had to sift through about 475 animations one-by-one just to find anything that resembled a walking or idling pose; and there's like another 300 more to go. I just used the first ones I found.

The entire thing is open source. whenever we commit our changes, anyone can just download it and see our latest progress for themselves.

I'll probably put up the dialog system during the weekend next week, or the week after that. It is still missing quite a bit of stuff.

So I've been doing a bit of thinking, and it might be best if we tried not to mangle OoT/MM's content too much into the engine itself. Perhaps, using the _All_ game directory for only the core components of the engine. This way, if by some odd chance we get lashed out at by Nintendo, we can just swap out the assets and keep engine itself.

I'm going to try to improve the camera and player control scripts a bit today; making it so that the camera doesn't clip through walls and hopefully getting Link's animations looking more natural.

• Like 4

Thanks man   :)    It's not just 2 people though. Currently, there's 5. CloudMax, Jack Walker, and I are doing the programming; MelonSpeedruns is ripping the music and making it loopable, and Zeth is currently learning how to use Blender so he can help rip models and animations from the game.

Anyone is free to help out as much as they want. A link to the project source is in the first post on this topic (it's a tad outdated atm though), and if you send your skype info to me in a pm; I'll add you to the group chat.

One of the main reasons why Link's animation looks so off is because he lacks any sense of mass in his movements. You don't feel that he's a solid object moving, he doesn't even look like he's skating, he's less substantial. It's more like he's a bubble on a cushion of air. Part of it will probably be helped by some kind of shadow to ground him, but the remainder of the issue I think could be solved by giving his animations a bit more rigidity to imply he's expending effort in order to move.

Yeah, well while all this commentary on Link's movement not looking natural is informative, one thing seems to have been missed.

It's a Work In Progress.

We're still early on.  Literally nothing is in it's finished form yet.  So it's probably going to look entirely different by the time it's done away.  So why even comment on what amounts to a demonstration of the game in what, pre-alpha form? 

Give it a few more days, and the animation is bound to look different.  And the finished product will probably look different than what we see then.  (a few days from now)  Please, give it time.  I know this project is gonna be killer when finished.  :lol:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This projects great, but if it is being put on hold or cancelled please let us know. Personally I'd prefer to know it's done rather than awaiting an update forever. :)

EDIT: Ignore this, as mentioned below the project is open source.

Actually, has anyone seen SoulofDeity around here recently? I can't remember the last time I saw him post.

This projects great, but if it is being put on hold or cancelled please let us know. Personally I'd prefer to know it's done rather than awaiting an update forever. :)

Actually, has anyone seen SoulofDeity around here recently? I can't remember the last time I saw him post.

I wouldn't say the project is canceled. I have been very busy and haven't been able to work on the project. The project is open source, so anyone can work on it anyways.

• Like 1

The real issue is that people don't seem to understand that this is a open source thing.

Unless people actually help out and contribute, this project will die for sure. This is being made by the community, for the community.

It was made open source so that others could carry on with it and work on it, even when people like SoD isn't actively working on it anymore.

A lot of people seem to be very interested in the project, and really want it to succeed, but almost none has gone as far as to actually try to contribute, even though they probably are capable of it, which I find a bit sad.

I myself had no experience at all with unity before this. Better doing a little than nothing at all. Doesn't hurt to at least try.

I never did finish the dialog system I was working on, and due to other things taking priority, I most likely wont finish it, at least not in the foreseeable future. I'll put it up as-is within the next few weeks though, so that someone else can pick it up and work on it.

• Like 1

The real issue is that people don't seem to understand that this is a open source thing.

Unless people actually help out and contribute, this project will die for sure. This is being made by the community, for the community.

It was made open source so that others could carry on with it and work on it, even when people like SoD isn't actively working on it anymore.

A lot of people seem to be very interested in the project, and really want it to succeed, but almost none has gone as far as to actually try to contribute, even though they probably are capable of it, which I find a bit sad.

I myself had no experience at all with unity before this. Better doing a little than nothing at all. Doesn't hurt to at least try.

I never did finish the dialog system I was working on, and due to other things taking priority, I most likely wont finish it, at least not in the foreseeable future. I'll put it up as-is within the next few weeks though, so that someone else can pick it up and work on it.

Ah I forgot it was open-source, well I feel silly now.

I wish I could contribute, but I'm currently learning the basics of C#, and know nothing about Unity. When I know enough I'll see how I can help.

Very interesting to see a 3D Zelda64 being developed. I was developing a top-down 3D Zelda game, but needed to completely re-work the sword combat, so I kinda dropped this project. This is very old footage, I'll probably upload newer video showing what I did to improve it, and probably upload the source.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxatvDIndo

I'm interested to see how far this Unity Zelda64 comes, looks good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A couple months ago I fiddled with Hylian Toolbox and created an additional animation using the Deku Scrub model. I basically wanted to give Deku Scrubs a spin kick like Deku Link uses to make them a bit more dangerous when uprooted. You can use it if you want.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.